Proof of Residency for Child

Customer Service for RCI did not give me a good feeling on this question. We are leaving July 15 on FOS and have 2 promenade rooms. My son and I are in one and my daughter and my adult niece in another. We got a discounted rate for being residents of CA. My niece is not a resident.

What have others done to prove a child is a resident? Cust. Service says the policy says a driver license is to be used. My daughter is only 12. Cust Service says it's up to the agent checking in discretion whether or not to accept something other than a drivers license.

I was going to bring a copy of her bank statement, her medical card, orthodontic bill showing she's a client etc. Have others done this and been accepted? Dont' want to get there and have to pay a higher rate.

I thought about a state ID card. (Cus. Serv guy said EVEN that may not be accepted as it's not a DRIVERS LICENSE!) Problem with that is that my daughter is leaving tomorrow for a 2 week trip to Italy with her dad. She is back only 1 week before we leave. HELP!

I seriously doubt that they will even check to see what her residency is!! If you're a CA resident and are her parent, then she should be accepted as one also.

If you want to go really prepared, bring her most recent report card from CA. That should be proof enough. Also, if she got her passport here in CA, the passport agency should read "Los Angeles", which might help.

Good luck & have fun! :)

Customer Service for RCI did not give me a good feeling on this question. We are leaving July 15 on FOS and have 2 promenade rooms. My son and I are in one and my daughter and my adult niece in another. We got a discounted rate for being residents of CA. My niece is not a resident.

What have others done to prove a child is a resident? Cust. Service says the policy says a driver license is to be used. My daughter is only 12. Cust Service says it's up to the agent checking in discretion whether or not to accept something other than a drivers license.

I was going to bring a copy of her bank statement, her medical card, orthodontic bill showing she's a client etc. Have others done this and been accepted? Dont' want to get there and have to pay a higher rate.

I thought about a state ID card. (Cus. Serv guy said EVEN that may not be accepted as it's not a DRIVERS LICENSE!) Problem with that is that my daughter is leaving tomorrow for a 2 week trip to Italy with her dad. She is back only 1 week before we leave. HELP!

State issued ID card should be ok, but the best scenario would have been to place someone in each stateroom when originally booked that did have the proper ID to show they were CA residents... perhaps to call RCI and ask to speak to a supervisor on this and explain the situation to them. I am actually surprised that this did not get attention brought to it when originally booked with your child being 12 years old and older niece not being a CA resident ? I would be calling the TA or whomever you booked with and get them to straighten this out and set your mind at ease.

I would think that as her parent that would be sufficient too! But the guy I was talking to just kept reciting policy and said that is what his supervisor said. I was not thrilled with that guy as he really wasn't letting me give my options, and he kept stating the state of Nevada! I told him repeatedly - California.

I don't have her current report card yet, but the other ones only show the school's name, not a city or state. I could save the envelope when it comes - should be within a week.

BUT, I shouldn't have to tote along mega documents showing this for a 12year old. I will take along a few documets showing the date and address with her name on it or reference to her. (Dental and orthodontic.) Her Kaiser card has "Northern California Region" which should be good. I will also have a prescription bottle, but the one I looked at only had the city, not the state as well.

I guess my big question is - do they play hardnose and only do a drivers license. (I told the guy not all adults have drivers license too!)

I think I may call back later to talk to someone else and see what answer I get. My travel agent is also looking into it.

The passport for my daughter does show San Francisco, CA. But my niece who just got her done, only show a governmental agency name. I will have to ask her where she got hers done. My kids got theirs renewed at the end of the year, while my niece just got hers for the first time.

I have one son that is 16 (with drivers liscense) and the other that is 2 months away from being 15. THEY say that I won't need anything but his birth certificate-BUT-I went last Thursday and paid($8.25 total) for a Florida State ID. Just for my peace of mind. -Will have those wonderful passports next time....:rolleyes:

I have the passports for entry, it is proof of state residency for the reduced room rate. I can try for a state card but that guy said that may not even be accepted - only a drivers license.

If all else, I will have my niece bring a bill - she has been living with me for the last year and should be considered a resident! But then her drivers licenses does not show the state of Calif., which seems to be the only thing RCI is sayin they will accept.

Seriously, I wouldn't overly stress about it. The kid is TWELVE. Definitely, yes, bring her report card and medical card, but beyond that I wouldn't worry. Just walk up to the registration desk, mention that your son and your daughter are in two different rooms, and I doubt it will even be an issue. If they do ask for some sort of verification, show them what you brought and remind them that she is TWELVE for pete's sake! :D

I guess it's always possible that you would wind up with a really snarky agent, but you could always ask to speak with a supervisor. I can't think of a single time that I've been checked in by somebody with an attitude, though. They're generally very friendly and kind, and if you are the same, I seriously don't foresee any problems. :)

I was hoping that would be the case. The last time we went everything was "FUN" at check in time. You would think phone support could be different.

I did find a letter from the school in March congratulating her on getting honor roll. This letter does have the school name and address on it and the letter is addressed to my daughter.

