Last Night Dining - Mariner Western - Don't Miss It?

I know I am planning way too much, but I am trying to figure out which nights to book reservations for Portofino and Chops (I would like to eat at both). I am thinking that I really don't want to miss the first night in the dining room (it will be our first cruise and the first night in the dining room will be special), I don't want to miss the formal nights, which I understand are Monday and Thursday night on this ship's western itenerary. I also don't want to miss lobster night (anyone know which night this is? - I think it may be Friday?) This leaves, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday(?) and Saturday. Should I consider a specialty restaurant on Saturday (the last night of the cruise)? I have read elsewhere on this board that you really don't want to miss the last night in the dining room? Can one of you cruise vetrans help me out??

I know I am planning way too much, but I am trying to figure out which nights to book reservations for Portofino and Chops (I would like to eat at both). I am thinking that I really don't want to miss the first night in the dining room (it will be our first cruise and the first night in the dining room will be special), I don't want to miss the formal nights, which I understand are Monday and Thursday night on this ship's western itenerary. I also don't want to miss lobster night (anyone know which night this is? - I think it may be Friday?) This leaves, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday(?) and Saturday. Should I consider a specialty restaurant on Saturday (the last night of the cruise)? I have read elsewhere on this board that you really don't want to miss the last night in the dining room? Can one of you cruise vetrans help me out??

Hey John.. Sorry I have don't have the answer you want.. but I think I read that lobster night is Friday... When is your trip? We are going on Sept. 9 (western) and I have the same dilema as you.. :)

I personally would not want to miss the last night in the dining room. It is a night for good-byes to your waitstaff and for providing them with their well-earned tips (or vouchers if you've prepaid). I find saying good-bye to the waitstaff to be a little emotional, and I love to tell them in person how much we enjoyed them, and I also like to snap a couple pictures of them on the last night.

They have changed the menus since our last time on Mariner, so I can't comment on specific themes for different nights.

We normally book early seating, so a consideration for us is what we have done during the day. I prefer to take time and have a cocktail before we eat at Chops, so we would normally book a reservation for a port day and eat a bit later (like at 7:30 or so). It's sometimes a rush to get back onboard, then shower and dress and show up for dinner at 6 pm.

The last night can be special, but if that is your only choice then you could always stop by the dining room before or after your meal and thank your wait staff and give them their envelope at that time.

We have also eaten in specialty restaurants on the second formal night. It's often not quite as formal (aren't as many dressed up). We still get dressed up formally, and most people are often in formal wear in Chops/Portofinos.

Just a few ideas. Remember, if you miss one of the restaurants this time, you can always catch it on your next cruise! :D

We just got off Mariner today. We had the best cruise ever!!!! For 2 nights we went to Portofino, where they have excellent food including the greatest filet mignon. We didn't want to go to the dining room in formal attire, so we chose to go Monday(formal night) and Wednesday as the menu wasn't great for that night.

Also, as far as not being in the dining room the last night, that is up to you. It wasn't important to us so at 6:30 we went to the dining room to say our goodbyes and went to Chops at 7:30. ( We had late seating every night, but knew we would miss that and didn't want to not give our tips.)

All our dinners at the specialty restaurants were at 7:30. At home we normally eat at 7 or so, so the timing was perfect. It's up to you to decide when you want to go to the specialty restaurant. No matter which night you choose, you can't go wrong.

Enjoy your cruise. We sure did.

Katie

You're correct, for our Mariner Western in April, formal nights were Monday and Thursday, and lobster was served on Friday.

I agree with the other posters regarding skipping on Saturday...I don't care to miss the first or last night. In my opinion, whether they are offering the traditional "Caribbean Night" menu or the newer menu with the Turkey Tenderloins, I think Wednesday is the weakest menu of the week. We actually tried to snag a reservation for Chops on Wednesday, but by that time they were all filled up.

Everyone's tastes are different, though, so peruse the menus that are available on various sites online (the new version of the Wednesday menu can be found in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=519606 ) and decide which menu appeals to you least.

Don't worry about planning too much...it's better to plan early than to wind up unable to get a reservation.

I know I am planning way too much, but I am trying to figure out which nights to book reservations for Portofino and Chops (I would like to eat at both). I don't want to miss the last night in the dining room?

We are planning to do one of them the night we are in Cozumel. Reason being is that we love early dinner. But this port is late and we don't want to rush back to the ship for our dinner.

Lobster night is formal night. No worries there. Here's the thing, listen to aunt Nancy, don't miss Portofino's OR Chops. Don't do it. You need to go. Yes, it's extra, worth it.

The best nights to miss have been mentioned above. You can also ask the waiters which nights to miss. They know what meals have been off recently.

I just love P and C and never miss them, ever. I do like the first night on the ship in the dining room. Meeting the tablemates is always a joy for me. I do think it's special.

We missed the last night on a cruise and that was fine. We made sure to tip the night before. Now you can just put it on your seapass.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! All of you have been extremely helpful. jtmalt - the link you provided was really super. I think I may go for Tuesday and Thursday. The new Wednesday menu actually sounds pretty good. And, like many of you said, I would kind of like to thank my waitstaff personally on Saturday. However, if Tuesday and/or Thursday is full, I will probably not worry too much about choosing Saturday instead - I know I will be able to stop by before dinner and thank my waitstaff.

To Blueeyedkat - Our cruise is July 15-22. Your weather will probably be a little cooler, but we have 3 high schoolers so summer is our best option.

