Top Chef

Curt Jerome Wild

Oooh, CJW, love the new avatar. A touch of danger there.

I was shocked at Julia in the Hell's Kitchen finale.

I was really surprised at how the two "restaurant" teams on Top Chef did in their second attempt. What a turn around! Sarah really did act like the head chef in the kitchen, and her team mates seemed to support that:eek:

There was no doubt to me that Tre was going this week. They didn't like either of his two dishes and he ran the kitchen. When I heard that one dish described to begin with I thought "yuck." And, I could just hear Chef Ramsey say "too many ingredients (I watched Kitchen Nightmares on BBC -- that's how I grew to love that old footballer).

I really do feel that the editing is more show-to-show this time, and not thought out as much. The heroes and villains aren't very clear. Hung is looking much more positive than the earlier episodes. Howie goes into the background a lot, even with the small group left. I like the tall dude's attitude, but watching him work still make my back hurt.

I still think Howie (or Hung) could win. I feel like this show has a male bias, so I'm not even considering the ladies.

CJW, I so agree with you about Ted. I adore him (of course I love all the Queer Eye folks -- I got teary at the end of almost every episode). And I am so over Chef Tom. Get that tattletale out of the kitchen!!!

I have to say there haven't been many dishes this season that I wanted the recipe for.

Well a female won the 1st season (out of the last two people/females standing), but I don't have much hope of Casey taking it home for this one.

Harold won season 1, with Tiffani coming in second. Ilan and Marcel were the two finalists in season two, with Ilan winning.

In season 1 of Hell's Kitchen, a woman won. I really feel like Top Chef has a male bias in episode after episode. That's one vibe I never get from Gordon Ramsey. We're watching his Kitchen Nightmares Revisited on BBC and he put a girl in charge of a kitchen who was just working there to help her boyfriend because he thought she was good...and then hired her to come work at his restaurant in London. Probably wasn't very nice of him to poach folks from the restaurant he was supposed to be helping (he hired her boyfriend, too), though.

I just found this thread today. I love Top Chef, especially since it has been about the only good program on for a while. I had never watched it before this season, and the only reason I tuned in was to see Anthony Bourdain. I was hooked after that. I just wish he were on there more.

I hated to see Tre go, but his dishes were terrible, and he didn't delegate enough to the others and wasn't a good leader. However, don't you think Howie should have gone home the week before because of the awful risotto? Also, he sweats in his food! Yuck!

Now with Tre gone, I don't know who to root for.

Alicia

Sovereign of the Seas—July 2000

Grandeur of the Seas—March 2003

Adventure of the Seas—Feb 2004

Mariner of the Seas—May 2005

Rhapsody of the Seas—April 2006

Freedom of the Seas—Feb 2007

Voyager of the Seas—March 2008-- CAN”T WAIT!!

Now with Tre gone, I don't know who to root for.

Hung is blowing my mind with the diversity of his skills. He knows his kitchen. He knows the flavors. He started out so aggressive but has dialed it back so much I think it's hurting him in challenges where they have to work together. I think he's my favorite. I just get a kick out of seeing him rush around the kitchen.

And I admit that I like Howie -- attitude and all. Of course, the risotto could have done him in -- but they sent a girl home.

I'm not even much of a feminist, but it seems like in the early weeks, the judges would bring in their favorite chefs and they would be all women except for one man -- and the man won. Then they would bring in their least favorites and it would be all men, except for one woman -- and the woman got cut. Well, enough griping. I won't go there anymore.:o

I earlier this week Bravo replayed all of Season 2, and I caught some of the episodes. That season seemed to be more interesting, especially with Marcel. Then I watched the season 1 and season 2 challenge. That Steven guy from season 1 was so arrogant, that it would be difficult to work in a kitchen with him. (Kind of like Howie or Hung, though Hung does seem to be getting better.) I thought it was interesting that Marcel knew Hung and he thinks Hung is great. I really like Ted Allen this season over Gail. But what I would really like to see is Howie try to shave Hung's head!

Alicia

Sovereign of the Seas—July 2000

Grandeur of the Seas—March 2003

Adventure of the Seas—Feb 2004

Mariner of the Seas—May 2005

Rhapsody of the Seas—April 2006

Freedom of the Seas—Feb 2007

Voyager of the Seas—March 2008-- CAN”T WAIT!!

