Weather & High Seas Question/Radiance of the Seas

lydco

The seasoned cruisers did a bang up job answering my "smoking policy" question earlier. Now for another question. What can I expect in terms of weather and high seas in early January on the western caribbean run (montego bay, grand cayman, costa maya)? When we did a short Bahamas cruise one particular March and a summer Mediterranean cruise aboard vessels which were any where from 88,000 tons to 112,000, we didn't even know we were on a ship. That's how smooth most of the journey went. Again, I was told it was partly weather, partly that both ships had "stabilizers". Does Radiance of the Seas have these? Thank you for any of your imput.;)

Radiance does have stabilizers...and on our Western Caribbean cruise in October we definitely were using them for about two days. We had a pretty nasty front pass us in Cozumel and then we caught back up to it on our way to Grand Cayman. It wasn't so bad...but I'm not one to get seasick...

Anyway...enjoy her...the ship is beautiful and her crew are the best.

If the seas are rough enough, stabilizers will help, but not prevent you from feeling the motion of the ocean!

Our very 1st cruise was so rough, it's quite surprising that we did it again!!! (so rough, that going up and down the stairs took real athletic ability!)

But we did try it again, and since then, have had only smooth seas!! (Which I truly prefer!)

Go to Medeosail.com --you can specify which areas you'll be sailing in, and it will give you the wave-height chart forecast! Great site!

On our last cruise 10/28/2006 Eastern on the Radiance we listed quite a bit coming into Nassau. It was during the day. I thought it was cool, but some people didnt. Bingo number board went flying along with glasses in the bar. Rough seas that day, but the rest was smooth sailing. I like the waves, especially during the daylight hours. Great fun! You will love the Radiance.

Ships always use the stabalizers.

Not necessarily. When the stabilizers are extended, the ships cruise at a slower speed. Many folks can tell stories of stabilizers not being used so the ship could meet it's arrival times.

Just got off Splendour of the Seas this morning from a cruise to Cozumel and Costa Maya. Our last day at sea, yesterday, we had force 9 winds and seas over 20 feet. Needless to say it was very rough, and anyone who has problems with seasickness had a rather bad time of it. But this is in the central and northern Gulf going up to Galveston and you will be going back east. If your prone to motion sickness you might want to check with your doctor before leaving and see what she/he recommends.

If the seas are rough enough, stabilizers will help, but not prevent you from feeling the motion of the ocean!

Our very 1st cruise was so rough, it's quite surprising that we did it again!!! (so rough, that going up and down the stairs took real athletic ability!)

But we did try it again, and since then, have had only smooth seas!! (Which I truly prefer!)

Go to Medeosail.com --you can specify which areas you'll be sailing in, and it will give you the wave-height chart forecast! Great site!

Its Meteosail.com not Medosail

Archived