attire

...but kathyr didn't go to formal night in the dining room in her hubby's "comfort level". They went to Chops! And her hubby is considering renting a tux for their next cruise so they won't have to miss formal night. Classy folks, kathyr and her DH.

...but kathyr didn't go to formal night in the dining room in her hubby's "comfort level". They went to Chops! And her hubby is considering renting a tux for their next cruise so they won't have to miss formal night. Classy folks, kathyr and her DH.

Because that was their comfort level. My DH is comfortable going to dining room in khakis.

It's funny...telling him about this discussion I keep having on these boards...he's wondering if everyone is going to walk by the table and pull up the tablecloth to check out his pants. Honestly, no one will even NOTICE what he is wearing. That's one thing that makes this issue so insane.

He and I are both amazed how much people want to control what other people wear when it doesn't pertain to them. Some serious control issues or something...

It's your vacation. You are paying for it. Royal Caribbean is not a host inviting you to a party or a wedding...they are people you have paid to provide a service. My waiter will not even see what dh is wearing under the table. Craziness...

Dress how you feel comfortable. I can't see it more plainly than that.

Jen

Because that was their comfort level. My DH is comfortable going to dining room in khakis.

It's funny...telling him about this discussion I keep having on these boards...he's wondering if everyone is going to walk by the table and pull up the tablecloth to check out his pants. Honestly, no one will even NOTICE what he is wearing. That's one thing that makes this issue so insane.

He and I are both amazed how much people want to control what other people wear when it doesn't pertain to them. Some serious control issues or something...

It's your vacation. You are paying for it. Royal Caribbean is not a host inviting you to a party or a wedding...they are people you have paid to provide a service. My waiter will not even see what dh is wearing under the table. Craziness...

Dress how you feel comfortable. I can't see it more plainly than that.

Jen

You haven't even been on an RC cruise yet, have you??? Hardly a knowledgeable resource on the subject. :rolleyes:

To the OP, on the ROYAL CARIBBEAN cruises I have been on, the vast majority of cruisers dress as "suggested" on formal night. I don't even recall seeing anyone dressed casually in the dining room (for late seating). So dress up a little - if you like - and enjoy your evening. :) You may want to take the opinions of those with no similar experience with a grain of salt. ;)

Windjammer Cafe is a casual buffet - - alternative to the dining room. There are many choices, but I found that the food was better in the dining room.

If you want to avoid formal night, but don't want to miss out on the food offered that evening, simply order room service. Anything on the dining room menu is available from room service.

Lobster tails are often served on formal night.

I'm sorry to disagree with you but you can't get everything on the dinner menu at room service. For example, the first formal night is filet mignon, and room service does NOT have that. Lobster night, they WILL NOT deliver lobster, so to tell someone to order room service and expect what is on the dining room menu is not true.

They do have a similiar menu for room service, but the "hot items" (not temperature wise) are not on the room service menu.

If you don't want to go to dinner in the dining room on formal night, you can go to Windjammer, order room service from the menu on TV, or if your ship has a specialty restaurant, ie Portofino or Chops, you can pay extra and go there.

I won't get into the discussion of what to wear as we all have our opinions and nothing is going to change them. There are suggested guidelines, and what you do with them is your choice.

Katie

You haven't even been on an RC cruise yet, have you??? Hardly a knowledgeable resource on the subject. :rolleyes:

To the OP, on the ROYAL CARIBBEAN cruises I have been on, the vast majority of cruisers dress as "suggested" on formal night. I don't even recall seeing anyone dressed casually in the dining room (for late seating). So dress up a little - if you like - and enjoy your evening. :) You may want to take the opinions of those with no similar experience with a grain of salt. ;)

But I've done my research and heard from MANY people on the board that a lot of people do not dress formally on RC. My sister-in-law just returned from a 5 night RC cruise and she agrees with me. Lots of posters have seconded.

