Muggers fought off on Shore Excursion in Costa Rica (Liberty cruise..)

sgriff17

let's try to remember that a mother lost her son that day, maybe a sister lost her brother and possibly even a baby lost its Daddy. I know its hard to have compassion for people like this man but try to think a little deeper.

And it is thinking like that why the criminals now have more rights than the victims. The young man made his decision in life to do wrong and paid for it. Had he tried to be a productive member of society, he would still be alive today.

Dave

An incredible story. The only way it could be improved is if all three muggers had received their just rewards.

I do hope the name of the bus driver for this independent excursion gets publicized. He should never be used again by anyone. It's not worth the risk that he was in collusion with the muggers.

An incredible story. The only way it could be improved is if all three muggers had received their just rewards.

I do hope the name of the bus driver for this independent excursion gets publicized. He should never be used again by anyone. It's not worth the risk that he was in collusion with the muggers.

IMHO, the moral of the story is: don't mess with Americans. And, especially don't mess with elder cruise ship passengers!

BTW, the story also appeared on MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17284416/

I'll be sailing on the Celebrity Summit 4/14/2007 as we do a full transit of the canal. We stop at Panama and Costa Rica.

George

That is probaby the worst part of all. Because this elderly man is a man of honor and character, not only is his cruise ruined but this will always be with him.

Since he is retired military (where death is still horrible, but necessary for survival) I hope he can put this incident in the same catagory as being at war.

From what I have read so far regarding this incident the ``elderly'' man was referred to by a Costa Rican officer who said he guessed the man was in his 70's. Have not seen a report so far that gives the man's true age.

``Elderly'' is in the eye of the beholder. I guess I would not call a man who ``looked like he was in his 70s'' and could save this many lives by his actions as ``elderly.''

Also, this not-so-elderly gentleman is reported to be a retired Marine who apparently never forgot his training or ability to do what he was trained to do.

My family has been mostly Army through the years, and yes, our Army family members have called the Marines Jar Heads in a friendly type of razzing.

Got to give to the Jar Heads on this one for always being there when needed. Once a Marine, always a Marine, for the rest of your life.:cool:

Dianne

Unbelievable story but true:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,253959,00.html

You really need to keep personal security in mind when going ashore, especially if you go out on your own outside a reputable organized tour.

Thank God the passengers involved weren't hurt, and bravo for standing up to a bunch of thugs. Don't mess with retired military.

And it is thinking like that why the criminals now have more rights than the victims. The young man made his decision in life to do wrong and paid for it. Had he tried to be a productive member of society, he would still be alive today.

Dave

Ok, apparently you didn't understand my point. I, in no way, feel sorry for the mugger nor feel he diserves any rights. I did not make that statement either. All I am saying is... before you start making cruel remarks such as in your first post, try to remember that there are other people who have paid for this too through no fault of their own. No decision was made on their part. Would you make this remark to them?

I think everyone traveling to foriegn ports need to be attentive to surroundings as much as in areas of most cities here in the states. Keep your eyes open but when threatened it is important to protect yourselves. Military personnel are trained to use force when needed. In the situation the outcome was totally justified. I am thankful that it ended the way it did. I gave the military 10 years and would act the same if possible.

While I agree that these passengers did what I think most people would do in this situation and I am glad they are safe, let's try to remember that a mother lost her son that day, maybe a sister lost her brother and possibly even a baby lost its Daddy. I know its hard to have compassion for people like this man but try to think a little deeper.

The only one who needed to think a little deeper is the mugger.

You know the old saying.."Live by the sword, die by the sword".

I find it hard to believe that any Americans would post that they have compassion for these criminals and their families. Let's see how much compassion this person has if he or she goes on a tour and has a knife or gun pointed at them. As I said before, this retired Marine should have been honored and given a medal by the Captain of that Carnival ship...he prevented a situation that could have gotten very ugly and resulted in the deaths or injuries of innocent American Senior Citzens on a bus tour.

I agree with a fellow cc poster that the name of that tour operator should be published, the police conduct an investigation of the driver and Carnival cease all business with the firm.

If this happened in the USA, there would be a bunch of bleeding heart liberal ACLU lawyers looking to sue this retired Marine for some trumped-up reason. Let's be grateful that if it had to happen, it happened in Costa Rica!:cool:

I am trying to be as nice as I can here......

You people are obviously such angry people that you can't even see through that anger to understand the real point of what I was trying to say.

By the way, to the Marine, if you get back and read this I applaud your heroism. God bless you!

I have always been aware that anytime I am on vacation I am potentially a crime victim. When in Paris and Rome the Gypsies were everywhere. I helped an elderly couple that was about to become victims while we were in Paris. I ran up to them when a couple of young kids were busy flapping a piece of cardboard at them while one was about to lift a wallet. I yelled to them and ran over and knocked the cardboard out of their hands. He grabbed his wallet just before it was about to disappear. Tourists craning their heads up to take pictures of Notre Dame Cathedral are easy targets. All heads looking up.. while thief's are into their pockets..etc.

In St. Thomas I had a friend have her arm broken as a thief grabbed her purse right off of her arm. This happened right in front of the Castle.

Jamaica well no words here.

In Rome I watched as a motorcycle came by and lifted someones shoulder bag without stopping.

