*Report from the Voyage of the Spammed*

RevNeal

Greetings!

As has already been reported, we're ok. The ship shook horribly this morning ... felt like a VERY bad cavitation, but it was an earthquake ashore propagating through the water to us. Very strange. And, as others have reported, shore operations have been canceled and the ship recalled all those who had already gone ashore for the 7:30 am excursions.

Now ... YESTERDAY. As Ruth said, it was a WONDERFUL DAY. And I want to offer my DEEPEST thanks to Mary and Keaka for their wonderful grace to us in taking us around the island! :D

I've got photos to upload, and will do so in a minute. So ... watch for the pictures to be linked to this thread in a few minutes.

From ABC News....

The U.S. Geological Survey says several aftershocks followed it, including one that measured in at 5.8 in magnitude.

There's no word yet how much damage they may have done. The quake hit just a few miles north-northwest of Kailua Kona, a town on the west coast of the Big Island, said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist at the National Earthquake Information Center, part of the U.S. Geological Survey. Blakeman says researchers are still trying to determine just how many aftershocks hit.

He says there's no risk of a Pacific-wide tsunami, but the tremblers could mean significant wave activity in Hawaii. The quake occurred about 155 miles to the southeast of Honolulu, the state capital, in Oahu.

So happy to hear that all aboard are safe....been reading your thread & enjoying it. Mary is in my c/c group for Dec 16, what a sweetheart!!!! Hoping that she is safe as well.....hoping you enjoy the rest of your cruise.....happy sailing.......

We just received word that we will not be allowed to go ashore in Kona today. We are now raising anchor and proceeding to cruise to observe the volcano from sea later tonight.
A guy on the news was just explaining that quakes in this area are not due to techtonic plates shifting but to "hot spots" of magma expanding under the plate. You may be getting some spectacular volcano views today.:eek:

These were taken from the Waterfall that we walked to and swam in during our private shore excursion.

Ruth on the beach:

ruthcbeach.jpg

The Waterfall!

waterfall1.jpg

Ruth swimming in the waterfall pond:

ruthcswim.jpg

Ruth swimming ... Dan is in the waterfall!

ruthcswim2.jpg

Word from the Volcano Center is that the earthquakes shouldn't affect volcano activity because they were north of the island. With past earthquakes, which are generally south of the island happenned , there was a great change in activity.

I guess spamdammers shouldn't expect any extra show tonight.

Now that we know all our Spamdammers are okay, I have to say this: Greg, this is all your fault!!!!!:D You just can't take that many CC members on a cruise and not expect the earth to shift just a bit!!!!:D :D Have to say I think 6.3 is a little over the top, but .....;)

I'm worried about Mary ... what a wonderful couple she and Keaka make! Mary, you're beautiful. Post as soon as you can to let us know you're okay.

What a treat for everyone to have Mary as your friend and guide.

The pictures are fabulous. Love them, Greg. Thanks for sharing your fun with us.

That waterfall and pond look 'heavenly'.

How fantastic of Mary and her husband to take you around. What a real treat for you to have your private tour guide.

Continue to enjoy and stay safe, all of you.

Just off the phone w/ Scotty - cell service is spotty so this is after like 4 short calls...

All's well - They're excited about being able to see the hot red lava fields around the volcano tonite since thy wouldn't have been able to see anything if they went as scheduled.

He said it felt like a big rumble throughout the ship that lasted something like 15 seconds - he thought they'd lost a propeller or hit something...* (the problems on Oosterdam last week coming to mind)

....then of course the Captain came on informing pax what had happenned & that Mayor of Kona said "Go home, No power"

Everyone now seems to be settling on for a day by the pool sipping Wang-Wangs...

Thanks for letting us all know that you're all OK. After hearing of the earthquake, I grabbed my laptop and checked in to the official Spammed thread.

Greg, your photos are great. It's so neat to put faces to names we've come to know.

Sorry you'll miss Kona, but good to here you're all safe aboard the Zaandam!

Peggy

I just heard that 90% of Oahu is without power so chances are it will be a while before we hear from Mary. So far, they are saying no reports of injuries, thankfully. Of course, we are all hoping Mary and her family are safe.

Oh My, I am with Heather on this. It has to be because of Greg and the Spam Dammers. I think Pele the Hawaiian Volcano God was upset with way to many CCer's coming to his Island:D

Seriously though I feel bad that you could not make it to Kailua Kona my favorite place in the whole world (except a HAL Ship) I hope that everyone on the Islands are safe and not too much damage.

I was out this morning and not on line so I first caught wind of this from Sea Gypsy1 who is with the Spam Dammers. She emailed me this morning to tell me about it. It was good to hear from her. I know we would have been seriously upset to miss Kona because we would hav had the day planned to get up to the Sunday Brunch at the Mauna Kea Resort.

I know that small earth quakes are not that rare in the Island but one of this size is very rare.

Because of the quake they may get to see some spectacular Lava Flow this evening.

Keep us all posted.:)

I just spoke with my sister in law by cell phone. She lives on Maui and said that the quake woke her up and dumped perfume bottles, pictures and a lamp on the floor. They now have power again. Only out for a short time but local TV news station keeps going in and out. She has lived in Maui for over twenty years and has never experienced anything like this in Maui and this earth quake was stronger than anything she experienced when living in L.A., Calf.

I'm glad all you spamdamers are safe. Enjoy your day on ship.

Wendy

10:45 AM --- local time ---- Still anchored offshore at Kona. It is unclear whether we are waiting for passengers (still paging 1 cabin) or as backup in case any services are needed by Kona (merely speculation by those of us onboard). We still have 1 tender out, so looks as if we will be here for a while. Shipboard life returning to normal. Otherwise, it is a beautiful day in Hawaii.

Glad you all are safely on board. Just saw on CNN that North Kona Hospital has been evacuated. Lots of landslides. Really sad. Let's keep all those on the Islands in our prayers. No reports of injuries yet, from what I'm hearing. But this will be a major disruption of things for a few days.

Wow - what a rollercoaster the past couple of pages have been.

Really hope Mary & her family are OK. With all that power out, I'm guessing it'll be a while before we hear from her. Sure hope it's sooner, rather than later, tho.

Ruth - you little devil, you. Skinny-dipping at Waimea Falls! :eek:

Greg - those pix of the 3 of you in blue - fantastic! Sure looks like you, Christopher & Scotty enjoyed your evening. But where's the pic of all of you wearing the coconut cups & banana leaves? ;) :D :eek: The Buddhist temple shots are fabulous. Thanks for sharing all of your pix.

Everyone - stay safe & thanks for keeping us updated here at home. :)

Archived