Surprise! It costs money!

If you are an Elite member on Celebrity, the free laundry coupon is for 30 items (and it sometimes takes more than one bag to hold it all, but that's o.k.). We've had good experience with the laundry (except for a couple of DH's shirts coming back a bit shrunk -- and, no, it wasn't the fault of breakfast, lunch and dinner:eek:). Everything seemed carefully folded.

When we've used the regular laundry bag special on longer cruises, we find that we can get a very large amount of articles stuffed into the bag. Rolling all the items, rather than folding them, makes for lots more room in the bag. We have actually included 20 underpants (10 mens-10 womens), 10 men's undershirts, 1 pr. of jeans, 2 slacks, and a few shirts. Roll very tightly, scotchtape the very edge of the bag closed (and reinforce the bottom also with scotchtape) and WARN your steward to only pick up the bag from underneath!!:D

I'm familiar with the free laundry programs ... we have that on Princess. Royal Caribbean is really vigilant about those "extras" being included in the "special," and list the acceptable items. It doesn't really matter how much underwear you can squeeze into one of those flimsy bags ... $25 isn't cheap for a small load of white laundry, but there are no other options (short of hand-washing) on RCI ships. As for the pants and shirts, you'd be charged the going rate for those items.

We have sailed Carnival-1; RCCL-1[Never again!; Hal-2; Princess-6. We booked ahead on board after our 3rd, credited our land agent & always saved $ because she had line lower $ if price lowered. :) Great agent! The future cruise agent on-board educated us about handicapped rooms & we saved bundles instead of booking suites. HAL didn't do HC well at all! RCCL never took her nose out of the air, was abusive & dismissive! Carnival was fun, but not as warm as Princess for on-board cruises. We always have booked excursions in advance on-line w/cruise line. Yes, it may cost more, but we enjoy knowing where we will venture before we leave. Booking ahead on-board on Princess allowed us to pay $100 ea. & use the deposit for any cruise in the next 4 years! Even when we had to cancel because of illness, we were credited back the $. We even were able to reserve a cruise that had not yet been listed when the future cruise person revealed to us that it would become available on the Friday of our current cruise. It opened at 9am & we were confirmed by 9:10am for the one cabin that would meet our HC balcony needs. May you all have a great life cruising!

If I turn my phone completely off, and lock it in the safe before we leave port, are we safe from unusual charges?

Yes, you'll be fine with it turned off. Plus, it's a great excuse for checking voice mails and e-mails, and really enjoying your time away! ;)

We sign up for future cruises while on board with an unknown destination. All cruise lines have this option under different names. They require a $100 deposit per person and this serves as your deposit when you sign up with your travel agent (you have the option to have them be given credit when on board) The benefit is that you will receive shipboard credit - amount depending on the length of cruise. Some have other benefits like upgrades and benefits with friends that you may want to cruise with you. Some have time lengths and refunds - read the form. It is a good deal if you want to sail on that cruise line again!

Bob

Different opinion here, this is how the cruise line gets you, you have commited to them so you dont look at other cruise lines for deals. What works for me is last minute cruising, booking only a few weeks before your cruise. Good Luck

Different opinion here, this is how the cruise line gets you, you have commited to them so you dont look at other cruise lines for deals. What works for me is last minute cruising, booking only a few weeks before your cruise. Good Luck

The fact that you have purchased a Future Cruise Credit does not lock you into a cruise line. You can still book a cruise on any ship. Yes, if you book with a different line you do not get the FCC benefits, but if you don't by an FCC you don't get the benefits either.

Yes, but some of us still have jobs that don't let us go off at the last minutes :)

Someday!

YES - DH and I ordered 2 drinks (Bailey's on Ice) on our last CCL cruise and handed the server 2 drink coupons - thinking we had paid for our drinks. WRONG! We still had to pay another $5.50 + the 15% gratituty - I was TICKED OFF. I took the rest of the drink coupons and threw them in the trash! They were worthless as far as I was concerned!

I had a coupon for a buy on get one glass of wine. Stopped at a bar and ask for two glasses of cab. He said, sorry, didn't have cab, but he had Pinot. I said ok, didn't ask how much. 12.50 plus 15%.

