Live from the Crown - Nov. 4, 2006

willysgrandma

The weather has been great today you would get a quick shower but then the sun was out again. I have been on since NYC and once we got south of Fla. it has been wonderful, ocean temp in the 80's and always warm and sunny with quick showers occasionally. Hope you future cruisers have is just as good.

Carolyn,

I hope you have a great cruise! I am wondering (like a poster earlier) about the snorkeling tour you did in Barbados. Did you get to see the sea turtles? We have reserved the sea turtle/shipwreck snorkle tour in Barbados with Princess. Was that the one you did?

Linda

The tour we took in Barbados was a ship's excursion and it was the 4x4 adventure with lunch, catamaran and swimming with the turtles. The turtles came right up to people and it was amazing to watch them pop up their heads and take a breath.

Today we did a private tour with Herod and I can't say enough about him. He was incredibly nice, fun, and really knew his country. I would book him again anytime.

We're in one of the suites on Caribe, C749. The exhaust fan seems to blow out a fairly foul odor a lot and it makes it very noisy. You can also really feel the movement back there. This is the first time that we're not really using the balcony. If anyone remembers we practically lived on our balcony on March in our suite.

Back elevators are still out and now there is one midship that doesn't work. Just be prepared to walk the stairs!

Got to run to dinner at the Crown Grill.

Make sure you list the elevator problems on your comment card at the end of the cruise. :)

Princess will have to address the problem big time eventually and soon I hope. :rolleyes:

We had late seating dinner in the Bottichelli dining room and I will tell you that dining room is all the way aft too and during our rough seas you could really feel the movement and the vibration. But I didnt care whether we were rocking and rolling or not, I love the movement of the ship. :)

We are going to be in the C751 suite along the back on the 18th. I sure hope they get those elevators fixed fast for you.

Following the cruise on the cruise cam.

You said you did a private tour with Harold- was that someone in a van/cab?

We plan on one of the Pirates of the Caribbean tour.

Jan

We're doing a back to back later this year with your itinerary first and we're trying to decide which nights to eat in the specialty restaurants. Could you let us know what the main courses are for dinner each day? I'm sorry I didn't ask this sooner but busy is as busy does.

Carolyn: I just saw this thread.....I don't know how I missed it. :confused:

I was so sorry to read of your experience at muster drill and in the Explorer's Lounge. I do hope the emotions have settled down for you and I am wishing for a wonderful *rest of the cruise* for you and your family.

What's your favorite part of the ship so far? I loved hanging out in the International Cafe. She is a beautiful ship.

I will be reading this thread from now on! :)

We're doing a back to back later this year with your itinerary first and we're trying to decide which nights to eat in the specialty restaurants. Could you let us know what the main courses are for dinner each day? I'm sorry I didn't ask this sooner but busy is as busy does.

Us too ... we would love :D to know about the menus for the same reason. Have been trying to plan which nights to eat ''out''.

Thanks for posting this thread - you are great for taking the time to do this and we appreciate it very much. We are leaving early January and can't seem to get enough info about the Crown.

My brother is presently on the Star Princess and it is making us even more anxious to embark on this great ship.

Wishing you a great trip !

Brig :)

Sorry I haven't been back till now - there is so much to do on and off the ship, I just haven't had time to get back to the Internet Cafe.

The ship will be at the Pan Am pier. When we got on the ship,it was 3:30 and after going through hell for embarkation, there was no way we were getting off the ship again to tour San Juan. But there was plenty to do - we ate, walked around the ship, got our bearings, swam.

If by headphones are you referring to MUTS during the day? If so, you don't need headphones, you can hear the movies quite clearly. But it is pretty amazing that the sound from the MUTS pool doesn't go into other areas of the ship - all you can hear in Neptunes is the bass from the movies if there are loud sound effects.

The main courses are too varied to come up with a list. You cna always have a steak, chicken, etc. A lot of the main courses are fish, which I don't care for, so I've ordered steak instead.

There were two elevators out at the back of the ship when we embarked, but they are fixed now. They were damaged when the ship leaft New York in a really bad wind storm (there are also a few shattered glass panels on Deck 16 from the storm. They aren't broken through, just shattered like car glass when something hits it and are roped off).

We did excursions on the ship. On Barbados, we did the 4WD Safari and Monkey Encounter. If you have back or neck problems, don't do this one, but if you don't and are adventurous - go right ahead. We saw tons of monkeys that ran right around you, in between you, etc. There were also lots of turtles and when they fed the animals, seeing all the turtles coming in a line slowly down the path to the food was a riot.

They then took us on a tour of the island. We drove way up these mountains and then 4 wheel drove down this narrow path. It was the scariest thing I ever did. Everyone on our open back truck thought the driver was joking when she said we were going down the path, but she wasn't. I tried to videotape it and all you can see on the tape is the camera bouncing and people screaming. And I mean out of fear, not because it was fun. But we were all safe.

In St. Lucia, we did a full day Best of St. Lucia on Land and Sea. It was too long. We loved the catamaran cruise to the Pitons part and swimming, but the rest of it was kind of boring. We went to a plantation for lunch and then took a long (like an hour and a half) drive back to the ship. I think there was another excursion that was just the catamaran to the Pitons - I'd do that instead. The Pitons are gorgeous and the water was perfect. But you have to deal with the locals on rowboats that come up to the cat trying to sell you trinkets.

