No more Le Bistro chocolate fondue??

jentroubles

Chocolate fondue is one of the easiest things in the world to make at home.

Buy some good quality chocolate chips ( I like semi sweet dark chocolate)

cream

and few pieces of fresh fruit.

melt the chocolate and the cream

wash and chop the fruit

And in less than 15 minutes you have chocolate fondue.

Much easier than cake or pie.

It is nice when someone else does the work, but at least it is one item easy to do at home.:p

I was so disappointed when I saw the dessert I had so anticipated. For some reason I expected cake or something for dipping. I don't like chocolate covered fruit, except bananas.

Make the above recipe, buy some frozen mini cream puffs in the supermarket and serve. YUMMY

All I can think is Drip drip drip. One item at a time little by little they lower the product offering until poof it is "easy cruising" with big ships.

Well....all I can say is I better prepare myself because if they don't have "escargo" at Le Bistro on Dawn in April my husband will throw me over board. :eek:

"Poker and escargo" are the only reasons he agreed to to go. :rolleyes: ;)

Well....all I can say is I better prepare myself because if they don't have "escargo" at Le Bistro on Dawn in April my husband will throw me over board. :eek:

Still had escargot in September on the Dawn.

Only restaurant DH will eat escargot. Really good:)

They also had it one evening in the Venetian but I didn't try it in there.

I was so disappointed when I saw the dessert I had so anticipated. For some reason I expected cake or something for dipping. I don't like chocolate covered fruit, except bananas.

Make the above recipe, buy some frozen mini cream puffs in the supermarket and serve. YUMMY

They did have the bananas at the chocoholic buffet in September:)

I've cruised NCL Dawn and will be cruising NCL Star in February and never gave the chocolate fondue a thought. The chocolate buffet was a disappointment because I was expecting some candy and not just desserts. If they add the fondue to the buffet, I won't miss it on the Star.

You are probably right. The discontinuance of one or two items from the menu does not toll the death knell for NCL. BUT, lowering the per-passenger expenditure on food and gradually ramping back on other popular aspects of its product can prove to be the beginning of a long road downward.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but look at what has been happening to General Motors since they have failed for a number of years to recognize and correctly predict what their customers want. The record books are full with the near-forgotten names of once powerful companies.

I wonder if Mr. Veitch ever reads the Cruise Critic boards.

Totally agree with you. Of course you do not base your decision of a cruise on a chocolate dessert but those little details is what makes the difference between an average cruise to a memorable one.

I've cruised NCL Dawn and will be cruising NCL Star in February and never gave the chocolate fondue a thought. The chocolate buffet was a disappointment because I was expecting some candy and not just desserts. If they add the fondue to the buffet, I won't miss it on the Star.

Didn't they at least have M&Ms at the chocoholic buffet? I've seen them on my last couple cruises (Dawn and Spirit).

For some reason, on the Dawn and Jewel, the fondue is all the way at the BACK of the buffet...even after the ice cream station.

You have to look for it;)

We picked up the tip to order the cheesecake with the fondue, and dip that. A little slice of heaven I will sorely miss if it isn't back before my next cruise:(!

Cream puffs sound great. I like angel food cake, walnuts, strawberries, raspberries, raisins, and ORANGES the best. DH is easy - bananas!

PS you can add a liquer to the chocolate and cream. also many people use the electric or sterno fondue pots, but the microwave will work with just a microwave safe bowl, a double boiler, or just a regular sauce pan on low heat to heat up the chocolate. I would try it once with just the items you have at home before buying a fondue pot just to be sure. My favorite is the electric fondue pot. You can set the pot on really low and keep the chocolate warm for a long period like at a party or gathering and it comes with the skewers, very easy!

Just returned on the Spirit and escargo was still available at Le Bistro so don't dispair! Also, the chocolate fondue was still on the menu - know because I had it!!!! Half pineapple filled with various fruits and then the melted chocolate for dipping. It may be disappearing from the menu, but it was still there for the 10/19 - 10/29 cruise.

