what the heck to do...

MAO

Big Sky Country,

Yes it helps a lot!

How long a walk from the cruise ship pier? How long a cab ride?

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

To answer your question, I need to know which pier you arrive at. Which cruise are you taking to San Juan? Carnival is close (~1-2 miles), Royal Caribbean is too far, princess is in between, but far also. Cab ride is pretty short ( say 10-15 minutes).

Mao - I hope I can get the link to the website to show up this time. My other suggestion would be a night time tour of Old San Juan. I haven't taken it, but hear it is good: legends of pr

If I type it in as a website with the www and the com, it won't print for some reason!

I hear the bioluminesce bay thing is cool if you get the right night for viewing - here is a website for a private company, but this trip I'd probably take from the cruiseline to make sure if anything happens the ship will wait for you. But this site will give you an example of what it's like and the moon calendar: http://www.biobay.com/

Thank you all for your suggestions, Keep Them Coming! The more info I have the better my vist ti OSJ will be.

elaineb, thank you for the links, very helpful to search other sites.

B.S.C. and 98, do you have any suggestions for bars, is there a Hard rock or Senor Frogs, that kind of thing? I do want to see more of OSJ but I also travel w/ my SIL and need to have plenty of options in case we want to chill afterwards.

Thanks.

MAO

Thank you all for your suggestions, Keep Them Coming! The more info I have the better my vist ti OSJ will be.

elaineb, thank you for the links, very helpful to search other sites.

B.S.C. and 98, do you have any suggestions for bars, is there a Hard rock or Senor Frogs, that kind of thing? I do want to see more of OSJ but I also travel w/ my SIL and need to have plenty of options in case we want to chill afterwards.

Thanks.

MAO

There is both a Hard Rock (Calle Recinto Sur) and Senor Frogs (behind the Sheraton OSJ at the base of one of the parking garages) close to the main pier area. There are also a ton of simple little places that you can duck in and out of. The cool hangout is up on San Sebastian near San Jose church where there is a row of bars. You won't have trouble finding a bar.

To answer your question, I need to know which pier you arrive at. Which cruise are you taking to San Juan? Carnival is close (~1-2 miles), Royal Caribbean is too far, princess is in between, but far also. Cab ride is pretty short ( say 10-15 minutes).

Big Sky Country,

We will be on the Crown Princess. Heard from time to time the dock changes for this ship. We are coming out of NYC so SJ is in transit for us.

Thanks for the info -- it is a big help to determine if we walk or cab it.

MARAPRINCE

98 Charlie,

59 is the age of the youngest in our little group!

You pretty much summed it up -- still want to have legs for the rest of the day!

How much time did you actually spend in El Morro -- 1-2 hours or more?

MARAPRINCE

Mao - I hope I can get the link to the website to show up this time. My other suggestion would be a night time tour of Old San Juan. I haven't taken it, but hear it is good: legends of pr

If I type it in as a website with the www and the com, it won't print for some reason!

I hear the bioluminesce bay thing is cool if you get the right night for viewing - here is a website for a private company, but this trip I'd probably take from the cruiseline to make sure if anything happens the ship will wait for you. But this site will give you an example of what it's like and the moon calendar: http://www.biobay.com/

Website is http://www.***********.com/tour_guides.htm

mao we are going there again this oct.. my plan hve a nice dinner in the supper club then a massage or vice versa.. staying on board i think ... i too did not feel safe just walking around last year.. but like you we are doing eastern again and that is one of the stops..

steph

We'll be in SJ on 6/19/07 from 2pm-10pm. We were thinking of going to El Morro. I had assumed we'd get a cab there but the comments about lots of walking and climbing once inside has me spooked. How stroller friendly is it? If not, any other suggestions? A woman I work with is from PR and was there last week and said it was hot.

Oaktree - I know the website, it just won't show up here, see? Maybe they're banned because of trying to advertise or something!

