*Report from the Voyage of the Spammed*

RevNeal

Another article to read: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4260828.html

According to reports on CNN, it sounds like it's affected Island of Oahu more than Big Island (Kona or Hilo) -- but maybe they don't know full story from Kona...

Apparently 1 or more NCL ships were doing turnaround today & tomorrow at HNL, and since no flights in & out of HNL some people may be delayed getting to ship.

This is simply my opinion but simply put Oahu is Big City and Big Island Kona is small town. I think right now because a majority of the population of the Islands is on Oahu that is where you are going to hear about damage and problems from the news media. The island of Hawaii where the earth quake occurred will be reporting far more damage as time passes. I frequent a chat forum called KonaWeb, we use to spend several weeks a year in Kona on vacation. I have been reading some information from these people but there is very limite phone service, and electricity. As well as the start of structural damage coming in. I think over all we will hear soon sadly more damage on the Big Island. Oahu's biggest problems is the electricity and security at the airports.

At the risk of sounding like a "re-run" please know I thrilled I am to know all the spamdammers are safe and sound. There are few words to express how treasured you ALL are on these boards. And Mary, big hugs for you and your family, hope all is well.

Love and continued best wishes throughout your voyage,

Kelly

10:45 AM --- local time ---- Still anchored offshore at Kona. It is unclear whether we are waiting for passengers (still paging 1 cabin) or as backup in case any services are needed by Kona (merely speculation by those of us onboard). We still have 1 tender out, so looks as if we will be here for a while. Shipboard life returning to normal. Otherwise, it is a beautiful day in Hawaii.

Thanks for the update, We are traveling to Hawaii in a few months on another ship line and are worried about the people of Hawaii and all our fellow CCers sailing in this area now.

calm_seas, we are from the Wilkes-Barre, Pa. area and when I saw where you were from I had to reply and let you know that even though we don't know you and don't post on HAL's boards, we are very glad that you and all your cruise mates are safe!

CNN is reporting there was a massive shipment of chocolate toward the dock that probably set off the earthquake.

Hmmmmm......I wonder.......

I'm guessing the CNN you are referencing is the "Chocolate News Network"?

I'm glad to hear the Spamdammers are all okay and add my prayers to the others on this board for Mary and her husband, as well as the others who have been effected by this earthquake.

Good...stay safe!

Absolutely. You can have lots of fun right aboard the ship ... and in relative safety too.

I haven't heard any reports of injuries on the news thus far, but I hope everyone managed to dodge the bullet on this one ... especially AlohaPride and her DH. I guess it will probably take a while for her to get back online and let us know she is safe.

Blue skies and continue to enjoy your cruise.

Wow! An earthquake ... I'm gonna make sure I do the next Spandammers cruise. I've never even heard of an earthquake occurring in Hawaii. Now it occurs when you guys are there. How strange is that? :)

Blue skies ... and seriously ... I am so relieved everyone on your voyage is okay.

--rita

Another article to read: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4260828.html

According to reports on CNN, it sounds like it's affected Island of Oahu more than Big Island (Kona or Hilo) -- but maybe they don't know full story from Kona...

Apparently 1 or more NCL ships were doing turnaround today & tomorrow at HNL, and since no flights in & out of HNL some people may be delayed getting to ship.

Actually Cruisin Kay D,

I believe that there are indeed flights into Honolulu since the 'planes were already in the air and by the time they got to Honolulu would be very short on fuel. at least that's what was reported on CNN from someone at the airport in Honolulu. No flights out though.

Valerie:)

You knew that Spamdammer group was going to rock the boat but I don't think anyone was expecting this kind of rocking!:rolleyes:

Glad to hear all are OK! Would be nice to hear from Mary and family! Hope the power will be restored soon!

I distinctly remember asking those Spamdammers to take good care of the ship and to leave it in at least halfway decent condition since there are a bunch of us CCers just waiting to board ship a week from today. Guess I forgot to say Puleeeeeese!:D

Mary and Keaka: when you get a chance to read this, we all hope that you and your families are okay. All of us on this board have come to love you. By the way you are indeed a very attractive couple and those Spamdammers were so lucky to have met you and to have you as tour guides. They were also so lucky that you took them to The Valley of The Temples since it's a place that many tourists never get to see. I love it there, it is so beautiful.

I'm so glad that all the Spamdammers are fine and that they are enjoying the heck out of the Zaandam but, puleeeeeese take care of her because I have cruise fever and I need that cruise next week.:D

Aloha,

Great photos, thank you so much for posting them.

During this past Christmas/New Year's cruise the Amsterdam also got the "secondary berth" and I believe that it was again a Princess ship that was docked at Aloha Tower.

Maybe Hawaii just doesn't like HAL?:D

We were on the Island Princess in Honolulu on 12/27/05, berthed at the Aloha Tower. The Summit was at the other terminal that day.

