How Strict is VIP check in?

cirquskid

My wife will only go on a cruise if she gets a suite.I could care less she hates to be in small rooms.We booked a suite and a balcony. for my son and his fiance.Who are both under 25.Which needs at least on parent on ship and we will be treating them for college graduation .I was told they will board with us in vip is this true even that there boarding passes don't state VIP. They both will be on my account.My carnival agent said they would when i booked the rooms should i call to make sure what do you experts think thanks all ahead:)

Sorry, I didn't mean to get any one's dandruff up by asking this question.:o No they are not kids just new to cruising and a little out of their comfort zone, but Mahalo for some of your inputs. Just thought I test the water by see if the subject had come up before rather than have them stand in line and get embarrassed.

You don't have to use the VIP line if you are worried about them you can stay with them if you want to stay together.

My wife will only go on a cruise if she gets a suite.I could care less she hates to be in small rooms.We booked a suite and a balcony. for my son and his fiance.Who are both under 25.Which needs at least on parent on ship and we will be treating them for college graduation .I was told they will board with us in vip is this true even that there boarding passes don't state VIP. They both will be on my account.My carnival agent said they would when i booked the rooms should i call to make sure what do you experts think thanks all ahead:)

according to CCL's rules they should be able to board VIP if they are on your credit card for S & S purposes.

Also you only have to be 21 to cruise without a parent or guardian. All pax in cabin have to be 21 or older or you would then need somebody 25 or older.

Bill

We are a family of 5, three in Cat 12 and two in cat 6. Just wondering how strict VIP embarcation was, can we all board together? :confused:
Here's the deal cirquskid, if you are assertive, self confident and have all your eggs in one basket, VIP boarding will be a breeze for you. I do it every time we cruise and have never had a problem, even though I certainly do not deserve it...

We are a family of 5, three in Cat 12 and two in cat 6. Just wondering how strict VIP embarcation was, can we all board together? :confused:

unless they are particularly cranky, they will let you board as a group... we've never had other's travelling with us turned away with VIP boarding...

• 3 weeks later...

Question - so I did contact my PVP and she did confirm the 'loophole' whereby adding someone to your account allows them to board VIP with you (assuming you r platinum). I mentioned sometimes the 'gatekeepers' may question a non-VIP funpass but she insisted there would not be a problem.

So when filling out my funpass there is an option to add someone from another booking (my friend and I are in separate cabins).....so I entered her booking #, name - but then I get to select from a pull down list:

member with charging privileges

member with non-charging privileges.

Now originally as mentioned the idea was to add the individual onto your account then upon boarding switch them to their own credit card - however has anyone ever chosen 'member with non-charging privileges'? I assume that would be for a child/minor? Can I choose that for my friend? Would that still permit her to board VIP with me? I wonder? (and then set up her account there or on board).

Anyone with experience with this?

P.S. ...and if the funpass completion would only work! Once I entered this info I get an error message - and I assume whatever I enter can be changed as required (if I chose the wrong option?)

Thanks!

I Think maybe Billsrob was responding to the post that Froufie wrote about going through the VIP line when they were not a VIP.

Don't think it was meant for the OP, but i could be wrong.

Yes, I think he was fuming about Froufie. That is a moot point as I see Froufie will be Platinum next cruise and will not be breaking nor bending that rule ever again!!!

VIP is for VIP...

To the OP, do yourself a favor here and at the cruise terminal. Check in at the correct lines, those that are eligible for VIP check in there, and the rest check in at their respective places.

Then... It's party time. Have your "non-VIP's" (the horror) join you in line. That way you board together, get your welcome aboard pictures together, enjoy walking on the ship together, etc.

How do you make this less a PITA for those that think being platinum is all that? (well, glad you asked) Arrive at the terminal early, early, early. Get checked in and, BINGO. No one in the VIP line that was forced to wait 90 seconds for you to get a picture or get one more chicken nugget from the buffet will be traumatized enough to need therapy or Cloud 9 Spa treatment.

We had two travel agents try to walk around my wife and I as we boarded the Magic last Sunday. We are not elderly, were just walking a normal pace and they were just rude. I reminded them the ship was not going anywhere that night, they would not be left, and most important, they were not going past me. :D No, I'm not a travel agent...

How do we know this works? (again, glad you asked) we have been joined by another cruising family on several departures and once they checked in they joined us in the platinum line.

Question - so I did contact my PVP and she did confirm the 'loophole' whereby adding someone to your account allows them to board VIP with you (assuming you r platinum). I mentioned sometimes the 'gatekeepers' may question a non-VIP funpass but she insisted there would not be a problem.

So when filling out my funpass there is an option to add someone from another booking (my friend and I are in separate cabins).....so I entered her booking #, name - but then I get to select from a pull down list:

member with charging privileges

member with non-charging privileges.

Now originally as mentioned the idea was to add the individual onto your account then upon boarding switch them to their own credit card - however has anyone ever chosen 'member with non-charging privileges'? I assume that would be for a child/minor? Can I choose that for my friend? Would that still permit her to board VIP with me? I wonder? (and then set up her account there or on board).

Anyone with experience with this?

P.S. ...and if the funpass completion would only work! Once I entered this info I get an error message - and I assume whatever I enter can be changed as required (if I chose the wrong option?)

Thanks!

the error message means something is wrong.

I added my account on THEIR funpass-- not mine.

Add the child too. and like stated-- once you get onboard (within the first 24 hours-- wait til later in the night) go to the pursers desk and remove the person

BUT- if you are arriving at the pier early-- (before embarkation really started-- like people posted it will not matter what line you go to as you both will get on the same time.

