No more Le Bistro chocolate fondue??

jentroubles

The first time I encountered the chocoholic buffet was before freestyle when they still had the midnight buffets. When I found myself staying up and waiting in line to eat M&M's I decided it was time to have my head examined.:)

P.S. The M&M's were my favorite part though.

We were never terribly impressed with the choc buffet, like you said, even before freestyle. It is more for looking at than eating. NMnita

Personal attack? Not at all. Invited? "DUCK AND COVER"? Maybe.

And I'm not automatically assuming anything.

You seem to think I'm zeroing in on one line, and I've not once. The topic just happens to be on this board. I have seen this across all boards. All the mass lines. That's my beef.

Am I worried? Not at all. I can put my $$ any place I like. I just don't like to see after 20 years of cruising a downgrading of my vacation of choice, or that I might have to change or upgrade myself just to "keep even", because my vacation of choice has downgraded itself.

Others don't seem to mind. :confused:

I've upgraded myself over the years where, as pricing has gone down as the popularity increased, the $1400 PP for the OV I got on my first cruise, is now spent on better accomodations.

I'm interested in engaging in a healthy discussion among my cruising peers. Isn't that why we're here?

I'm just not sure why some are defending a business (in your case, NCL, and I'm not sure what else you've sailed).

I watched a line remove lobster from their menu. Bad decision, cause bookings dropped like flies. They quickly reinstated it. :cool:

Something as simple as going to a fast food restaurant, being used to getting something as simple as ketchup or a chicken sauce, am startled when now asked for it, I am charged. :confused:

So, for that 10¢, I will no longer go there. I will go elsewhere. They have lost a customer. I think the person making the decision made a bad one. Penny wise, dollar foolish. Others might applaud it. :rolleyes:

As long as we sit back and don't vocalize our displeasure with the downgrading of service, services, and the like, the $399 cruise will feel just like that. Cheap cruises attract cheap cruisers.

Now am I concerned that the fondue is removed from the French restaurant? Not at all. Just questioning the motives.

And if someone has the answer, I can't wait to read it.

That's what a message board is all about. :)

Why the removal of fondue, who knows, I still say it is just the change in menu, it isn't due to the cost I don't think. If it is, and you have been sailing as long as you have, you know what has happened. Cruising on mass marketed lines is no more for the upper middle class and upper class. It is for all classes, seniors as well as familis, those who have to struggle to even get enough money for an inside cabin as well as those who have the money and prefer suites. With the price staying the same (actually lower) many aspects of cruising we used to enjoy have been replaced. I, for one, like the idea I can choose where to spend my money on board. Again, I don't think a few changes in the menu will make or break the cruise line. If you see it on one, others will follow. One line used to offer hot and cold appitizers at cocktail hour every night> About a month ago they discontinued this, at least the hot part. There are some who are very disappointed in this, but I doubt one person will choose to cruise another line because it. NMNita

We may adjust to change in our cruising but it can take some time...:( How many years has it been since NCL started the speciality resturants? Did most of the other cruise lines also introduce this change? Why did the cruise companies go to this concept..? I have never paid for a speciality dinner on a cruise yet but had plan to do so when we sail on the NCL Sun later this year... My reason was based on the many good comments made here on CC concerning Le Bistro and the Fondue..:) .. Yes I can see that the cruise industry will continue to find ways to make more money from their cruisers once they are on the ship.... It is the way of business... All I can do is make the decision on which ship and which cruise line to sail based on the enjoyment and return on my investment in the cruise... When it becomes a nickle and dime cruise where the cruise company is charging for everything or lowering the quality of the product then I will look elsewhere... that is also business...

We may adjust to change in our cruising but it can take some time...:( How many years has it been since NCL started the speciality resturants? Did most of the other cruise lines also introduce this change? Why did the cruise companies go to this concept..? I have never paid for a speciality dinner on a cruise yet but had plan to do so when we sail on the NCL Sun later this year... My reason was based on the many good comments made here on CC concerning Le Bistro and the Fondue..:) .. Yes I can see that the cruise industry will continue to find ways to make more money from their cruisers once they are on the ship.... It is the way of business... All I can do is make the decision on which ship and which cruise line to sail based on the enjoyment and return on my investment in the cruise... When it becomes a nickle and dime cruise where the cruise company is charging for everything or lowering the quality of the product then I will look elsewhere... that is also business...

The old ocean liners all had pay restaurants. As far as NCL the first cruise I was on the Sea (Seaward) in 1989 was the first NCL ship with a pay resturant and I loved it. Every NCL cruise since then I have been on had a Bistro. As of late with freestyle they have expanded to many different choices.

