1388 1nd 1688 Voyager class

We had 1388 on Mariner. I'm not sure if the actual square footage is larger, but the cabin is wider than a typical D1 and somewhat shorter, so it certainly feels like there's a lot more space to move about in. It's hard to describe the shape - it's more square, and the back wall (with the window and door to the balcony) is on a bit of a diagonal.

Now, most people LOVE these corner afts because of the larger space and huge baclonies, but there are a few cons too. First, there's no breeze coming across the back so it can get stifling hot out there, especially if you are traveling during the summer. There is a pocket in the corner that's covered/shady, but the air gets trapped and it can feel like an oven under there. We were pretty much unable to use the balcony at all during our cruise because it was way too hot.

As well, on Voyager class ships, the infrastructure of the ship blocks the view somewhat. The decks below are staggered outward, so you can't look directly down into the water - in fact, it's pretty far out. There are criss-crosses of beams, and one comes down low across the balcony, and if you don't duck under it, well....let's just say I hit my head a few times.

There's a support pole at the foot of the bed inside the cabin that was of no consequence - it didn't bother us at all. We didn't find the walk to the cabin to be so bad, in fact, the aft bank of elevators was pretty close by. We never had soot on the balcony, but in the mornings, the balcony was often soaking wet from the run-off of water that was used to clean the Windjammer windows and open decks above. We never had any issues with noise from above.

As many here on CC know, I always speak up for the corner afts. I suppose DonnaK is right about most things she's said. The aforementioned problems weren't problems for us; granted we've not really cruised in them at summertime. Still, Caribbean seems to be pretty stable in temperature really. Views are still great once you adjust to the superstructure. Hey, I guess if folks don't get so crazy about them that's easier for us to get them!

Unlike DonnaK, we have always had a lovely breeze on the balcony of 1688. We particularly enjoy the covered shady area to avoid the sun. We spent many hours on the balcony of 1688 and enjoyed every minute of it. I think the difference must be in sailing over the summer versus spring. I've always had that cabin in April and the balcony was just perfect for us (nice breeze and never too hot). I did hit my head on the support pole once though. After that I arranged the furniture in a way that kept me from walking into the pole. I don't recall my balcony being wet, but I guess since we did have a breeze it could have dried more quickly and I just didn't notice it having been wet. As far as looking down at the water....I could definitely look down from 1688. Here is a photo I took from the Windjammer looking down at my balcony. As you can see, the water is straight down and there is not obstruction of the view from 1688. My experience was on Explorer and I also had the same wonderful experience in the deck 10 aft/corner cabin on Freedom (1700). I'd book these cabins again in a heartbeat. :D

1042736752036355651S425x425Q85.jpg

My experience was on Explorer and I also had the same wonderful experience in the deck 10 aft/corner cabin on Freedom (1700). I'd book these cabins again in a heartbeat. :D

Welcome aboard, friend. I knew you'd be right behind me. Usually, you beat me to these discussions. Hey Bonnie, maybe we speak up too often in favor of these cabins. Someday we'll have trouble booking them.

Welcome aboard, friend. I knew you'd be right behind me. Usually, you beat me to these discussions. Hey Bonnie, maybe we speak up too often in favor of these cabins. Someday we'll have trouble booking them.

I hear what you're saying! :) There seems to be a lot of attention paid to hump cabins right now, so perhaps those "humpers" will draw some of the folks away and leave the primo cabins for those of us who prefer it in the aft! ;) (okay, get your minds out of the gutter! :eek: You KNOW what I was talking about!) :D

I hear what you're saying! :) There seems to be a lot of attention paid to hump cabins right now, so perhaps those "humpers" will draw some of the folks away and leave the primo cabins for those of us who prefer it in the aft! ;) (okay, get your minds out of the gutter! :eek: You KNOW what I was talking about!) :D

Too late to plead innocence now!:cool:

The square footage of each cabin in a catagory (except for handicap rooms) is the same, even if the configuration is a bit different. The balconies are the only things that are larger aft.

Actually, this isn't true. The category D1 aft cabins on deck 10 of Voyager-class ships (at least on Explorer) are about 4 feet longer than the side D1s. Also on Vision-class ships the category JS aft cabins on deck 8 are actually smaller than their side counterparts. I'm sure there are other variances as well but these are the ones I've seen with my own eyes. ;) So, the square footage does vary from cabin to cabin and ship to ship. That is why these boards are so valuable. You can talk to people who have first-hand information about these variances that the reps at the cruiselines have no knowlege of.

We had 1688 on the Mariner in Dec. 2005. We loved it and have booked again this coming Dec. 9th. I requested the cabin when we booked back in Oct. 2006 but were confirmed in 1390 another aft cabin just down the hall. The T/A e-mailed me about 2 months later that we had been confirmed for 1688, we can't wait.

Bob:)

Archived