375lbs!!! Are they kidding??

Dremac373

I was thinking about the Seatrek Parasail excursion while in Cococay in April and was reading that there is a 375lbs total max. I am an atheletic 6ft 4in. 240lbs on a good day and the wife is...well lets just say is a little more than the 135lbs extra the we have to work with ;). Has any really been rejected or seen 1st had people up in there air that was more than that limit???? The picture is kinda misleading :(

Oh yes they will, I signed just DH up because our combined weight would be over the limit. The shorex people said to stop at the kiosk on the island and see if there was someone else looking for a partner. Well the lady at the both asked why I wasn't doing it with my DH and she said "No problem, mon. Captain a good captain, if heay don't thinka you can do it then you don't!" I went up with DH. No problem mon. Anyway, you can switch partners with someone else, the boat takes about 8 of you at one time.

As stated above I guess they will do it, the better question is should you do it? IF the max weight it is designed to hold is 375, then I wouldn't do it. That being said there is probably a safety margin added to that. The question is how much of a safety margin is there and how many times has that margin been exceeded putting undue stress on the equipment. Chanses are if you are just a little over you will be fine, but if it is more than a little then I dont care what the guy making $1 hour to load people says, I am not going up in it...

I was thinking about the Seatrek Parasail excursion while in Cococay in April and was reading that there is a 375lbs total max. I am an atheletic 6ft 4in. 240lbs on a good day and the wife is...well lets just say is a little more than the 135lbs extra the we have to work with ;). Has any really been rejected or seen 1st had people up in there air that was more than that limit???? The picture is kinda misleading :(

Honey, being over the weight limit on the excursion will be the least of your worries when your wife see this post. She's gonna skin you alive my friend!! ;) Okay, just kidding. I know I'd never let my hubby hear the end of it if I saw him post this. I'd tease him mercilessly until he agreed to take me on an exotic cruise somewhere to make it up to me.

Cheryl

We are booked on the LOS inf June. My two daughters (ages 18 and 15) really would like to go parasailing. According to the site, anyone under 16 must have a parent or guardian with them. No way will I be going up there. Would my 18 (almost 19) year old daughter be able to ride tandem with the 15 year old? I know on other cruises my 15 year old could ride by herself on a single parasail, so not quite sure of the "real" rules for the tandem. If she needs a parent with her, she will be waiting a few more years!

Whatever you do, just remember that if you book the parasailing through the cruiseline your chances of a safe sail will be better (because they will probably have insurance and some sort of safety checks for frayed ropes, boat engines stalling, etc).

If you google parasailing, accident, you will find more information on anything that can and has gone wrong. Better to be safe than sorry.

As far as wanting to exceed the weight limits, they are set for your safety and you won't "float" down if the rope breaks...It won't be worth the risk you are taking. Take my opinions or leave them, either way.

The weight limits have aLOT of margin in them. I was ziplining in Whistler Canada last year and the weight limit listed was about 260 per person -- but, the equipment was actually rated to hold several thousand pounds at a time. So - it's not the device holding you up -- it's the harness you are wearing that is the weight restriction.

also double check your cruise insurance...most DO NOT cover parasailing. I have found the ones that do are generally sold by the Student Travel websites (sta dot com; world nomads etc.) and have the same underwriters ....but offer cheaper coverage that also include parasailing and scuba diving. Gotta read the fine print!

Thanks guys for your input, it was just intriguing to me the weight limit and if that is just a "suggested" limit or not. By all means I would not want to risk my nor the DW life for 5 minutes In fact the whol excursion would be over before I could get her to actually get her to over come her fear and get in the harness lol

Archived