Also, I think I will take the advice of many of you and try for a 7:30 reservation each night. Based on your logic, that should be perfect.

And to Nancy - Not to worry, we will not miss either restaurant! Thanks again to all!

The menus are the same, according to my friend who did a B2B.

Jantra, I'm easy. Never met a cruise I didn't like. I evne loved the Crown Princess, despite the tip. Still, the Mariner is one of my favorite ships and her Western Itineray is great. I love Jamaica. Yes, I know, I'm almost alone in that. I've been fourteen times and want to do fifteen (only three times on a cruise ship).

Another thing you cannot miss. The Stingrays in the Caymans. It's beyond, outstanding.

So...formal nites are Mon & Thurs. Nliedel, you had mentioned that lobster is on Thursday, which would be a formal night, but the thread with menues showed lobster on Friday and the OP commented on how this was strange for it not to be a formal dinner. Since you have the most recent experience and menues can always rotate, I just wanted to clarify. Also, can anyone comment on how good the lobster dinner may or may not be? The only experience I have is with Disney and their lobster dinner was aweful! Both on Magic and Wonder.

Unless they've made some huge change I am not aware of, lobster is always on formal night.

Lobster on the cruise ships is not yummy. It's tails only and soggy. It's not the lobster, it's the atmosphere and the fun. I'd put RCI lobster on par with Red Lobster. Which is good. Don't get me wrong. It's not Maine lobster. So please, don't expect that. Still, anything dipped in butter, is good.

I'd say that the lobster on RCI is probably on par with Disney.

I've always had lobster on formal nights. You might want to buzz over to the reviews and see what night it's mentioned on in the recent reviews for your itinerary. People always mention the lobster.

Unless they've made some huge change I am not aware of, lobster is always on formal night.

Nancy, things have changed. On the current Mariner western itinerary, lobster night is definitely not on the second formal night. It is on Friday, Cozumel day. The second Formal night is on Thursday, Grand Cayman day.

The lobster is actually a rock lobster tail (4-5 oz) served with 3 shrimp. It actually wasn't soggy or poorly prepared, just not a very large portion (although you could, of course, ask for a second tail after everyone has been served).

Just off of the last western Mariner and lobster night is not on formal night it is Friday. Our waiter told us they changed it because alot of people skip formal nights but do not want to miss lobster night. By the way My lobster was really good better than any I have had at Red Lobster... Do not miss it if you like lobster!

We opted to hit Portofino on the last night of our 5-night Explorer last year - I remembered from the prior year that I just didn't care for the offerings in the dining room that night (you can check menus in advance). We also had late seating, so booked for 7 p.m. That got us out early enough to go have dessert (well, just coffee after that meal) with our tablemates, say our goodbyes and hand out tips. Worked perfectly. Of course, we had let everyone know in advance what we would be doing.

Menu-wise, the last night is a good night to miss. As stated by others, it is a good day to say your goodbyes. But if you stop in the main dining room before or after Chops/Portifino, you'd be fine. The menu that day is rather blah.

Lobster was on Friday, second formal night on Thursday.

Humm...Just one more thing I just remembered. We will be on the Mariner (western) but our Thursday is actually Thanksgiving. Any thoughts on it being formal or not? Lobster on Thanksgiving sounds great, but does anyone have experience or any thoughts on RC changing up the menu for this day?

Lobster on the cruise ships is not yummy. It's tails only and soggy. It's not the lobster, it's the atmosphere and the fun. I'd put RCI lobster on par with Red Lobster. Which is good. Don't get me wrong. It's not Maine lobster. So please, don't expect that. Still, anything dipped in butter, is good.

I've always had lobster on formal nights. You might want to buzz over to the reviews and see what night it's mentioned on in the recent reviews for your itinerary. People always mention the lobster.

Unfortunately, they don't even give you a little dish of melted butter anymore--now, they just dump some on your plate. Ick!

Unfortunately, they don't even give you a little dish of melted butter anymore--now, they just dump some on your plate. Ick!

OK--now that is strange! :eek: I love crab and lobster and dipping in my little mini bowl of butter. I wonder if I should bring my own little dish :D

Also, I am so upset that they will not waitlist me for Main Dining. I chose late dining originally because that worked well for us on Disney. We've heard here that the kids' events (we have boys 9 and 13) all start around the same time as late dining. Any advice? I hate to skip our dining experience, and our kids really enjoyed it on our Disney cruise.

Can someone point me in the direction of the current menus for the western please? Also, is there somewhere you can check on-lne before you go to confirm these? Do you get this kind of informtion before you go?

Sorry for all the questions but this will be our first RCCL cruise :)

Thanks

Jenk

Your best bet, to see current menus, is http://www.cruiseclues.com

There's no where to go to make sure it's 100% right, that I know of. If it's really bothering you, go to a current Roll Call for your itinerary and ask if someone will let you know what's what. Find a lively roll call. Someone will help you. That too, is not a 100% guarantee. On some level, you're leaping into the abyss. :)

From what I have read, on Western cruises, the formal night is Thursday because Friday is a late night in Cozumel. Lobster is served on Friday night and there were a lot of complaints regarding that recently. (Because of being in port late, many people didn't get the lobster.)

I didn't think the lobster was particularly good. They put some kind of herbs or something on it, and to me that ruins the taste. I don't think if I missed it, for me anyway, it would be a big deal.

Katie

Archived