All Inclusive HAL

patval

All Inclusive HAL  

134 members have voted

1. 1. All Inclusive HAL

• Yes
    • No

I want to presetnn the question of all inclusive for all Hooland American ships.

I have been seeing threads discussing cut-backs in amenties and special touches so I thought about what about go all in everything included one price out the door. I believe this could work because HAL would put a huge sock to the cruise market and espically the Luxury Cruise sector.

If you go to the Silver Sea forum you will see they are introducing next year to select sailings as a test any time dining and dress as you like. HAL has ships of all sizes and most ships are larger then any ship in the Luxury sector so this would keep prices down because scarcity would not be issue if anything this would drive down prices because of HAL coming into this sector.

HAL ships already are in the luxury catergory all they need to do is change the menu some but only in the dining room and Lido Buffet. I believe Pinnacle is perfect if anything they can make the Lido outside area a Terrace Tapa Restaurant included in the cruise fare.

Here is an idea on fare I am thinking HAL could make bank on. 7 to 10 day Carribean sailing Insides from 1000 USD, Outside 1200, Balcony starting at 1500 and suites starting at 2000 USD per person grauity, fare, port cahrges, taxes, and liquier (WANG WANG) included.

I feel that HAL does not have to raise prices much because of the capacity the ships have scarcity would not be an issue and the volume of passengers would handle the cost difference.

Paul

HAL ships already are in the luxury catergory

Hi Paul-

Whose "category"?

I'm looking forward to a lovely HAL cruise in about a month, but honestly....the prices we paid reflected a "run of the mill" line. :)

(Heck.... I HOPE it IS a "luxurious" experience!)

I voted NO - I don't want to pay for other people's liquor consumption. I prefer paying by the drink. I rarely drink alcohol and I feel, if HAL was all-inclusive, there would be many more drunken people aboard the ships....

I vote NO as well. Check out all-inclusive lines like Seabourn and Silversea. Now look at how much they're charging. HAL would have to charge in and around that in order to make a profit. HAL has bigger ships, true, but along with that comes increased costs for food, beverage, operations etc etc.

I don't see what the problem of paying per drink is, but admittedly, I am not a heavy drinker. I have maybe one sailaway drink and a specialty coffee a day. I doubt I'd even break $10 a day in drinks.

I voted NO - I don't want to pay for other people's liquor consumption. I prefer paying by the drink. I rarely drink alcohol and I feel, if HAL was all-inclusive, there would be many more drunken people aboard the ships....

Windy....

But the people that buy liquor on board contribute to revenue which in turn means lower cruise fares.

You will get drunken people no matter where or how alcohol is served... how it is paid for makes little difference. We do notice though that many people who never go anywhere near a bar on board, never mind order a drink, are the first in line at captain's reception and mariner's party to have a drink when they are free!

Stephen

I want to apologize first if some people are offend by the question or me posting a poll. I seem to have ruffled some feathers! LOL

HAl is a luxury brand meaning that they offer a product that is higher then the norm (NCL, Carnival, and Princess). If you go to cruise reviews sites you will see that HAL sits right next to Celebrity they are honestly thought of a Luxury Line.

Drunk people I have to disagree because there are so many cruiselines so the choices and what each line is known for is already set. Fir instance Carnival is the cheap Fun Cruiseline you can pay 299 or 399 for a 7 day Carribbean sailing most times of the year, NCL is the freestyle line has over 8 to 10 restaurants on each ship, Princess has MUTS and is said to be a step higher then NCL and Carnival in food, and HAL which we all known what they bring to the table and that is exellence and luxury at an affordable price.

HAL is referred to the old folks ships that is all I hear from people but it is not true people of all ages come on HAL but drunks yeah some but not many what Drunk wants to be on a ship where classical, jazz, and top 40 is streamed into speakers no band or pool party yeah they would love that!

Prices would be reasonable because of the size and the BUYING POWER of the Carnival name HAL ships are not 30,000 tons I think the P-Dam is the closest at 50,000 tons. Please remeber size equlas scarcity scarcity brings higher prices because of limited supply and allot of demand.

My reason for this poll and question is because people have said drinks are limited now on Captain Night and no more fresh squeezed OJ, and some other cost cutting things that HAL veterans know too well and that can come back for a PRICE onfournately!

Paul

Patval, I'm going to assume that by "all inclusive" you mean that exactly and so I'll vote "no".

I understand people's remarks about the revenue gained by the drinkers, thereby perhaps bringing the base price down for everyone. But I'd like to keep it that way:D . We don't drink at all and never will so for us there's just no point in having that built in.