We are in Antigua today and everyone is so tired, we simply walked into town to shop and came back to the ship) it's the first day I went into any of the pools - we just haven't had time! The shops are right off the pier.

To answer a few more questions that were posted - on the first night, dining is whatever you chose. We never made it to the dining room because we were too stuffed from eating the Seafood Buffet.

My Dad golfed in Barbados at the Barbados golf club. He did not like the course - he said it was terribly maintained. The island is also made up of a lot of clay and he said the ball would bounce into wet clay and the ball was filthy.

Additionally, someone in his group took off their watch and left it in their golf cart and some kids walking home froms chool stole the watch when they walked by.

When we did were going back to the ship in Barbados after our tour, a local sitting in front of his house startes screaming "Stay away from our beaches". I guess they aren't too happy with visitors, but tourism is the way they make money there.

Thanks for the updates.

I have watched the web cam and seen you leave Barbados, St. Lucia, and Antigua. Looks like you are having some great weather.

I'm surprised at how early it gets dark out. Anyone know if that changes during the year? Living way up north, it stays light until 11 pm or so in the summer, and gets dark by 4 pm or so in the winter....but I know the closer to the equator you get, the less this is the case. Or am I wrong? Ah, it doens't matter.:o

Thanks for the updates.

I have watched the web cam and seen you leave Barbados, St. Lucia, and Antigua. Looks like you are having some great weather.

I'm surprised at how early it gets dark out. Anyone know if that changes during the year? Living way up north, it stays light until 11 pm or so in the summer, and gets dark by 4 pm or so in the winter....but I know the closer to the equator you get, the less this is the case. Or am I wrong? Ah, it doens't matter.:o

The ship usually leaves port here at around 6 - 6:30 PM and it is just about dark. We have been fascinated watching the pilot boats tranfering the pilots on and off the ship. If you go to deck 7 when the ship is leaving (midship) you can actually see the pilot swinging into the pilot boat.

The weather has been in the high 80's for all of the trip. The only island we hit any rain was St. Lucia, and all it is is brief rain showers that last a few minutes and are gone.

Just a quick update this morning. I ended up spending the night here at Hopkins, had brought my pillow and blanket and camped out in the ICU waiting area as I was not allowed to be back in ICU after about 8:00 pm last evening. I was just too too tired to attempt to drive home last evening and did get a few hours of sleep. I called during the night and was told by the nurse that Avis was resting comfortable. I've called again this morning and he is stable and they will not allow me back until visiting hours at noon and maybe by then he will be moving to a surgical room. He looked good last night and was passing all the neurologic tests with flying colors,,,,hey he remembered my name...lol and how long we had been married...lol so that was good. Our daughter ERin was with me during the surgical wait yesterday and this morning I am waiting on my daughter-in-law to arrive.

Found the internet here in the library and there is no wireless internet here in hospital so will have to use this off and on until 4:30 when the library closes. Thanks for all your prayers, phone calls and thoughts and concerns. We are so pleased and blessed to have been referred to our wonderful neurosurgeon.

I hope all of you are having a wonderful rest of your cruise and enjoying the islands. Hope to meet up with you all again on another cruise. Oh BTW.....how is the booze cruise ????lol BIG HUG TO ALL OF YOU.....Patricia

Hi all, I'm a friend of Patricia and Avis and Nomie too. Came by with an Avis report.

I just spoke with patricia and she sounded much more rested. She said she grabbed a little nap this afternoon. Avis is doing well even with his headache. The PT's had him up and walking today. They are now waiting for a room on the surgical floor. Getting kicked out of ICU is always a good sign.

Nomie, lucky you, you are coming home to warmer weather. At least you won't face a real drastic change

Safe seas Barb

Patricia, thanks for the update on Avis. I've seen partyboy and Linda, and we are all thinking of you both.

Formal nights were night two and last night.

Loved St. Maartin. If you don't do an excursion, you can take the water taxi to the pier for $5.00 (unlimited trips) and there is a beach right in town you can go to. One of the bars has a special if you buy two non-frozen drinks, they'll give you two free beach chairs and an umbrella. When you get off the water taxi, go to the left and it was the first bar along the beach.

We are in St. Thomas today and took a cab into town to shop - we have an excursion to St. John's this afternoon.

We are really enjoying the ship and the itineraries. We were pleased with every island but Barbados.

Patricia, thanks for the update on Avis. I've seen partyboy and Linda, and we are all thinking of you both.

Formal nights were night two and last night.

Loved St. Maartin. If you don't do an excursion, you can take the water taxi to the pier for $5.00 (unlimited trips) and there is a beach right in town you can go to. One of the bars has a special if you buy two non-frozen drinks, they'll give you two free beach chairs and an umbrella. When you get off the water taxi, go to the left and it was the first bar along the beach.

We are in St. Thomas today and took a cab into town to shop - we have an excursion to St. John's this afternoon.

Thanks for all your information on the excusions... I heard that there is a ferry to Antigulla (sp) where you can go to Shoals Bay..and that it is absolutely beautiful.. Did you hear about that or go when you were in St. Martin? Has anyone gone? Is it worth it? Again, thanks for the updates. Have a great "rest of the cruise"

Archived