Making a payment

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I went online to make a $100.00 payment towards my cruise (10/13/07). My balance was $876.00. When I entered my $100.00 payment I got a message that said I HAD to make a payment equal to my deposit amount which was $250.00. What's up with that?

I have made payments before, sometimes $100.00 at a time. Is this a new policy? What happens when the balance is below $250.00???

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks much!

Mommomporkchop

(Kathy)

I really don't think that's the answer the OP wanted.

I've never booked directly with RCI but I've always made payments of $100 to my TA. If this is a new policy I think it stinks. When I have extra money I call my TA and put it toward my balance.

If they do eliminate the less than $250 payment, then I would just buy a $100 GC. Then when the time comes, I would just use them to pay off the balance.

It seems to be a sporadic glitch that randomly fixes itself.

When I encountered it, I tried about 4 times to make a $50 payment before giving up. Next day I checked my reservation and one $50 payment had been applied (which looked like human intervention to me).

Very strange. I book all my cruises direct with rccl online. I post what I want when I want, be it 50.00 or 100 or 200 dollars and it always posts. my final payment is coming due in one week so I am adding funds as often as i can to pay it off in time. never had a problem here.

When I encountered it, I tried about 4 times to make a $50 payment before giving up. Next day I checked my reservation and one $50 payment had been applied (which looked like human intervention to me).

Agree. Very sporadic - it's happened to me twice in the last 3 months. Each time I'd try 2 or 3 times with no luck; come back later and try again and bingo! Haven't been double/triple charged yet.

As somebody else said, you always have the option of calling in your payment.

To the OP, the same thing happened to me yesterday. My roomie on our upcoming cruise asked me to apply $42 to her balance. When I went into RCCL to make the payment, it said it would not accept it because the payment had to be at least equal to the deposit amount ($100). However, when I checked my credit card last night, the $42 appeared. So I then checked RCCL, and the balance had been reduced by $42.

Apparently RCCL is accepting these payments despite the error message, so be sure not to keep trying because you may be repeatedly charged.

Why don't you just call RCI on the phone, and read them your card #??? It's just as easy!

I guess I could get to 5000 points by stating the obvious. :p

This has been a problem for a couple of weeks now. A few of us have sent messages to Customer Service or called them with no results. Here is the thread if you want to follow it or join in.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=510404

It hasn't been random for me, It fails everytime. EVen though it mentions the minimum amount, one person in the thread I mentioned tried to make a $600 payment and was told it can't be less than the $500 deposit.

To the OP, the same thing happened to me yesterday. My roomie on our upcoming cruise asked me to apply $42 to her balance. When I went into RCCL to make the payment, it said it would not accept it because the payment had to be at least equal to the deposit amount ($100). However, when I checked my credit card last night, the $42 appeared. So I then checked RCCL, and the balance had been reduced by $42.

Apparently RCCL is accepting these payments despite the error message, so be sure not to keep trying because you may be repeatedly charged.

I just tried it again, it rejected my payment for the same reason, and my balance remained the same.

60 days before sailing date

Actually, it depends on the length and time of the cruise. Shorter cruises are 60 days, 7 dayers are 70 days and holiday cruises are I believe 90 days. Make sure you note the payment due date because RCI doesn't always send a reminder.

Gregg

Hello, I made a $100 payement this AM, I recieved the same message, then I refreshed the screen(clicked on my cruises and chose one I payed on) to check if it had gone through although I had the error....AND IT DID.....just check before you try to pay again...or call.

erin

Hello, I made a $100 payement this AM, I recieved the same message, then I refreshed the screen(clicked on my cruises and chose one I payed on) to check if it had gone through although I had the error....AND IT DID.....just check before you try to pay again...or call.

erin

ITs really screwed then, mine doesn't show a change in balance or any charge on my card.

Actually, it depends on the length and time of the cruise. Shorter cruises are 60 days, 7 dayers are 70 days and holiday cruises are I believe 90 days. Make sure you note the payment due date because RCI doesn't always send a reminder.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg.. I stand corrected as I know that you are right.. we usually do the 4 ot 5 nighters and I forgot about the other sailings.

Early on in this thread I posted that I was able to make a payment in any amount with no problem.. ie) 50.00 or 100.00 etc.

I tried today to post 150.00 as final payment is due Tuesday. I GOT THE SAME AS YOU ALL ARE REPORTING... Ugggg Payment has to be as much as or higher than the deposit?

is this because it is so close to sail date? I have never had that issue before. I have been planning all along to go to the bank Monday to transfer the funds to make final payment Monday, but I cannot even put a partial towards the 869.00 left to pay... Oh well, not a big deal I suppose as I am going to the bank in the morning.

Thanks Gregg.. I stand corrected as I know that you are right.. we usually do the 4 ot 5 nighters and I forgot about the other sailings.

Early on in this thread I posted that I was able to make a payment in any amount with no problem.. ie) 50.00 or 100.00 etc.

I tried today to post 150.00 as final payment is due Tuesday. I GOT THE SAME AS YOU ALL ARE REPORTING... Ugggg Payment has to be as much as or higher than the deposit?

is this because it is so close to sail date? I have never had that issue before. I have been planning all along to go to the bank Monday to transfer the funds to make final payment Monday, but I cannot even put a partial towards the 869.00 left to pay... Oh well, not a big deal I suppose as I am going to the bank in the morning.

Be sure to check. Even though you got the error message, it may have gone through. That's what has happened to several of us.

I just ran accross this thread and I'm surprised so many make payments. My preference is to hold on to my money as long as I can before I have to give it up. I won't ask why as I'm sure there are reasons (and I could probably guess most of them). I'm sure they make sense to whoever writes them.

I had the same problem yesterday. I tried making payment online and it says I need to make a payment equals to my deposit. I tried making $250. but it didn't take it. I tried it again said the same thing and after that just gave up. But when I check my balance it posted $500... so it was posted TWICE. :mad:

Can I call RCCL and have them cancel the other one?

Archived