But what I wouldn't mind seeing at all is the price of the cruise being a bit higher and the prices for all drinks (Cokes, etc., included), photos, shore excursions, etc., coming down a bit. That's how it was years ago and we enjoyed that.

The way it is now your shipboard account can be as high as the original price for the cruise!:)

Heather the price and the idea I had included all soft drinks, premium coffees, and liquer. Also in the staterooms you would have the choice of two hard bottles or 4 bottles of house wine and a champagne welcome in your stateroom and when you board by team of waiters waiting in the atrium.

Also excursions would be included but only like island or city tours nothing like a sailing trip or scuba diving. I believe one or some of the premium lines offer excursions included.

Oh yeah house wine at dinner included and a house brandy afterwards or scotch!

Paul

I voted NO. DW and I drink very little, and all-inclusive would mean I'm being charged for someone else's drinking.

It ticked me off at a luau last year where others at our table had four or five drinks each that essentially came out of my pocket.

Same with excursions. If I choose not to go, why should I subsidize somebody else?

HAl is a luxury brand meaning that they offer a product that is higher then the norm...

I believe this is where there is some room for disagreement.

In a later post what you describe is, indeed, "luxury" cruising, but HAL (to my knowledge) has never been considered luxury. They have been considered "premium", however. A lower level, but still higher than "mass-market".

It is here that I believe HAL is having some sort of identity crisis. It appears as if they are struggling with the decision of what they want to be when they grow up---premium or mass-market. Right now it's as if they are trying to be both---and that will not do. They can't keep that up without alienating those of us who prefer "premium" AND those who prefer "mass-market".

I, for one, do not wish to see them go "luxury", and so vote "no".

I am sorry Ruth that our feeling of what HAL is not in the same ball park and also if anyone else is offend by my opinion of HAL being a premium line sorry again I meant no harm.

I feel like this thread is turning into a problem so if the Moderator wants to close this thread they can.

I am an Economist and thinking about the HAL brand and what stands behind it I thought of maximizing my consumptions so I thought that if I could sail on HAL with all the traditions and atmosphere that known to HAL veterans at a price that includes all cost I would jump on it.

I also see people are focusing too much on liquer what about excursions and grauity being included. Excursions today run on an average today in the Carribbean sailings 50 per person so four ports you have 200 added on to the sailing so if you pay 300 premium ontop of the fare today for grauity, liquer, and excursions included I believe that is a bargin.

Paul

Other than the high end cruise lines, the industry isn't quite ready for AI cruises; wish they were because the concept works very well for land based vacations including low, mid-range and high end resorts. The cruising demographics and economical impact means there is no way this would happen for HAL or any other mid range or mass market line. JMHO :)

For those worried about potential "drunkedness" I have seen far more drunks on cruise ships than I've seen at higher end AI's FWIW.

I am sorry Ruth that our feeling of what HAL is not in the same ball park and also if anyone else is offend by my opinion of HAL being a premium line sorry again I meant no harm.

I feel like this thread is turning into a problem so if the Moderator wants to close this thread they can.

I am an Economist and thinking about the HAL brand and what stands behind it I thought of maximizing my consumptions so I thought that if I could sail on HAL with all the traditions and atmosphere that known to HAL veterans at a price that includes all cost I would jump on it.

I also see people are focusing too much on liquer what about excursions and grauity being included. Excursions today run on an average today in the Carribbean sailings 50 per person so four ports you have 200 added on to the sailing so if you pay 300 premium ontop of the fare today for grauity, liquer, and excursions included I believe that is a bargin.

Paul

Your comment on this thread causing a problem and wanting the Moderator to pull it seems strange to me. Why? I just saw people expressing their honest opinions. No name calling or nastiness to individuals. No reason to pull this thread.

I disagree that $300 per person per cruise would cover all the extras you are talking about espicially since $200 would be alloted to shore excursions. That would be $100 extra going for Pinnacle dining experience, tips (which is an additional $70 for seven days currently and doesn't include beverage and Pinnacle Grill tips), that would leave only $30 per passenger for drinks, be it sodas, alcohol, and/or specialty coffee. That is just plain unrealistic. I would expect to see the cost grow by $700 to $1,000 per passenger.

As drinker's of both alcohol and sodas, I vote no.

Count me in the group that consider HAL a premium line and not a luxury line. It's a nice line that allows many people a different cruise experience then both the mass market and luxury lines.

