How do we get to LUCCA from LIVORNO

grabbit97

To get from Livorno to Lucca you need to take the shuttle to downtown then the no1 bus to the station. Catch the train to Pisa then change to the Lucca train. It sounds more complicated than it really is, and it's well worth the effort as Lucca is so picturesque

We did exactly that last July. We took a taxi to the train station. A train to Pisa and then a connecting train to Lucca. Unfortunately we were there on a Sunday and not much going on until later in the day, so we just walked around, but it got a little boring for my teenagers. Lucca is a beautiful town and would have been more enjoyable for us if stores and restaurants had been open. The train to and from Lucca via Pisa is easy to do. Just print out the schedule for yourself before you leave from trenitalia website. On the way back my family and I stopped in Pisa for lunch and a look around and then headed back to Livorno and a taxi back to the port. A very enjoyable easy day.

To get from Livorno to Lucca you need to take the shuttle to downtown then the no1 bus to the station. Catch the train to Pisa then change to the Lucca train. It sounds more complicated than it really is, and it's well worth the effort as Lucca is so picturesque

Is there a free or inexpensive shuttle to the Livorno train station?

We were on Royal Caribbean and the shuttle bus went only to downtown ($5 each way) The shuttle bus didn't start until after the tours had left and we were keen to get on our way, so we shared a taxi to the station. I think it was about 20 euros. On the way back we caught the no 1 bus to downtown then the ship shuttle bus back to the port

Be sure to check the days of the week that train goes to Lucca. We tried to do this and it didn't run on the day we were there, but I can't remember the day of the week: maybe Monday.

Here's an estimate from my notes on how long it takes to do this:

Pisa / Lucca (allow total 1 ½ hour minimum for one way trip ship / Lucca or vice versa). See schedules:

•Livorno Centrale train to Pisa Centrale is 15 minutes;

•Pisa Centrale to Pisa San Rossore is about 5 minutes;

•Pisa San Rossore to Lucca is 20 minutes;

•Lucca to Pisa Centrale – 22 minutes, then Pisa Centrale to Livorno Centrale – 15 minutes

•Bus back to ship’s port bus is approx. 1 mile

•Port bus back to ship is less than 3 miles

How much did all this cost? to go from the bus to the taxi to the train to the next train ONE WAY... x 2 = ??

Thanks

Natalie

Be sure to check the days of the week that train goes to Lucca. We tried to do this and it didn't run on the day we were there, but I can't remember the day of the week: maybe Monday.

Pisa / Lucca (allow total 1 ½ hour minimum for one way trip ship / Lucca or vice versa). See schedules:

•Lucca to Pisa Centrale – 22 minutes, then Pisa Centrale to Livorno Centrale – 15 minutes

Peggy (Pcur) -

My husband and I would like to take a trip to the Accademia Museum (for the David statue, etc.) I would reserve my tkts. beforehand. We don't want a long day on a tour bus or with a big group. Can we do this on our own without spending a small fortune? We were trying to do this and be back on the ship by mid-afternoon at the latest. Thanks for any help you can give us.

You're going to get a variety of answers on your question, and some will say "take the train, see the statue of David, take the train back". However, I'm just more conservative when it comes to the cities like Rome and Florence that are so far away from the port.

We took the tour from the ship that gave us time on our own in Florence. The tour stops right next to the Academie, so if you have your tickets, then you can walk right over to it. It was literally around the corner.

The tickets to the museum are around 14 Euros last time I checked.

Taking the train will be cheaper than the ship's tour, but I would pay the extra for Florence and Rome, and go on your own in Villefranche and Barcelona where you are docked right in the city.

Just MO.

• 4 years later...

Not sure why anyone would take the shuttle downtown. It means you have to pay for the shuttle (usually about $7 each way), wait for the shuttle to run (this can take a long time), then when you get downtown you have to wait for the local bus and pay for that bus. Finally, you reach the station having spend nearly $10 a person. It is a bit easier (and much faster) to get a taxi from pier to the station. The taxis that are willing to make the short run usually charge about 20 - 25 Euros but the taxi can take 4 (more if its a van) which actually makes it cheaper then the shuttle/bus (if you share a taxi with another couple). And the taxi will have you at the train station while others are still waiting at the port for a shuttle bus to go. The last time we were in Livorno on a ship they did not even start running the shuttle until 9 am even though the ship arrived at 7. We were on the train by 8!