Yes, but some of us still have jobs that don't let us go off at the last minutes :)

Someday!

Well what we do is we have the vacation slot and then try to fit a cruise into it, if we cant get a deal we do something else. It works for us, just trying to give ideas to feed from, good luck to all. What works for us may not work for others but we got some incredible great deals, i know they were the lowest price for the cruise.

In addition what I mean by locked into a cruiseline, well you are pretty much mentally locked in, you look for cruises on that line because you wont want to lose that money, and you think it is kind of free. We almost did it ourselves, but if that works for you great, I am not trying to start any arguments just trying to present what works for us, your situation and concept of crusing may be very different, happy new year

If I turn my phone completely off, and lock it in the safe before we leave port, are we safe from unusual charges?

Probably but check with your phone provider to be certain--and remove the battery as well! and do NOT turn it on for any reason until you are back on shore in the US.

You might be OK on airplane mode (we just did this with DH's phone) but do check with your provider regardless.

I won't call them "hidden" because if you read the materials online and in your cruise docs, they are stated, but here are a few I have noticed evolving (up or down) since my first cruise in 1994 to my 31st this past November...

1. Excursions are RIDICULOUSLY priced. I wouldrecommend taking the time to reseach and organize your own online in advance. I used to extoll the virtues of them (the main advantage being they were good and the ship would wait if you were late as part of a group you booked from the cruise) but nowadays excursions are way overpriced and they mainly kidnap you and take you "shopping" for the kickbacks from the merchants. In Turkey I paid over $200 to be taken the the Blue Mosque for 20 minutes and then stuck in the "bazaar" (Cheap crap from China) for 2 and a half HOURS! I am not exaggerating. The tour description did not mention the word shopping either. Stay away from anything called the "straw market" anywhere.

2. Ice cream - used to be soft serve out of a machine and free. Now is hagen daaz cart or gelato stand and not at all free. On the other hand Norwegian gives free pastries at the coffee bar. Oh, fancy coffee drinks are not free. Some people are suprised at this. On the other hand, the normal coffe is pretty good these days. Used to be AWFUL.

3. Parts of the Gym are no longer free. I have asthma and after being exposed to all the smokers who invariably smoke in the nonsmoking sections of the ship (RIP A-Z Paradise), taking a good steam usually helps me breathe easier. On most of the ships they now have a "special" section of the spa (basically some nice lounge chairs, another hot tub and the steam room) and you have to pay $15-30 a day to access it. It's highway robbery. I just got in the shower and wasted a bunch of hot water instead :o(

4. Salon treatments- these prices are WAY over the top and while sometimes the service is great, sometimes it is AWFUL. What is your recourse? It's not like they are aiming for your loyalty. I paid over $200 for a massage on Carnival back n 2005 that I affectionately call "the icicle and loud noise torture massage." Another girl played Led Zeppelin during my massage. No, they would not refund me. Off topic, but I am appalled that they are offering botox and teeth whitening on ships--stay away these should be done by professionals, as in real doctors, dentists and real dermatologists. Not hairdressers and gym rats.

5. TIPS. These have not kept pace with inflation. I personally LOVE that this charge is included and mandatory on some cruises. First of all, the people working there are cleaning up after me and serving me all week and a few bucks a day is NOTHING! I used to work for Carnival Embarkation and so many uncouth people would ask about removing the tips from their bill before they even got on the ship. I think it was just plain mean, or even hateful to let people who are 1,000s of miles away from their families for months at a time clean up your dirty underwear off the floor and serve you glorious meals all week and then not pay them. Second, I actually spend LESS (like half) with the mandatory tipping because I tended to overtip in the excitemnet of the moment. I always slip my Cabin Steward an extra $20 at the beginning and ask for plenty of ice for the weekend/week. Fourth, It's great not to have to find cash (in a csahless system) and a bunch of the right amounts of small bills for the "envelopes" of yesteryear. RCCL still does something weird with slips of paper that is truly a waste of time and annoying for the guests, but whatever. Lastly, some people thought that it was somehow unfair to ask for tips for kids. Um, really? Are you kidding? Kids are the biggest mess-makers in the world. They may be short and not have jobs to supplement the cost of their vacation, but the people cleaning up after them sure are busting their humps working, so why not pay them? It's not their fault if a family has more kids than they feel they can afford to pay for. So the tipping has BARELY gone up in the 16 years I have been cruising, and in my opinion, since so many people try to weasel out of paying, the cruise line should just build it in like a fuel charge and make it mandatory. Ok rant over, I know that's another board.