I voted no and it honestly isn't just because of the included drinks issue. True, I don't drink all that much ... maybe $10 to $15 a day between Cokes, premium coffees and a bar drink. All inclusive does not just mean free drinks. All inclusive means raising standards all over the ship ... from the ammenities provided in the cabins, to the shipboard services available. When people sail an all-inclusive line, they expect this heightened level of service and ammenities, and if HAL wanted to go that route, they would have to make those improvements. Those improvements would thus cost the average cruiser a lot more money ... and in some cases would knock them out of the game.

I think HAL is a great product just the way they are. People who want that "luxury" experience that they can get on lines like Regeant or Silversea can opt to book a full suite in order to get it. Then those, like me, who honestly can't afford those fares simply books a lower category stateroom without the added ammenities. It works well for both of us.

Now, what I can see HAL doing ... and I wouldn't have any problem with it ... would be to increase the ammenities (and the cost) for the high end suites by offering a "luxury" package that is only available to them. This package would include things like all-inclusive drinks, and an enhanced ammenities package. Maybe that package would only be offered to people staying in suites, or perhaps it can be offered to anyone booking with HAL. Those opting to pay the added freight would get a different color key card that would easily identify them as entitled to free pours and to other freebies like perhaps use of a special dining room where the food quality and options would be better than the general dining room. There would also be other ammenities available without added charge around the ship, like perhaps no extra cost gym and other classes that regular passengers would pay an added fare for. There may also be some special activities that are only availalbe to premium guests ... like free small group computer classes, etc.

I think HAL can be something for everyone ... just as Cunard supposedly is. From what I've been told, Cunard is a mass market cruise line ... no different in structure than say Royal Caribbean. But ... if you stay in the upper end accommodations ... I think they call it "Grill class," you enjoy a far different experience than those staying in steerage ... from your dining arrangements to the use of special lounges, etc.

I think HAL can offer a truly luxury cruise experience to those that really want it without forcing everyone else to pay the much higher fares associated with such an experience ... fares which could mean those others would be forced to abandon HAL and switch over to a more "mass market" ... "city on the ocean" ... type of cruise liner.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I voted NO because I don't mind paying for what I want. We like having access to the Neptune Lounge, so we pay for it. We like a cocktail before dinner and/or wine with dinner and don't mind paying for it.

We almost never have a soft drink so we almost never pay for one.

If I want an all inclusive, I would look into sailing Silversea or Seabourn. We have not looked at either as that is not what we want.

We love HAL and hope we see things stay 'close' to how they now are.

I think perhaps OP is a little surprised by the response. I think OP expected a majority to vote Yes but that doesn't seem to be the case.

That's okay. That's the purpose of the poll, isn't it? To see everyone's opinion.

I did not say Pinnacle would be included in the price just like Seabourn, Oceania, and Silver Sea they charge for speciality restaurants.

I only said pull the thread because it seems that I opened a subject that has brought some disagreements and I do not want trouble so that is why trying to be peaceful and yyes everyone has been great no issues.

Wow I can not believe too many do not believe the HAL brand is luxury brand yes Premium but there are things that HAL does better then Celebrity who has always said they are premium.

Paul

... so if you pay 300 premium ontop of the fare today for grauity, liquer, and excursions included I believe that is a bargin.

Definitely not for handicapped people who can't go on excursions. Why should they help pay for your pleasure? :confused:

My vote- No- was based on [partially] tours being included. My thought, frankly, is "You've seen one church -you've seen them all" but much of the port lectures centers on which churches and where they are -I would almost 100%, be bored to tears with that kind of tour. That there are always MANY choices of tours in our European and Asian itineraries -is PERFECT.

I also NEVER use the Spa; if that were an inclusive -that would simply add on more $$$$ to things I would never use!

I am simply re-inforcing what has already been written. Viva Le CHOICE

I only said pull the thread because it seems that I opened a subject that has brought some disagreements and I do not want trouble so that is why trying to be peaceful and yyes everyone has been great no issues.

No, Paul ... I don't think the thread should be pulled. It's an interesting poll and something that generates good discussion. Isn't that the purpose of Cruise Critic ... to engage in interesting, thought-provoking discussions?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I believe with the handicap issue this is fixable because we have so much technology in today's world why can we not make tours accessible to the handicap. I can not be told that a cruise giant like Carnival says to port we want tours to be handicap accessible or we will go somewhere else. I do not see the port saying well sorry for you we will not change the system.