MAO - If you're looking for clubs: Go the Parrot Club, Aquaviva, Dragonfly or Fogata http://www.oofrestaurants.com/ or here is the website for Senior Frogs: http://www.senorfrogs.com/puertorico/index.htm

I can get the website on my Apple, so here is email, info@***********.com

or phone 1 787 764 2354. Computers can be cranky. Mine puts stuff in

spam folder! Good luck!

We'll be in SJ on 6/19/07 from 2pm-10pm. We were thinking of going to El Morro. I had assumed we'd get a cab there but the comments about lots of walking and climbing once inside has me spooked. How stroller friendly is it? If not, any other suggestions? A woman I work with is from PR and was there last week and said it was hot.

It is incredibly hot right now. There is dust from the Sahara causing haze and the heat radiates. I don't remember it being so hot!

Thanks for all the links! Great maps and loads of options.

Seemed that Dragonfly and Parrot Club were kinda fancy, maybe alittle expensive?? Am I wrong? Nice atmosphere though. However thay are all right next to eachother, how far from the peir? It's hard to tell, should a taxi be used?

Thanks again everyone, keep the info/suggestions comeing:)

MAO

I have never been to any of these clubs, we usually cruise with family. :( However, here is the map to Senior Frogs, and the Parrot Club, Dragonfly and Aquaviva are all on Calle Fortaleza which looks only a couple of streets up from Senior Frogs. So if you are docked in Old San Juan, any of these should be a quick walk. What ship are you going on? On the AOS we were docked at the Pan AM pier which wasn't so convenient to Old San Juan area. It would be a taxi ride from there rather than a walk.

Map to Senor Frogs: http://www.senorfrogs.com/puertorico/directions.htm

Sorry to agree with OP but once you have been there & done a tour & seen the fort on prior trips, a short stop in Old San Juan leaves very little to do.. Our ship will be there from 2pm to 8 pm -- we would like to have a nice meal close to the pier--either lunch or dinner.. & wanted to go to the Parrot Club -- seems it is too late for lunch hrs which end at 3 & not good for dinner hrs starting at 6. What other idea does anyone have--must also agree that on prior walks there were spots that are NOT safe... How is the tapas place at the Convento Hotel & how far a walk is that from the main cruise pier--should we take a taxi? I remember traffic was VERY congested on prior trips there...esp rush hr...Cannot afford to miss the ship! if nothing piques our interest we'll stay on board & do alt dining that night---

link did not connect for me but will try to find it--Really want to try The Parrot cafe--but timing of our port time is so bad--How long a walk would it be from the main cruise dock area? It looks like a very cool place.. The other restaurants also close between lunch & dinnner or are only open for dinner or are closed all together on Modays.:( if it doesn't work our guess we;ll stay on Board & do a specialty restaurant instead..( it's my b-day)

http://www.restauranteracies.com/English/index.html, should get it. I left off the html before. Try the http://www.gotopuertorico.com site for a map. You can see

location of Parrot Club. Not far at all from pier. Once you are out in that

area, there are several places to eat. Conde Nast lists Panza at 329 Recinto Sur as one of 2007 Hot Tables and one of only two in the Caribbean, the other

in Antigua. If you like to try new places, that might be for you!

Thanks for all your efforts----I'll spend some time checking these out-- Parrot Club is open for lunch til 3 but if we dock at 2 I think that would be a rush to get off & get there...so maybe will save that for another trip..

Thanks for all the links! Great maps and loads of options.

Seemed that Dragonfly and Parrot Club were kinda fancy, maybe alittle expensive?? Am I wrong? Nice atmosphere though. However thay are all right next to eachother, how far from the peir? It's hard to tell, should a taxi be used?

Thanks again everyone, keep the info/suggestions comeing:)

MAO

I don't think they are expensive. It depends on what you feel is an expensive meal. I've spent < $25 pp, but, of course, I've splurged on meals there as well >$50 pp with drinks, etc.). It is average for OSJ which I typically do once a week. I find the prices to be pretty reasonable and a decent value (especially since I get to stroll the old city with my wife and kids afterwards). What do you feel is expensive (since the answer is relative for everyone)?

Archived