6. Room service. No longer free on all cruiselines :o(. We used to bring an envelope of small bills and tape it to the door so we had tips for the room service people handy at all times. I have a feeling that most people did not tip the room service deliverers and therefor the cruiselines decided to regain something from the use of the labor that could be doing other cash-generating things. I miss ordering free cookies and chips anda pot of coffee after a long day, and after naptime, that would hold us over until dinner. I still have experienced free continental breakfast everywhere Ive cruise recently which is great for those of us who don't even want to get dressed or leave the cabin before we've had our first coffee.

Thats all I can think of for now. I know I sound kind of negative, but I love cruisng and will continue to cruise, despite the changes I don't like and the bad behavior of som other pax. There are plenty of changes I LOVE. That is for another post.

Happy sailing!

• 2 weeks later...

Phone call on the ship while still in port in LA cost us $40.

The price of the bottled water in the room was jaw dropping.

Ice Cream for free was only available for 2 hours a day. Premium ice cream was available at a price.

Tipping on the excursions. We did'nt know and scrambled to pay them their tips.

Taxis in some ports are verryyy expensive.

Designer make up in the on board shops are not discounted. only tax free.

1. Excursions are RIDICULOUSLY priced. I wouldrecommend taking the time to reseach and organize your own online in advance. I used to extoll the virtues of them (the main advantage being they were good and the ship would wait if you were late as part of a group you booked from the cruise) but nowadays excursions are way overpriced and they mainly kidnap you and take you "shopping" for the kickbacks from the merchants. In Turkey I paid over $200 to be taken the the Blue Mosque for 20 minutes and then stuck in the "bazaar" (Cheap crap from China) for 2 and a half HOURS! I am not exaggerating. The tour description did not mention the word shopping either. Stay away from anything called the "straw market" anywhere. As a newbie, I was tempted to book one of the cruise line's excursions. Instead, based on recommendations from here, I reserved something similar (actually sounds nicer) at half the cost.

2. Ice cream - used to be soft serve out of a machine and free. Now is hagen daaz cart or gelato stand and not at all free. On the other hand Norwegian gives free pastries at the coffee bar. Oh, fancy coffee drinks are not free. Some people are suprised at this. On the other hand, the normal coffe is pretty good these days. Used to be AWFUL. Bummer on the ice cream- I thought that sounded pretty cool to have free ice cream available whenever the mood strikes!

3. Parts of the Gym are no longer free. I have asthma and after being exposed to all the smokers who invariably smoke in the nonsmoking sections of the ship (RIP A-Z Paradise), taking a good steam usually helps me breathe easier. On most of the ships they now have a "special" section of the spa (basically some nice lounge chairs, another hot tub and the steam room) and you have to pay $15-30 a day to access it. It's highway robbery. I just got in the shower and wasted a bunch of hot water instead :o( No way I am paying extra for that!

4. Salon treatments- these prices are WAY over the top and while sometimes the service is great, sometimes it is AWFUL. What is your recourse? It's not like they are aiming for your loyalty. I paid over $200 for a massage on Carnival back n 2005 that I affectionately call "the icicle and loud noise torture massage." Another girl played Led Zeppelin during my massage. No, they would not refund me. Off topic, but I am appalled that they are offering botox and teeth whitening on ships--stay away these should be done by professionals, as in real doctors, dentists and real dermatologists. Not hairdressers and gym rats. Totally agree! I regularly go to the salon at home so that's nothing special. And I can get excellent massages for way less. If I really want one, I'll try one of the inexpensive massages on the beach!