With upgrading the ships really not more needs to be added to HAL because:

1. Linen and Beds are already at a luxury setting they are actualy better then what the premium lines use except for Oceania they use the Carnival beds.

2. Add a Terrace Restaurant to Lido area no dry dock or anything needed just change of scenary and a waitstaff.

3. Staff issues in all honetly they would need to add if anything maybe a handfull of staff because they can teach the current staff how to step it up a notch and the waitstaff can just take care one or two less tables to provide more personal service and a couple more Sommelier for the wine end.

There is more but I can not think if them all so sorry!

Here is my other question would people be against if HAL covered everything but liquer? It sounds like more people would vote yes if this was excluded.

Paul

:confused: Paul, you offered a poll with a yes or no answer so of course you're going to get varying opinions. But no one is being disagreeable. I know you're on this board quite a bit so you can't have missed the truly disagreeable threads:eek: !!! Please don't be offended simply because some disagree with your opinion. It's such a personal thing.

I still would vote no even though you've now qualified "all inclusive". I don't want any of that included because there are times we've been to an island many times and don't even want to get off the ship, let alone go on a tour! I'm happy to pay for my Cokes when I want them, I don't care a wit about "specialty" coffees and the welcome champagne, etc., etc., will sit in the cabin unopened for the entire cruise.

So I'd rather pay for what we want and leave it at that.

As far as whether HAL being "luxury" or "premium" or "mass market", I think if HAL were still on its own they would undoubtedly like to stay "premium". But when you're tied tighter and tighter to Carnival, it's a little hard to see that happening.

Sorry to say, but unfortunately my sad prognosis is it's going the way of the mass market lines and we'll be moving on to other pastures.

I think it is a situation of how much people are willing to pay.

HAL could raise the prices to include the things we see that we might like be done differently but not everyone is willing to pay the higher fare.

I think the business philosophy of cruising today has to be.......Fill the ships and try to get us to spend as much as we can squeeze out of them while aboard. I wish they could charge a little more and be able to fill the ship.

I'm sorry to see some things disappear because people are shopping by price first. They will look at what is included second or third or fourth, but the bottom line is "how much?"

We are like Heather. We rarely take tours. We often remain on the ship in port and some Caribbean cruises, we may not leave for more than an hour or two in most ports.

I don't care about having a soda/pop/soft drink included. For the one or two I may drink on a given cruise, I'll buy it.

I don't drink lemonade. Loaded with sugar. But that doesn't mean I don't want it offered for those who wish to drink it. They can even have my glass, if they wish.

I'm sorry they no longer have the Java Cafe but I so love the Explorations Cafe that is makes up for it. If I want something other than a plain coffee, it's okay....I'll buy it or do without it. We always have at least a few on every cruise. Some are delicious.

It's okay with me to pay as I go for many facets of our cruises.

If people were willing to pay higher fares, they could include more for us.

PatVal:

It does depend on the inclusive items.. since I drink more Dr Pepper, Root Beer, Birch Beer, American Sassafras and Lemonaide than liquor, wine, beer or spirits..I do think they should have maybe two types then.

Non-Alcohol and Alcohol.. fares set.

:cool:

Then instead of cutting the Cheese Cake with Flour ..they would use real Cream Chees and a TSP of flr... etc... better quality with a price is nice and on HAL..the best Line going too...

:cool:

I want to presetnn the question of all inclusive for all Hooland American ships.

I have been seeing threads discussing cut-backs in amenties and special touches so I thought about what about go all in everything included one price out the door. I believe this could work because HAL would put a huge sock to the cruise market and espically the Luxury Cruise sector.

If you go to the Silver Sea forum you will see they are introducing next year to select sailings as a test any time dining and dress as you like. HAL has ships of all sizes and most ships are larger then any ship in the Luxury sector so this would keep prices down because scarcity would not be issue if anything this would drive down prices because of HAL coming into this sector.

HAL ships already are in the luxury catergory all they need to do is change the menu some but only in the dining room and Lido Buffet. I believe Pinnacle is perfect if anything they can make the Lido outside area a Terrace Tapa Restaurant included in the cruise fare.

Here is an idea on fare I am thinking HAL could make bank on. 7 to 10 day Carribean sailing Insides from 1000 USD, Outside 1200, Balcony starting at 1500 and suites starting at 2000 USD per person grauity, fare, port cahrges, taxes, and liquier (WANG WANG) included.

I feel that HAL does not have to raise prices much because of the capacity the ships have scarcity would not be an issue and the volume of passengers would handle the cost difference.

Paul

Archived