Muggers fought off on Shore Excursion in Costa Rica (Liberty cruise..)

sgriff17

That is understandable if there is any doubt at all. However, this is not the case. The thug has been charged, tried, convicted and executed. There is nothing "alleged" any long. If the thug was still "alleged", that Marine would not be back on his cruise ship headed home. As stated earlier, thank goodness this happened in Costa Rica. If this had happened here in the good ole USA, the poor Marine would be facing a civil suit from the thugs family for wrongful death.

BTW< Tucker on MSNBC just announced the Marine's name. I did not think that was necessary....but then...you already know what I think about the media.

No, he was not charged, tried, convicted, only executed. But if I had been in his shoes, I would have done the same thing and felt no guilt whatsoever.

What puzzles me is everyone's insistence that if this had happened in the U.S., this elderly man would be charged and jailed. Maybe this is just Texas, but we have laws which allow law abiding citizens to protect their lives and property with lethal force. This guy would be no-billed for sure! As to civil suits, I doubt any Texas jury would find for the plaintiff vs. an elderly marine protecting his life and the lives of other passengers. Just MHO.

Maybe this is just Texas, but we have laws which allow law abiding citizens to protect their lives and property with lethal force. This guy would be no-billed for sure! As to civil suits, I doubt any Texas jury would find for the plaintiff vs. an elderly marine protecting his life and the lives of other passengers. Just MHO.

Thank you! That's what I kept thinking every time I read another post saying he'd go to jail in the states. Not my state!

I am trying to be as nice as I can here......

You people are obviously such angry people that you can't even see through that anger to understand the real point of what I was trying to say.

!

It seems by your tone, the only person getting angry here.....is you...

While I agree that these passengers did what I think most people would do in this situation and I am glad they are safe, let's try to remember that a mother lost her son that day, maybe a sister lost her brother and possibly even a baby lost its Daddy. I know its hard to have compassion for people like this man but try to think a little deeper.

I don’t believe that “most passengers”, particularly the elderly, would have done what these cruisers did, that’s why it’s such an extraordinary story. And if a mother lost her son, a sister lost her brother and a baby lost its daddy, most readers agree that it was not that great a loss to society, as a whole. He was a thug, preyed on the vulnerable, depended on their terror to benefit himself, and was a repeat offender.

What you’re seeing in this thread isn’t “anger”, it’s cheers for the underdogs, the victims, and probably sighs of relief that this wasn’t a story of fellow cruisers who were brutalized in port. They got a handle on the situation and came out the victors. They didn’t allow a group of lawless predators take advantage of them and to that I say, with a smile of happiness for these travelers, way to go, good for you, and a great big “OOH-RAH” to the Marine! :D :D :D

Ms B

Having read all four pages in this thread up to now, I can't help but add:

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

This article: http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=289902007

you wern't supposed to copy and paste that part. ROFLMAO

I think you people that have talked about having the bus driver's name released and essentially running him out of business should be ashamed of yourselves.

The bus driver was probably involved and planned it??? Give me a break!!! Theives don't just jump out "out of no where?!" Yah Right! Try telling that to people that get "jumped" all the time, most times, they NEVER saw the person coming.

Have a little faith that not everything is premeditated and not EVERYONE is involved.

These islands can be dangerous places, dangerous and "desperate" people live there. They do jump out of "no where" and it's not tough to cause hysteria and take over a bus. Luckily, the tourists were able to take action and help themselves.

Just because you pay all this money to go to a beautiful place, does not guarantee safety... all it guarentees is a beautiful place to go. Maybe that should be remembered.

Are you kidding me?!?

I'm completely floored!:mad:

The bus driver was probably involved and planned it??? Give me a break!!!

Rumor has it that the Bus Driver was involved in this incident and that at this moment a Group of AARP Elders from the Expeditionary 3rd Battalion Marine/Green Beret Force from South Florida is manning up and heading that way now. :confused:

I

The bus driver was probably involved and planned it??? Give me a break!!! Theives don't just jump out "out of no where?!" Yah Right! Try telling that to people that get "jumped" all the time, most times, they NEVER saw the person coming.

Have a little faith that not everything is premeditated and not EVERYONE is involved.

These islands can be dangerous places,

I agree...the bus driver has probably been mugged once or twice for the money he gets in tips.......

By the way...Costa Rica is not an island....;)

Island/land... it's all the same anyway right? ::grin:: Thanks for the correction ;)

I agree...the bus driver has probably been mugged once or twice for the money he gets in tips.......

By the way...Costa Rica is not an island....;)

Was this a joke? :confused: If so, I don't really get it? I realize that the rumor is the bus driver may have been involved... but rumor's are called rumors for a reason... and I think it's terrible that people feelthis case is closed.

