Inside Cabin Regret?

sexyaznboy

Hi guys, first cruise on Celebrity. Booked an inside cabin and now looking at the pictures on line I'm wondering if I will be incredibly claustrophobic without having a window and the small size of the room.

Anyone can comment? It seems most on the board have a balcony or suite.

I was in an inside cabin on Century in January. I loved the cabin and never felt claustrophobic. I had never had an inside cabin before and after the experience on Century I will book inside cabins in the future-especially if I'm traveling alone-as it will save me money! Besides, how much time do you spend in the cabin anyway???

Claudia

We always book an inside cabin - we're never it in except to change and sleep. The insides on Celebrity are a bit bigger than the other cruise lines - they're 171 sq feet (I think Princess was 160 sq feet). I have never felt claustrophobic in an inside stateroom.

Good morning, I have had all 3 types of cabins.

Lucky enough to have a balcony 3 times...but more often than

not I book an inside.

It has never bothered me at all....sailing solo I only use it for

sleeping, showering and changing my clothes.

This is the age old question of what people prefer. There

are many folks who do enjoy sitting out on their balcony and

will not book a cruise without one.

Then there are those who just want the sunlight without

paying the extra for the balcony.

Then there are others who just want to be on the ship.

I would be in that category.

When you say "most people" book balconies and/or suites,

I don't know the % but there are tons and tons of us

who don't book either.

Enjoy your cruise:) and I feel like 174 sq feet is more

than enough room for me.

Hey Phil, and a good morning back at you:D :)

Oh, I am having an inside cabin next month on Mercury:)

P.S. I am on my way to Orlando this morning..meeting

a group of friends from CC for a fun lunch;) about 18 of us!

oops sorry to get off topic!

I have done all tree, but would not do an inside unless I couldn't afford the trip otherwise. I only did the inside on a 4 day to Bahamas, didn't think it mattered much, was there with my daughter as a last minute "good" deal. We both thought it's worth the money for at least a window, you can't tell what the weathers doing, don't see the sun coming in; we just didn't like it! On a longer cruise, I need a balcony(especially in changeable weather to see how to dress). The balcony also makes the cabin seem bigger even if you only open the curtains.

Thanks for all the responses! :)

I guess that I've seen a lot of postings talking about balconies and suites and I am a bit envious of course! But my TA actually said the extra cost is not worth it, but travelling to Panama Canal I thought wouldn't it be nice to be sitting on the balcony instead of having to go out on deck...I'd love to have a balcony, for two of us I cannot afford the extra expense.

I went on the X site and those virtual tours actually make the room look a lot smaller. The window rooms are so small that I'd probably either get a balcony or inside room. I don't think I'll be spending too much time in the room other than sleeping but it would be nice to be able to sit outside in the morning and evening as the sun rises and sets...

Thanks for the encouragement, I think I'll have a good time anyways!:cool:

We have been on 41 cruises, 2 had a balcony. They were in Alaska and Panama Canal in order to see things without having to be pushed around the railings. We had a couple window, but most were inside. Its nice to be able to see outside, but for us not worth the extra $$. Give it a try and judge for yourself. Some passengers say to turn the TV on to the station where you see the front of the ship. Turn the sound off. When the sun comes up it is like having a window in the cabin.

We have only cruised 4 times and have had inside cabins 3 times and a window once. We would not have paid extra for the window and have always felt that we could not justify the additional cost of a balcony. We have had 4 wonderful cruise experiences and the best of all was the first which you will enjoy no matter what cabin you are in.

Enjoy your holiday

That is a cool idea about the TV Helen Rose! Thanks, I'll try it! It would be nice when you wake up to know what the weather is outside, and to check out the sites as you get into the ports.

And "Mommy" I often wondered whether getting a balcony was more of a function of being able to afford it, I'm a new cruiser, this is only my second cruise (the first one on Carnival we got upgrade from an inside to a balcony, I do NOT know how that happened! :confused: ). Right now I can't afford upgrading to a balcony, its nice to know there are a lot more people who have done inside cabins who have enjoyed their cruises without a balcony! Happy Cruisin Mommy and hey you are going to Hawaii on the same boat! I've heard great things about the Summit! Happy crusing to you too!

An inside cabin is the best if you like to sleep in or take naps during the day... it will be totally dark.

If you are the type the likes to enjoy all the ship has to offer, you probably will not be in the cabin except to change and sleep. In that case an inside cabin works as well as anything else, and you can save money.