I'm not telling anyone NOT to dress up. I'm telling them no one will kick them out and they have every right NOT to.

I am not telling you how to dress. I expect the same courtesy from you. To each his own. Just as I would not tell you how to raise your kids, how to enjoy your cruise, etc.

Jen

"My dh will wear khakis on formal nights and wear jeans the rest of the time as that is how he is most comfortable."

I don't understand. I've been wearing all kinds of pants for maybe 50 years or so. Will someone please tell me why jeans are more comfortable than khakis?? Pants are pants as long as they fit properly. What am I missing here?

My guess is it depends on what the word "comfortable" means. If a person always wears jeans every day for everything they do, then I will guess being opposed to wearing something "different" is really the bottom line here.

Myself, I wear jeans to cut the grass and paint the house, I perfer to dress up a bit to go to a sit down dinner with 1000 other people. I look at it as the proper "etiquette" for the occasion.

But I won't even notice others because I'll be paying full attention to my DW and my dinner.

But I've done my research and heard from MANY people on the board that a lot of people do not dress formally on RC. My sister-in-law just returned from a 5 night RC cruise and she agrees with me. Lots of posters have seconded.

I'm not telling anyone NOT to dress up. I'm telling them no one will kick them out and they have every right NOT to.

I am not telling you how to dress. I expect the same courtesy from you. To each his own. Just as I would not tell you how to raise your kids, how to enjoy your cruise, etc.

Jen

I'm not really concerned with what you expect from me. You just haven't been on an RC cruise yet and so have no real experience with the cruise line under discussion.

I want the OP to get answers to her questions - IMHO responses based on actual experience vs. "research" are more relevant.

I think what some new cruisers miss when coming to this board (or any other) is they are communicating with a very, very small population of cruisers. There may be thousands registered, but there aren't that many posting, compared to the millions of people cruising each year.

I've sailed with RCCL 18 times, Celebrity 3, and a few other lines, too. It still find that on formal night on all these ships the VAST majority of people wear:

Men

dress slacks

shirt

tie

jacket

Women

dressy outfit, or

floorlength gown

The men's attire can be a tux, suit, jacket and slacks, but the items above are in the majority.

That is fact, based on decades of observation.

Now, we take into consideration what the cruise line suggests. It does not matter whether it's requested, suggested, expected, etc. It is what it is: the cruise line's idea of what's appropriate, and a majority of people dress accordingly.

So, it's a choice of dressing like the majority or not. Simple.

If one chooses not to, then that's fine. However, a new cruiser is entitled to the facts of what most cruisers do. Then they can decide on their own.

My point is that no one will kick you out of the dining room for wearing khakis or not wearing a tie, so if that is what you are more comfortable wearing, it's fine. If you are NOT comfortable being underdressed, dress up. To each his own...

Jen

I keep telling myself to retire from these weekly discussions on here about formal attire and what you can get away with vs. what you should actually do. It gets nowhere and just riles me...but why not one more time.

When "no one will kick you out..." is our guiding ethic for whether or not we're going to respect tradition and the suggested guidelines of any organization, I personally find that a sad commentary on society. When "you paid for it, it's your vacation" is the gold standard for decision making, again sad. I'd be the first to say that a suit is within etiquette for formal night. I could even see where a well chosen sportcoat/slacks could be really well dressed. It doesn't have to be a tux. Formal night is a grand tradition of cruising, and we enjoy the connection with that civilized practice. While I'm setting myself up for flame, let me live it up and say what no one else apparently is willing to admit--it does bother me to see others not respect the requested guidelines. Although I love my DW dearly, I am distracted by others not dressed somewhere within the bandwidth that is "formal." Before you brand me as strange or whatever, lets apply your own logic: I'm entitled to be bothered by others disrespecting the cruiseline's wishes because it's my vacation and I paid for it. No stranger than someone flaunting that they won't be "kicked out" on their vacation.

