Packing liquids on carry on, HELP

Okay I know you have told me before, but I leave tomorrow and need to know just how the rule works. Am I only allowed one ziplock baggy with 3, 3ounces or less of liquid in them is this right? If not please let me know. Also will they toss our your mascara or lipstick, or anything that is a 'solid' like deordorant??? I have not flown since this new packing thing has came about. I have flown since the 'shoe' rule, when they have you take your shoes off!!! Wonder what the next new thing will be hahha Hope to hear from someone soon.. Thanks,:)

If you pack all of your cosmetics in you checked baggage, you can take your makeup when you travel by air. The 3 oz rule applies to CARRY ON items. The 3 oz rule only applies to air travel. It does not apply to the cruise ship.

You are not limited to just 3 items at 3 ounces or less but you are limited to what will comfortably fit inside a quart-size zip lock bag. I just flew last week and solids are not taken - just gels and liquids. You do have to lay this zip lock bag separate from your carry-on luggage when going through the screening process. The only exception to the 3-ounce rule seems to be medically necessary liquid products but I'm sure you'll need a prescription for those. Have a great cruise.

The rule is 3/1/1

3 oz or less, 1 quart size (they are sticklers for the quart size) bag and only 1 bag. Deoderant, mascara, lipstick all go in the bag. ANY liquid or gel. If you have a liquid in your bag you will be searched and it holds up the line.

There are, what I call, screamers at the front of most lines, I've flown a lot lately, that will be yelling out the rules to you.

You can pack liquids in your checked luggage and will have no issues getting them on the ship.

The rule is one 1-quart ziplock bag per passenger. Each container inside the bag can contain no more than 3 oz. Some folks are trying to go thru with containers which hold more than 3 oz but are only 1/2 or 1/3 full. From everything I have read, those things get tossed so stick to bottles, jars, tubes which clearly can hold no more than 3 oz. They don't toss out solids,which you can leave in your carry-on or checked luggage. Be sure they are true solids-gels are considered liquids and must be in the ziplock bag.

They will not toss out mascara-just put it in the plastic bag. Solid tube lipstick does not have to be in the bag, lip gloss in a tube does.

I only put in the zip-lock bag those liquid items which I could not replace or which would be too expensive to replace-for example: my contact lenses, a prescription cream, my prescription eye drops and some face products that are expensive, a small bottle of hand lotion and Visine for use on the plane. Everything else (make-up, hair products, contact lens solution, etc), I pack in checked luggage.

I have traveled 2 times this year. I put my items around 8 of them in a gallon baggie. I didn't put lipstick or make up in just left it in my make up bag in my backpack they hardly looked. One time I forgot to put the baggie in the bucket and left it in my back pack and nothing was said.

I have traveled 2 times this year. I put my items around 8 of them in a gallon baggie. I didn't put lipstick or make up in just left it in my make up bag in my backpack they hardly looked. One time I forgot to put the baggie in the bucket and left it in my back pack and nothing was said.

you were lucky. The woman in front of me had her whole gallon bag dumped, last Wednesday.

We just got back from flying the the BVI's. We had several different liquids in a gallon size ziplock. We also had a few different ziplocks full of different liquids since we don't check any luggage. All of them were 3 oz. pkgs or less. We had no problems.

Lipstick and deoderant were both considered liquids. I was told if its not solid then its a liquid. I had to go back thru security and check my carry on bag or thow out a couple of items that were too many oz to go into the bag.

coming back they went thru every item I had and pawed thru my purse and put the lipstick in the plastic bag and scolded me.

Those who didn't have there items in a 1qt bag were indeed lucky. I had purchased a 4 oz bottle of Hot Sauce in Mexico as a gift. I tossed it in my carryon & forgot all about it, UNTIL I went thru secrurity & noticed the guard staring intently at my bag. Sure enough, my bag was taken aside & searched. Out came the offending item, the guard looked at me & said it's to big & headed to the garbage can. I'm glad it only cost a $1.........

Also, all items must be in their original containers, not those plastic travel-sized containers you can fill yourself.

I had no trouble with getting my 'filled by me' plastic containers on, and I have traveled a lot in the past two weeks. How would they even know that what you say is in an original container is what is in it? It would be easy to dump something out and fill it with something else. Some airports want the liquids in a separate tray; at others they stayed in my carryon and nothing was said.

The items do not have to be in their original containers, IME, but you should use a bottle that has the capacity printed on it - otherwise there's no way to confirm that it's the proper size. I use hotel shampoo bottles that have the capacity printed on them. I dump out the shampoo (or DH uses it first) and replace it with my own. If I use everything in the bottle, I just leave it behind when I'm on my way home. I also use the Clinique sample jars that hold just under 1 oz for creams & gel.

Any trip over 3 days and I need either to check my luggage or make sure what I need is waiting or available on the other end.

We flew last month first time since the new rules. Anything that is gel or liquid must be in a ziplock bag and put out seperately in the little boixes at the airport. My flight was an over night flight so I had contact lense solution. I told the screener along with some other ointment with an RX on it and no problem.

Lexi

Just pack all liquids in your checked bags--mascara and tube lipstick are fine to carry-on.

These airline rules don't apply to boarding the ship, so if you stay overnight pre-cruise, you can re-arrange your stuff and carry on whatever you want!

I just flew to San Diego where my sister flew in also. She came from Portland and had a carry on only. When she opened her suitcase, I asked her how she got her LARGE bottles of shampoo and hairspray etc. through security. I can't believe she didn't know about the rules. Then, to top it off, she discovered a KNIFE she had forgotten about. So much for security at the Portland airport. She checked her luggage when returning from San Diego because they had a table manned by two people collecting all banned materials. There is no way she could have carried it on.

There was quite a discussion on security while waiting for our plane. One lady had flown four times the past week and on her fourth flight they confiscated her Tide stain pen. Moral - you might get away with it once or twice, but it will catch up with you.

Just got back last week. They were not sticklers on the zip locked bag size . but I guess I was lucky in that I used a gallon size zip-locked bag and no one said anything until we came home from Puerto Rico. The guard caught it but let us go as only a few things were in it for 2 of us. He did make me put my Purel hand soap in the bag. Forgot we had deoderant in the bag and it went through as did a4.6 oz toothpaste. I did not even hand the bag over -but left it in the top of the carry on. Lipstick and mascara were not a problem in my purse-so some things are relaxed.

I would however use quart bags. They did not seem to be real fussy in having more than one.

If you have the opportunity to Valet check your luggage from the ship I would do it. Handed it over to Delta immediately after picking it up. We were given our boarding passes and luggage tags the night before and went straight through to security. The best 20.00 we have ever spent ($20 ea that is) You have to pre-arrange this several days ahead of time. We never did see it in the Compass but knew about it. YOu can pre-check two bags ea with this program.

Archived