Has anyone done back to back cruises?? Need to decide!

lookingforward

We booked the Century for April 2 for our family of five. It is the five night itinerary and we were hoping to do something the three days prior to that cruise to make our vacation a full week. We priced disney and they want $500 plus a night for hotels so that is ridiculous. My question...has anyone every booked a four and five night together? I could book both cruises (great, GREAT prices) in a lower cabin. How does the cruise line handle back to back customers? Do you think we would get bored? Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks..

I can't speak to your particular cruise combination, but we have booked several back-to-backs and even one back-to-back-to-back (20 days). There are some pros and cons. The pro is that you get a longer cruise, and assuming you have the same cabin for both cruises you do not get any additional hassles. However, if you are doing this out of the USA you will need to exit the ship and go through immigration..after which you can re-board. The biggest negative has to do with on-board entertainment, since most of the shows will be exactly the same on back to backs. You will also find that the dining room dinner menus will usually repeat.

Hank

My question...has anyone every booked a four and five night together? Thanks..

We are doing exactly that on Century near Thanksgiving. We have a 5 night and then a 4 night. The entertainment and menu will probably be different because there are a lot of folks doing back to backs on Century. :)

hi,

we did b2b on century...but 7 days. nevertheless, a couple of things to consider: although you're going on a 10-night journey, your fellow guests aren't. and the mood that last day of any cruise changes. and even though you're staying aboard, you can't help but get caught up in the mood change (even if it's stumbling across others' luggage in the hall). also, on the dock day (when everyone's getting off and you're staying put), you can't use the gym. at least not when we were there. we were kicked out so they could give tours. it was worse for us, because we changed rooms...and the other people weren't out of our new room in time. that left us passing time alone in the sky lounge waiting.

on the plus side, staff notices you stayed on...and you get a bit of special attention and treatment. and, of course, you have more days of pampering.

We have a suite booked for the five night and I have never had an inside cabin so we thought we would book two of the least expensive rooms first (to save money) and then end with the five night in the suite. I know this sounds kind of silly but the prices for inside are so low and they are refurbished and lovely from the pics I saw. How does it go when you move from cabin to cabin, can you keep the same account for charging or do you have to end one and start another?

I never thought about the same menus, etc. I wonder what differences exist between the four and five night cruises?

If you haven't been to Disney, I would try to find lower priced accommodations - it's a fun place to spend a few days with children!

We have been there at least 20 times since we live so close (3 hours). That is why we are taking a pass this April. Our seasonal passes are not valid that week and the hotels rarely offer discounts. It is a wonderful place, but we will wait until May to go when the Easter crowds are gone.

Rather than doing two back-to-backs on Century- I'd do the April 2nd Constellation, which I believe is 11 days. I am still deciding myself if I want to change to the Constellation. It seems like a better overall value. I have a six year old. We did the Constellation last April and loved it. They have the adults only heated indoor pool, a great walking running track and a better looking fun factory than on Century.

On Century I got such a nice cabin though and my son won't have to miss any school. Decision, decisions.

I would look into finding a longer cruise rather than doing two 5-night cruises back-to-back. For instance, the Zenith is doing an 11-night cruise from Tampa leaving April 2, or you could look at what other cruise lines are doing then.

We've done a couple of B2Bs and will be doing another in December. As mentioned in another post, the menu, entertainment and activities are the same but if the itinerary is different, it isn't quite as noticeable as if you sail B2B with the same itinerary. We've never been required to disembark for immigration purposes and remained onboard during one changeover. We did opt to get off during the other and were given In Transit passes which enabled us to avoid any re-boarding hassle.

On one B2B we had to change cabins but fortunately the second cabin was just a few feet away, was vacated early by the passengers who were leaving, was readied early by the steward and we were able to move our things quickly and easily from one cabin to the other. If the cabins aren't close, you may have to re-pack your things in order to move. If you do have to change, you'd be well advised to notify the cabin steward of the cabin you'll be moving into so readying that cabin will be a priority. Both times our onboard account was closed out after the first week and a new one was opened for the second. Also, if you like your waitstaff from the first leg, you can request to be seated in that waiter's section again, although you won't necessarily be at the same table.

There's a short time between when the last passengers leave the ship and new passengers begin to board - during that time the ship is like your own private yacht - very quiet, no crowds, no activities. It's been our experience that a full lunch is served to B2B passengers in the dining room or they can choose to lunch at the buffet with the on-coming passengers. B2B passengers are required to attend muster on the second leg.

If you don't mind visiting the same ports (unless you're on alternating itineraries), choosing from the same menus, seeing the same entertainment and going through the meeting and greeting process again, you'll enjoy B2B cruises. If any of that is unappealing to you, you'll want to look for an alternative.

