What WAS she thinking?

kalamari

I am by no means a fashionista, but...last night saw a gal in a Japanese restaurant, late 40ish with a great figure. She was wearing a pretty red, long, tropical skirt with a tshirt and smart sandals.."great outfit" I thought. But, she had a dog purse..as in, it looked like one of those backpacks that three year olds use that are really a stuffed animal..but this one was a purse!

She was with her husband and another couple, no kids in site. Really wrecked what I thought was a lovely outfit for a summer night out.

Is this dog purse some kind of new trend? It was definately a purse, not a backpack or a pet carrier.

Menina

:D I think I saw the same woman on QM2 a little over a year ago. The dog purse must have meant something special to her, she even had it on formal night when she was in a cocktail dress. We saw her posing for formal pictures with the dog purse held in front of her.

It was kind of old (the purse, not her!), dirty and the pile on the purse was natty and pilled, definitely not a pretty sight!

Don't know if it's a new trend or what but I have spotted several purses like your description. Ugh! However, at my daughter's high school, there was a girl whose purse was an old cloth Hoover vacumn bag. I have to give her credit for the uniqueness.

Well, somehow I think a kid could maybe pull that off!

The formal and the dog purse: Maybe it really WAS her dog reincarnated into a purse?

Dog purse must have had some kind of signficance. Maybe she's one of those kind of people who is enmeshed with her dog. A good example of how one simple thing can ruin an otherwise great outfit!

Don't know if it's a new trend or what but I have spotted several purses like your description. Ugh! However, at my daughter's high school, there was a girl whose purse was an old cloth Hoover vacumn bag. I have to give her credit for the uniqueness.

Maybe the dog purse wouldn't have been so bad if she had taken it to the groomer's first!! I once gave my sister an armadillo purse -- as a joke -- but she loved it!!

well. I don't knopw how to break it to you, but as of last winter, those dog purses are Fashion. When I saw these come into the Buyer's office, we thought it was a joke. We carried something like six different dogs. Some to me were downright ugly. Darned if those lil puppies didn't fly off the store racks. So popular, they are still around this season.

Fashion. Sometimes it can't be explained.

All I can say was, the woman really wrecked a lovely outift!

You're right.. you just can't explain fashion! I adhere to my original opinion and think these purses are for people who are enmeshed with their dogs.

Why would a grown woman want to carry a dog purse? I also don't understand why a grown woman would want to wear anything that has a Disney character on it. I hate it when I go into a store and see pajamas with Winnie the Pooh or Tigger on them in women's lingerie. I also hate clothes with anything printed across the butt.....like shorts that say "hottie" across the butt. LOL. :D Others might tend to disagree with that declaration. :p

The dog purses belong in junior high. :rolleyes:

I agree..esp. about the name printed across the butt...like why does a woman who is in her 50's have to wear something on her butt that says "Juicy"..especially "when it's obvious"!

I guess I could see the trend maybe in a very cold winter climate with a fur coat, but again, it was 90 degrees and humid on Friday night when I saw the gal..her outfit would have had a great finished look if she had a little straw purse or even a clutch.

Why would a grown woman want to carry a dog purse? I also don't understand why a grown woman would want to wear anything that has a Disney character on it. I hate it when I go into a store and see pajamas with Winnie the Pooh or Tigger on them in women's lingerie. I also hate clothes with anything printed across the butt.....like shorts that say "hottie" across the butt. LOL. :D Others might tend to disagree with that declaration. :p

TOY section? Like I said..an adult who is enmeshed with her dog is a good candidate.

Speaking of..gal brought her dog in stabucks..managment told her politely the rule that she had to step outside and offered to bring her drink to her. Lady defiantly goes to the back of the store to sit one one of the cloth chairs and the DOG jumps up on the other one. Managment caught her and asked her again to leave and she had a hissy fit in front of everyone.

Manager said that if the board of health had walked in they could have faced a $5000 fine on the spot and been shut down for days for allowing an animal to remain that wasn't a dog for handicapped, etc..per Fla law.

Maybe they should have made the lady into a purse huh? She was the eptiome of enmeshment with her dog :)

I was in target this morning and found the dog purses that you're talking about. They're sold in the TOY section of the store. Why would adults use them? Who knows.

Maybe they could make doggie sweaters with screens of their owners on them..or a little purse for them to carry around their neck that looks like their owner's heads..like the medicine bags St. Bernards used to wear around their necks...

Ummm ... maybe the purse is her way of carrying around the ashes of her dearly departed and cremated dog. Foofie goes around the world with its former mistress.

I definitely agree about the Disney characters on clothing!!! However, I wonder if it sometimes a cultural thing.

My fiancé studied abroad in Tokyo and said that many women there just love cute little characters, to wear, to cling to their purses and cell phones, etc. I did see this phenomenon myself when I went over there to visit him. A lot of women I saw there dressed just BEAUTIFULLY and were very classy, however, they would often have some sort of character or cartoon somewhere. It didn't ruin their outfit, and sometimes added to their charm, but I don't think I could get away with it (and I'm 25, lol).

He said that men there tend to favor younger-looking women and it is a way for the ladies to keep up a youthful appearance. Not sure what I think of that one!

Perhaps the purse meant something special to her ... she could have had a special child/grandchild give it to her as she was walking out the door ... or a child that passed away and it was her way of having her with her.

I always wear one specific necklace when we go on a cruise ... some people like it ... some people think its really tacky ... but it was my mom's and it was a necklace I used to play with as a little girl 45-50 years ago .... It is now my way of taking my mom with me on a cruise ... my parent's never had the opportunity to go - they would have loved it, but instead my mom spent almost 15 years with Alzheimers ...

So perhaps the purse is a rememberance of a mother with Alzheimers that loved the purse and also loved to go to that restaurant .... so many different reasons to carry something that others might not look at the same. That is what makes us all so wonderful!! Jan

I still stick to my original opinion..that she was someone more likely enmeshed with her dog.

Perhaps the purse meant something special to her ... she could have had a special child/grandchild give it to her as she was walking out the door ... or a child that passed away and it was her way of having her with her.

I always wear one specific necklace when we go on a cruise ... some people like it ... some people think its really tacky ... but it was my mom's and it was a necklace I used to play with as a little girl 45-50 years ago .... It is now my way of taking my mom with me on a cruise ... my parent's never had the opportunity to go - they would have loved it, but instead my mom spent almost 15 years with Alzheimers ...

So perhaps the purse is a rememberance of a mother with Alzheimers that loved the purse and also loved to go to that restaurant .... so many different reasons to carry something that others might not look at the same. That is what makes us all so wonderful!! Jan

That is so sweet, wearing your mom's necklace. I too like to keep things close to me that belonged to loved ones.

I grew up in Enfield Maine! My grandmother had a favorite TA in bangor named Jan!

MAC

I am by no means a fashionista, but...last night saw a gal in a Japanese restaurant, late 40ish with a great figure. She was wearing a pretty red, long, tropical skirt with a tshirt and smart sandals.."great outfit" I thought. But, she had a dog purse..as in, it looked like one of those backpacks that three year olds use that are really a stuffed animal..but this one was a purse!

She was with her husband and another couple, no kids in site. Really wrecked what I thought was a lovely outfit for a summer night out.

Is this dog purse some kind of new trend? It was definately a purse, not a backpack or a pet carrier.

Menina

I saw these at the mall about a month ago. My 12 year old thought they were adorable. She could certainly get away with it... I wouldn't use it for a formal night or out to dinner, maybe to a picnic... :)

Menina

Who cares - as long as it wasn't her puppy ChaCha made into a purse.:eek:

Archived