If you feel you will spend a lot of time in the cabin, then you may want to consider an upgrade. I don't see a lot of value in a window... I had one on the last cruise and while it was interesting at times, the view really was not that clear. The sea spray obscures some of the clarity.

A balcony offers a nice place to relax in semi-private, but you do pay quite a premium for that. Not worth it to me, but some people would not sail without one.

We had a balcony going through the canal. We lucked out, but realized that the other side of the ship did not have a good view of what was happening. In our experience we did not know which lane the ship would be assigned to enter the canal until we were entering the canal. We entered the right lane and were on port side where we were able to watch the action of the mules pulling the ship and a Princess ship going through beside and a little ahead of us. If we had been starboard, we wouldn't have been able to see all the action. A balcony is not a guaranty of a good view.

Celebrity rooms are pretty much the same size until you get to CC class or suites. 171 sq. ft.

We always turn on the tv to catch the printed weather forecast even with a window or a balcony.

Enjoy your inside room. It's a cruise!

I guess you get what you pay for! The windows look like they are little more than a peephole, maybe I'm exaggerating :p but to me it wouldn't be worth it. And having a balcony according to my TA would have been 800 dollars more per person. Is concierge class the same thing as having a room with balcony? I was looking at the catalogue and delux ocean view stateroom with verada looks very similar to concierge class, except cCC is a bit bigger. So I'm not sure if what that 800 dollars would have bought me.

I agree with all your posts, its all about what you are looking for in a cruise. I have a colleague at work that insists on having a balcony, she would not go on a cruise any other way (she claims more because of the smell). For me, I like to head out early on and spend most of the day on the ship. The only time it would be nice to have a balcony is the view at sunrise and sunset and to see the ports and canal when the boat is pulling in.

Just remember, there is nothing you can see out the balcony that you cannot see from many other public places around the ship.

The difference is in having a "private space"... some people are willing to pay for this and some are not. So there are different types of rooms.

The really nice thing is that those who don't need the premium room can enjoy the same food, entertainment, ports, and other services as people who pay a whole lot more.

So to me, inside rooms are the ultimate in value!

Hi guys, first cruise on Celebrity. Booked an inside cabin and now looking at the pictures on line I'm wondering if I will be incredibly claustrophobic without having a window and the small size of the room.

I have been on X cruises with a balcony. They are nice but then again it depends on how much time you will be spending in the room. There are so many things to do on the ship that it might not matter. I was nice having the balconey when we went through the inside passage but we noticed that most people seemed to be on the upper deck and very few were in their rooms. I guess you have to weigh the price of the suite to the inside room and see for yourself for maybe a future cruise. I think they could put me in the engine room and I would still have a good time. Have a great cruise.

We have had every type of cabin, including a junior suite (which, incidentally, only had two loungers after much gnashing of teeth to steward and Customer Relations. We were told told that a junior suite had one lounger. Two only for the grand suite!) but still occasionally choose an inside cabin.

Our decision is not based on funds, but sometimes the route dictates an inside (some winter transatlantics, for example) plus we always sleep so well in them. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Don't worry, you'll have a great time.

I've been on many Celebrity cruises and here's my spin on this subject:

Inside - If have a very port intensive cold weather cruise you might want to consider an inside and save the money to use on excursions. I've had problems though with the Millenium class ships inside cabins on decks 8 and 9. They had mechanical noises in the walls and had to be moved on one of my cruises. Due to this fact, I will not book another inside on this class of ship.

Oceanview - My best-kept secret is the oceanviews on the decks that have the guest relations desk area. These cabins are in the front of the ship usually on decks 3 or 4. An oceanview is the same size as the insides but you have a nice large window. It's nice to have some light and the drapes block out the sunlight, so it's just as dark as an inside. I book these cabins now instead of an inside especially if I want to save some money.

Concierge Cabins Balconies - I booked my last cruise to Hawaii in one of these and only did so because this cabin was cheaper than the oceanview I had on deck three. Always check the price on this cabin because I think they have such an abundance that they reduce the prices. How can you go wrong. Personally I would not pay full price for this cabin. Yes it is a bit larger than a regular balcony, but I don't think the extra amentities are worth the price of the cabin. If you want a balcony, go with a regular one.

Sky Suite - Unfortunately I have not been in this cabin yet, but I would consider it for the right price. I've seen it and it's a nice size cabin with a large balcony. Very spacious and a nice design.

Celebrity Suite - I have seen one of these and it's a great layout. I booked this cabin on my next May 2007 West Coast/Alaska cruise. This is considered a repo cruise and I got this cabin what I think is a great price. I know I will be spoiled after being in this one.