I agree - chocolate night was a BIG disappointment for me. Where were the chocolate candies that were available on the Crown last year? They were missing on the Spriti.

Didn't they at least have M&Ms at the chocoholic buffet? I've seen them on my last couple cruises (Dawn and Spirit).

The first time I encountered the chocoholic buffet was before freestyle when they still had the midnight buffets. When I found myself staying up and waiting in line to eat M&M's I decided it was time to have my head examined.:)

P.S. The M&M's were my favorite part though.

The first time I encountered the chocoholic buffet was before freestyle when they still had the midnight buffets. When I found myself staying up and waiting in line to eat M&M's I decided it was time to have my head examined.:)

Now that is just too funny! Thanks for my daily chuckle!:D

...chip...

But that's OK. :rolleyes:

In the Bistro, they already charge extra for it! LOL It was in the price of the meal

So your cute little comment isn't correct (but that's OK )

Or don't you understand???

-Monte

I understand. Another chip away. I guess you missed my point.

But that's OK. I'd also be happy with "less for your money".

Maybe next will be the "real" salad.

And that will be OK too.

Personally, I don't automatically assume that a change in the menu is "less for your money" or a chip away (especially with all the complaints in the past about the menus). It seems you do. You don't seem to believe those that has said it's going to be available FOR FREE at the Choc. Buffet. I'm willing to give it a chance. Heck, I don't even know if you've ever eaten it, or what you thought of it if you did (BTW-I have-several times). And even though I've enjoyed it, in the Bistro, I'm certainly not going to spend as much time fretting over it as you do. I guess you might be more happy if they double the fare and give you "free" soda, fondue, and take out the spa pool. If I were as worried about all this as you seem to be, I would probably drop NCL like a rock, choose another cruise line (or quite cruising altogether), and cease attempting to rain on the parade of those who enjoy NCL. But that's just me. Please note, b4 you accuse me of making a personal attack in that last line, I'm not, I'm just saying what I would do.

-Monte

Personal attack? Not at all. Invited? "DUCK AND COVER"? Maybe.

And I'm not automatically assuming anything.

You seem to think I'm zeroing in on one line, and I've not once. The topic just happens to be on this board. I have seen this across all boards. All the mass lines. That's my beef.

Am I worried? Not at all. I can put my $$ any place I like. I just don't like to see after 20 years of cruising a downgrading of my vacation of choice, or that I might have to change or upgrade myself just to "keep even", because my vacation of choice has downgraded itself.

Others don't seem to mind. :confused:

I've upgraded myself over the years where, as pricing has gone down as the popularity increased, the $1400 PP for the OV I got on my first cruise, is now spent on better accomodations.

I'm interested in engaging in a healthy discussion among my cruising peers. Isn't that why we're here?

I'm just not sure why some are defending a business (in your case, NCL, and I'm not sure what else you've sailed).

I watched a line remove lobster from their menu. Bad decision, cause bookings dropped like flies. They quickly reinstated it. :cool:

Something as simple as going to a fast food restaurant, being used to getting something as simple as ketchup or a chicken sauce, am startled when now asked for it, I am charged. :confused:

So, for that 10¢, I will no longer go there. I will go elsewhere. They have lost a customer. I think the person making the decision made a bad one. Penny wise, dollar foolish. Others might applaud it. :rolleyes:

As long as we sit back and don't vocalize our displeasure with the downgrading of service, services, and the like, the $399 cruise will feel just like that. Cheap cruises attract cheap cruisers.

Now am I concerned that the fondue is removed from the French restaurant? Not at all. Just questioning the motives.

And if someone has the answer, I can't wait to read it.

That's what a message board is all about. :)

I never had the chocolate fondue - what's so wonderful about it? Is it melted chocolate with various tidbits to dip, like strawberries, poundcake, cookies, bananas, cheesecake bits, etc? It does sound lovely, I've had it as a few land-side restaurants.

One thing that will never change is that everything will always change.

Archived