Wow, who would have thunk this post would have touched off such a firestorm.

Just to be clear, I will still be cruising with NCL. I do not cruise for one dessert. I am sad that they took it off the menu and posted about it because I was hoping the collective outrage might be noted. I have been on here long enough to know that most people rave about the fondue and many look forward to it.

And thank you all for reminding me of the chocolate buffet. Yes, I know it is there. I have braved the lines of rude people. I have watched people gorge themselves. I have silently said a prayer for the frazzled staff. I've seen the waste in the hallways the day after. The chocolate and the ambiance is NOT the same.

I enjoyed the fondue because it was delicious. I have trie to make it but have had little success in duplicating it. Probably because what made it even better was the staff who was always helpful and offered more chocolate/fruit/cake whatever. It was the friends who always shared it with me after a wonderful meal. It was the beautiful surroundings. I am saddened that it won't be part of my New Year's eve dinner this year. I would be more than willing to pay extra for it.

I guess I just don't understand WHY they dumped it. I know they are looking for a new menu, chocolate fondue was close to a 'signature' dessert. I know that they are looking to change and improve the menu--- but why mess with a good thing??? As I mentioned before--- I would spend at least $10 (about the price of a drink for it!) My drug of choice is chocolate these days anway!

I say we need a poll-- Chocolate fondue. Bring it back or dump it for something new???? Would you pay for it?

There was no more Fillet Mignon in Le-Bistro on the NCL Dream as of 10/15. We were very dissapointed when they changed the menues 5 minutes before opening Le-Bistro the second day on our Dream cruise. We had reservations for 5:30 and right before then they came out and posted a new menu. If you like seafood you will still enjoy the resteraunt but if not, save your money. Even the chicken had an oyster sauce on top of it. This change in itself won't keep me from cruising on NCL again but it did take away one of the things that I really look forward to.

Keith

:) What time of day is the Chocolate Buffet and where is it held?

On our last two cruises on the Star in September, both Chocoholic Buffets were held in the main dining room at midnight. Thinking back, they've all been at midnight, except Hawaii and that was 2pm on Kona day.

But I would like to point out that the choc fondue in Bistro and the choc dipped fruit at the buffet are different.

The Bistro chocolate is a liquid Hershey's type that stays drippy, while the buffet is a proper dipping chocolate that hardens nicely, creating a correct covered fruit.

Not to be picky.....well maybe I am being picky :p;)

There was no more Fillet Mignon in Le-Bistro on the NCL Dream as of 10/15. We were very dissapointed when they changed the menues 5 minutes before opening Le-Bistro the second day on our Dream cruise. We had reservations for 5:30 and right before then they came out and posted a new menu. If you like seafood you will still enjoy the resteraunt but if not, save your money. Even the chicken had an oyster sauce on top of it. This change in itself won't keep me from cruising on NCL again but it did take away one of the things that I really look forward to.

Keith

What :eek: Who gives a rat's backside about fondue. I can't believe no Filet in the Bistro. The signature dish. Find this imposible to believe. Besides no way I am going to a specialty restaurant for chicken with or without oyster sauce.

What :eek: Who gives a rat's backside about fondue. I can't believe no Filet in the Bistro. The signature dish. Find this imposible to believe. Besides no way I am going to a specialty restaurant for chicken with or without oyster sauce.

Someone with similar appetites to my own!!! This is indeed distressing news!

I had Filet & Fondue on my last cruise!!!

-Monte

Someone with similar appetites to my own!!! This is indeed distressing news!

I had Filet & Fondue on my last cruise!!!

-Monte

One thing for sure. You never know what to believe on Cruise Critic :rolleyes:

If you went a couple of weeks ago the menu was different than it is now. The first night of the cruise they had fillet mignon on the menu at Le-Bistro. The second night of the cruise (10/15) and from there on the menu changed and it was no longer offered. It appears that they went to all new menus on the Dream starting on 10/15. I don't know about the surf and turf being offered as I wasn't looking for it. The chocolate fondu is still there though.

Keith

*I haven't read through the entire thread so I appologize if my info is redundant*

during my cruise on the star (mex riv. 10/21/06-10/29/06), they changed over from the old menu to the new menu ON THE DAY when we made an reservation. Honestly, I was a bit bummed about the sudden change but then again I was still overdosing on chocolate from the buffet the night before and If I wanted steak I would have dined @ cadneys.

Anyway, it was simply one of the best french meals I've had (and I live in the bay area, where the entire region is a kitchen). The head chef was awesome, he graduated from the CCA as well as Le Cordon Bleu.

