Can We Stay on the Ship on a Back to Back

esther e

On our B2B on HAL (Panama Canal), we attended a second life boat drill with all the new passengers in San Diego. Only a minority did the B2B.

On both our long cruises (Princess' circumnavigation of Oz, Oceania's Amazon cruise), we only attended one drill. There was a second drill in Melbourne for new passengers, but we were not required to attend.

On all cruises, the crew had numerous additional drills.

Just a month ago, an elderly couple (He age 90, she 84) was forcefully disembarked from the Seabourn Sojourn because the wife did not attend the muster drill on the second leg of a B2B. The husband attended the drill, but his wife said she didn't feel well and had done it on the first leg of their Back to Back voyages.

They were on the second leg of a B2B2B.

That seems draconian to me since she had participated in the first leg's muster drill and her husband went to the second drill and could have reported to her if there had been any changes in drill procedure, which I don't think had changed, anyway.

If the Captain intended to be so strict about attendance, he could have arranged to have a crewmember take the ill wife to the muster area in a wheelchair at the last moment so that she would not have to stand in line.

DH and I did a b2b in Feb-March this year, Sydneynto,Auckland, then Auckland to Sydney via Coral Sea and Great Barrier Reef. First leg was 16 nights followed by 21 nights. We asked at Guest Relations if we had to attend the second muster drill and were told that we did not. The next day we received a letter reviewing procedures. I can't remember for sure if we had to sign and return the letter or not. BTW, we did change cabins and the crew moved all our bags for us. We packed what was in the drawers and cabinets and on the shelves. They simply lifted what was hanging in the closet and put it into the new closet. I can't address staying on board as we chose to get off and spend the day in Auckland. Enjoy your trip.

Harriet

Most of our cruises with O have been b2b. We have always had the same cabin so have not had to move. All of our cruises have been fairly recent.

We have always been told to attend both drills and most of the cruises have been ~12-14 day cruises. Sometimes we've left the ship to visit the port (example: Athens) but other times we've stayed on board. We have been told that O's captains want the b2bers to come to all drills just in case your crew captain has been changed or meeting place tweaked.

We always tell our room attendants so that they know if we are staying in or leaving ship but we get out of their way; they have so much work to do that day. We ask if they want us to leave the room early so they can get in and out quickly.

b2b is a wonderful way to cruise! Have a great time!!

• 1 year later...

Any changes in B2B procedures? I did a search and this is about all that came up here. Do we contact guest relations during the first leg or do they contact us?

I'm assuming we can stay on during turnaround in Barcelona if we choose to? Will we be able to get on and off the ship at our convenience there or do we need to wait until disembarkation begins?

As a side note does anyone know which terminal Oceania is currently using in Barcelona for Riviera when they end and begin cruises there?

Any changes in B2B procedures? I did a search and this is about all that came up here. Do we contact guest relations during the first leg or do they contact us?

A few days before the end of the 1st cruise they will send information on what to do on disembarkation day

US port require you to disembark usually for 1 hr maybe less some other ports also require the ship to be zero count ..I know Dover was one where we also had to leave the ship for a short time

ORV

Here is a link to the Barcelona Cruise Terminal Map:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html#barcelonaCruiseTerminalsMap

Our cruise on Riviera in September 2013 is scheduled to use Terminal A, B or C subject to change at the sole discretion of the port authority without notice.

Cheers,

Don

Marina & Riviera dock at the foot of Las Ramblas, the smaller ships use the World Trade Center Terminal.

I believe the WTC terminal is at the foot of the Ramblas, the terminal for Marina/Riviera is a fairly long bus ride away from Ramblas, as can be seen on the map provided by Don:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html#barcelonaCruiseTerminalsMap

You can take the Blue Bus from Terminals A. B or C to the Columbus Monument which is at the bottom of La Rambla where you can get on the HOHO buses. The cost of the Blue Bus is 2 Euro one-way and 3 Euro return. The HOHO bus fare is about 26 Euro which you purchase on the HOHO bus.

Cheers,

Don

We've done 10 B/B in Europe and never had to get off the ship. If there is a small group of B/B cruisers there is sometimes a wonderful private lunch in the MDR. If they have one don't miss it.:)

Back to back cruisers on the Marina in Southampton on disembarkation/embarkation day in June 2013 were invited to a special luncheon in Jacques. Although we were in the same cabin on each cruise we were issued new passenger cards. We were required, however, to attend boat drills for each cruise.

If your turn-around port is in the USA, you have to disembark. All passports, US included. We used the day to sightsee on our own (San Diego, Miami), but I remember vaguely that passengers needed to stay off the ship for only a short time and then could return.

Archived