"Celebrity does not provide shampoo and conditioner onboard..."

Marylander

...said Celebrity rep (Violett) on the phone. "Only soap", she added charmingly.

Since this is my first time on Celebrity, I am confused - such statement implies that I have to bring my own hair care stuff :confused:...

Even cheap hotels provide toiletries of that kind for guests.

Industry trend??!

I have seen "costsaving" solutiuons onboard of Princess; they installed a dispenser in the shower stall ("3-in-1" - liquid soap/shampoo/conditioner...), but what I've heard today is a bit astonishing.

Former Celeb cruisers - is this really true?

The issue may seem small, but if my DW needs to fly two bottles of shampoo and conditioner across the country (sans. TSA...), I would prefer to know for sure.

I am pretty sure shampoo and conditioner were NOT provided on our Constellation cruise this summer in the Baltic. The reason I am pretty sure is this--I usually take my own so don't pay much attention whether a cruise line provides it or not. But I left mine in the shower at the hotel in London precruise. Didn't think too much about it because cruise lines usually give you the stuff. Well, I had to purchase a bottle of Pert Plus in one of the shops because there was nothing in the cabin for me to use. That's why I am pretty sure the CS rep you talked to was right.

Wait, just remembered there was one of those units in the shower that had that stuff in it!

We just returned from a Celebrity cruise (Zenith) and I can confirm there is a shampoo dispenser in the shower on the wall. No teensy weensy little bottles though. There's also a hand lotion dispenser near the sink.

Constellation in the Baltic had both the mini-bottles and the dispenser in the bathroom.

The small bottles have been removed in favor of dispensers in the shower. However, they definitely have it there.

I believe in Suites and Concierge Class, you can still get the small bottles though.

We were on the Summit in September and they did have a shampoo dispenser in the showers. We also were in the cc class and they had the same mystery solution in little bottles labeled shampoo/conditioner. From past experience on cruise ships, I cannot get a comb through my hair when I use they mystery concoction on ship. I always carry small bottles of shampoo and conditioner whenever I go on a cruise ship.

Well, that's exactly the reason why my DW asked me to solicit your guys opinion on this! But... The cruise length is 2 weeks, we are going to swim our hearts out, thus, "mystery concoction" is not a solution for her.

UPDATE: I spoke with three different Celebrity reps about this (two more after I started the post), and - as in the case with dress code onboard - I've got three different answers. Besides first "NO! Bring your own!", I've heard "YES, but this differs for different stateroom type" (meaning that CC level has separate bottles of shampoo/conditioner), and "YES, absolutely - in ALL staterooms they have toiletries with separate sh./con.!".

The truth, of course, is out there.

Thank you, all, for being patient and helpful with your insights. I will let you know after our cruise what really was in our bathroom...

Hi Marylander (from another Marylander). I was on the Constellation in the Baltic this May/June and I had the large shampoo dispenser in the shower (and the hand lotion dispenser next to the sink). Not sure what brand it was, but I can confirm with the others that it wasn't very good. I should have asked for something different from my room steward. I was in the family ocean view room which doesn't get the perks like the CC class and suites. But, when I was on the Constellation last September I couldn't use the soap that was provided (just had a balcony there). I mentioned it to the room steward and the next thing you know I saw this mysterious glass of blue gel show up in the bathroom. He obviously got some of the shower gel that is given to the folks in the higher categories. My advice is to bring some of the brand you like, but ask if there is anything else available - maybe they'll bring you those little bottles.

I have seen "costsaving" solutiuons onboard of Princess; they installed a dispenser in the shower stall ("3-in-1" - liquid soap/shampoo/conditioner...), but what I've heard today is a bit astonishing.

Princess actually has seperate shampoo and conditioner. They use recyclable paper containers but it is seperate. It is RCCL that has the shower dispensers.

I too purchased shampoo and conditioner from the Spa Salon. I did not want to pack mine, due to the weight, etc. With being in the sun, salt air and pool and sea water I decided my hair could use the treat. It was not that much money and a great product. I was glad I made the purchase!

Traveled on the Summit in May and there was shampoo in a dispenser. I had asked what kind of shampoo it was because I thought it was good stuff. On the last day of the cruise I was surprised to find a big bottle of it in my room after comenting on how much I liked it.