By the way, changing trains in Pisa can be a little confusing because the Lucca train leaves from an auxillary platform which is way down the main platform (turn to your right when you exit the station door to the main platform.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 4 months later...
Not sure why anyone would take the shuttle downtown. It means you have to pay for the shuttle (usually about $7 each way), wait for the shuttle to run (this can take a long time), then when you get downtown you have to wait for the local bus and pay for that bus. Finally, you reach the station having spend nearly $10 a person. It is a bit easier (and much faster) to get a taxi from pier to the station. The taxis that are willing to make the short run usually charge about 20 - 25 Euros but the taxi can take 4 (more if its a van) which actually makes it cheaper then the shuttle/bus (if you share a taxi with another couple). And the taxi will have you at the train station while others are still waiting at the port for a shuttle bus to go. The last time we were in Livorno on a ship they did not even start running the shuttle until 9 am even though the ship arrived at 7. We were on the train by 8!

By the way, changing trains in Pisa can be a little confusing because the Lucca train leaves from an auxillary platform which is way down the main platform (turn to your right when you exit the station door to the main platform.

Hank

Hank: I'd like to get more advice from you. My husband and I are leaving Sept 17, 2011 for the 21 day Mediterranean Treasures aboard the Ryndam. We cruise a lot, always with HAL. Since we have traveled a bit; I'd like to strike out at some ports to see new places. For instance, this time at the Livorno port (Oct 7), we'd like to take the train to Lucca. You suggest that we cut out the shuttle-bus deal and take a taxi from the dock to the train station? Linda

Hank: I'd like to get more advice from you. My husband and I are leaving Sept 17, 2011 for the 21 day Mediterranean Treasures aboard the Ryndam. We cruise a lot, always with HAL. Since we have traveled a bit; I'd like to strike out at some ports to see new places. For instance, this time at the Livorno port (Oct 7), we'd like to take the train to Lucca. You suggest that we cut out the shuttle-bus deal and take a taxi from the dock to the train station? Linda

We also like HA (especially the Prinsendam). Since you are experienced travelers I will give you advice for well seasoned travelers. Walk over to the taxi queue and just tell them you want to go to the train station. Also try to find another couple that is also gong to the station (we usually find other folks near the taxi queue) since the fare (20 - 25 Euros) is per taxi (not per passenger). Make sure you do agree on the fare before you leave in a taxi. Even in the worst-case scenario where you would not be able to get any taxi to take you to the station, you have not lost any of your other option which is the shuttle. Now you might wonder why the "shuttle" does not also go to the train station?? We have been told this is by design since the cruise line does not want to make it easy for you (they prefer that you buy their overpriced excursions) and the City of Livorno wants to shuttle you into the heart of Livorno (so you will stay and spend money in their city) rather then help you escape their "paradise." Some might even call it a "conspiracy." After doing our own thing in Europe for over thirty years we have grown to accept the cruise line "conspiricy" which is to do everything possible to sell overpriced excursions (I call them cattle drives) and make it more difficult for independent travelers. Sorry to be so darn cynicle :)

Hank

We did this a few years ago when we sailed on the Millenium. I think we walked to the Livorno train station from the ship and changed trains in Pisa. Although we didn't go to Lucca, we went to Vernazza and the Cinque Terre.

We had been to Lucca previously, and it is charming. One fun thing we did was rented biked and rode around on the town walls.

We did this a few years ago when we sailed on the Millenium. I think we walked to the Livorno train station from the ship and changed trains in Pisa. Although we didn't go to Lucca, we went to Vernazza and the Cinque Terre.

We had been to Lucca previously, and it is charming. One fun thing we did was rented biked and rode around on the town walls.

Actually, that would be a pretty long walk (several miles) but the problem is that they will not generally allow you to walk through the port. In theory there is supposed to be an internal port bus that you can take to the port entrance (there is a small terminal building there they call the "shopping center" but that bus seems to usually be among the missing). We once tried to walk from our ship to the port entrance (we had reserved a rental car from an agency who had an office in the building by the entrance) are were stopped by the port security and police. They had actually put up Police Line yellow tape around the ship area and established a secure zone beyond which you could not walk. The funny thing about that day was when we did finally return our car we walked from the entrance through the port to the ship (ducked under the tape).

