Muggers fought off on Shore Excursion in Costa Rica (Liberty cruise..)

sgriff17

Thank you Dansu for this quote from MSNBC. I had not read that.

Since I'm shooting form the hip on this topic, the mother here, is a dope.

First, Justice. It was metted out.

Second , punishment. It was metted out.

Third, "could have saved him?". She, being a dope, is fooling herself. He wasn't staying out of trouble, she knew it, and didn't do anything about it.

Fourth, finally she hit some solid ground. Well, maybe not so solid. Yeah, the defender might have been detained in the United States, but I am confident there is not an elected States Attourney anywhere in the United States willing to pursue a charge on a senior citizen defending themselves and others in this fashion and circumstances.

Fifth, here is where I seal the indictment on the dope charge. Her son wasn't in the United States, and most importantly forget to mention in his upbringing, not to mug a U.S. Marine, active or retired. They are trained to protect, often with deadly results.

It seems that no matter how horrific the crime, or how solid the evidence proving a perpetrator's guilt, there's always a Momma onhand to deny accountability/deflect blame. Maybe it's a defense mechanism - to admit the truth might bring up issues of bad parenting or perhaps it's just too horrific for them to contemplate.

It is amazing at times how impossible it is for parents to admit any wrongdoing on their child's part, even small misdeeds. Happens all the time now, even here.

You hit the nail right on the head my friend . I am 44 years old and my mother would do exactly as your mom.

I am tired of this trend of everyones bad behavior being forgiven because 20 years ago "Mommy didn't hug me , Daddy didn't love me".

You need to look no further than this Anna Nicole freak show to see the effects of what happens when people who shouldn't even be allowed to tend to a plant end up raiseing children.

I agree with what u say but why just blame Anna Nicoles mother. Perhaps her mother tried to do a good job of raising her daughter.

Seems to me we all make choices and take our chances as Anna Nicole did for 'publicity' - u know the 'notice me' thing and to make $$ (married a very wealthy man old enough to be her 'great grandfather' 'cause she 'LOVED' him -yah right and I am the Queen of England)..

Worked too well it seems - may have cost her and her son their lives and that poor baby - She has many folks very, very willing to take her on now not 'cause they love her but because she may be wealthy and they will benefit from that...UGLY/SICK devastating situation for that child.

And please folks lets put some blame where it also belongs - on the MEDIA - who love a 'circus' and help create it because they want to make $$ and also ourselves for buying newspapers carrying the Anna Nicole stories because we want to be 'titillated..to add excitment to rather dull lives or so we think. Takes '2 to tango' I believe.

Then there is our whole culture that gets worse each year teaching not the virtues & values of our forefathers but the value?? of being famous (& therefore I am important) and $$.. Get it at ANY cost...even our dignity & reputation.

As an example I offer the cases of several young women showing their private parts for public viewing - please - spare me...our society/culture is becoming very sick & may be terminal!! Starting to understand why some other cultures view Americans as 'deviants' - well maybe they have a point!! Sad but true...

Just got off that ship. Camera's were waiting and trying to find out more and get pictures. While we were on the ship they really down played it. We were even told that it did not happen.

Hi Maggie! As you said, nothing official was ever announced on board - just lots of rumors flying around. The first time we heard anything was from a woman with a cabin down the hall from the retired Marine. However, Saturday morning there we were channel surfing in our cabin, getting ready for breakfast, when we watched the story on the ABC Morning News. (Every now and then those Denver TV stations come in handy.) It was rather surreal, sitting on board watching a news report about our cruise!

As I said in posting on another thread, I'd go back to Costa Rica without hesitation. It's a beautiful country and we met a number of really nice people.

I was also on this cruise last week...we were downtown buying coffee when our tour driver recieved a call that this assault had happened. I've never seen a place with so many houses with security bars on the windows and also they had Iron fences and gates on almost every house. We were told by our waiter that the scuffle happened on the bus while they were taking pictures...............Dennis

Wait a minute....this board is geting very confusing. I was not aware that Anna Nicole Smith or her mother were on this cruise nor was I aware that they were in Costa Rica at the time of the cruise. I thought Anna Nicole had died in Florida before this cruise and attack happened? I guess I must be wrong since so many people are posting here on Anna Nicole and her mom?