I was also on the Summit (Concierge Class) in May 2005 and we had the dispenser in the shower and also little bottles provided. But once I had my hair done in their salon I purchased the Steiner line of hair products...they are wonderful. Everytime I open one of the little bottles of shampoo that I saved to take home I'm reminded of how much I love the ship and our cruise to Alaska.

Just got off the Mercury today and we had an inside cabin for our 3 night cruise. They only provided shampoo (no conditioner) in a dispenser on the shower wall. There was a "lotion" dispenser near the sink and they provided 2 little soap bars to wash with.

Hope this info helps.

I just simply would not take the chance with the shampoo and cond. on board. We have always had the combination in the shower but I found on the first cruises that it dried out my hair. On longer cruises I found that it stripped the color. I finally realised obviously I'm much better off taking my own.

I also counted on the lotion dispenser in the bathroom but sometiimes it's great, sometimes obviously it hasn't been used in a while and it smelled rancid. I spent one cruise using this lotion and I couldn't even stand to get into the elevator with this on.

I would definately recommed bringing your own products unless you plan to purchase products on board.

Alohavictoria, When the lotion smelled rancid and I asked the cabin steward if he could possibly change it out, he said that no he couldn't until it was empty.

Since then I have been taking my own.

I finally wised up after a few cruises. Take your own hair products that work best for you and bring along your favorite lotions and potions unless you are ready to spend major money in the spa.

The spa is a good thing but not everyone wants to spend a fortune there. Some do, some don't. :)

I also counted on the lotion dispenser in the bathroom but sometiimes it's great, sometimes obviously it hasn't been used in a while and it smelled rancid. I spent one cruise using this lotion and I couldn't even stand to get into the elevator with this on.

I always bring my own products but if I had rancid lotion in my container and the room steward refused to change it, the Grand Pupa of Housekeeping would have received an immediate call.

That is really an unacceptable answer.:(

Even cheap hotels provide toiletries of that kind for guests. Industry trend??!

Former Celeb cruisers - is this really true?

The issue may seem small, but if my DW needs to fly two bottles of shampoo and conditioner across the country (sans. TSA...), I would prefer to know for sure.

You are absoulutely correct. Hotels, ESECIALLY, in light of the new TSA rules, are going in the absolute OPPOSITE direction, providing their guests with all types of toiletry amenities. There must be a lot more competition in the hotel industry and not enough in the cruise industry for the two to be going in opposite directions.

How cheap can the cruise lines get?

First of all you can bring your shampoo and conditioner on the plane (checked luggage) in a packed ziplock bag in case it leaks. Or you can purchase shampoo and conditioner before embarking on your cruise- problem solved.

I use a special shampoo and conditioner and would not rely on Celebrity for a good quality shampoo or conditioner.

Why would anyone want to use an unknown product- especially conditioner?

The shampoo/conditioner combo in the shower made a good bath soap! I bring a cheap bath sponge/loufa with and just leave it there.

My DH & I are in hotels several times a year and I make it a point to collect the small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and sewing kits each time and save them for our next cruise. They weigh next to nothing and I can toss it when they are empty. I pass the sewing kits out to friends to keep in their purses, desks, etc and I always travel w/one in our suitcase for any last minute repairs.

The shampoo/conditioner combo in the shower made a good bath soap! I bring a cheap bath sponge/loufa with and just leave it there.

My DH & I are in hotels several times a year and I make it a point to collect the small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and sewing kits each time and save them for our next cruise. They weigh next to nothing and I can toss it when they are empty. I pass the sewing kits out to friends to keep in their purses, desks, etc and I always travel w/one in our suitcase for any last minute repairs.

I do the same thing, have a whole bunch of them from Atlantic City Hotels. They also make great stocking stuffers for young teens at Christmas.

Absolutely bring your own as the mystery stuff is quite awful:( and what is sold in the onboard shops quite $$$.

I agree, the stuff they had on Galaxy was not in any way exceptional. Take your own or what I did was take several travel size of the type the DH and I prefer and it lasted the two weeks.

Alohavictoria, When the lotion smelled rancid and I asked the cabin steward if he could possibly change it out, he said that no he couldn't until it was empty.

I would have emptied it into the trash so fast, the cabin steward's head would have spun. Then, I would ask him/her to refill the lotion AND take out the trash!:D

Archived