what the heck to do...

MAO

Hey Linda and Myssie, I am cracking up that Bigsky called you a snot, he obviously doesn't know you. We will be in San uan in Noivember and I will let you know what we do and how it is. Myssie, quit started crap okay? LOL. Behave and have fun girls! Miss you both.

Snippy Little Snot--the board moderator should be giving that poster a time out--not very nice board etiquette & not what this thread was about...Security in ports is a legitimate issue for many of us...see Jamaica!

Cruisecrazy, I will look forward to your review. I know you always have a fun and are safety conscious. Miss you too:) I have a few things in mind but will continue to research.

hcat, wondering if you have any suggestions for OSJ, you obviously keep safety in mind.

I was really iterested in the bio illuminesance thing any one have more info on it. One of my fellow cruises talked about it, would love to hear some recent reviews on it.

Thanks for keeping this useful thread alive, many links and good info in the previous pages.

MAO

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. That was my inarticulate point that some of the homeless people here are actually Americans from the states and they don't speak spanish. Kind of odd, but true.

Just to set the record straight, OSJ is not dangerous, scary place. There are not hoodlums running around following people around. That is just ridiculous and it would not be right if I did not provide a balanced perspective. I really don't feel that I should allow ignorant side comments to go unchecked. I understand it might be a little bit of a culture shock for some, but it is not dangerous.

I was trying to understand why the OP had such a negative perspective on OSJ and its surroundings given they had such a bad experience the first time. I thought I could help her by adding the learning and experience I've had living down here for the last 9 years since her perspective was very unique to me and others. Given her concern and underlying tone in her messages, I thought her lack of understanding of the area coupled with her past experience could affect her upcoming trip.

She went out of her way to be rude and disrespectful, so I disengaged.

The OP has been clear. Only answer the questions she asked and don't add additional perspective. There is no desire to learn from additional dialogue. I think additional dialogue adds to the richness of the planning, especially for people who use these boards. I often learn things I never expected to when looking for information. Sometimes, it is the best advice I got. The people who use these boards typically are planners. Maybe I'm wrong.

I am a bit confused that you are so adamant about pointing out others ingorance of OSJ. You said it was your "inarticulate point that some of the homeless people here are actually Americans from the states and they don't speak spanish. Kind of odd, but true." Last time I checked Puerto Rico is part of the United States which makes ever local there an American citizen. He who lives in glass houses....

I have gotten good info here on OSJ, including posts from Big Sky Country. It's always nice to get some insight from someone from the area that we're visiting.:) I did not take the comment from BSC as an insult to Americans. BSC was just informing us on how to react, in Spanish, to the approaching homeless. If the approaching homeless is American, then we Americans know how to speak English.:D That was just my take on the comment.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, and keeping it going!:) I will be arriving in SJ on Friday afternoon, and was planning to eat at the Parrot Club. I have also learned from this thread the area to stay away from. Thanks again to everyone for their advice.;)

I have gotten good info here on OSJ, including posts from Big Sky Country. It's always nice to get some insight from someone from the area that we're visiting.:) I did not take the comment from BSC as an insult to Americans. BSC was just informing us on how to react, in Spanish, to the approaching homeless. If the approaching homeless is American, then we Americans know how to speak English.:D That was just my take on the comment.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, and keeping it going!:) I will be arriving in SJ on Friday afternoon, and was planning to eat at the Parrot Club. I have also learned from this thread the area to stay away from. Thanks again to everyone for their advice.;)

I was merely stating that he is obviously not an expert if he doesn't even know he is in the US and should not imply others are ingorant.

I agree there is great info in the thread and everyones take and experiences are different and no individual is an expert. We can only offer our likes, dislikes, and experiences. I thought Rome, Italy was going to be wonderful, it was a dirty gross armpit of a city, who knew!

Well, I was finding this thread to be very informative until the OP had such a bad attitude with BSC. I never interpreted BSC to be lecturing or rude until the OP was first. I don't know either poster but was grateful for BSC's help. I think it might be useful to end this thread and start a fresh one.:)

Maybe you can answer my questions:) . We will be in OSJ for the second time in the beginning of Oct. We don't arrive till 3pm so of course we are limited in our choices. We did the $10 pp tour the first time and my DD and FSIL did a walking tour including the forts. We are interested in seeing a little more of the island this time. Do you know of any tours that will go off the beaten path so to speak? We are interested in seeing the interior a little, maybe the sugar plantations, or something like that. We were also wondering if there were cabs or something that might take us to the Bacardi factory or beaches and then into the interior. The kids are probably going to do the bioluminesence tour in the evening and DH and I will either walk around or return to the ship.

We had wanted to go to Yunta but the time we are there doesn't really allow that and some native Puerto Ricans told us that it will be too hot and steamy anyway until winter.

I think a ride through the beautiful countryside sounds perfect.

I was merely stating that he is obviously not an expert if he doesn't even know he is in the US and should not imply others are ingorant.