I can't speak for RCCL, my first cruise with them will be Aug. 2008. I've been on Celebrity Bermuda cruises twice. The first time I demanded my husband bring a couple of suits since i told him almost EVERYONE DRESSES UP. Well I felt pretty stupid when we went to formal night and we saw most men in sports jackets and dress pants or polo shirts and dockers and few in jeans. Some men had suits and almost none wore tuxedos. On the second cruise, he skipped the suit and wore the dockers. He was hardly out of place. I don't know why people want to instill some sort of James Cameron Titanic like experience on everyone else. We have to dress up everyday for work, why would I want to lug extra clothing on the plane on a paid cruise in 90 weather. Other people don't wear suits ever, why would they start on their vacations? If you want to dress up, do it, you will have great pictures and what better excuse for shopping? But please don't try to convince the rest of us we are somehow lacking class.

I can't speak for RCCL, my first cruise with them will be Aug. 2008. I've been on Celebrity Bermuda cruises twice. The first time I demanded my husband bring a couple of suits since i told him almost EVERYONE DRESSES UP. Well I felt pretty stupid when we went to formal night and we saw most men in sports jackets and dress pants or polo shirts and dockers and few in jeans. Some men had suits and almost none wore tuxedos. On the second cruise, he skipped the suit and wore the dockers. He was hardly out of place. I don't know why people want to instill some sort of James Cameron Titanic like experience on everyone else. We have to dress up everyday for work, why would I want to lug extra clothing on the plane on a paid cruise in 90 weather. Other people don't wear suits ever, why would they start on their vacations? If you want to dress up, do it, you will have great pictures and what better excuse for shopping? But please don't try to convince the rest of us we are somehow lacking class.

I just did a search on this entire thread, and the word "class" only comes up (besides your reference above) in one post complimenting someone's husband.

Please do not make our comments in favor of wearing clothes according to the suggested guidelines, into insults, because they are not meant to be.

No one is accusing anyone else of lacking class. We are merely encouraging people to follow guidelines, and I posted what I have seen a large majority of cruiser doing on cruises over a very long period of time.

I keep telling myself to retire from these weekly discussions on here about formal attire and what you can get away with vs. what you should actually do. It gets nowhere and just riles me...but why not one more time.

When "no one will kick you out..." is our guiding ethic for whether or not we're going to respect tradition and the suggested guidelines of any organization, I personally find that a sad commentary on society. When "you paid for it, it's your vacation" is the gold standard for decision making, again sad. I'd be the first to say that a suit is within etiquette for formal night. I could even see where a well chosen sportcoat/slacks could be really well dressed. It doesn't have to be a tux. Formal night is a grand tradition of cruising, and we enjoy the connection with that civilized practice. While I'm setting myself up for flame, let me live it up and say what no one else apparently is willing to admit--it does bother me to see others not respect the requested guidelines. Although I love my DW dearly, I am distracted by others not dressed somewhere within the bandwidth that is "formal." Before you brand me as strange or whatever, lets apply your own logic: I'm entitled to be bothered by others disrespecting the cruiseline's wishes because it's my vacation and I paid for it. No stranger than someone flaunting that they won't be "kicked out" on their vacation.

I could not agree with you more. Very well put. I said this in another thread and I'll say it again. The dining rooms on these Royal Caribbean ships are gorgeous. I just don't understand why people would not want to dress up and look good. It is a beautiful dining room setting. Just my opinion. I personally think dress pants are more comfortable then jeans or any other kind of pants. Maybe I'm just weird, I don't know.:p

I just did a search on this entire thread, and the word "class" only comes up (besides your reference above) in one post complimenting someone's husband.

Please do not make our comments in favor of wearing clothes according to the suggested guidelines, into insults, because they are not meant to be.

No one is accusing anyone else of lacking class. We are merely encouraging people to follow guidelines, and I posted what I have seen a large majority of cruiser doing on cruises over a very long period of time.

