Post your best UNDERWATER cruise pictures

Some turtle farm. There are fifty fish and only one turtle.

Yeah, natural wildlife wasn't overly abundant in the man-made lagoon. But it was a great place for kids to snorkel. It was never too deep and you don't have to fight the waves.

The only benefit with the pictures were that the shallow water allowed for more light and better pictures for my mediocre (at best) waterproof digital camera. I usually spend my money on my lens. I couldn't bring myself to spend to much on an underwater camera.

For me the secret is taking LOTS of pictures. I probably take a dozen pictures for every one that comes out. I have a digital camera that is around 4 years old with an underwater casing. You can buy these on eBay, sometimes inexpensively (for around $50 or so for the camera and another $50 or so for the case) if you pick a model that is 3 or 4 years old (it will be 2 or 3 mega-pixel but that is fine for snapshots) and look a lot for a few weeks. I also adjust the color using Photoshop Elements (the consumer version of photoshop. This makes a huge difference in clarity due to the improved contrast. Look at some examples on this photo gallery ---> CLICK HERE

I don't know if you are still following this thread after so many years but I found this post highly educational.

You've convinced me to make some Photoshop tweaks!!;)

Just curious if you could include what type of Camera you used for these SIMPLY AWESOME photo's. My Wife and i have been looking for a good waterproof camera so that would help us tremendously. Thanks again for the Gorgeous pictures. Mark

For me the secret is taking LOTS of pictures. I probably take a dozen pictures for every one that comes out. I have a digital camera that is around 4 years old with an underwater casing. You can buy these on eBay, sometimes inexpensively (for around $50 or so for the camera and another $50 or so for the case) if you pick a model that is 3 or 4 years old (it will be 2 or 3 mega-pixel but that is fine for snapshots) and look a lot for a few weeks. I also adjust the color using Photoshop Elements (the consumer version of photoshop. This makes a huge difference in clarity due to the improved contrast. Look at some examples on this photo gallery ---> CLICK HERE

I don't know if you are still following this thread after so many years but I found this post highly educational.

You've convinced me to make some Photoshop tweaks!!;)

Wow - Thank you. I looked back and that original post was from 2007. I appreciate the comments.

Cameras have come a long way and I went through a few others after I made that post. I just recently bought a Canon Elph 300HS and its optional underwater marine case sold by Canon and it is an incredible picture for a point and shoot. I love the underwater photos which need little or no post processing. I haven't posted any as I just used it for the first time on a cruise a few weeks ago. Some of the photos are perfect and some would still benefit from a little post processing. When I post some of them I'll post a link here. I'd really recommend this camera for great photos and videos.

I've also seen a lot of great underwater photos from the Canon D10 which is waterproof without a case. I've read a lot of nice reports about the camera and know some cruise friends who've had great experiance with it. Personally I remain a bit leery of the cameras which require no case. I've read enough reviews on Amazon to indicate these cameras might be problematic and that Canon does NOT guarantee it to be waterproof as they will not do warranty repairs due to cameras being damaged because they leaked. For now I'm sticking with the models which have an OEM Canon marine case available and buying those along with the case. Costs a little more but I think it is worth it. Also, I occasionally like to dive down 15 or 20 feet while snorkeling and I believe that depth is beyond cameras like the D10 but well withing the optional marine cases which usually go to diving depths.

I've also seen a lot of great underwater photos from the Canon D10 which is waterproof without a case.

I occasionally like to dive down 15 or 20 feet while snorkeling and I believe that depth is beyond cameras like the D10 .

I love to snorkel. I have the D10 and spend most of my time between 10 and 20 feet. Never had a problem. When it says 33 feet. I'm going to give it a margin of error and stick to 25 feet or less... by doing so, I have never had a problem.

Wow - Thank you. I looked back and that original post was from 2007. I appreciate the comments.

Cameras have come a long way and I went through a few others after I made that post. I just recently bought a Canon Elph 300HS and its optional underwater marine case sold by Canon and it is an incredible picture for a point and shoot. I love the underwater photos which need little or no post processing. I haven't posted any as I just used it for the first time on a cruise a few weeks ago. Some of the photos are perfect and some would still benefit from a little post processing. When I post some of them I'll post a link here. I'd really recommend this camera for great photos and videos.