I agree there is great info in the thread and everyones take and experiences are different and no individual is an expert. We can only offer our likes, dislikes, and experiences. I thought Rome, Italy was going to be wonderful, it was a dirty gross armpit of a city, who knew!

Wow. I certainly never claimed to be an expert. I am, however, fully cognizant of what Puerto Rico is, exactly. Puertoricans don't typically consider themselves "Americans" (many Americans typically don't either). I understand your point that Puertorican residents are actually US citizens. The point was more centered around language than citizenship. The primary language of Puerto Rico is Spanish.

As far as my comment on ignorance (BTW - I'm ignorant on a lot of things, but not PR), I thought my apology was enough. I don't know what else to say. I'm not going to make myself bleed over it. However true/un-true or right/wrong my point was, the point was lost in my delivery of it. Good lesson learned. I'm not so proud that I cannot acknowledge that.

Too bad you did not like Rome. I loved it. Great to visit, but I would not want to live there. That just furthers your point that everyone has different experiences.

Maybe you can answer my questions:) . We will be in OSJ for the second time in the beginning of Oct. We don't arrive till 3pm so of course we are limited in our choices. We did the $10 pp tour the first time and my DD and FSIL did a walking tour including the forts. We are interested in seeing a little more of the island this time. Do you know of any tours that will go off the beaten path so to speak? We are interested in seeing the interior a little, maybe the sugar plantations, or something like that. We were also wondering if there were cabs or something that might take us to the Bacardi factory or beaches and then into the interior. The kids are probably going to do the bioluminesence tour in the evening and DH and I will either walk around or return to the ship.

We had wanted to go to Yunta but the time we are there doesn't really allow that and some native Puerto Ricans told us that it will be too hot and steamy anyway until winter.

I think a ride through the beautiful countryside sounds perfect.

I'd love to help. The late arrivals really do limit things. What day do you arrive? (Rush hour need to be considered). There really aren't any sugar plantations anymore. The labor is too high and the entire industry moved out years ago. If you are truly arriving at 3pm, you will probably only have time for 1 thing for the day (ie. beach OR Bacardi tour). Cabs are lined up and waiting to take you anywhere, but a ride into the mountains might cost you a small fortune. I'd consider renting a car.

A thought might be to go into the mountains to Guavate. They have daily pig roasts where you can sample a lot of the real native local food. It is reasonable and adventurous. It will take you 40 minutes to get there (no traffic). My parents enjoyed that immensely when they visited me. There are nice views from the mountains and it is fun to do as the locals do.

El Yunque (which is what I think you are referring to), the rainforest, is an hour away, but you'd have a little time if you rented a car. The heat will be an issue anywhere, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a lot of health concerns (ie. it is not that bad).

I'd love to help.

A thought might be to go into the mountains to Guavate. They have daily pig roasts where you can sample a lot of the real native local food. It is reasonable and adventurous. It will take you 40 minutes to get there (no traffic). My parents enjoyed that immensely when they visited me. There are nice views from the mountains and it is fun to do as the locals do.

The heat will be an issue anywhere, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a lot of health concerns (ie. it is not that bad).

Thank you so much. This sounds really interesting. Is there a map or directions or better yet a private tour that goes there? I will mention renting a car to my DD and FSIL, I kinda think they will nix the idea because they, I should say we, are a little afraid of driving a car in a place we know nothing about and getting lost. My FSIL speaks Spanish somewhat as he is of Puerto Rican heritage. His parents were born on the island but he was born in the states and Spanish is a second language to him.

The heat will be somewhat of an issue as my DH is very ill. He will be on a chemo break during the cruise so we are trying to find some fun but not strenuous things to do and see.

We are a group of 20 people (mid 40's to mid 50's) on the Carnival Freedom coming to San Juan in February. Unfortunately, the ship doesn't dock until 5:00 pm (EST) and leaves at midnight. On a Monday.

I have been looking at the "Night Tales in Old San Juan" - a two hour walking tour - and wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

Also, is San Juan on Eastern Standard in February?

Any help or alternative recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much. This sounds really interesting. Is there a map or directions or better yet a private tour that goes there? I will mention renting a car to my DD and FSIL, I kinda think they will nix the idea because they, I should say we, are a little afraid of driving a car in a place we know nothing about and getting lost. My FSIL speaks Spanish somewhat as he is of Puerto Rican heritage. His parents were born on the island but he was born in the states and Spanish is a second language to him.

The heat will be somewhat of an issue as my DH is very ill. He will be on a chemo break during the cruise so we are trying to find some fun but not strenuous things to do and see.

You won't find a private tour. I'm not sure that would work out for you since your husband is not well. Texancruiser has been frequently posting good maps of SJ. You can follow her link to get it. She posts here a lot. If you do take a cab to Guavate, it will probably cost you ~$150. If you are interested, I can pull a map together for you.

Staying closer to town is probably a better bet. You mention Bacardi or beaches (both are a short cab ride away). The mountains are a bit more of a trip and more remote (and given your concerns on health, maybe is not for you).