We were on the Island Princess in Honolulu on 12/27/05' date=' berthed at the Aloha Tower. The Summit was at the other terminal that day.[/quote']

We were in Honolulu on 12/28/2005 so we just missed each other. Maybe it was an NCL ship that had the Aloha Tower berth but we most definitely had the secondary one. It wasn't really too bad - for one thing it was closer to Hilo Hattie's if that's your thing - not mine but my daughter and granddaughter practically bought up the whole store. I went to The Hale Koa and spent my money there instead.:D

Aloha,

We went to the Aloha Tower after our excursion to Sea Life Park and there were some Japanese tourists up by the lookout, pointing out with excitement the Island and the Summit.

We probably were in Maui at the same time (the 29th) as there was a Holland ship and one of the Pride ships tendered there too.

this answers the question of can you feel a quake on a ship. I've been wondering about this since going on my first cruise (just two weeks after the '94 quake that devastated our area). We missed Kona too (high waves) so I can feel for you guys. I hope the rest of your cruise goes smoothly.

I'm just checking in this afternoon (it's 4:49 here) to say "hi" and let you know that, for the past few hours, we've been cruising along the Big Island's shore, heading for the lava fields at a slow 10 knotts. The Cruise staff put together a bunch of activities for us to enjoy and many of us have spent time chatting, etc.

I wanted to mention that the food and the service aboard have been excellent. I've really been impressed with the Asian and Italian dishes on the Lido, and the food in the Main Dining Room has been quite good. Our service is quick, pleasant, and precise. They only occasionally miss something, but when they discover it (or with RuthC calls attention to it) they act fast to correct it.

Oh, one BIG complaint ... no caviar. :(

They must have picked up a load of chocolates in Honolulu because we have 'em now. :)

Well ... I need to sign off and go get dressed for the evening's festivities. :)

They must have picked up a load of chocolates in Honolulu because we have 'em now. :)

Well ... I need to sign off and go get dressed for the evening's festivities.

Thanks, Greg, for the check-in/update. Glad everyone is having a grand time on your slow boat to Kona. Please forgive my ignorance of Hawaiian geography & your itinerary. I thought you went to Hilo a few days ago, then to Honolulu for a couple of days, now this morning you were docked at Kona, back at the Big Island? Or was the Z still at Honolulu this morning & you cruised on over to Kona? Do you make port calls at other islands?

No caviar? :eek: Good thing Joyce isn't there. Remember her disappointment on Noordam?

Hope you & Ruth get triple chocolates on your pillows tonight! ;)

Have a wonderful time tonight. :)

Thanks, Greg, for the check-in/update. Glad everyone is having a grand time on your slow boat to Kona. Please forgive my ignorance of Hawaiian geography & your itinerary. I thought you went to Hilo a few days ago, then to Honolulu for a couple of days, now this morning you were docked at Kona, back at the Big Island? Or was the Z still at Honolulu this morning & you cruised on over to Kona? Do you make port calls at other islands?

Howdy Susan, don't want to speak for the Rev but their itinerary shows THU in Hilo, the Big Island, FRI and SAT in Honolulu, Oahu, this morning/today in Kona, the Big Island, passing Kilauea tonight and tomorrow in Lahaina, Maui. (unless things have changed drastically, big ships can't dock at Kona, it's a tender port). I guess they're not doing Nawiliwili, Kauai on this one. Nice place also!

Greg, this is all your fault!!!!!:D

Wasn't the Rev there when Mt. St. Helens erupted also. Is this a trend? :eek:

I distinctly remember asking those Spamdammers to take good care of the ship and to leave it in at least halfway decent condition since there are a bunch of us CCers just waiting to board ship a week from today. Guess I forgot to say Puleeeeeese!

Hey, they are leaving the SHIP in great shape, it's just the ISLAND they wreaked!

I heard about the earthquake last night, but have just gotten a chance to post now .

Very glad that all you Spammers are safe and sound.

Hoping that Mary and her family as well as everyone effected are safe and sound also.

Thank you for all the updates.

Revneil,

I was wondering what kind of Internet access the DAM ships have, Wireless, café, etc... And how much it costs? I suppose you brought your laptop... Sounds like a great crusie......

Massdam December 06-January 07

I'm just checking in this afternoon (it's 4:49 here) to say "hi" and let you know that, for the past few hours, we've been cruising along the Big Island's shore, heading for the lava fields at a slow 10 knotts. The Cruise staff put together a bunch of activities for us to enjoy and many of us have spent time chatting, etc.

I wanted to mention that the food and the service aboard have been excellent. I've really been impressed with the Asian and Italian dishes on the Lido, and the food in the Main Dining Room has been quite good. Our service is quick, pleasant, and precise. They only occasionally miss something, but when they discover it (or with RuthC calls attention to it) they act fast to correct it.

Well ... I need to sign off and go get dressed for the evening's festivities. :)

Wasn't the Rev there when Mt. St. Helens erupted also. Is this a trend? :eek:

Hey, they are leaving the SHIP in great shape, it's just the ISLAND they wreaked!

Hi Kathy,

My point is that they have all those extra hours aboard the ship now. If they can wreck an island then just think what they can do to a ship with all that extra time on their hands.

Heck, they already ran out of chocolate and had to send out for more.

Valerie:D

Archived