How Strict is VIP check in?

cirquskid

There are usually 10 of us (5 couples) that travel together - 3 are Platinum and the other 2 aren't yet. We go through VIP and the others meet us on the ship. They have no problem with that. One of those couples will be Platinum in January.

I don't understand why people don't just follow the rules.

if there's no "vip" on their tickets, the answer is no. none of their stuff will even be at the vip area.

We just boarded the Liberty in September with my brother and nephew.

They were on my credit card for sign and sail purposes and boarded VIP with me.

At first the lady wouldnt let him go until I told her that he was on my S & S account.

His boarding pass did not have VIP on it.

Once in the VIP room all our cards were together at the desk.

Bill

Yes but if you have to wait you are able to wait in a nice VIP room depending on ports......which is better than being in the cattle call:D

We have had some in our group board with us and they did not have VIP on their docs or tags.......

In the cattle call? Not sure where you are embarking, or at what time. We usually go early and often out of POM, where the only difference between the VIP waiting area and the sitting and waiting for your zone to be called are is a lemonade machine:rolleyes:

Make sure her documents state VIP across the top. It took me a few emails to get it done proper like

May I ask who you emailed to get the non-platinum person VIP docs (when using your 'platinum' credit card?) - wondering if I can take care of this in advance. Thanks.

I am doing great and will meet you in said chat room tonight!!:p

Okay - can't wait to chat!!!:D - should be around after 8:30 pm or so (seems I have been 'volunteered' to bake double chocolate brownies for the school bake sale tomorrow!:eek:;) )

In the cattle call? Not sure where you are embarking, or at what time. We usually go early and often out of POM, where the only difference between the VIP waiting area and the sitting and waiting for your zone to be called are is a lemonade machine:rolleyes:

Port of Miami has a separate VIP room.

We usually travel in a large group with some of us being VIP's and others not. We have never had a problem checking in together. The Carnival folks have always been very accommodating.

Are the non VIP's on others credit cards for S & S charges?

If not do you guys also get up in the morning to save longers by the pool and save seats in the theater?

Bill

Yes, I am aware of that. If you read my post I said that there is very little DIFFERENCE between the regular waiting area and the VIP waiting area.....except for the lemonade machine.:rolleyes:

Yes little difference......separate room, nice cushy chairs, cold drinks, first ones on the ship, not having to set in rows and rows of folding chairs in a warehouse type setting waiting for a zone number. Yes it's the small differences that count. I personally enjoy the small differences.....why yes, yes I do:D

And I would like to point out that this is what you said:

where the only difference between the VIP waiting area and the sitting and waiting for your zone to be called are is a lemonade machine

Maybe if you folks weren't so intent on being the first people on the ship, you wouldn't have to wait in line like you're at Disneyworld. The amenities of the "VIP" area (which are paltry at best) don't matter then.

Just a thought ....

It's not the intent, it's a perk which some of us enjoy.

There are usually 10 of us (5 couples) that travel together - 3 are Platinum and the other 2 aren't yet. We go through VIP and the others meet us on the ship. They have no problem with that. One of those couples will be Platinum in January.

I don't understand why people don't just follow the rules.

I 2nd this statement.

Port of Miami has a separate VIP room.

I know Baltimore has a seperate area- Beautiful and no one was in there checking in at 1pm. (how odd)

but what about Tampa- is it nice? is it separated?

It's not the intent, it's a perk which some of us enjoy.

Yes, let us not forget the all important "status" of being a "VIP". :rolleyes:

Like it's some kind of accomplishment. :D

I'm sorry, it's not much of a perk, especially when you consider that the only people who get to enjoy it are those who rush to the port, and that other cruiselines extend similar service to all of their cruisers, not just the "lucky few".

Yes, let us not forget the all important "status" of being a "VIP". :rolleyes:

Like it's some kind of accomplishment. :D

I'm sorry, it's not much of a perk, especially when you consider that the only people who get to enjoy it are those who rush to the port, and that other cruiselines extend similar service to all of their cruisers, not just the "lucky few".