Good luck!

I LOVE b2b's! I think the most I've ever done was a b2b2b2b2b! I've loved them all. They used to give the b2b'ers a special off the menu lunch in the dining room but I think that has gone the way of a lot of other things they've cut.

Still, to me, the best part is when everyone else is getting off the ship and you get to stay on for another trip. I don't even care if I'm going to the same places, I can always do something different when I get there. True the menus will be the same but I look on it as an opportunity to try new things or get one more taste of something I especially like.

There is no down side to me for a b2b. If you have to get off for a few minutes, you're usually right back on, so no big deal.

Rather than doing two back-to-backs on Century- I'd do the April 2nd Constellation, which I believe is 11 days. I am still deciding myself if I want to change to the Constellation. It seems like a better overall value. I have a six year old. We did the Constellation last April and loved it. They have the adults only heated indoor pool, a great walking running track and a better looking fun factory than on Century.

On Century I got such a nice cabin though and my son won't have to miss any school. Decision, decisions.

Would that we could! My two oldest are in middle and high school and can't miss the school. Their vacation is April 2 through Monday the 9th.

We booked the Century for April 2 for our family of five. It is the five night itinerary and we were hoping to do something the three days prior to that cruise to make our vacation a full week. We priced disney and they want $500 plus a night for hotels so that is ridiculous. My question...has anyone every booked a four and five night together? I could book both cruises (great, GREAT prices) in a lower cabin. How does the cruise line handle back to back customers? Do you think we would get bored? Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks..

We have a 16-night TA back to backed with a 7-night Caribbean cruise booked for next month.

Whilst the itineraries will obviously be different, we have chosen different types of cabin (balcony and ocean view) on different decks, so we hope we'll fell the same, but different - if you see what I mean!

I am sure that for the second cruise, we will see repetition of meals and entertainment, but with (hopefully) warm Caribbean breezes and starlit skies, we won't care!

I am sure you won't be bored - there is always so much to do. On our forthcoming cruises I'm hoping I'll finish the book I started on our last cruise in May, but didn't finish (and, in case anyone is wondering, no, I'm not a slow reader - just busy busy!!)

When deciding to take the TA cruise, we thought it a shame to travel back immediately, hence the second cruise.

It is interesting to hear that others have been made to totally disembark between cruises.

Thanks for the obvious tip of alerting the cabin steward to our arrival in our second cabin - a very good idea.

Enjoy your cruise(s)!

Would that we could! My two oldest are in middle and high school and can't miss the school. Their vacation is April 2 through Monday the 9th.

I am not really following you. If you kids are only available from April 2-9th what back to back are you talking about?

Love a back to back. Face it, with rising prices on longer cruises, this is a way to get one of the longer cruises for a much better price. We actually booked through two different agencies, as each had a deal that saved a couple of hundred over the other and we were given twice the incentives in our rooms by booking this way. Only thing is, we had to move down the hall and we really fell in love with the location of our first room....so comparing might come into play (whether you change rooms or not). However, we were never bored. There were about 20 of us that did the back to backs ... 7 nights each, eastern then western Caribbean. Even if we did stop at the same ports, still think there are enough options of different things to do to keep you stimulated. Or, take the opportunity to do what few of us think to do on a cruise...sit back and relax!! Go back from your second week of vacation totally rested...or rest up from all the hussle and bustle of life the first week and work up the energy to be on the go the second week. Boredom will probably never set it...there are too many varied things to do and there is always a whole new set of people making the second half totally unique from the first. We did have to disembark for a short time with an 'in transit card' between cruises. Short amount of time spent right off the ship only to re-embark, make our necessary reservations from everything we learned during the first week out and enjoyed the empty pool and navigator lounge until everything filled up again. I highly recommend it...one of my all time favorites....hope it is for you as well...especially if the price is right.

Lookingforward, there is a roll call thread started for the APRIL 2 CENTURY cruise. .... hope you join us on it!

I haven't ever done a back-to-back, but would if I could. (We usually opt for long cruises to begin with, and 2 weeks off at a time is all we can manage right now.) You will love it, and also love the convenience of not having to cart your luggage around to a new spot, too. I say go for it. If it were me in your shoes, that would be the way I'd go.

Nicki

I am not really following you. If you kids are only available from April 2-9th what back to back are you talking about?

It is a four and five night back to back. If we do it, they would only miss one day of school before their vacation starts. They have off Saturday, March 31 through Monday April 9th. SO, we would take the four night century on March 29 (Thursday..they would leave school one hour early since we live so close) then the five night on April 2, returning on April 7 (Saturday). If I took the 11 night on the 2nd it would not return until the 13th (they would miss a whole week).

