medical treatment

Because of what happend on the Freedom of the Seas, I also asked this question and then decided to call my health care provider, Blue Cross Blue Shield and it turns out we have world care where as they will cover any expenses for health care while we are on our cruise. I also asked about being helicopter flown off the ship and it is also covered 100% so I would recommend anyone call their provider before they purchase insurance. Of course this isn't trip insurance but it is a great way to know if your health is covered. Also, I received a letter from our provider today with a letter and claim form to bring with us on our cruise. Happy sailing to all

You first need to talk to your doctor about this trip. If he (or she) gives the go ahead, then do it. If the doctor expresses any concerns, then I would wait until a more appropriate time. It's not just the insurance you need to consider. The doctors on the ships may be fine with a bout of seasickness or a headcold or the like, but your heart isn't something to mess with! They truly are NOT equipped for advanced life-saving measures. As far as being heli-vacced--they will fly you to the nearest hospital--which may be ill-equipped as well. I'm not sure I would risk it, unless my doctor said it was OK.

CB at sea, what do you base your opinion of medical care on ships on? I would say that most ships have above average care and some have slightly less then average. I would not feel I could say that on average the care onboard a ship was any worse then what I have seen provided at an average mid sized hospital. To say they can only handle sea seasickness or headcolds is a disservice to those of us in the medical profession.

Sand and water:

Speak to your Doctor regarding this. You can rest assured that there is adequate medical care available for an emergency but if you just got out of the hospital is that really a great place for you to be? Again, ask your doctor for their medical opinion based on your health status.

If you are interested in my professional opinion of the available resources on several cruises I have attended check out this post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=8115097&postcount=40

Mike

In October 2003 I had a heart attack on-board the Grandeur of the Seas. I was treated on-board with clot-busting medication and was transferred on arrival in St. John NB to the regional cardiac facility. The medical care on the ship could not have been better. After cardiac catherization in the hospital, I was transferred two days later by private jet back to my home. The total costs of over $16,00.00 were fully covered by the trip insurance. Don't leave home without it!

They truly are NOT equipped for advanced life-saving measures.

This is not true. I just got off FOS 4 weeks ago. I purposely went down to the medical care facility to ask a few questions. My mother (who was NOT on board with me) is EXTREMELY asthmatic. I needed to specifically know that if worst came to worst and she need to be intubated (breathing tube down her throat), would that be able to be done on the ship? The nurse assured me that there is a full hospital emergency room onboard, and that anything a hospital can do, they are equipped to do there. Then when I got home, I called the Special Services phone number in the back of the brochure, and asked the same questions. I was told the same answers. It would only be logical that, especially these new ships, they would be able to handle any type of emergency out in the middle of nowhere, especially knowing what types of lawsuits are out there. I'm sure they're concerned with their OWN liability, as well as reputation as regards medical procedures. Needless to say, my mother booked us on the Explorer next fall for 9 days!! :)

A few things to remember are:

1. Doctors vary in experience with various illnesses and proceedures. While I am comfortable with the level of most, your own personal physician should clear you for travel and provide a medical summary for you to provide to the ship's medical personnel so they have written notes on what care you have recently had.

2. Personal insurance will only reimburse you for shipboard medical facility visits. Visits onboard vessels must be paid via your Sign and Sail card while onboard. You may bring claim forms for them to complete so you can file for reimbursement upon your return home.

Happy cruising!

The medical facilities on all the ships are not the same. Our friend was recently on the Monarch of the Seas and required medical attention for emphysema and COPD. Ship's medical staff recommended he be transferred to a local hospital as they did not have the means to intubate if it were necessary. Luckily, with medication and oxygen, he recovered and was able to stay on the ship. He had nothing but praise for the medical staff.

I would think the newer, larger ships would have bigger and better medical facilities than the smaller, older ships.

To the OP - here's wishes for a speedy recovery.

Archived