Don't worry Peggy, I'll keep the tradition alive for ya! I plan on cruising for a long time!:D

When posters make references to a persons manners and etiquette based on what they plan to wear to dinner, you are making judgements about them. Maybe that is not your intention and maybe it is not even the intention of the poster that said it but it certainly comes across as smug and condesending. I don't even know who said it, but one of the first responses to the OP said that if the posters spouse did not want to dress up they could eat at Windjammer. That's crazy. As long as they (or anyone else for that matter) are not wearing anything on RCCL prohibited list, they should eat in the main dining room.

When posters make references to a persons manners and etiquette based on what they plan to wear to dinner, you are making judgements about them. Maybe that is not your intention and maybe it is not even the intention of the poster that said it but it certainly comes across as smug and condesending. I don't even know who said it, but one of the first responses to the OP said that if the posters spouse did not want to dress up they could eat at Windjammer. That's crazy. As long as they (or anyone else for that matter) are not wearing anything on RCCL prohibited list, they should eat in the main dining room.

When you are speaking of things such as forms of dress, the subject IS etiquette, and voicing differing opinions is NOT insulting or passing judgement. If it is, then the cruise line itself is insulting and passing judgement on it's very own customers, because it is THEY who suggest the Windjammer for casual dining, and they who suggest certain styles of clothing for the dining room.

I love when people say nobody should judge anyone else. Are you serious? Everyone including you judge people based on how they look and what they wear. Doesn't make the judgements accurate or meaningful, but as humans we all do it. I mean if I walk into a dark alley and I see kids wearing gang clothing, I make a judgement that I made a bad decision walking into that alley. When you go to formal dinner with the host expecting fomal wear in your tennis shoes and blue jeans you have likewise made a bad decision. :D

jc

pcur and CLQ have expressed themselves so eloquently that there really is nothing else to say. Please OP make your own decision and please try to see beyond anyone telling you what to do ....on either side of the issue...neither pcur or CLQ have expressed any judgements against any other posts but have stated quite clearly what it means to have good manners and a sense of etiquette. If you are serious about what to wear and where to wear it try to read the RC guidelines and seriously use your own judgement. Have a great cruise and remember when you are on the cruise it doesn't matter what other people say or think you are there to enjoy and relax. The people here try to give guidance and some feel that if they speak louder than others you will listen to them and not your own good common sense. But....they don't matter on the cruise. Go enjoy!

So is the Fillet and Lobster tail supposed to be a reward for dressing up? I'd understand just eating in the Windjammer or getting room service if I don't want/don't like dressing formally but to not have the OPTION of eating the same food somewhere else forces some folks to eat in the dining room that might prefer not to.

I have no interest in ruining some fragile soul's evening. I know I'm from the sticks and I'm not polite company. I'm also not into two hour dinners.

Why can't I get the same food elsewhere? Maybe it is a class issue.

I happen to love a good rare fillet. I wouldn't want to miss out on a special dinner.

So is the Fillet and Lobster tail supposed to be a reward for dressing up? I'd understand just eating in the Windjammer or getting room service if I don't want/don't like dressing formally but to not have the OPTION of eating the same food somewhere else forces some folks to eat in the dining room that might prefer not to.

I have no interest in ruining some fragile soul's evening. I know I'm from the sticks and I'm not polite company. I'm also not into two hour dinners.

Why can't I get the same food elsewhere? Maybe it is a class issue.

I happen to love a good rare fillet. I wouldn't want to miss out on a special dinner.

Filet and lobster are not necessarily on the menu on formal night. It varies from ship to ship, and sometimes from sailing to sailing, depending on the whim of the chef.

I wouldn't call those large shrimp they serve, lobster. I don't get the fascination with the overcook buggers, but to each his own.

I think some of the reasons for dressing up in this thread are some of the best stated, most considerate responses to the weekly formal night debate ever posted on the boards. Bravo!

Not that you need my 2 cents, but sometimes it's nice to be patted on the back.

Archived