Runaway Cruise Director!!

oceanqueen571

Just back from the Galaxy's holiday sailling that had cruise director, Shawn Cavanah, and his assitant go AWOL on the 4th day. While the story announced to those onboard was that he needed to leave due to a family emergency, the buz was that they skipped. It was dreadfullly strange..and it was the quietest holiday sailing I have ever been on.

Isn't Shawn married and doesn't his wife also work for Celebrity? Our last two sailings had him as the CD and I thought his wife was on board Galaxy in November. I honestly don't know for sure, but that was the impression I had. I know he has a long history in the cruise ship business, so it seems strange that he'd just "bail."

It also seems strange that the ship's management wouldn't replace him temporarily mid-cruise. There are enough capable activities staff for one of them to at least carry out the Emcee duties while things are in flux.

I was just on the Galaxy last week and Shawn was fired, along with 5 other people including two male dancers. Sounds like there was some significant drama behind the scenes. This information is from a crew member and was verified by another crew member

wow do tell us more - any other posters got the story. Seems strange and not how X usually handle issues mid cruise

Hi uktog, I have heard of this happening before. Not just on

Celebrity but other lines as well.

Certain issues have those consequences.....off the ship

at the next port, mid cruise makes no difference.

Thanks I did not mean the boot off policy was strange - I have seen that, it is usually they have a back up plan, though maybe for CDs it is different. If is was serious you have to ask why people with well established track records would take any risks.

Sad but I know it happens

Who knows why people do things? Maybe they thought

the risk would be worth whatever the reward was........

I doubt we will find out the "real story"...but then

again, you never know.

I was just on the Galaxy last week and Shawn was fired, along with 5 other people including two male dancers. Sounds like there was some significant drama behind the scenes. This information is from a crew member and was verified by another crew member

It must have been very serious if 6 crew members were put off the ship during a cruise. Especially the CD. WOW.

You think maybe the upgraded bedding had something to do with why the male dancers and the CD got the axe? Especially the "bi-colored" sheets. Maybe *that's* what made the reward irrisistable! I've seen a couple of dancers on cruise ships I might risk a job for. :-) (But not my relationship. Don't worry, Honey.)

The Cruise Director, the assistant Cruise Director and 3 male dancers? I bet a few male passengers were involved as well. Wow... what party did I miss out on? :D

What about the shows? The Celebrity Singers and Dancers always have three or four shows... How could they do it without three missing dancers?:confused:

Gerry

A few years back, one of our friend's daughter was an entertainer on the Radiance. She and the entire group of entertainers were fired mid-cruise after some of them were spotted nude on a beach:o ...now that is the word from the entertainers as to what happened; we all suspect there was more to it than that. But the point is, they dismissed the entire entertainment staff in the blink of any eye!

What about the shows? The Celebrity Singers and Dancers always have three or four shows... How could they do it without three missing dancers?:confused:

Gerry

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Your question is a legitmate one and I am sure

they figured something out.

Depending on when they were dismissed.....if it was

1 or 2 shows left...well, they sang and danced 3 short.

Or they came up with something else...very last minute to

be sure......

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Your question is a legitmate one and I am sure

they figured something out.

Depending on when they were dismissed.....if it was

1 or 2 shows left...well, they sang and danced 3 short.

Or they came up with something else...very last minute to

be sure......

That's called "Show Biz" folks - and "The show must go on". Those dancers are pros, and prepared to continue if there is an injury ( I recall one such event on Infinity once) or some other problem. All they would need would be one day's rehearsal. Of course if three people were let go late in the afternoon of a show, it would be a real problem.

Wish Chester was on this cruise-I'd love to read this chapter:eek:

I doubt if their dismissal would significantly affect the entertainment. Perhaps the schedule might be changed a bit and one of the non Celebrity singers and dancers entertainers might do a show to give them more time to rehearse and adjust, or even do an extra show.

As far as the CD, this may be a great opportunity for a remaining assistant to show their stuff and really advance their career.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

The first show without the other male dancers, the lone remaining one covered his part and the girls danced alone. The two male singers were filling in on some of the parts. They told me that they had to go into extra rehearsals to reblock the show and the male singers had to learn the male dance parts in one day.

Wish Chester was on this cruise-I'd love to read this chapter:eek:

I doubt if their dismissal would significantly affect the entertainment. Perhaps the schedule might be changed a bit and one of the non Celebrity singers and dancers entertainers might do a show to give them more time to rehearse and adjust, or even do an extra show.

As far as the CD, this may be a great opportunity for a remaining assistant to show their stuff and really advance their career.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

The assistant that took over was from the activities department..generally called BINGO and danced . Naomi is a sweet person but looked like a deer caught in headlights...HARDLY CD material, in my opinion.

Archived