Names outside your stateroom door?

negc

Gosh!

I thought these CC threads were for OPINIONS. The OP stated an opinion (or was it a question, that was a long while ago, sorry) and I feel it's a valid concern for some people. Let people speak their piece, folks!

I know I was shocked when we went on our first Princess cruise to see our names outside the door. At first I thought it was nice. Then I wondered how I'd feel if it was the cabin of our two daughters. Sorry people who think we're all "paranoid" but we must be in charge of our own safety.

By the way, I decorate the door; THAT'S how I find it. And, neighbors always thank us because that's how THEY find THEIR cabins.;)

As stated, you can always remove the little card; it's a great souvenir.

Anyhow, we should all welcome OPINIONS.:p They cause us to think.....and to then think about why we feel as we do.

The name tags are a nice touch. They are especially handy if you are invited to another cabin and maybe aren't precisely sure of the cabin number, but you know you are in the right place by spotting the name on the correct door. And they are really, really handy when a nice old lady is lost and unsure which cabin is hers, but by asking her name you can lead her to her door...so there IS a positive side to having them posted.

NCL doesn't do this. It seems NCL passengers are able to remember their own room numbers. :rolleyes:

Myself I'm mildly paranoid about distinguishing information, since I have previously been a victim of identity theft...which, while it didn't cost me money, DID consume over 6 months of time to extricate myself.

This is the first time I'd heard of the idea of putting a name on a cabin door, but I'll remove mine the moment I arrive.

I noticed you never have sailed with Princess . The name tag is not an idea it is a fact and it is not right on the cabin door but rather on the wall beside it . I along with others here have no problem with it being posted . However I would respect anyone who chose to remove it . Life is about choices . :D

BTW IMHO NCL is no Princess . Glad to see you are giving them a try .

Oh for heavens sake, if you don't like the name tag, remove it. If you are

so concerned about your safety and/or your privacy being violated, than

stay home. The instances of room invasions and violations of privacy are

extreamly low on a cruise ship. Lighten up and enjoy the vacation and don't worry about the "what ifs"

If someone wants to stalk me, please make sure he's rich and good looking!

I too was at first surprised when I saw our names outside our cabin, but it didn't bother me. I think it is a nice touch. When I figured out the color system of the cards, it was fun to just look at how many cruises each person had taken (or rather their status).

I agree, if it makes you feel uncomfortable, remove it.

Kay

I was just about to mention the color coding, then Kay just did. That's what I like to see also.

I've never removed our nametag from outside our cabin, but I do take labels off the magazines I take with me just in case I finish one and leave it on the plane or in the airport. I figure more nefarious characters are lurking about those locations than on cruise ships. Also my luggage tag has my work address and phone number, just in case.

The names posted on the door could be especially troubling, for say, a well-known executive who just happens to be vacationing with perhaps a younger female "secretary"... sounds like blackmail! I think on my next cruise I'm gonna take a notebook and write down all the names of male/female cabin sharers who don't have the same last name (self included, even though we're married) and then threaten google them from the ship and contact their spouses if they don't pay up!

Seriously, I was also shocked the first time I saw our names posted outside the door- I didn't remove it but I must admit it did make me a little bit paranoid (especially as someone who has been the victim of both identity theft AND home burglary! Not related, though.)

Maybe a nice compromise would be to print a title, first name, and last initial? I think this would satisfy all the concerns about NOT posting them, while still protecting most people's sense of privacy. Still might not help those with ultra-unique first names, but might be okay for John, Ken, Susan, Diane, etc.

Mrs. Sydney :rolleyes:

Okay...so your name is on the door.

A talented con artist 'happens' to be walking by, and makes a quick remark about what you're wearing, and where did you get it? You say oh geez, I don't remember...I think it was some little store back home.

Next day (after a phone call to an accomplice) your house is broken into (after all...you're away for a week...aren't you?)

That's one reason not to post names. Those who have rarer names are more susceptible to this than Mr. Smiths, or Mr. Jones...but you get the picture.

They can check every city that has a Macy's, that should make it easy!

The names posted on the door could be especially troubling, for say, a well-known executive who just happens to be vacationing with perhaps a younger female "secretary"... sounds like blackmail! I think on my next cruise I'm gonna take a notebook and write down all the names of male/female cabin sharers who don't have the same last name (self included, even though we're married) and then threaten google them from the ship and contact their spouses if they don't pay up!

Seriously, I was also shocked the first time I saw our names posted outside the door- I didn't remove it but I must admit it did make me a little bit paranoid (especially as someone who has been the victim of both identity theft AND home burglary! Not related, though.)

Maybe a nice compromise would be to print a title, first name, and last initial? I think this would satisfy all the concerns about NOT posting them, while still protecting most people's sense of privacy. Still might not help those with ultra-unique first names, but might be okay for John, Ken, Susan, Diane, etc.

Mrs. Sydney :rolleyes:

Oh come on now..what teh heck do you have to hide that you are that concerned about having your name on a door?...if you are not doing anything wrong what do you have to fear I ask?...bill colelctors at sea?:rolleyes:

Tony

NCL doesn't do this. It seems NCL passengers are able to remember their own room numbers. :rolleyes:

Myself I'm mildly paranoid about distinguishing information, since I have previously been a victim of identity theft...which, while it didn't cost me money, DID consume over 6 months of time to extricate myself.

This is the first time I'd heard of the idea of putting a name on a cabin door, but I'll remove mine the moment I arrive.

Do you ever have something positive to bring to a discussion?..for someone who has NEVER cruised Princess you sure have a hell of a lot to say!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

I think posting your name, your home town, and your sailing date on a message board is even more of a giveaway than having your name on your cabin door. The name on your door does not have your home town, nor does it tell anything about you...............you can always remove it. I have met some really nice people, that I now call friend, by meeting them on these boards, and/or on a ship IF we never took a chance on meeting people, it would be a pretty lonesome ol' world.

Do you ever have something positive to bring to a discussion?..for someone who has NEVER cruised Princess you sure have a hell of a lot to say!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Having a contrarian viewpoint isn't necessarily negative.

I'm surprised that more people aren't up in arms about this. The person who commented on the Exec/Secretary got it exactly right.....it's blackmail time.

Of course I have a lot to say. And I'm as entitled as you, to say it!

Having my name on the door is one of the things that Princess does that I really like. NO - I don't worry about it for a second. Funny, but I hardly ever see any removed, so the majority of people must feel the same way.

It leaves me utterly amazed that some of you would be so nasty to each other. The OP mentioned a legitimate concern. A little reassure would be good, you don't have to roast her. I think she has a valid point. As a parent of a teenage girl on a cruise I'm always concerned about safety; It's my responsibility. It's also my right, thank you. Safety is an issue in our society. If you choose to ignore it that's your choice but don't tar and feather those of us who are trying to be realistic. I can have a great time and be cautious. It's just smart.

Well, I think the point is if you don't want your name on the door, the solution is simple - remove it. Just because a few view it as a problem - don't spoil it for the rest of us by wanting Princcess to eliminate it all together!

I haven't read this entire thread, but I believe that one of the reasons is so the cabin steward can call you by name. Our cabin steward came to our door on the first day, called us by name and recognized that we had been on Princess before. I noticed him looking at the name when I ran into him in the hall outside our door later in the week. Then he would say, Good Morning Mrs. .......

Archived