I think each season has been a steady decline interest wise...

I agree. But I'm still watching:rolleyes:

I want to blame the editing. I get the feeling they made a conscious effort to minimize the "casting" of different contestants in "roles" through the editing. I think I heard that after last season, Marcel was actually attacked by a viewer (I might have that wrong).

However, by not creating personalities, you don't really care about anyone, positive or negative. At the same time, they haven't focused more on the food, either.

And I have grown to despise Chef Tom. He's no Tim Gunn, that's for sure.

DH (who actually watches this with me)brought up something about the restaurant challenge: he thought it was wrong for all the judges to go first to one place then to the other -- they should have split up. That way they might be less influenced by what other judges said, plus their appetities would be in different stages.

He had a good point. The judges are always talking to each other as they eat instead of forming their own opinion and then defending it (like on Project Runway).

I think this past episode where they pitted season 1 vs. season 2 was a prime example also of how the competing chef's overall skills are declining by season as well.

I thought it was a lil amusing how one of season 3's contestants had made the comment how they'd be able to beat out either of the other two. Definitely would not!

And I happen to still have my little crush on Marcel =) Hehe.

(spoiler alert if you're not current)

Frankly I think Howie had the right attitude this past episode. I would love to see an unedited version of that section when he wanted to quit. I bet a lot more was said there.

DH got so frustrated with the challenge this time he said he wasn't watching any more. Chef Tom (boo!) just totally got under our skin with his nitpicking attitude when they only had $350 for that meal.

Of course, it was LOL time when the guests swarmed the appetizers. Real "beautiful people" have far too much cool to do that.

This show has totally lost focus. It's not about the food anymore. The thing that Sarah fixed looked good in the two seconds they showed it and the judges liked that dish, but what was it? I really wanted to know. Same with almost all the dishes.

The show isn't about drama or personalities, either. Hung, who started out like a ball of fire now just looks depressed. It's an hour long program yet we're getting no feel for the food or the people (except for Howie). Bad editing. No focus.

And while seafood guy (I still don't have all the names) did great job with the budget and shopping, did he get any commendation for that? NO. Just criticism for letting food leave that the kitchen that the judges didn't like. So, was he supposed to say, "Sorry, no appetizers after all, mates." Puhleese...

I have to wonder about some of the cooking judgements these chefs are making, too. CJ replaced goat cheese with yogurt? Totally different consistencies. I'm no chef, but I know that wouldn't work. Getting cream cheese and seasoning it would have been a much better choice. That's basically what boursin cheese is and that's a worthy substitute for goat cheese.

Howie's phyllo wrapped asparagus is a recipe I make (it's in Martha Stewart's hors d'ouvres cookbook). I was suprised it wasn't something he developed. Don't know why his was greasy. Mine never is.

I agree with the poster that the chefs are going downhill. And so is the show. I'll probably finish the season, but I'm getting much for pleasure out of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares Revisited on BBC America. That's about a real love of good food.

• 2 weeks later...

Such a class act brought down by a small thing like broccolini.

Finally, an episode where they showed and described each dish!:)

But did any get the impression that they didn't actually ask flight attendants what they thought of the food? If they showed that, I sure missed it.

Chef Tom and that other chef were totally over the top in their complaints. When they were on the plane together it was like to teen girls sniping everything in sight.

I was glad Hung's dish went over so well after Chef Tom gave him grief over Choosing sea bass. Take that, Tom!

I was away last week (cruisin! lol) so I only got caught up last night. I think Sarah's the next to go, and if anything was only kept around this time due to the fact she's one of only two females left.

Casey and Dale have my votes at this stage.

How was your cruise?

I agree with you about Sarah. My faves are Hung and Casey. I've liked Hung from the start, even when he was being protrayed as obnoxious (which is coming into play again now).

Wow. Did Hung show his stuff in the last episode or what!

I thought it was a little crummy for the other chefs to ask him how he cooked his quick fire dish after he said how well it went over. And even worse for them to act like he was selfish for not telling them.

He and Casey seem so much better than the other two I'll be really surprised if one them isn't the winner. I'm pulling for Hung. He's so focused and he understands food.