We can't avoid it. We need to be ready for anything. Not let it destroy our trips. I don't blame the American who grabbed the guy and possibly saved his group from harm. I hear this person that died had a record.

I don't condone going around killing people. I am sure this gentleman didn't intentionally mean to kill him but his adrenaline was at a high and he just reacted..

Someone mentioned that they wanted the name of the tour guide or bus driver etc.. I am a bit confused because I read conflicting reports of this occurring while at the beach..

I will be on this cruise in June and will be taking a Carnival run tour. I have many friends who have just purchased vacation homes in Costa Rica and rave about it.

Every place that attracts tourists is a risk for crime..

SO.... enough of this..

I think everyone has vented. So lets all go back to counting down the days till our next cruise and FOO FOO drinks!

Don't you just love that word...."alleged" mugger.

Sometimes you wonder who the bigger cowards are...the thugs or the media.

Just one time I would love to see a newspaper really tell it like it is:

"this afternoon, some snot nosed, brainless, arrogant weasel tried to prey on what he thought were some helpless elderly people and got his worthless, cowardly neck snapped!!"

A response to your comment, not in reference to this particular incident:

The media are supposed to report the news, not decide guilt or innocence of accused persons before all facts are known. Certainly we all know that people are often wrongly accused of crimes for all kinds of reasons (mistaken identity, lying witnesses, etc.), so it's important for the news to be reported with that in mind. This is called being fair and objective,not cowardly. After all facts are in and accused parties have been convicted by a jury of their peers, then the "alleged" term can ethically be omitted.

Some crazy person could accuse you of being a pedophile. Would you appreciate some journalist referring to you as a despicable perverted child molester in the news even before one fact has been gathered?

A response to your comment, not in reference to this particular incident:

The media are supposed to report the news, not decide guilt or innocence of accused persons before all facts are known. Certainly we all know that people are often wrongly accused of crimes for all kinds of reasons (mistaken identity, lying witnesses, etc.), so it's important for the news to be reported with that in mind. This is called being fair and objective,not cowardly. After all facts are in and accused parties have been convicted by a jury of their peers, then the "alleged" term can ethically be omitted.

Some crazy person could accuse you of being a pedophile. Would you appreciate some journalist referring to you as a despicable perverted child molester in the news even before one fact has been gathered?

That is understandable if there is any doubt at all. However, this is not the case. The thug has been charged, tried, convicted and executed. There is nothing "alleged" any long. If the thug was still "alleged", that Marine would not be back on his cruise ship headed home. As stated earlier, thank goodness this happened in Costa Rica. If this had happened here in the good ole USA, the poor Marine would be facing a civil suit from the thugs family for wrongful death.

BTW< Tucker on MSNBC just announced the Marine's name. I did not think that was necessary....but then...you already know what I think about the media.

If this happened in the USA, there would be a bunch of bleeding heart liberal ACLU lawyers looking to sue this retired Marine for some trumped-up reason. Let's be grateful that if it had to happen, it happened in Costa Rica!:cool:

I agree 100%. I have a handful of family members who have served in the Marine Corps. Once a Marine, always a Marine. They never forget what was taught to them while they served. It seems this guy in Costa Rica didn't either.

Someone mentioned that they were concerned that this would affect this guy for the rest of his life. Think how it would have affected his life if the mugger had killed one of the cruise passengers!!!! Marines are trained how to deal with situations just like this.

Ronald Reagan once said, "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference to the world, but the Marines don't have that problem..."

Semper Fi!

Seems people are freaking out and acting like this never happens in America.......if you go to the shady area of New York City, Las Vegas, Atlantic City, Miami, Hollywood or any other city in American that has a large tourist base you will most likely get mugged. People need to pay attention to what and who is around.

To the Marine.......or anyone that steps up to help...kudos!

Seems people are freaking out and acting like this never happens in America.......if you go to the shady area of New York City, Las Vegas, Atlantic City, Miami, Hollywood or any other city in American that has a large tourist base you will most likely get mugged. People need to pay attention to what and who is around.

To the Marine.......or anyone that steps up to help...kudos!

I don't think people are freaking out or acting like this never happens anywhere. We all know it happens every day ...everywhere.

Especially people like CCers who have been to many of these islands which as beautiful as they are, are most often terribly impoverished, and yes do contain some shady characters who will do these things to tourists. We have all heard the stories and the warnings and seen the news accounts.

What gives this story so much attention is that this time, the culprits were foiled by a 70 year old man. You hear about so many seniors being victimized these days , it breaks your heart .

This time the tables were turned and as I said in a previous post, the good guys won.

To that heroic gentleman , God bless you sir. I wish I could have been onboard to shake your hand and buy you a drink :)

Seems people are freaking out and acting like this never happens in America....... !

This kind of stuff doesn't happen in Costa Rica, especially in the tourist areas, Imagine how the people of Costa Rica feel, they know this isn't the way they operate there, as they are a very peaceful country, now the Legend Cruise is cancelled, other cruiselines will follow.

Mazatlan is one of the most dangerous mexican ports in Mexico, but they know not to mess with the Tourist. Word from the mexicans that live in Mazatlan and people that have relatives there, they say, "Do not drive through Mazatlan at night". :confused:

Fred

Archived