Now if you are arriving later-- (like 1pm or so-- I would do the line thing together

Note: For those guests traveling with an additional stateroom that does not fall into one of the three categories above, the additional stateroom may check in through the VIP Program only if, 1) there are minor children traveling in the additional stateroom, or 2) the guests in the additional stateroom share the same Sail & Sign account with the qualified VIP guest.

the error message means something is wrong.

I added my account on THEIR funpass-- not mine.

Add the child too. and like stated-- once you get onboard (within the first 24 hours-- wait til later in the night) go to the pursers desk and remove the person

BUT- if you are arriving at the pier early-- (before embarkation really started-- like people posted it will not matter what line you go to as you both will get on the same time.

Now if you are arriving later-- (like 1pm or so-- I would do the line thing together

Well finally got the funpass completed - after trying a couple of times and have everything printed out. My friend is 'indicated' now on my funpass as a 'member with charging privileges' - just in case that is what is needed - and of course we will change that when checking in or once onboard.

Just wondering if anyone else chose that or the other option when adding them to their account on their own booking!

That's right follow the rules. Let your kids fend for themselves!!:eek:

Bill

If they have Cat 12 cabins and Cat 6 cabins there is no way they are on the same deck, so I seriously doubt their kids would be that far away. Adult children perhaps, but little kids - Carnival would not allow it.

Jeez ----another one ---I know let all platinum cruisers pick 3 or 4 peeps waiting on the regular lines to board with them.

It never ceases to amaze me that people want/get what they ARE NOT entitled to.

That is right - when rules or laws are inconvenient then just ignore them. Like traffic lights - I guess they are just a suggestion too!

Well finally got the funpass completed - after trying a couple of times and have everything printed out. My friend is 'indicated' now on my funpass as a 'member with charging privileges' - just in case that is what is needed - and of course we will change that when checking in or once onboard.

Just wondering if anyone else chose that or the other option when adding them to their account on their own booking!

and I cant even see how it worked for you as I will be getting on a ship as you are getting off.

To the OP, do yourself a favor here and at the cruise terminal. Check in at the correct lines, those that are eligible for VIP check in there, and the rest check in at their respective places.

Then... It's party time. Have your "non-VIP's" (the horror) join you in line. That way you board together, get your welcome aboard pictures together, enjoy walking on the ship together, etc.

How do you make this less a PITA for those that think being platinum is all that? (well, glad you asked) Arrive at the terminal early, early, early. Get checked in and, BINGO. No one in the VIP line that was forced to wait 90 seconds for you to get a picture or get one more chicken nugget from the buffet will be traumatized enough to need therapy or Cloud 9 Spa treatment.

We had two travel agents try to walk around my wife and I as we boarded the Magic last Sunday. We are not elderly, were just walking a normal pace and they were just rude. I reminded them the ship was not going anywhere that night, they would not be left, and most important, they were not going past me. :D No, I'm not a travel agent...

How do we know this works? (again, glad you asked) we have been joined by another cruising family on several departures and once they checked in they joined us in the platinum line.

since the OP's post was from 4 1/2 years ago I don't think they are concerned about this any longer.:p

Bill

and I cant even see how it worked for you as I will be getting on a ship as you are getting off.

So I told my girlfriend what I did - and wonder what she will have to enter when she gets to that part of the Funpass? (and if she will need info from me? or will it automatically 'know' she is on my account?). Will wait and see what she reports....

We'll compare notes when we get back? :) - have a great cruise!;)

So I told my girlfriend what I did - and wonder what she will have to enter when she gets to that part of the Funpass? (and if she will need info from me? or will it automatically 'know' she is on my account?). Will wait and see what she reports....

We'll compare notes when we get back? :) - have a great cruise!;)

her funpass will not have VIP written across the top.

and I often wondered how do they get pass security without that.

I know on the Pride they were asking to see the funpass before the security area.

To all those who are not entitled to VIP checkin: Please use the correct line (meaning NON VIP) to get booked through.

To those who are VIP, whether platinum or suite, or linked bookings with a VIP, welcome to the VIP check in line.

Please don't be in front of me on the VIP line if you are not supposed to be there.

Thanks and enjoy your cruise. Part of my enjoyment is having earned VIP Platinum status. Enjoy yours when you've earned it.

To all those who are not entitled to VIP checkin: Please use the correct line (meaning NON VIP) to get booked through.

To those who are VIP, whether platinum or suite, or linked bookings with a VIP, welcome to the VIP check in line.

Please don't be in front of me on the VIP line if you are not supposed to be there.

Thanks and enjoy your cruise. Part of my enjoyment is having earned VIP Platinum status. Enjoy yours when you've earned it.

if they are not supposed to be there they will be directed elsewhere.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get any one's dandruff up by asking this question.:o No they are not kids just new to cruising and a little out of their comfort zone, but Mahalo for some of your inputs. Just thought I test the water by see if the subject had come up before rather than have them stand in line and get embarrassed.

That happened to us one time, we were VIP and our friends on their first cruise were not. So we just asked the opposite if we could check in with them, so they would not be alone on their first time through. I think it is kind of fun to relive that first time experience with a newbie. My feeling is whether you are first on or last off, if you are in line, the ship won't leave without you and they won't run out of food on drink before I get on board.

Dumb question...

How do you get to be a VIP and what does it get you? Obviously I have learned from this thread that you get to check in on a special line, but what else do you get?

Thanks!

We are platinum level and booked a balcony cabin and when we printed out luggage tags they printed out VIP. We enjoy the special handling and all of the other perks being a past guest gives us like free laundry while aboard.

Keep cruising and you will get there!

Archived