Iceland - Reykjavik excursion question

CHACruiser

What might be the preferred excursion ... Taste of Iceland? or the Golden Circle? I may never make it back to Iceland.... and they both sound appealing :confused: Info from experienced travelers is the best information. Thank you!

The "taste of Iceland" with the lobster lunch was reported to be boring. Our friends said that they visited 2 seaside villages which were nice but dull, and the lobster was tiny icelandic lobster not the Maine variety and they ran out before everyone was served. The beer was extremely exspensive too. For the price they paid, $189 pp, they were not thrilled.

We were on the Golden Circle which was very interesting. The Gudafoss waterfall is spectacular. The tour narration was very good, but the lunch, well, if you like boiled salmon and boiled potatos, which BTW, was repeated on tours in Oban Scotland and in Ireland...I started referring to it as the salmon conspiracy, and ordinarily I love Salmon. The Icelandic char that HAL had on board for the lunchtime grill was excellent; it was either on a sea day before or after Reykjavik.

Many people took the Blue lagoon swim, most loved this tour but were not told to and did not bring shampoo: the minerals in the water clung to hair like cement. Heads Up, the showers and changing rooms are CO-ED. The public johns we visited were spotless but also CO-ED.

We've been to Iceland 3 times on HAL cruises, it's lovely but very, very expensive. Lunch for 2, sandwhich, burger, 1 coffee and 1 beer were $50 US dollars. We ate in town because the weather was lousy and our whale watching trip was canceled. I know I sound critical, but it's just me being crabby, we both really like Iceland.

I have pix on webshots, if anyone is interested I'll post a link.

GN

We've been to Reykjavik many times, and, without hesitation, I'd also recommend taking "The Golden Circle" tour if you think a visit to Reykjavik is going to be a "once in a lifetime" experience. Take the tour even if it means missing seeing Reykjavik itself if your stop is a "short port". You haven't seen Iceland if you haven't been out on the land - it's spectacular.

Many people took the Blue lagoon swim, most loved this tour but were not told to and did not bring shampoo: the minerals in the water clung to hair like cement. Heads Up, the showers and changing rooms are CO-ED. The public johns we visited were spotless but also CO-ED.

They weren't co-ed when I took this tour in '03, but they are gang showers/changing rooms. (You shower in the nude before and after the Lagoon swim.) And very humid. I needed help getting dressed! :eek:

Besides shampoo bring bath powder. You'll need it if you do this tour.

The "taste of Iceland" with the lobster lunch was reported to be boring. Our friends said that they visited 2 seaside villages which were nice but dull, and the lobster was tiny icelandic lobster not the Maine variety and they ran out before everyone was served. The beer was extremely exspensive too. For the price they paid, $189 pp, they were not thrilled.

We were on the Golden Circle which was very interesting. The Gudafoss waterfall is spectacular. The tour narration was very good, but the lunch, well, if you like boiled salmon and boiled potatos, which BTW, was repeated on tours in Oban Scotland and in Ireland...I started referring to it as the salmon conspiracy, and ordinarily I love Salmon. The Icelandic char that HAL had on board for the lunchtime grill was excellent; it was either on a sea day before or after Reykjavik.

We've been to Iceland 3 times on HAL cruises, it's lovely but very, very expensive. Lunch for 2, sandwhich, burger, 1 coffee and 1 beer were $50 US dollars. We ate in town because the weather was lousy and our whale watching trip was canceled. I know I sound critical, but it's just me being crabby, we both really like Iceland.

I have pix on webshots, if anyone is interested I'll post a link.

GN

I would love to see your pics from your visit in Rekjiavik.....let me know the link. Thanks!

• 9 years later...

The Golden Circle would be my choice. Interesting, but be very sure to dress for the weather. The two days I was there in 2013 it was rainy, windy, and cold. I was dressed in layers with a windbreaker and was cold. I needed a hat that had a chin strap because my usual winter cap could not stay on my head due to the wind. I was miserable on this tour, but the sights were great.

Don't forget to try some Icelandic chocolate. I wish I had bought more and plan to do so this Summer during the VOV.

They're still offering Taste of Iceland. Anybody in the last 9 years have comments on the lunch?
We didn't take any of HAL's tours, but I can tell you one thing that hasn't changed in 9 years: food is still expensive!

They weren't co-ed when I took this tour in '03, but they are gang showers/changing rooms. (You shower in the nude before and after the Lagoon swim.) And very humid. I needed help getting dressed! :eek:

Besides shampoo bring bath powder. You'll need it if you do this tour.

Does the Golden Circle tour have much walking, hills etc.? What type of buses were used?

Eat some of those famous Iceland hot dogs!

I agree! There is a stall near the harbor that is famous for them.

Also, food in Reykjavik compared to major East coast cities isn't really more expensive because the tax is already included in the menu price and you don't have to tip. For instance, a fish dish in a high-end Reykjavik restaurant is about $40. In Washington DC, menu price may be only $30 but when including 10% tax and 20% tip, it gets to be almost $40 as well.

Does the Golden Circle tour have much walking, hills etc.?

Princess Shore Excursion outline shows 100 steps at one of the stops Gullfoss. Any way to see the falls w/o taking the steps?
We did a private tour which dropped us off at the upper parking lot, where you could see some of the falls, and then we walked down the steps to see much more and were picked up at the lower parking lot. If your bus does the same, you could step out briefly at the top, get back on and ride down, and see the rest by walking maybe 100 meters from the lower parking lot.

Before we went we watched a webcam and usually saw more buses at lower lot, so maybe some don't go to both: http://www.livefromiceland.is/

You will also have to do about 100 meters at Geysir, and a little less at a couple of other stops.

Edited by jtl513

My 2 cents worth is a vote for Golden Circle. This tour is a classic, offered by all the local companies. It offers a wonderful day of sightseeing highlights- and many great photo ops. Wear good walking shoes. We walked behind the waterfall- I think that was part of this tour- and got wet, and surfaces were slippery. You will notice that these attractions would be fenced, or posted with safety signs, or warnings if in the USA- you will be on your own, be alert! We traveled end of June, and wore long quick dry type pants, not jeans, fleece shirts and rain jackets. ( we did arrive at one stop at the same time as the ship's tours- and gawked at the passengers in holiday cruise wear- shorts, tshirts, Hawaiian shirts, sandals, purses, jewelry, hairdos- not that kind of day!) It was misty or rainy almost every hour of our stay. Also, chipped credit cards are used everywhere, even for pay restrooms. (We used zero cash during our week's trip.) Re Blue Lagoon, public access tickets would probably not be fun for cruisers. The crowd is very international- and to my eyes, youthful. Yes, locker rooms and showers are public. We paid lots extra for a concierge, private experience that suited us. A fascinating place- have a great day in Reykjavik!

Hotdogs were from a vendor street stand- the difference is the crispy onions and sauce. I didn't buy anything, but yarns and woolens with the Icelandic patterns are nice- unless you are from FL!

Walking is extensive on tour- and uneven surfaces are typical. I don't recall seating or railings or stairs, like I said, not as tourist friendly as some sites you'll visit. We really didn't see accommodation for those unable to handle the terrain.