Muggers fought off on Shore Excursion in Costa Rica (Liberty cruise..)

sgriff17

Wow, Thank goodness none of the seniors were hurt. I also wonder if this was a private tour or one with Carnival. Wonder if the senior might be a CC member. Would love to have a review of that cruise!

It was a private tour..also Carnival waited for them. So if you fight off and kill a mugger Carnival will hold the ship;)

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/23/america/LA-GEN-Costa-Rica-US-Tourist-Mugging.php

In a press statement, Miami, Florida-based Carnival Cruise Lines said the Wednesday incident occurred during an outing at a Limon beach which a group of a dozen passengers had arranged on their own.

"According to witnesses, while sightseeing at a local beach, the group of guests were approached by three assailants, one of whom was armed," the statement said.

"The victims struggled with the armed perpetrator, and were able to disarm him. During this process, the gunman's two accomplices fled the scene. In the course of disarming and restraining the assailant, he died from apparent asphyxiation."

The cruise line said the guests were questioned by local law enforcement and then returned to the ship, whose departure from Limon was slightly delayed to await their return.

"All of the guests involved, who had booked the cruise together as a group, have opted to continue with their vacation plans. Carnival is providing full support and assistance to the guests," according to the statement.

You know you're not in Kansas anymore when you can kill one of the locals - report it to the police - and still make it back to the ship in time for cocktails and dinner! :eek: :D :eek:

Wow, in this day and age. A country with their act together.

Quite a few of us long for the good old days where justice is metted out immediately, the cowboy dusts off his hat, and rides off into the sunset. (of course, the ships only had sails in those days.)

Costa Rica deserves a golbal commendation for implementing common sense in their police department.

It was a private tour..also Carnival waited for them. So if you fight off and kill a mugger Carnival will hold the ship;)

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/23/america/LA-GEN-Costa-Rica-US-Tourist-Mugging.php

The article also stated:

"The ship, The Carnival Liberty, continued on its scheduled itinerary, with a port call scheduled in Colon, Panama."

Wonder what excursion they have planned for Panama. Maybe they can get the Canal back.

Costa Rica is safe!

I have visited Costa Rica many times, never on a cruise. I have travelled the entire country by vehicle. The Caribbean coast of CR, though the most rustic and poor area of CR, it is still a very safe place. I believe that this is safer then most Caribbean ports. I would not hesitate to travel to CR and the only reason that this is newsworthy is because it is CR. This stuff happens all the time in other Caribbean ports but rarely in CR.

Costa Rica is safe!

I have visited Costa Rica many times, never on a cruise. I have travelled the entire country by vehicle. The Caribbean coast of CR, though the most rustic and poor area of CR, it is still a very safe place. I believe that this is safer then most Caribbean ports. I would not hesitate to travel to CR and the only reason that this is newsworthy is because it is CR. This stuff happens all the time in other Caribbean ports but rarely in CR.

Well what makes this newsworthy is a 70+ man killing a 20 y/o thug. Im sure if the group is willing they will be on all the Morning shows and do multiple interviews on the cable news networks.

The article also stated:

Wonder what excursion they have planned for Panama. Maybe they can get the Canal back.

Too funny! But hopefully other thugs will think twice now about preying on senior American tourists! Gotta love that "Let's Roll" attitude!

Holy Cow! I can't imagine how terrified the group must have been. However, to have a man in his 70's fend them off was awesome. Too bad someone had to lose their life, but better the mugger than the tourist. I know we're easy targets but those that prey on seniors are cowards.
I agree, they are cowards.

I see you are also booked on the repo, jump over and join us. The link is at the bottom of my signature.

Don't you just love that word...."alleged" mugger.

Sometimes you wonder who the bigger cowards are...the thugs or the media.

Just one time I would love to see a newspaper really tell it like it is:

"this afternoon, some snot nosed, brainless, arrogant weasel tried to prey on what he thought were some helpless elderly people and got his worthless, cowardly neck snapped!!"

I can't imagine what that elderly gentleman is going through right now! I am sure he is not having drinks and joking about it! Taking someones life is not easy even though it was justified!

That is probaby the worst part of all. Because this elderly man is a man of honor and character, not only is his cruise ruined but this will always be with him.

Since he is retired military (where death is still horrible, but necessary for survival) I hope he can put this incident in the same catagory as being at war.

A group of U.S. tourists, including a former Marine, killed a Costa Rican mugger by breaking his neck after he pulled a gun on them in a Caribbean port, a local police official said on Thursday.

Costa Rica is suppose to be one of the Safest spots in South America, there are tons of Americans that live in San Jose and San Ramon. Many more americans moving there every year. I even took a look at some of the homes there in San Ramon since I know a few Nurses moving there.

Fred

I'm not inclined to shed any tears for the dead mugger. The mugger chose to go make trouble and found that he had more trouble than he could handle. Gosh-a-Rooney, isn't that too darn bad?

Better luck in your next incarnation, young fella. I hope you'll enjoy life as a guppy.

I'm glad that the cruise ship passengers defended themselves, and that the authorities showed the wisdom to let them go. I might favor a lawful, orderly society, but I firmly believe that citizens ought to ahve the right to defend themselves from violent harm.

I can't imagine what that elderly gentleman is going through right now! I am sure he is not having drinks and joking about it! Taking someones life is not easy even though it was justified!

You forget, he is a Marine. Now pass the coffee.

My husband and I were on the Liberty the January 20 and Costa Rica was the port we liked the least. It was dirty and very poor. We did not feel safe on the ship-sponsored excursion we were on. I think this man and the other's who were traveling with him are hero's for keeping their cool and defending themselves. That just goes to show you that 70 years is not old anymore...

My husband and I were on the Liberty the January 20 and Costa Rica was the port we liked the least. It was dirty and very poor. We did not feel safe on the ship-sponsored excursion we were on. I think this man and the other's who were traveling with him are hero's for keeping their cool and defending themselves. That just goes to show you that 70 years is not old anymore...

It is such a shame when "humans" ruin a port that is so naturally beautiful. I think about Jamaica and Belize. Like Costa Rica, so much natural beauty .....

I can't believe that people who have posted on this thread feel bad for the "muggers/thieves" with guns and knives.

I can't believe it....:eek:

These would be killers of the elderly got exactly what they deserved.

The great thing about it is the one who died trying to prey on the elderly...will be in hell sooner than the others...:) I hope they join him soon....

How would you feel if your parents or grandparents were on that bus...????/:confused:

While I agree that these passengers did what I think most people would do in this situation and I am glad they are safe, let's try to remember that a mother lost her son that day, maybe a sister lost her brother and possibly even a baby lost its Daddy. I know its hard to have compassion for people like this man but try to think a little deeper.

Archived