I've also seen a lot of great underwater photos from the Canon D10 which is waterproof without a case. I've read a lot of nice reports about the camera and know some cruise friends who've had great experiance with it. Personally I remain a bit leery of the cameras which require no case. I've read enough reviews on Amazon to indicate these cameras might be problematic and that Canon does NOT guarantee it to be waterproof as they will not do warranty repairs due to cameras being damaged because they leaked. For now I'm sticking with the models which have an OEM Canon marine case available and buying those along with the case. Costs a little more but I think it is worth it. Also, I occasionally like to dive down 15 or 20 feet while snorkeling and I believe that depth is beyond cameras like the D10 but well withing the optional marine cases which usually go to diving depths.

My DW got me the Canon SD1400 for my birthday. I picked up the underwater case for it on ebay. We just got back from a Southern Caribbean cruise so I had a chance to do a little experimenting. I was pretty happy with the pics until I read your post. I tried the auto color correction and auto fix in Photoshop Elements and it made an amazing difference. I will try to get some pics up here in the next few days. I just got photobucket set up so I'm getting that figured out too.

The only drawback to the underwater case is it's made for diving. It's much heavier than I anticipated but certainly did the job. Where I seemed to be challenged was with the flash. The little built in flash on the SD1400 doesn't have much of a range underwater. The other challenge was getting the fish to pose!:D

Ok, here is my try at posting pics. If they show up, I've taken these with a Canon SD1400 with an underwater housing.

Jost Van Dyke Island

CaribbeanCruiseApr2011bTortolaJostVanDykeIsland051027.jpg

Jalouise Beach, St. Lucia

CaribbeanCruiseApr2011dStLuciaJalouiseBeach010036.jpg

Paynes Bay, Barbados

CaribbeanCruiseApr2011eBarbadosPaynesBay017colorautofix.jpg

Paynes Bay, Barbados

CaribbeanCruiseApr2011eBarbadosPaynesBay022colorautofix.jpg

Lots of beautiful underwater images in here. Never tried underwater photography before since I don't have the necessary equipment. I have a Canon G11 and thinking of buying a waterproof housing instead of buying a D10. Has anyone used this combo before?

Thanks,

Conrad

Just curious if you could include what type of Camera you used for these SIMPLY AWESOME photo's. My Wife and i have been looking for a good waterproof camera so that would help us tremendously. Thanks again for the Gorgeous pictures. Mark
The two pictures I posted were from a Pentax W60. It seems to do a pretty good job... and it didn't leak, so that's a plus. We had it for 2 years before we have the nerve to bring it into the water with us.:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My DW got me the Canon SD1400 for my birthday. I picked up the underwater case for it on ebay. We just got back from a Southern Caribbean cruise so I had a chance to do a little experimenting. I was pretty happy with the pics until I read your post. I tried the auto color correction and auto fix in Photoshop Elements and it made an amazing difference. I will try to get some pics up here in the next few days. I just got photobucket set up so I'm getting that figured out too.

The only drawback to the underwater case is it's made for diving. It's much heavier than I anticipated but certainly did the job. Where I seemed to be challenged was with the flash. The little built in flash on the SD1400 doesn't have much of a range underwater. The other challenge was getting the fish to pose!:D

Your photos arte great! And yes, the minor about of photoshop editing of the underwater photos make a huge difference.

Craky and ion-man - your photos are great but look what 5 min of editing will do to them. It literally unleashes the photo in your photo.

Here is a link to where I explain what I do.

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Other/Underwater-Examples/2211051_kYMXq#162491389_BCEyY

There are lots of other sites that also have lots of processes for editing the color in underwater photos that you can find through Google.

Baracuda off St. John

CarribeanCruise365.jpg

Carky-Baracuda-e.jpg

These are my attempts at underwater pics at Stingray City. Trying out my XACTi underwater camera.

5787524176_a34929e6a7_z.jpgIon-Man-2-e.jpg

I purchased a Canon case for a Canon camera and it flooded on the first dive. When I contacted Canon, they advised that there is NO warranty !

They did offer to sell me a used camera though. I love and would recommend Sealife. I haved no problems and they work with you.

PICT0010.jpg.c9407014bc8ff9138cee7f878f2f3100.jpg

PICT0013.jpg.e0aacf33f97e0342b6d5ce224e3de35b.jpg

PICT0024.jpg.5e25e08ade66bc452ad4c40641f226fe.jpg

PICT0108.jpg.b279f4a70deeb51456d7de2897457441.jpg

PICT0138.jpg.258ec2e5eebd74e3d27b8c9a935c0e7c.jpg

More Photos. How do I supersize them ?

You have to upload them to a photo sharing site such as Smugmug, webshots, photo bucket or one of the many others. Then you just insert an image link here on Cruise Critic.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too. Click here

Archived