Rumor has it that the Bus Driver was involved in this incident and that at this moment a Group of AARP Elders from the Expeditionary 3rd Battalion Marine/Green Beret Force from South Florida is manning up and heading that way now. :confused:

I think you people that have talked about having the bus driver's name released and essentially running him out of business should be ashamed of yourselves.

These islands can be dangerous places, dangerous and "desperate" people live there. They do jump out of "no where" and it's not tough to cause hysteria and take over a bus. Luckily, the tourists were able to take action and help themselves.

Just because you pay all this money to go to a beautiful place, does not guarantee safety... all it guarentees is a beautiful place to go. Maybe that should be remembered.

Are you kidding me?!?

Why should they not query whether or not the bus driver cld have been involved? It is merely expressing an opinion/comment..I mean - does seem odd the driver, who shld know the area, wld even allow the pax to get off in a 'rough' neighborhood and risk being robbed or killed himself, doesn't it?

We should have a little 'faith' - WHY? U have it if u want - I wld rather be a bit paranoid & skeptical.. it's likely a lot safer !!

..........they will be on all the Morning shows and do multiple interviews on the cable news networks.

A friend of mine, an officer on the Liberty told me in an email that the ship is being bombarded with phone calls from the media asking to speak to the passengers. This will be a great story!

My parents are on the Liberty right now. As a wife of a retired USMC officer (26 years) and having lived on four USMC bases over ten years, don't mess with marines! They are highly trained, fast and very proud.

I can't wait to speak with my parents to see what happened. The only thing I am dreading is picking them up at the port. I suspect there will cameras and media all over the place.

Are you kidding me?!?

I don't think there is anything wrong with at least questioning the bus driver . From what i have heard this was not a Carnival sponsored tour, and the area they wree in at the time of the attack was a bad area , not normally visited by tourists.

After a crime , it is completely normal for police to question anyone remotely involved or anywhere near the scene. If in fact this was a random act on the parts of the muggers and the driver was in no way connected, fine.

If it turns out that the driver was in cahoots with them, and an investigation uncovers that this has happened before with these same people, than the appropriate actions should be taken.

But at least form an investigation and ask questions.

If someone was attacked or murdered in your apartment bldg or workplace, you can bet police would at least ask you a few questions. Wher wer you at the time? How well did you know the victim? Did they have any problems with anyone that you know about? that type of thing. It doesn't mean that they think you did it, they just need to rule people out .

While I agree that these passengers did what I think most people would do in this situation and I am glad they are safe, let's try to remember that a mother lost her son that day, maybe a sister lost her brother and possibly even a baby lost its Daddy. I know its hard to have compassion for people like this man but try to think a little deeper.

I'm gagging over here....:rolleyes: You've obviously never been mugged...

Here is another link to the story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17284416/

LL

Sure, no one likes to see someone die, but also think of what may have happened had they not restrained the robber armed with a gun. More than one cruiser could have died, been tortured, etc.

The same story that was in the Miami Hearld yesterday? That story reported that the people had taken an expedition not on the "safe" list by the cruise line.

As a future marine wife, and VA employee, I say OOH RAH!!!

My parents are on the Liberty right now. As a wife of a retired USMC officer (26 years) and having lived on four USMC bases over ten years, don't mess with marines! They are highly trained, fast and very proud.

I can't wait to speak with my parents to see what happened. The only thing I am dreading is picking them up at the port. I suspect there will cameras and media all over the place.

I'm gagging over here....:rolleyes: You've obviously never been mugged...

Here is another link to the story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17284416/

LL

I've been mugged, and it's a terrifying thing. If it had come to his life or mine, I'd do whatever was necessary to protect my life or at least die trying. However, I would take no satisfaction from killing my attacker no matter how justified I felt. I think this poster is just reacting to the relish people seem to be taking at the thought of this young thug's death. I would be willing to bet that the marine was not in the bar that night happily clinking glasses with others over his victory as some in this thread and others have suggested. Even though he did what he had to do, I bet this event was traumatic and sobering. Not everyone can take a life and skip happily away from the experience.

ABC news released the name of the bus driver this morning. I kind of feel for that guy if he wasn't involved - this will probably ruin his career. Now if he was involved that's a whole other matter. But we don't know the whole story at this point.

Anyone on any of the scheduled Costa Rica cruises in the near future received notification of an itinerary change yet?

Knowing the U.S. and the Dept of Homeland Secuirty he will probably be welcomed home with a pair of Hand Cuffs :confused: I hope not.

That's a truly disgusting thought, but i can honestly say that I wouldn't be surprised!

I'm just glad that they are all OK and to heck with the thug.

Archived