5. TIPS. These have not kept pace with inflation. I personally LOVE that this charge is included and mandatory on some cruises. First of all, the people working there are cleaning up after me and serving me all week and a few bucks a day is NOTHING! I used to work for Carnival Embarkation and so many uncouth people would ask about removing the tips from their bill before they even got on the ship. I think it was just plain mean, or even hateful to let people who are 1,000s of miles away from their families for months at a time clean up your dirty underwear off the floor and serve you glorious meals all week and then not pay them. Second, I actually spend LESS (like half) with the mandatory tipping because I tended to overtip in the excitemnet of the moment. I always slip my Cabin Steward an extra $20 at the beginning and ask for plenty of ice for the weekend/week. Fourth, It's great not to have to find cash (in a csahless system) and a bunch of the right amounts of small bills for the "envelopes" of yesteryear. RCCL still does something weird with slips of paper that is truly a waste of time and annoying for the guests, but whatever. Lastly, some people thought that it was somehow unfair to ask for tips for kids. Um, really? Are you kidding? Kids are the biggest mess-makers in the world. They may be short and not have jobs to supplement the cost of their vacation, but the people cleaning up after them sure are busting their humps working, so why not pay them? It's not their fault if a family has more kids than they feel they can afford to pay for. So the tipping has BARELY gone up in the 16 years I have been cruising, and in my opinion, since so many people try to weasel out of paying, the cruise line should just build it in like a fuel charge and make it mandatory. Ok rant over, I know that's another board. I absolutely agree with you! There is NO way I would consider asking for the tip to be removed. I love that I was able to prepay tips.

6. Room service. No longer free on all cruiselines :o(. We used to bring an envelope of small bills and tape it to the door so we had tips for the room service people handy at all times. I have a feeling that most people did not tip the room service deliverers and therefor the cruiselines decided to regain something from the use of the labor that could be doing other cash-generating things. I miss ordering free cookies and chips anda pot of coffee after a long day, and after naptime, that would hold us over until dinner. I still have experienced free continental breakfast everywhere Ive cruise recently which is great for those of us who don't even want to get dressed or leave the cabin before we've had our first coffee. Do you know if it's still free on Carnival?

Thats all I can think of for now. I know I sound kind of negative, but I love cruisng and will continue to cruise, despite the changes I don't like and the bad behavior of som other pax. There are plenty of changes I LOVE. That is for another post.

Happy sailing!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Our Princess credit is good for two years

The Princess "Future Cruise" credit is now good for 4 years from the date it is paid.

The best part, besides the OBC, is that you do not have to pay any additional down payment until the 90 day pre-pay date.

• 5 months later...

Beware...check your bill on the tv often...my DH was billed 67.50 for ONE beer at the sky bar...it took a 45 min wait at the pursers desk and about 6 hours to clear off our bill...but they do make mistakes. the 6.75 beer was keyed in wrong by the bartender.:eek: Either that or the tought we wouldn't notice he'd added a bit to his tip:cool:. LOL...

I took a little nap in the room and when I woke, didn't have a clue where to start looking for the DH...so;) I turned on the TV and checked the most recent activity on our bill...:DFOUND him!!! Sky bar...and sure enough he was still there...LOL!

If you order iced tea at dinner your first evening onboard - and if you have an alert and super asst. waiter - you will never have to order it again. He'll have it ready for you every evening. At least that's been our experience on Celebrity.:D

I've had the same experience on Carvival

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the little inside hints. I know some of the stuff I would have assumed it was free. I know that some of it DH and I will probably indulge and end up spending the extra money.

I already save money by not drinking coffee or pop. I'm a juice and water type person... good to know when and where I can get it free. Plus I don't do casino's.

Are alcoholic drinks fairly pricey? (I'm going on Caribbean Princess)

Some of the things I budge for are:

Port shopping

Sail card - pictures, shopping, drinks, etc.

Tips - baggage handlers (to and from), waitstaff, port people, room service, extra tips

Excursions - including drinks, meals and shopping that may not be included

Taxi / bus / transfers

Laundry service

House / Pet sitting

pre / post hotel

emergency funds - any number of reasons you might need to buy an unexpected item

alternative dining

pre / post travel costs - gas, airfare, tips, transfers, etc.

of course, I'm sure there are more, but these are the biggies.

Archived