Fly Friday or Saturday?

msbunny

Finally! Southwest has listed flight info through mid May. We leave March 17 on the Enchantment. I'm curious to hear both sides- Fly from Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday or Saturday? There are 5 of us friends. Three are flying Friday, 2 of us prefer to fly Sat. for personal reasons (we don't want our husbands to be mad at us for being gone yet another day!)

I've never had trouble flying southwest. Do you think it's safe to take the 9:00 am non-stop which gets in about 11:30? I would think snow delays is not an issue at that time.

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

I've done it both ways, flying in day of and day before. Yes, it is less stressful the day before, but that isn't always possible. Flying in day of cruise, we've never had a problem. We were delayed once, but we made the ship by 3:30...sailing at 5. It was a bit nerve racking though! If you are flying in day of, I'd suggest the earliest flight possible and a direct is a better choice.

make it up to him before you leave...never leave the day of..go down the day before...you will be kicking yourself if god forbid there's a snow storm or mechanical issues with the aircraft...we are in the same issue that you have but my wife is coming with...we don't sail until sunday the 18th on the AOS out of san juan...i'm out of minneapolis at 7am on the 17th and we don;t sail until 10pm on the 18th...i'm not taking any chances...on the 13 crusies since november of 1991 the last 12 we have always done a PRE-NITE...he'll understand...and if he doesn't he still get over it...

OK- I sure don't need stress before going on a vacation with the "girls" I have been friends with for over 35 years! I'll fly Friday with the other 3 and try to talk the 5th one into doing the same. It will give the family an extra day to appreciate me while I'm away.;)

We are just home from a "girls" cruise. 8 of us flew in the day before and 2 flew in the day of the cruise. We didn't have any problems, but one of the flights coming down was delayed a hour and two of our flights going home were also delayed about an hour. If I was delayed even an hour on departure day, I'd probably have a heart attack in the air! :) Do what you need to do, but don't always assume snow would be your only reason for a delay.

There are other possible reasons for a weather delay other than ice and snow. Last time we cruised in March a huge thunderstorm with high winds came through the area and our flight was delayed by 4 hours. Luckily we had planned to fly in the day before, so although we missed spending time in Miami the day before, we still got to the ship on time. Unless there are reasons beyond your control I'd recommend flying in the day before.

I'd fly in the day before. Just personal preference as i am a worrywart!

That is what we are doing next month from BWI to MIA nonstop the day before, plenty of time, hopefully I will be relaxed by doing this.

I just couldn't risk flying on the day of the cruise, not after all this excitement and anticipation!

Have a fab cruise, whatever you decide :D

The odds are that you will be fine flying in on Saturday, however things do happen and it is possible that you miss the ship. You have to decide if the risk is worth the benefit of staying home an extra night.

Finally! Southwest has listed flight info through mid May. We leave March 17 on the Enchantment. I'm curious to hear both sides- Fly from Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday or Saturday? There are 5 of us friends. Three are flying Friday, 2 of us prefer to fly Sat. for personal reasons (we don't want our husbands to be mad at us for being gone yet another day!)

I've never had trouble flying southwest. Do you think it's safe to take the 9:00 am non-stop which gets in about 11:30? I would think snow delays is not an issue at that time.

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

FYI- Incase you didn't notice for that sailing date I think there was a price drop,

it was one cruses we were considering and the original price for deck 3 oceanview cabin was around 719/ person, if you go and check the rci website now all the prices have come down deck 4 oceanview is now 529/person.

Day before--always!!! The luggage issue is the main reason, IMO--if they do lose it, at least you have a day to get it returned!! I'd HATE to be on a cruise with no luggage! It's not like theres alot to choose from, clothing-wise on the ship!

Plus, if your flight doesn't arrive until 11:30, you won't get to the ship until around 1pm--you've paid for this 1st day--get there early and start enjoying!

I did notice the price decrease several days ago and called my TA right away and have our new confirmation for less money, but thanks for mentioning it. It wasn't until I joined this board that I even knew you could do that. And I will keep checking!

OK- The flights are booked- We are all going Friday. Thanks for all your input. I never even thought about the possibility of lost luggage. I guess because it never happened to me before. 4 months to go....

Archived