Lookingforward, there is a roll call thread started for the APRIL 2 CENTURY cruise. .... hope you join us on it!

I haven't ever done a back-to-back, but would if I could. (We usually opt for long cruises to begin with, and 2 weeks off at a time is all we can manage right now.) You will love it, and also love the convenience of not having to cart your luggage around to a new spot, too. I say go for it. If it were me in your shoes, that would be the way I'd go.

Nicki

Thanks! I am joining right now! I can't wait for this vacation!

Love a back to back. Face it, with rising prices on longer cruises, this is a way to get one of the longer cruises for a much better price. We actually booked through two different agencies, as each had a deal that saved a couple of hundred over the other and we were given twice the incentives in our rooms by booking this way. Only thing is, we had to move down the hall and we really fell in love with the location of our first room....so comparing might come into play (whether you change rooms or not). However, we were never bored. There were about 20 of us that did the back to backs ... 7 nights each, eastern then western Caribbean. Even if we did stop at the same ports, still think there are enough options of different things to do to keep you stimulated. Or, take the opportunity to do what few of us think to do on a cruise...sit back and relax!! Go back from your second week of vacation totally rested...or rest up from all the hussle and bustle of life the first week and work up the energy to be on the go the second week. Boredom will probably never set it...there are too many varied things to do and there is always a whole new set of people making the second half totally unique from the first. We did have to disembark for a short time with an 'in transit card' between cruises. Short amount of time spent right off the ship only to re-embark, make our necessary reservations from everything we learned during the first week out and enjoyed the empty pool and navigator lounge until everything filled up again. I highly recommend it...one of my all time favorites....hope it is for you as well...especially if the price is right.

I am so very tempted to do this, I think 9 nights at sea would be so much better for me (stressful job) and the renovations on the century look so wonderful!

We recently booked a back to back on the Queen Mary 2. When I checked the business class airfare to England I found we could sail over and back for less than the price of a 8 1/2 hour flight and one week sail back. The inside cabins are very reasonable.:D :D

My partner and I are planning on doing the 2 night "Century" sailing Jan 4 and then we are sailing on "Queen Mary 2" 4 night on Jan 6. The "Century" sails from Miami and the QM2 sails from Port Everglades. Sounds like fun to me. These are two of our favorite ships!!

Rick

My partner and I are planning on doing the 2 night "Century" sailing Jan 4 and then we are sailing on "Queen Mary 2" 4 night on Jan 6. The "Century" sails from Miami and the QM2 sails from Port Everglades. Sounds like fun to me. These are two of our favorite ships!!

Rick

We also booked the 1/4 sailing! Since we live so close I could not resist the chance to get away and see the new renovations. Wish we were also going on the QM2!

It is a four and five night back to back. If we do it, they would only miss one day of school before their vacation starts. They have off Saturday, March 31 through Monday April 9th. SO, we would take the four night century on March 29 (Thursday..they would leave school one hour early since we live so close) then the five night on April 2, returning on April 7 (Saturday). If I took the 11 night on the 2nd it would not return until the 13th (they would miss a whole week).

Hi lookingforward,

We are also booked for the March 29th and April 2nd back to back!!!

It's nice to see other people on our sailing. We decided after our last 5 nighter, it was just too short (even though it was mixed with a land vacation), but we really wanted to check out the Century. We are also facing the spring break challange with our daughter.

The way I see it, the menus may be the same but it will give me an opportunity to try more than one thing that looks enticing. Plus there is the specialty restaurant. Also, the itineraries vary slightly. In my mind it is a win-win situation.

We'll have to get together for a cocktail onboard!

Tammy

Hi lookingforward,

We are also booked for the March 29th and April 2nd back to back!!!

It's nice to see other people on our sailing. We decided after our last 5 nighter, it was just too short (even though it was mixed with a land vacation), but we really wanted to check out the Century. We are also facing the spring break challange with our daughter.

The way I see it, the menus may be the same but it will give me an opportunity to try more than one thing that looks enticing. Plus there is the specialty restaurant. Also, the itineraries vary slightly. In my mind it is a win-win situation.

We'll have to get together for a cocktail onboard!

Tammy

Tammy, are you staying in the same room for both cruises? We booked a suite on the five day 4/2 but the prices are much higher for the 4 night (go figure),so I was thinking two inside cabins for that first trip. Not sure if it will be a hassle moving, etc. But I am 90% sure I want to do it. We were going to disney for a long weekend but I would much rather have nine nights at sea.

rebeccalouise, I totally understand. Going on both will be a stretch for me too, at work. The kids would wind up missing one and a half days of school. I am SO tempted.

Archived