Penthouse Suites - Haven't been in this one. I would rather cruise three times for the price of one of these cabins.

When booking a cabin, see what fits your needs and budget.

Inside, window, Conciege Class (veranda), and sky suites.

For me it depends on the itinerary, the climate, and the length of the trip.

For a quick 3,4,5 nighter I usually would opt for a inside, maybe window due to the fact I won't be spending much time in the room.

For a 7 nighter I'd prefer a window, but wouldn't object to an inside.

For a long cruise like the Mediteranean cruise coming up...I decided on a balcony due to the number of sea days and the interesting vistas. I will be sitting outside enjoying the weather and scenery.

On our recent Alaskan Cruise we had a Concierge class on deck 12. While the scenery was beautiful, it was either raining or too cold to sit out for very long. We've decided to opt for just a window on our next trip to Alaska.

The other thing to think about is all the events going on onboard. theres way too much to do and see as opposed to sitting in your room all the time. If you are a Captains Club member you're even busier.

Enjoy your trip what ever you may choose, and just remember its temporary sleeping quarters for your journey.

Dave:eek:

i have been in insides mostly..but i do know life in the other rooms. I have had oceanview(the really big one in the front of the ship) and a balcony (none of which i would pay for but who can argue with the upgrade fairy)

The rooms are all the same size basically (except as mentioned suites etc)...the balcony room seemed a bit smaller to me though(because of the layout) In an inside the beds are against the backwall leaving all the space from the door..in a balcony the beds come off the side walls. You have to walk around the beds to get to the vanity.

when getting an inside cabin the secret is to make sure there is a sofa in the room..these are the best layout for the inside cabin.

the outside cabins have a window(if its clean) you can see out but IMO so not worth any money for the light.If i recall (not positive though) a lot of the windows are above the bed so you cant sit in a chair and gaze out..a big tease hahaha

doing the panama canal...you are going to want to see different aspects of the ride. Watching from the front gives 1 perspective but dont miss watching from the back! I absolutely loved seeing the doors closing and another ship going through. Be sure to walk around and see the side views as well.

enjoy the cruise no matter what you choose

*sweet*

I usually book a quad inside with my husband and two sons and have never felt claustrophobic even with the four us in the cabin. We've been on NCL, Princess and Celebrity and never had a problem with the inside cabin. The insides on most ships are the same size as the outsides with windows the only difference being the window everything else is pretty much the same.

The TV idea is a great one. I learned that for our first cruise from the CC boards and have been doing it ever since. The music they play on the webcam is usually classical so if you forget to turn the sound down it's not so bad. The Galaxy webcam didn't move around so there was only video of the covered deck. On Princess they had a couple of different webcams so you could see the pool area, view from the bridge and the sea that would rotate every couple of minutes.

I fall into the category of I'm not in the cabin that much and would rather spend my money on shore excursions and other things than on a cabin with a balcony or even a window. We have friends who will only cruise if they can get a balcony. Besides being in an inside forces you get out, enjoy the ship and mingle with others.

Eileen

I'm one of those that would only book a verandah stateroom. Our very first cruise in the mid-eighties had a small porthole...hated it....too dark for me. Some folks don't mind at all. We all have different lifestyles and some of us live in highrises and others live out in the country so I guess it is whatever suits your temperament. I need lots of open space and natural light to feel comfortable...perhaps it's because I live out in the desert with vistas for miles around our house. I enjoy looking at scenery or the ocean, having breakfast for two on the verandah, etc. Anyway, if you can afford a verandah go for it!

sexyaznboy,

If I were booking a cruise for a honeymoon and thus intending to spend much time in the cabin in romantic pursuits with the intention of ensuring that the new marriage would be consummated many timse over by the end of the cruise, or something similar, I would book the nicest suite that I could swing. But if you're travelling with your mom, I doubt that you have that intent.

Realisically, I don't go on a cruise to hang out in my cabin. Rather, the cabin is a place to sleep, shower, change clothes, and stow belongings. There are plenty of lounges with huge windows and plenty of decks with open rails if you want to look out. Also, there are fabulous lounges on both promenades where absolutely nobody will bother you if you want to get away from the crowds and take in the day. Thus, an inside cabin is quite adequate.

FWIW, I think that the cruise lines' marketing materials do make the standard cabins look smaller than they really are. Nonetheless, Celebrity's inside cabins have mirrors on one wall so they actually "feel" much bigger than they are. I have never heard of anybody booking an "inside" cabin and then having a problem with claustrophobia.

Norm.

Archived