The 2 of us had

Lobster/Scallop Martini

Escargots (one of the best I've had, perfect cheese, tender, meaty)

Goat cheese Tart (good cheese, great partry)

Onion Soup

Watercress Veloute

Mediterranean Fish soup (perfect, good size serving, fish not overdone)

duck Flambeed w/ grand marnier (best duck on the ship, why can't the other kitchens do it like this?)

Creme Brulee (no complaints, consistent with any other good establishment, fresh and a little eggy)

Apple Tart (again, they have a great pastry person)

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

This is indeed distressing news!

But that's OK. As you said:

Personally, I don't automatically assume that a change in the menu is "less for your money" or a chip away (especially with all the complaints in the past about the menus).

I enjoyed the fondue because it was delicious. I have trie to make it but have had little success in duplicating it. Probably because what made it even better was the staff who was always helpful and offered more chocolate/fruit/cake whatever.

What you make at home may even be better, but you're right with out the rest of the package it just isn't the same.

Looks like we'll be choosing the chateaubriand or the tenderloin (though why does it come with a short rib?) as another form of filet mignon.

But what oh what could substitute for that fondue? I wonder if it has to do with the "fire at sea" hazard that caused them to stop serving the fondue this year with a lit sterno to keep it warm? People started to complain here that their fondue was "not hot," so maybe NCL felt they couldn't serve it well so why serve it at all?:(

Looks like we'll be choosing the chateaubriand or the tenderloin (though why does it come with a short rib?) as another form of filet mignon.

But what oh what could substitute for that fondue? I wonder if it has to do with the "fire at sea" hazard that caused them to stop serving the fondue this year with a lit sterno to keep it warm? People started to complain here that their fondue was "not hot' date='" so maybe NCL felt they couldn't serve it well so why serve it at all?:([/quote']

I agree since thet stop using the sterno they were having problems serving it hot.

Looks like I'll be spending more nights at Cagney's. Looking closely at the menu the only way to get the chateaubriand or rack of lamb is on the tasting menu for two. ($10 uplift for a total of $25pp). Not a price issue but the fact that 2 have to want the same thing. :rolleyes:

The first time I encountered the chocoholic buffet was before freestyle when they still had the midnight buffets. When I found myself staying up and waiting in line to eat M&M's I decided it was time to have my head examined.:)

P.S. The M&M's were my favorite part though.

LOL !!! Although I should be working, I just can't wait to go and I absolutely love hearing about other people's experiences.

I'll sure miss the filet mignon in Le Bistro, it just always tasted better than Cagneys but maybe it was the ambiance. That was my fave dish on the ship. Glad I got to have it one last time two weeks ago on the Star before they changed the menu the next day. That was close! :eek:

Ok, lets end this! I say- down with the fondue (I never really liked you anyway!)- up with a wider selection of delicious cheese cakes!

Or maybe its just me :rolleyes:

And if you still want to complain flip over to the HAL board and see what their gripes are, in the food catagory today? I am just happy we can afford to cruise and have choices as to what line and when we take our vacation. Not one of these things or a combination of all the above will make or break our cruise experience. packaged macarroni and cheese served in Le Bistro, now that would not be the happiest of meals even if they added a can of tuna.....LOL

But that's OK. As you said:

It's an optional extra pay item! I'm not really distressing either way, as it's not included in the cruise fare. But I do find your obsession with it (an me) amusing, even if tiring. Either there's something you might want to tell us or maybe you should find yourself a hobby.

Thank you for you concern though, I'm sure I'll eat, and eat well, on my cruises. I might beforced to change to tenderloin & chateaubriand though instead of filet though. (chip chip) HOW TERRIBLE ;) chip, chip LOL

-Monte

Food on a cruise ship or any other place has never been a priority for me. Oh, I enjoy eating at a fine dining establishment but I can have just as satisfying meal eating beans, greens, and cornbread. Toss in a porkchop to empress the company. LOL. It's just not a make or break deal for me.

On a cruise ship, I could enjoy it much more if the person serving it had the same choice for dining that evening.

Just back from the Dream and I was very much looking forward to one upscale dinner with Filet Mignon and the Fondue for dessert. I knew the filet was gone before we left, but I didn't know about the fondue, and all I can say is that I looked at the menu (several times) and couldn't find anything I was willing to pay extra for. Very dissapointed.

:(

As for the rest of the cruise, I hope to post a review within a week. The Reader's Digest version? Pretty good cruise overall. :)

Archived