Formal Night Question?

DaisyGirl55

Of the 2 formal nights on my 7-night cruise to Alaska next month, can anyone tell me which is the more formal of the two? On Carnival, the night of the Captain's Party is usually the more "formal" dress up night. Is there any difference on Celebrity? Will it be indicated in my daily news sheet?

Of my 2 dresses, one is a bit more dressier than the other, and I want to wear the right dress for the right night.

You could consider the second one (or the last on any X-cruise) as the most formal. It's the one where you can order lobster, at the end there's a baked alaska parade and at midnight the grand buffet.

More experienced X-cruisers, correct me if I'm wrong ! :)

If one dress is more snug than the other, wear that one first! The food is so good that if you wait to wear one that is just a little tight, it may be more so later in the week! But it's true - usually people are more dressed up on the first formal night, though technically there is no indication that one is more formal than the other. After all, formal is formal.

2 posters with 2 different answers.....:confused:

maybe it is different on the smaller ships than on the larger? (mercury vs infinity) DH is wearing a fancier shirt/tie combo for the more formal of the 2 nights, and I have a fancier dress. Sure hate to wear the wrong dress on the wrong night!

Hi, You will be fine......either way.:D :)

The Midnight Grand buffet is the 2nd formal night....but I dress up

formally both evenings.

Quote:

"Sure hate to wear the wrong dress on the wrong night"

You won't be in the wrong dress!:D

On our cruise in March, I really didn't notice any difference in attire from one formal night to the other. Most men were in tuxes and women were in a variety of styles and lengths of dresses both nights.

On our cruise in March, I really didn't notice any difference in attire from one formal night to the other. Most men were in tuxes and women were in a variety of styles and lengths of dresses both nights.

Ditto.

Ditto number two. Carmen makes a good point about a snug fitting dress. My main concern is how many notches are on my belt.

Phil

If I thought there was a difference on our 7-day Alaska trip, it's that more people had more energy for dressing up earlier in the cruise, and that, by the second one, folks were either too lazy (relaxed, happy) or too 'fluffy' from eating too much, or too focused on packing, to be as dressed up. The Alaska cruise also had a greater number of passengers who weren't all that 'formal.' Didn't bother me...wore my tuxedo both nights, enjoyed my dinner with my tablemates (Yes, even the guy in the tweed jacket and dockers!:D ) and had a great cruise overall.

If you REALLY want a more formal experience on the Alaska cruise, might I suggest making reservations in the specialty restaurant on a formal night? Some people feel they're missing the best night's food in the dining room, but I really felt it was a nice occasion to dress up, eat fine food with excellent service...and it's a little more romantic, as well.:)

No matter what, have fun!

Andrew

I have never really noticed a difference except seems to be more enthusiastic the first formal night and, as noted in other posts, usually easier to get into clothing. I tend to think of Captain's party night as the more special despite the lobster tails and baked Alaska for the finale.

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the time ya'll took to answer my question. I am leaving in less than 30 days, and I am so excited I am about to pop!

While my Roll Call never took off, I will proudly wear my Cruise Critic sweatshirt on my cruise in hopes that I may meet someone who is on my cruise that is also a member of this great community. And if not, I may be able to introduce a newbie to the community who will most likely become as addicted to it as I have become! :D

While my Roll Call never took off, I will proudly wear my Cruise Critic sweatshirt on my cruise in hopes that I may meet someone who is on my cruise that is also a member of this great community. And if not, I may be able to introduce a newbie to the community who will most likely become as addicted to it as I have become! :D

You may get some special treatment by wearing that shirt as well. A lot of the crew are well-aware of what Cruise Critic is.

Archived