:cool:

Hi Maggie! As you said, nothing official was ever announced on board - just lots of rumors flying around.

I guess I don't understand why they should have announced anything. Perhaps they were being sensitive to the man's privacy and felt that there would be enough publicity about it without adding to it. Once the ship was on its way, it really wasn't an issue that the other passengers could do anything about. That's just my take.

I guess I don't understand why they should have announced anything. Perhaps they were being sensitive to the man's privacy and felt that there would be enough publicity about it without adding to it. Once the ship was on its way, it really wasn't an issue that the other passengers could do anything about. That's just my take.

I'm not saying they should have - But other folks on this board thought the guy should have been given a medal by the captain! Actually, I had a conversation on the Lido deck Saturday afternoon with someone who thought there should have been an announcement, and my opinion then was that I could understand why they wouldn't do so since some people might find it upsetting. In retrospect (hindsight always being 20/20), given that it was being reported in the media and being seen by people on the ship, it might not have been a bad idea to acknowledge that there had been an incident while not identifying anyone involved.

My take is the people involved just want to let it fade out of their life. I don't think the Ex-Marine wants to dwell on something he was basically forced to do. I'm fine with anonimnity. I hope the group can live the rest of their lives without recalling the incident. :cool:

(Oh boy, here come the flames. Nobody forced him to attack the perpetrator. Yeah, pull that crap in front of a Marine and it's damn near instinctual.):eek:

And believe it or not we were totally unaware of the incident until we got back to work on Monday! We also took a little private van tour that made several stops. It turns out that we ran out of time for our beach stop(where the mugging took place). I am now wondering if maybe the tour guys knew about the incident and set it up so we ran out of time. No one complained because we did so much in one day. While I enjoyed my cruise, I wouldn't do that itinerary again. We had fun in each port, but that part of Costa Rica is pretty impoverished as is Panama.

What puzzles me is everyone's insistence that if this had happened in the U.S., this elderly man would be charged and jailed. Maybe this is just Texas, but we have laws which allow law abiding citizens to protect their lives and property with lethal force. This guy would be no-billed for sure! As to civil suits, I doubt any Texas jury would find for the plaintiff vs. an elderly marine protecting his life and the lives of other passengers. Just MHO.

Thank you! That's what I kept thinking every time I read another post saying he'd go to jail in the states. Not my state!

You guys who live in states that would throw this Marine in jail for defending the lives of those in his tour group need to move to Texas, lol. On Tuesday night in Frisco, Texas, a 19 year old male attempted to carjack a 60+ year old lady at gunpoint. She refused. The "alleged carjacker":D is now in a hospital recovering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen! Police were quoted as saying "The woman had no choice but to defend herself. She will not be charged."

Yeah for Texas!

Well he would not go to jail in Florida either....

my guess is that the "reality" of doing what had to be done is not that pleasant for this good man and good Marine...

if he does not want to talk, let him be...

there are plenty people here who are whooping it up like it was a nascar race victory or something...it was a scary and dangerous situation, this good Marine's training and courage kicked in...

but it is NOT something he would have ever chosen IMHO

not something he wants to be bothered by people clapping his back and annoying his grandkids

I hope he can handle this the best way for him and his family

and know that many of us admire him but understand his pain and desire for privacy.

Well he would not go to jail in Florida either....

my guess is that the "reality" of doing what had to be done is not that pleasant for this good man and good Marine...

if he does not want to talk, let him be...

there are plenty people here who are whooping it up like it was a nascar race victory or something...it was a scary and dangerous situation, this good Marine's training and courage kicked in...

but it is NOT something he would have ever chosen IMHO

not something he wants to be bothered by people clapping his back and annoying his grandkids

I hope he can handle this the best way for him and his family

and know that many of us admire him but understand his pain and desire for privacy.

Well said.

The "alleged carjacker":D is now in a hospital recovering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen!

In California the laws added CarJacking as a strike, that pretty much ended carjacking here :D If it happens to be your 3rd Strike, say bye bye. New home of address for Life, California State Prison :)

What constitutes a strike and under what

conditions varies between States. There are,

however, some constants--violent felonies such as

murder, rape, and carjacking are typically included

as strikeable offenses.

Archived