Chef Tom just couldn't quit harping on coq au vin requiring an old rooster. He's an old rooster IMHO.:D

I was pleasantly surprised at Hung last week - maybe he does want to be friends. I started thinking that his aloofness could be part of his culture. Whatever it is he is a talented chef.

The thing that bothered me last week though is that the guest chef seemed to be sexist. I know we can't taste the food but from the comments on the elimination round I got the feeling that Casey's was better. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The thing that bothered me last week though is that the guest chef seemed to be sexist. I know we can't taste the food but from the comments on the elimination round I got the feeling that Casey's was better. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I believe Tom influenced the decision with all his yammering about what Casey called her dish instead of focusing on what it tasted like. I believe he's the real sexist (because every season women get dumped fast and first) and he's such a loud mouth.Of course, I've grown to really dislike Chef Tom.:mad:

Please, Queer Eye Ted, come back and replace Chef Tom.:D

Good episode.

I thought it was interesting how many of the questions at the judge's table had nothing to do with the food served. Like asking about the goat cheese/onion tart. Asking Hung if he was cooking for the cowfolk. Etc. Obviously all four dishes were good enough that they couldn't find enough wrong to fill the time allotted discussing them.

Hung or Casey -- either way I'm smiling:D

oOo tonights the night...dale or casey, i kinda have a feelin casey will get this one, if only bc it's about time for a female winner...though it is interesting, they have 3 minorities as the last 3 standing. An asian, a gay male and a female. Whoohoo!

I've loved him from the start.

I will say, I suspect the producers weighed in on the final decision. I think they came down right however, since one of the dishes that the judges preferred of Dale's was put together totally by CJ.

But, then... I'm a Huang fan.

I just hate Tom's comments. He's so over the top with everything. "That dish was a mess," for example. All the other chefs on this show have been much more specific in their criticisms, and much more gentle.

Did you notice how Huang was very stiff with Tom in the congratulaitons ending, while hugging everyone else like crazy?

Which dish would I want to eat? Dale's lamb.

I liked having the real chefs as sous chefs for the prep portion. A nice twist and I think it added a lot to the comments at the dining table.

Their transition into live was so bad!!! Survivor has been doing that with style in season after season (yes, I still watch Survivor, and enjoy it). This looked extremely cheesey.

It's always good to see Ted. What a class act he is.

And your take???

Curt,

What about Iron Chef:confused: I lurv that show???

Can I talk about that show here or are you gonna make a new thread for me:p :D

So the first show

Fastest knife contest - don't need to taste that to comment. The guy that won cut up a chicken, frenched a rack of lamb, shucked a bunch of oysters, filleted some salmon, captured 2 cups of coconut milk, and a couple of other things I think - all in under 15 minutes:eek:

John Besh made dessert with Catfish - Catfish bread pudding and a Catfish truffle.....and won. How can you not be intrigued by that?

They sent Traci home - I didn't like her when she competed on Iron Chef so no big deal.

And you thought I only hung out in the Floataway Lounge and wrote posts with too many smilies.......

Alice:p :D

• 2 weeks later...

Oi!

So, (me and all of my family are fine (houses) with the fires, but at the same time it has directly affected us, so been not posting much this past week)...

Just "skimming" through the pages...

At any rate, I still haven't had time to really watch in order to "critique" Top Chef, but I'm glad that Hung won (because then Casey got "Fan Favorite") so it's all good for me...

As far as the new Iron Chef competition, I think it's all good to talk about here, because we've also dicussed Hell's Kitchen, so I think we're all the same group of "fans"...

That being said, only caught a bit of the Iron Chef stuff, but...;)

I'm going to have to check with her personally to see if I'm correct or not, but one of my NYC friends, who also posts once in a while on the Floataway Lounge thread - I think, I think - knows one of the competitors...

I'll check and see with her...

In general though, having "fire" issues which are okay now, but also major Internet and email issues, and I'm supposed to be going on a cruise next week, and with all of this craziness I'm debating day by day to pack and go or not:( ...

In general though, having "fire" issues which are okay now, but also major Internet and email issues, and I'm supposed to be going on a cruise next week, and with all of this craziness I'm debating day by day to pack and go or not ...

I'm going on a cruise next week, too. I don't suppose yours is a trans-Atlantic on Carnival?

Those fires sound horrible. What a disaster! Be careful.

Archived