Muggers fought off on Shore Excursion in Costa Rica (Liberty cruise..)

sgriff17

Holy Cow! I can't imagine how terrified the group must have been. However, to have a man in his 70's fend them off was awesome. Too bad someone had to lose their life, but better the mugger than the tourist. I know we're easy targets but those that prey on seniors are cowards.

Although any loss of life is tragic- This is exactly the stance Americans need to, and have adopted post 9-11.

I am grateful that none of the Tourists were injured, and I sincerely hope the word gets out that we are not going to be passive anymore!

HOOO RAH!

Jim

Wow...that is scary! I have also been more aware of dangers in Belize and amazed that some people seem to think a "positive attitude" will work LOL

That is just scary, sorry to see anyone die, but better the mugger than the cruiser! They were lucky to have that guy with them

I would also be interested if this is a private tour or a ship tour

Someone posted that they took a private taxi in Belize and the poor driver had to back up a street to avoid some armed robbers he luckily spotted ahead of them....

JMO ship's tours in the more "wild and wooly" ports are looking better and betterr??

The thing I find interesting is the authorities said the murder was justified, and let them continue on with there vacation. If this same thing happened here in the U.S. these poor seniors would be tied up in court and spending the rest of the vacation money on lawyers and court cost, and probably spending the rest of there retirement in prison.

Another link...They rode back with the dead man:eek:

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=289902007

They got off their tour bus to take photos in a notoriously rough neighbourhood a short drive from Limon. After the attack, they put Segura's body on their bus and found a police officer in Limon to report the incident.

Another link...They rode back with the dead man:eek:

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=289902007

They got off their tour bus to take photos in a notoriously rough neighbourhood a short drive from Limon. After the attack, they put Segura's body on their bus and found a police officer in Limon to report the incident.

Love how they neglected to mention the age of the tourists :rolleyes:

I hope that guy doesn't pay for another cocktail on his cruise!!

We were in Puerto Limon in January, and you couldn't pay me to get off that tour bus....too seedy for this girl. Yet a couple we chatted with on board told us they just walked out the port gates and spent a few hours walking in town, and felt perfectly safe.

But what I don't understand is that if the bus driver knew it was a high crime area, why did he stop for pictures, and let everybody off. Three muggers just don't appear out of nowhere with the intention to rob elderly tourists, unless they know for a fact that the bus would be stopping there, and were waiting for them to arrive. Too much of a coincidence for me.

It's sad someone had to die...but given option...I choose the mugger! :(

Hey, the first article states the cruise ship was the Liberty and the second one states it was the Legend.

Which one Liberty or Legend?

I'm going on the Legend soon! :eek:

It was Liberty..the 2/17 Liberty Called on Costa Rica Wednesday.

I guess the reporter or spokesman for the Police just had the 2 ships mixed up.

Unless this "photo stop" is considered part of the tour, I also would be interested if the driver was connected.

Those poor cruisers. I can't imagine the stress of being attacked, having to kill someone to save your life, then wondering if the "locals" are going to see it that way...before hearing those precious words "you are free to go".

Truly a lesson to us all to keep that guard up at all times.

I can't believe that people who have posted on this thread feel bad for the "muggers/thieves" with guns and knives.

I can't believe it....:eek:

These would be killers of the elderly got exactly what they deserved.

The great thing about it is the one who died trying to prey on the elderly...will be in hell sooner than the others...:) I hope they join him soon....

How would you feel if your parents or grandparents were on that bus...????/:confused:

A group of U.S. tourists, including a former Marine, killed a Costa Rican mugger by breaking his neck after he pulled a gun on them in a Caribbean port, a local police official said on Thursday.

Costa Rica is suppose to be one of the Safest spots in South America, there are tons of Americans that live in San Jose and San Ramon. Many more americans moving there every year. I even took a look at some of the homes there in San Ramon since I know a few Nurses moving there.

At first I thought this guy was a Retired Navy Seal, but a Retired Marine and probably a Vietnam Vet will also work. :) A Job well Done, now we have one less piece of S.hit in this world.

Fred

Archived