You can probably get a cab to go through the Loiza area beaches. That is not too far and can be scenic. It is actually behind the airport. That you could do driving without veering to far out of the city.

As far as language, nearly everyone understands English, but some are not comfortable (shy) speaking it. I only met 2 Puertoricans down here that truly could not speak English. You'll do fine. Not to worry.

I'd like to say that I really enjoy visiting San Juan, and have not felt threatened there. So far, it and Vancouver are my favorite ports for pre and post cruise stays. Have also found your posts to be helpful and respectful--please continue to offer them. We will be in San Juan for 2 nights prior to a December 4th Princess canal cruise. Unfortunately we get in pretty late on the first night. One of the reasons we chose this cruise was the chance to spend some time in San Juan. We will have our 7 year old daughter with us. The pig roast sounds like something we'd like to do, but we were not intending to rent a car. We are staying at the Caribe Hilton. We plan to spend a lot of the time walking around OSJ. As I recall from our last time in OSJ, there were a lot of people flying kites in the area leading to El Morro. Can you buy kites there (and give them to someone else when you are done)? Would the Parrot Club be an appropriate restaurant for a nice dinner, with a 7 year old? Any thoughts on the bio bay with a 7 year old? Other suggestions for someone with kids?

Thanks again for the information you have provided so far.

PLEASE! Let the contraversy die:) The issue is dead in the water, pun intended;)

That said I'm glad people are posting here, there has been a ton of great info. including from BSC:) And if you don't mind answering, how do the cabs work? Are they regulated by the government, or private? In Jamaica I know there are only certain cabs you should take.

Thanks.

MAO

We are a group of 20 people (mid 40's to mid 50's) on the Carnival Freedom coming to San Juan in February. Unfortunately, the ship doesn't dock until 5:00 pm (EST) and leaves at midnight. On a Monday.

I have been looking at the "Night Tales in Old San Juan" - a two hour walking tour - and wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

Also, is San Juan on Eastern Standard in February?

Any help or alternative recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments. I do try hard to be help. It is nice to know people find it useful.

Sorry. I'm not familiar with the tour you mentioned. I have seen it mentioned here many times (you may want to do a search for it).

Puerto Rico is on Atlantic Standard time with no adjustment for daylight savings time. Summer we are on the same time as the EST when you all go on daylight savings, but we are 1 hour ahead in February.

PLEASE! Let the contraversy die:) The issue is dead in the water, pun intended;)

That said I'm glad people are posting here, there has been a ton of great info. including from BSC:) And if you don't mind answering, how do the cabs work? Are they regulated by the government, or private? In Jamaica I know there are only certain cabs you should take.

Thanks.

MAO

Hi MAO. I agree. I think we are past that. I don't mind answering at all. The cabs are regulated by government through a union. You don't need to worry about private cabs as in other countries (they are not prevalent). However, you should not put a lot of stock in "regulated" fares that you may find posted on the internet. No cabbie runs the meter in PR. They come up with a price which can vary. You need to ask for a price before getting in. If they say they will run the meter, then don't leave until they turn it on (they won't). Then, they will give you a price.

Thanks BSC!

What do they do on a Bacardi tour? I have never asked cuz it seemed a "funny" thing to do on vacation but since Bacardi is my drink of chioce maybe I should think on that;)

MAO

Thanks BSC!

What do they do on a Bacardi tour? I have never asked cuz it seemed a "funny" thing to do on vacation but since Bacardi is my drink of chioce maybe I should think on that;)

MAO

A while back they stopped touring the actual manufacturing area (supposedly for security reasons post 9/11). The tour is basically a showroom now. You do get a couple of drinks on the "tour." Personally, I'm not impressed, but might be fun with a bunch of friends. One good reason to go is if you are a rum connoisseur (which I'm not so others would need to further comment). You can get rare rums there that you cannot get elsewhere.

I may sound ignorant here, is El Morrow part of old San Juan, the fort near the pier? Can you walk there from where Crown Princess docks? Thanks. Also can you walk to the Coach outlet from the pier? We have alot of time there and would like to do the self tour of the fort, shop and then go to the beach. Any beach suggestions?

I may sound ignorant here, is El Morrow part of old San Juan, the fort near the pier? Can you walk there from where Crown Princess docks? Thanks. Also can you walk to the Coach outlet from the pier? We have alot of time there and would like to do the self tour of the fort, shop and then go to the beach. Any beach suggestions?

yes, they are located in the historic district (viejo san juan [old sj]) and you can walk to them.

the beach is not located here, you need to take a taxi or bus to Condado or Isla Verde. the best looking beach in san juan is behind the intercontinental hotel in isla verde

Is the beach by the Hotel public? Can you rent chairs and are there restrooms for nonhotel guests? Also anyone know what the bioluminesense(sp?) is? Thanks

All the beaches in Puerto Rico are public. The are rental chairs in some areas.

Bioluminecense is a visual effect that takes part on the ocean, it makes the water glow during the night thanks to some micro-organisms that live there.

Archived