Live from the Volendam *** 3 formal nights, not 2!***

Beth Y

We're having a fabulous time on this beautiful ship! Seas are calm as we head for the Panama Canal, arrving very early tomorrow. Had a nice get together for a small group of CC'ers on Thursday. Aruba and Curacao were great. My only complaint so far is that our documents said two formal nights, but there are actually three, so we're skipping tonight's formal dinner in the dining room and will eat in the Lido instead. The food is excellent, entertainment very good, and the crew friendly and efficient. I'll post a full review after the cruise.

Lucky for me I read on these boards prior to leaving that someone else also had 3 formal nights and not 2 as indicated in the trip documents. I took along an extra formal night top and did have to use it; if I had not known, I also would have had dinner in the Lido on that 3rd formal nights on the Volendam.

Konkrete Kid

Is it a faux pas to wear the same thing for a second formal night? I assume that a man's shirt can be laundered on-board, so it would be cleaned and pressed.

I haven't been on a long cruise yet, but I always assumed that if I took one that I'd definitely be wearing the formal gear at least twice for each outfit.

Just curious.

Why not just wear the same thing twice? Nobody really remembers what you wore, or if they do, they don't care! Unless it is stained or very dirty or something, on a limited wardrobe occasion such as a cruise, I think it is perfectly OK to wear the formal clothing you wore for the first formal night on the last formal night. No reason to miss dinner in the dining room!

Mary

Is it a faux pas to wear the same thing for a second formal night?

Of course not. On long cruises I wear the same formals twice and some casual outfits three or four times. I don't own enough outfits to bring a different one for each night---even if I did have the strength to carry them!

I was thinking the same thing. Rather than miss a lovely evening in the dining room, I would wear one of my formal dresses twice.

I understand your disappointment the documents weren't accurate, but unless you really want to go to Lido........why do so?? :confused:

Thanks for posting while aboard Volendam. Hope you have a great cruise......she's a very beautiful ship.

Is it a faux pas to wear the same thing for a second formal night? I assume that a man's shirt can be laundered on-board, so it would be cleaned and pressed.

I haven't been on a long cruise yet, but I always assumed that if I took one that I'd definitely be wearing the formal gear at least twice for each outfit.

Just curious.

Absolutely not! Wear the same thing the 1st formal night, the 2nd formal night, and the 3rd formal night. No one will notice nor do they care! ;)

Assume everyone is going to be in the same situation - they only brought formal togs for 2 evenings & will have to make do. Absolutely go to dinner in the dining room all 3 nights. Wear your 1st night outfit also on night 3. Perhaps you could change your look a bit by wearing your hair differently. Do a little shopping during the cruise for new accessories - a little jewelry never hurt a girl. :)

We're having a fabulous time on this beautiful ship! Seas are calm as we head for the Panama Canal, arrving very early tomorrow. Had a nice get together for a small group of CC'ers on Thursday. Aruba and Curacao were great. My only complaint so far is that our documents said two formal nights, but there are actually three, so we're skipping tonight's formal dinner in the dining room and will eat in the Lido instead. The food is excellent, entertainment very good, and the crew friendly and efficient. I'll post a full review after the cruise.

Beth Y I wonder if you would tell me which nights are the formal nights? We will be getting on the ship this Friday after you get off. How was Half Moon Cay? We loved it last year in May, was it real warm this time of year for swimming? Thanks for letting us all know about the formal night error on the cruise documents! We will bring a third set of formal night attire! Are you going on the ferry all the wau through the canal? Have a wonderful time on your cruise! ! :)

I have always had 3 formal evenings on all my 10-day cruises, not sure why your documents would say 2, maybe it was a typo, who knows.

You certainly could wear one outfit twice while on a cruise, who's to know but you.

auntpam, sorry I didn't get back to you before you left for your cruise. Internet time was pricey on board, and I barely checked e-mails from home. Our documents said 2 Formal, 1 Informal, and 7 Casual, but it was actually 3 Formal, 2 Informal, and 5 Casual:

Day 1 -- Ft. Lauderdale -- Casual

Day 2 -- Half Moon Cay -- Informal

Day 3 -- At Sea -- Formal

Day 4 -- Aruba -- Casual Caribbean

Day 5 -- Curacao -- Casual

Day 6 -- At Sea -- Formal

Day 7 -- Panama Canal -- Casual

Day 8 -- Costa Rica -- Informal (Master Chefs Dinner)

Day 9 -- At Sea -- Formal (Lobster Tails and Baked Alaska)

Day 10 -- At Sea -- Casual

I would have worn one formal outfit twice, but my husband HATES to dress up, and I had promised him only 2 suit and tie nights, so that's why we skipped the second formal night. He didn't even like wearing his jacket (over a golf shirt) on the two informal nights.

I was surprised at what some women considered formal -- many were wearing plain dresses, what you see in church on Sunday. There were of course many in glitzy outfits (I had two sparkly tops, with one long black skirt). Some guys wore tuxes, but not a whole lot.

We LOVED Half Moon Cay -- it was really a perfect beach. The weather was great, the water just a little chilly. The BBQ lunch was very good.

I'm starting to work on a full review of the cruise.

This is the consistently inconsistent HAL we know and love. They announce the end of informal nights begining in May and then some ships spontaneously eliminate them, immediately. Some docs for some 10 day cruises say 2 formal nights and in reality there are 3.

It's no wonder pax are chucking the entire dress code thing and doing their own thing.

I would wear the same outfit over again. One has to limit the clothing you take on the cruise and why take up space with more formal clothes. No one will notice and why would they care. Certainly go to each formal night because that is when they offer fancier food that you are paying for already. You could add a stole or some jewelry that stands out and it will be a new outfit. Enjoy!:)

Just curious.

Absolutely not...no one will notice if you wear the same thing two or three nights...or more! The laundry service onboard does a wonderful job!

It's no wonder pax are chucking the entire dress code thing and doing their own thing.

I'm just gonna wear my Velvet Dinner Jacket & Jeans, Bowtie & Sandals every night so I'll always fit in.

(Formal upstairs, Casual downstairs)

;)

I wouldn't think twice about wearing the same thing two times, and I would never miss a dinner in the dining room because of that.

With everyone busy looking to see if you are wearing jeans, t shirt, tank top or flp flops, no one will notice an outfit that is repeating.:)

Archived