Relief bands for motion sickness

2417rocky

Has anyone ever used or know about the relief bands? I have read their web site, but it is good to find out any info from someone who actually has used it. It sounds almost too good to be true. (I know they cost about $50.00) I have tried everything for motion sickness there is. Thanks, your input would be appreciated.

I would like to know about these other things too!! I suffer very bad from sea-sickness so I take the pills before hand. I can not take any chances on something that may not work!!

What about the patches, do they release medicine into your skin?

My husband suffers from all sorts of motion sickness. Usually he just takes meclizine (Bonine) every night before bed, starting with the night before we sail. On our cruise two years ago, however, it wasn't enough and he had a terrible day and night. So shortly before our cruise last year, I bought him a Relief Band. Wouldn't you know-- he never needed it on that entire cruise! However, a couple of months after that, I had too good of a time one evening... and found myself in misery as a result. After a fair amount of time suffering (ewww), I remembered the Relief Band's existence, and got my husband to put it on me (since I was incapable of doing it myself!). And you know what? Only a few minutes later, I felt SO much better that I was able to go to sleep.

So while I can't really vouch for it as a seasickness remedy, I can certainly vouch for its effectiveness on... errr... similar maladies!

Hi rocky,

I also have read many good things about the ReliefBand on their web site and some reports of the 'cruisers' on this board.....so I purchased two of them from drugstore.com ($60.00 each).

On our cruise to Hawaii last Dec. from Ensenada both wife and I got seasick the very first night. We put on the ReliefBands and waited for the 'miracle'.....it did not happen, they did not work for us. Wife ended up in the medical facility to get an injection, I did not feel too well but Meclizine started working and I started feeling better. We had the ReliefBands 'on' but they just did not seem to make much if any difference.

I have read that some people are so happy with them and they have good results but unfortunately we are not the ones (I wish we were).

Wes

I live in Canada where you can by the patches (Transderm ) off the shelf . Last cruise they worked for me with no side effects. The bands did not . I understand the Gravol with ginger works well and also has no side effects.

I get motion sick walking on the treadmill trying to read a book. LOL. I have not cruised, but read many a positive review from cruise messageboards when I was searching for something for my motion sickness. I get motion sick on airplanes, also we travel to the caribbean with DH's company and usually charter a boat for one whole day each trip. I thought I'd try it. It takes a little getting used to the zap but then you start appreciating the zap because it keeps you from feeling woozy. I also ordered from drugstore.com. Used a first time shopper coupon and saved some $$.

Good luck.

Trish

Hi, My husband tried the releif bands on a day cruise in Alaska, they didn't work, he was sick for 3 days afterwards. Not with the nausea and Vomiting the whole time , but just generally felt rotten. I alway take bonine before any risk of getting sea sick. I drink in small amounts and have never been bothered by side effects. Enjoy your cruise. Take something for sea sickness before you leave. Carla

I get motion sickness so easy. Like last weekend out shopping for a new ceiling fan! Too much looking up and it put me in bed for the rest of the day!! It is no fun to be like this. :eek:

Anyway, I was very worried on our first cruise and saw my Dr and got the Transderm Scop patch. It made me a bit dry mounthed and sleepy for the first day, but I quickly adjusted to the medicine and the side effects went away. Yes, they do release a chemical through your skin. We had a tablemate who wore relief band for his motion sickness and thought it was great. On the 4th night of our cruise it became a bit stormy and there was quite a bit of motion. We heard many people were ill on board. At dinner that night as they served the first course, our tablemate took one look at his food and turned green and left the table. He was ill for the next 2 days. So much for his relief bands!! I, however did great. It is certainly worth the cost and I have now used them on 3 cruises with great success each time. :)

We have went on 3 cruises and on the 1st I used a combo of "accu-pressure" bands and bonine. Band did not work but bonine did but I was tired:( . 2nd cruise I used patch, it worked but I was tired again:mad: . 3rd cruise I used the "relief band" and it was a miracle for me!!!:D At certain points I could leave it off and at other points(when seas got really rough) I would need to turn it up. I swear by them for me and all of my (hopefully soon) future cruises.:)

I don't suffer from nausea/vomiting while onboard but I do get dizzy when I get home AFTER the cruise. Last year I tried taking bonine before and during the cruise as a preventative measure but I was still lopsided when I got home. This went away after about three days. We are now cruising again and I don't know what to try. Is there anything that helps getting the "land legs" back?