Hank

Yes, I think Hlitner is right, now that I think about it. We took a cab to the train station...but I think we walked back (being in no hurry, and got gelato on the way) which was my inital recollection. Try the Amarena, my favorite flavor. :)

We also like HA (especially the Prinsendam). Since you are experienced travelers I will give you advice for well seasoned travelers. Walk over to the taxi queue and just tell them you want to go to the train station. Also try to find another couple that is also gong to the station (we usually find other folks near the taxi queue) since the fare (20 - 25 Euros) is per taxi (not per passenger). Make sure you do agree on the fare before you leave in a taxi. Even in the worst-case scenario where you would not be able to get any taxi to take you to the station, you have not lost any of your other option which is the shuttle. Now you might wonder why the "shuttle" does not also go to the train station?? We have been told this is by design since the cruise line does not want to make it easy for you (they prefer that you buy their overpriced excursions) and the City of Livorno wants to shuttle you into the heart of Livorno (so you will stay and spend money in their city) rather then help you escape their "paradise." Some might even call it a "conspiracy." After doing our own thing in Europe for over thirty years we have grown to accept the cruise line "conspiricy" which is to do everything possible to sell overpriced excursions (I call them cattle drives) and make it more difficult for independent travelers. Sorry to be so darn cynicle :)

Hank

Hank, you're not cynical...just realistic from your experiences. I feel the same way.

Last time we were in Livorno, my husband called it a "sea day" and had no intention of leaving the ship. I wanted to go to Florence, so I took a cab from the dock (and they didn't appreciate me asking for a cab to the train station...no one wanted to take me). The train to Florence didn't leave for an hour, so I had to wait and there's not much to do at the Livorno train station except have a coffee. When I got to Florence, I walked around, had lunch, and found an internet cafe to check my email for less cost than on the ship. A fellow passenger recognized me in the internet cafe and asked if I came to Florence by train. I said yes. She asked if I knew there was to be a train strike this afternoon. I checked trenitalia.com and sure enough, it was supposed to start at 3:00 p.m. or so and it was already almost 2:00 p.m. Fellow passenger said if I couldn't make it on the train, to meet them at the Duomo at 3 p.m. and they would fit me into their taxi. Well, I did make it to the train in time and back to Livorno. When I got into the taxi at the station and showed the man my little map of where we were docked, he started yelling, jumped out of the cab, jumping up and down, and generally trying to get me out of his cab. Just then, a uniformed man came by and asked what the problem was and I (still sitting in the cab) showed him my map. He had a few words with the driver, who continued his rant and then the uniformed man asked the driver in the next cab it he would take me. He reluctantly agreed to do so. I tipped him big when I got to the ship because I was grateful and wanted the other driver to know that he missed out on a big tip. Anyway, what one Italian on board told me was once you're in a cab, do not get out even if they rant and rave. It's their game. I guess I was just lucky that time.

I am a bit surprised you got the "taxi rant" when trying to get from the Livorno Stazione to the port. In late afternoon the taxis that pick-up fares at the station would normally expect to have short local fares (if not a cruise passenger then a local just going home). Sounds like you just got a taxi driver with an attitude :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Liverno twice and never, never, would a taxi take us to the train station. The last time there were 5 of us off the ship at 6:30 AM, prior to any ship's tour, and not one taxi would break ranks and take us. We had to wait till 7 AM and take the ship's shuttle out of the port (the shuttle doors opened at 7 - more than likely the departure time was 7:30 AM). My message - don't count on the taxi option.

I've been to Liverno twice and never, never, would a taxi take us to the train station. The last time there were 5 of us off the ship at 6:30 AM, prior to any ship's tour, and not one taxi would break ranks and take us. We had to wait till 7 AM and take the ship's shuttle out of the port (the shuttle doors opened at 7 - more than likely the departure time was 7:30 AM). My message - don't count on the taxi option.

Interesting. We have been to Livorno more then a dozen times and have always been able to get a taxi. And on our last two stops at this port (Princess and Holland America) in the past 15 months the shuttle bus (which does not go anywhere near the train station) did not start until 8:30. We actually spoke to a Princess rep about those shuttle buses and wanted to know why they started so late and did not make a stop at the train station. We were told that the shuttle is subsidized by the local government and is intended to get you into town to shop...not help you get out of Livorno. And they did not leave earlier because nothing much is open in Livorno until after 9 am!

So the mystery is how does one get a taxi to do that short haul. We think the answer is to simply be firm and assertive with the taxi drivers. It is not uncommon that when you go over to the drivers and ask for a ride to the station they will all ignore you or try to convince you to hire them for the full day (for hundreds of Euros). At this point you have to be friendly, smile, and also make it clear you just want to go the station. If they all refuse we have actually asked them to call a friend (which can get some laughs). The pont is that the shuttle bus is always a "Plan B" option.

Hank

Hank

Just to put something else out there:

You can also do a rental car to go to Lucca. It's a good highway from Pisa to Lucca. This is one of the few times I'd say get the Rick Steves book on Tuscany, since he does mention where the inexpensive parking lots are just outside of the walls of Old Lucca.