How does it work with other cruislines? I Know RCCL works the same way.

How does it work with other cruislines? I Know RCCL works the same way.

NCL serves coffee and hot cocoa and juice and banana bread. Though don't have nice couches for everyone, but they do have nice padded seats.

(Honestly, I think it depends on the port. I've only boarded NCL out of NYC. But yes, we had refreshments. It was very nice. It was also the last time I tried to beat the crowd. I'd rather walk right on then have complimentary treats.)

NCL serves coffee and hot cocoa and juice and banana bread. Though don't have nice couches for everyone, but they do have nice padded seats.

(Honestly, I think it depends on the port. I've only boarded NCL out of NYC. But yes, we had refreshments. It was very nice. It was also the last time I tried to beat the crowd. I'd rather walk right on then have complimentary treats.)

I liked it better a few years back when we could actually purchase alcohol while we waited to board:D

We have never used VIP in Tampa but the other ports we used it, it was nice.

We get to the port early and having a very fast embarkation process is nice.

If you get to the port much past 10:30 for a 4 PM sailing you are gonna have to wait even in VIP because of all the VIP cruisers that think they can bring anyone into the VIP area because "they are with me".

Of course Carnival is gonna let them check in with them. At this point, Carnival doesn't need a scene in the terminal.

When a non VIP gets in the VIP area it slows everything down. If you truly are VIP and walk in and sit down at the desk. You hand over your paper work and they hand you your S&S cards and away you go.

If someone with you is not VIP, they have to walk somewhere else in the terminal to get the S&S cards. While they do this everyone behind you and including yourself is just sitting there twiddling your thumbs.

We see this every cruise.

My mother in law was traveling in a different cabin when we sailed a few weeks ago. We asked if she would need to check in at the regular line (which was literally out the door) and they said that if I put her on the same Sail & Sign account she could check in with us at VIP, so we agreed to do so for the sake of speeding up our boarding. However, once we got to VIP check in, the agent asked us if we would prefer to set up a separate account for her (which we did).

I would've not walked to VIP and then requested special treatment, but since they offered it, I took it...:o

My mother in law was traveling in a different cabin when we sailed a few weeks ago. We asked if she would need to check in at the regular line (which was literally out the door) and they said that if I put her on the same Sail & Sign account she could check in with us at VIP, so we agreed to do so for the sake of speeding up our boarding. However, once we got to VIP check in, the agent asked us if we would prefer to set up a separate account for her (which we did).

I would've not walked to VIP and then requested special treatment, but since they offered it, I took it...:o

Our TA sets up all our accounts together for us so when we get there we just let them know........nothing special.

We have never used VIP in Tampa but the other ports we used it, it was nice.

We get to the port early and having a very fast embarkation process is nice.

If you get to the port much past 10:30 for a 4 PM sailing you are gonna have to wait even in VIP because of all the VIP cruisers that think they can bring anyone into the VIP area because "they are with me".

Of course Carnival is gonna let them check in with them. At this point, Carnival doesn't need a scene in the terminal.

When a non VIP gets in the VIP area it slows everything down. If you truly are VIP and walk in and sit down at the desk. You hand over your paper work and they hand you your S&S cards and away you go.

If someone with you is not VIP, they have to walk somewhere else in the terminal to get the S&S cards. While they do this everyone behind you and including yourself is just sitting there twiddling your thumbs.

We see this every cruise.

Last month on the Liberty out of Miami when you entered the VIP room you handed the lady at the door your boarding pass and she wrote your name down on a list.

You then went and had a seat, (Oh wait there weren't any available) and waited to be called to the desk. not very impressive.:p

Bill

Last month on the Liberty out of Miami when you entered the VIP room you handed the lady at the door your boarding pass and she wrote your name down on a list.

You then went and had a seat, (Oh wait there weren't any available) and waited to be called to the desk. not very impressive.:p

Bill

I actually was surprised to see the small amount of seating last time I was there.

Archived