Hi Scully's Mom, My Mom also feels yucky when she gets home.:eek: She tries to avoid bending over. I know that is hard to do at times, but it helps her. She also waits a couple of days to unpack or sets her luggage up on something high. Hope this helps you out a bit. Roxanne:)

• 8 months later...

I tried the band on my last cruise to Bermuda. It worked on the way to Bermuda but on the way back the battery was starting to fade and I got sick for one night. Considering that, it wasn't too bad. I usually get sick. The zap feeling is annoying. My next cruise July o5 will use the band and a 1/2 of a patch.

The DW and I used the relief bands with the small button (no batteries required) on our last cruise for projected heavy seas and they worked great. They have no side effects or after effects.

my daughter and i used the cheap bands that apply accupressure with the button on your wrist. no side effects and worked great. we only needed them one night however, so if you really are prone to motion sickness they may not work for you.

We also tried them when she got car sick and they worked too. I'll save them for when she gets pregnant as I suffered from terrible morning sickness and I heard they work for that too.

I sailed last year in the middle of Ivan, 40' waves. I used the inexpensive sea bands and took one pill the entire trip. I had a brief bout of nausea and went back to the cabin, put on the bands, took a pill, laid down and that was that. Never again. I felt great the entire trip when others were hanging onto their beds. I found a lot of the crew had on the exact same bands. I figured if I could get though Ivan, without being sick, I could probably do well on almost any cruise! Can't wait to go back!

• 2 years later...

I have tried virtually everything and can honestly say the bands did nothing for me.

I have found now that if I take Bonine the night before I travel and for the first day or so I don't need anything else for the complete cruise.

I just wanted to note that on the wrist bands they do note that it works for some of the folks but not all. It really depends.

My wife and I have sailed numerous times and had not used them but on a full world cruise we went on earlier this year we did use them and we felt they helped. They only cost about $10.00 for one pair and you can order them on line at places such as amazon.com or you can get them in paces such as Walmart. For $10.00 we thought it was a good precaution and if it didn't work we would have just thrown them out. But, for us, it seemed to do the trick.

There is not one sure appraoch that works for all. Some do better with the patch, some with somethink like Bonine and still others with the sea/motion bands.

Keith

I think it depends on the person. I've been cruising for twenty years and I tried every remedy mentioned on these boards and then some - the patch, Dramamine, Bonine, ginger pills, green apples, taking pills days ahead, taking pills twice a day, etc. etc. -- everything but "Love Potion #9") :) and nothing worked. I figured that on our last cruise to Australia/NZ, I had to try something else as I was worried for months about the Tasman Sea crossing (40 foot waves not unheard of).

Anyway, I payed about $85 for the Relief Band only as a last resort. I thought the little plastic thing with electric current was just another $85 down the drain, but it surely worked for me.

So I absolutely believe people when they tell me they swear by Bonine or the patch, I just know that only the Relief Band worked for me.

You may have to try all the recommended remedies until you find the one that works for you :( but don't give up.

Bon Voyage!

Another person who gets motion sickness easily here.

I find that the sea bands work for mild to strong motion or naseau. I use Bonine if the bands aren't working or if the motion is very strong. Bonine goes to work in 15 minutes for me. Band start working in 5 minutes.

90% of the time the bands are enough with no side effects. The other 10% I need the Bonine but do get sleepy.

Ginger also helps mild queaziness.

With the bands, it is very important to get them placed on the proper spot on the wrist. If they are not on the proper spot, they won't work. The spot is higher up the wrist than most folks think about 2 fingers up from where the hand joins the wrist.

Good luck, you will have to find what works for you!

Archived