How do I find out if a group is on my ship?

murphyis1

• 2 weeks later...

Julst want to make a comment about groups. Last March we sailed the Carnival Liberty to the caribbean. Sometime after we booked I learned there was going to be 100's of Parrotheads onboard as it was a Parrothead sailing. Even though I am a huge Jimmy Buffet fan, it caused me to have some reservations. And there was actually a LOT of talk about drinking, etc., on the rollcall by a few of the people in that group. However, the group was anything but a problem on board. There is more TALK about drinking than ACTUAL drinking! Most people enjoyed seeing their cabin doors decorated in various song themes and observing them going around the ship sometimes in whimsical tropical attire. We met several people in the group - which was very friendly. Unlike what we expected, the drinking seemed to be held fairly in check. Plus we learned they were raising money for breast cancer by doing this group cruise. So - if you learn there is a Parrothead group on your ship, don't worry if it's the big one they hold each year on a different ship.

• 5 years later...

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I assume you are looking for the Roll Call for your cruise. That is where you can meet others sailing with you. To join, Click Boards at the top of this page, Scroll down to Roll Calls, click on your cruise line, Click on your ship. Find the thread for your sailing.

The problem seems to be that some large groups use up too many facilities, like the car hop era one, or what ever that discussion was on, had a theme entertainment each night, so non group members had less venues.

Every cruise will have groups of one sort or another. 99% of the time, you will never know IF there is a group, or who is part of that group. It's only in very rare instances that a large group is a problem. So, don't worry about it....your good time vacation will remain intact!

Unless the group starts to get in the range of 24% of the total number of guests, it isn't usually a major problem. There might be a few inconveniences but on the whole, not bad.

When the group gets too big, it often takes over an entire dinner seating and those not part of the group have to dine at the times the group didn't want. They can sometimes take over a pool for some number of hours to have a private function. They get priority on the ship as they provide a great deal off revenue. Cruise ships love groups but they know they are inconviencing other guests and, therefore, do not publicize when there is a large group on a given sailing. Even if asked, the information is not freely forthcoming.

i am going on Monarch of the Seas October 26th. How do I find my passenger list or who is going.

jillpo:o

You're lucky because the cruise before your's is a "Guns and Hoses" group cruise with a few hundred on board. I didn't find any groups for your cruise, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

On a ship the size of Monarch, a group of 200 really won't be that big a nuisance to those not part of the group. I think she carries around 2,600+ guests and a group of 200 will hardly be noticed.

There are often groups on board that no one even knows are there.

i am going on Monarch of the Seas October 26th. How do I find my passenger list or who is going.

jillpo:o

Although you can sometimes find out if groups, especially large ones, are going to be on your cruise by doing a web search using your ship and date as others have suggested, you will not find a passenger list anywhere. The cruise line will not release it to anyone except government authorities because it is basically privileged and private information that other passengers have no right to know. I'd be furious if a cruise line released my name to other passengers.

You can find out who some of the CC member passengers will be by going to the Roll Call section and checking. If there is no roll call for your cruise, you can start one and see where it goes. You could use social media, etc. and ask online, but I think there are two real problems with that. One is that you are advertising that you will be gone and where you will be to strangers. Two is that you have no idea if the people who respond are actually booked on your cruise.

beachchick

Some travel agencies set up groups in order to give ticket discounts. My agency did this, and they have a "group" of eight people going on our upcoming cruise. None of us know the others, and we aren't an organized group.

The older lady who lives across the street from me took her first NCL cruise five years ago. Turns out there was a very large group of Harley Davidson dealers and sales people on board. She reported that many of the venues were reserved for group activities, the individuals themselves were a bit "rough" looking and acting, and they liked to party hard, virtually taking over the bars and lounges each night to get drunk. She was so disappointed that she says she will never cruise again. A shame to have a vacation spoiled by a large, disruptive group.

Archived