I agree - things should be easy. It's not like I am asking for a senior discount, don't have verification and look 21!

I guess going over prepared will insure Murphy law that they won't even check!

Wow, this is almost creepy how close this person's situation mimicks my own.

We're off to alaska in a few weeks and got the resident rate for both of the balcony cabins we've booked. Our two daughters 12, 14 will be in one, wife and I in the other. The 14 year old is from the US as she lives with her mom there and is not a resident, the 12 yera old lives with us, so IS a resident, but does not have ID. Provincial ID is not issued here to anyone under 14, so that is out.

What makes matters worse for us is that both our children have different last names than us (and each other). 12 year old has her father's last name, 14 year old has my "old" last name. (I changed my last name back to what I was born with some time after my daughter was born, but because we had split up and daughter lived with mom, daughter's name didn't change at the same time). Of course we have all the proper documents showing the legal name change for me, and birth certificates for both kids, but given the complexity of it all, we worry that joe worker person at the pier will cause a fuss.

I called Royal Caribbean and the lady on the phone said if I bring their birth certificate that show's we're the parents, that will be fine. I also got the impression that the person on the phone wasn't exactly sure of the policy, rather she just ASSUMED it would be okay.

It would be nice to know if Royal Caribbean could provide some assurance ahead of time.

Of course we have all the proper documents showing the legal name change for me, and birth certificates for both kids, but given the complexity of it all, we worry that joe worker person at the pier will cause a fuss.

Holy cow . . . well, given that this "jane reader person at CC" can't follow the trail, you very well might have an issue at the pier! :D However, I agree that with birth certificates you should be fine.

The birth certificate does not prove residency, only where you were born. My niece who is travelling with me was born in California, but lives in Indiana. I am sure there are a LOT of people like us with kids in one room and adults in another. Most kids don't have any form of id. And stuff they do have don't necessarily have full addresses. The library cards, school id only state the name of the institution, not addreses or even a year. (except for some of the school id.) I feel lucky enough that I do have a few documents that has my daughters name on it with the home address, but I can't vouch for the people at the pier and how they are feeling. It would be good to get a straight answer from people at the pier and not someone just manning the phones. The travel docs should state in there what is valid documentation. What I did read was that it had to be government issued.

I actually didn't know I had a state residency rate until my travel agent told me when I made my final payment and the rate had gone down.

Wow, this is almost creepy how close this person's situation mimicks my own.

We're off to alaska in a few weeks and got the resident rate for both of the balcony cabins we've booked. Our two daughters 12, 14 will be in one, wife and I in the other. The 14 year old is from the US as she lives with her mom there and is not a resident, the 12 yera old lives with us, so IS a resident, but does not have ID. Provincial ID is not issued here to anyone under 14, so that is out.

What makes matters worse for us is that both our children have different last names than us (and each other). 12 year old has her father's last name, 14 year old has my "old" last name. (I changed my last name back to what I was born with some time after my daughter was born, but because we had split up and daughter lived with mom, daughter's name didn't change at the same time). Of course we have all the proper documents showing the legal name change for me, and birth certificates for both kids, but given the complexity of it all, we worry that joe worker person at the pier will cause a fuss.

I called Royal Caribbean and the lady on the phone said if I bring their birth certificate that show's we're the parents, that will be fine. I also got the impression that the person on the phone wasn't exactly sure of the policy, rather she just ASSUMED it would be okay.

It would be nice to know if Royal Caribbean could provide some assurance ahead of time.

WHOA!

And this is why I just left my last name as it was. I just *knew* that it would be easier if my children and I had the same last name. :) :) :)

I seriously doubt that they will even check to see what her residency is!! If you're a CA resident and are her parent, then she should be accepted as one also.

If you want to go really prepared, bring her most recent report card from CA. That should be proof enough. Also, if she got her passport here in CA, the passport agency should read "Los Angeles", which might help.

Good luck & have fun! :)

That's not necessarily correct. My 22 yr old daughter, was born & raised here in California, applied for her passport here in Southern California but her passport says it was issued in New Orleans. But yet, mine, my other daughter's, and my husband's all say Los Angeles.

"Domestic Travel

For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended.

In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or certified copy), plus a laminated picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required. Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth (except for new borns) are not acceptable.

For U.S. Naturalized citizens, in the absence of a passport, Naturalization papers (either original or notarized copy) plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required.

A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship.

Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID.

That's from (the path I took to that page):

Before You Board > What to Know Before You Go > Travel Documentation

Since your niece has been in CA a year, if that's the time to be a resident, could she get a CA license soon? I pretty much have always gotten a new license when I've moved to a new state, and it's always pretty quick turnaround time. Then you might not even have to worry about HER (and maybe get her a lower rate?).

My niece is not getting a Ca Drivers license. She is actually driving back to Indiana right before the cruise. She was out here in CA as a travelling nurse. She only meant to be here 3-6 months, mainly to visit family. Enjoyed herself with job and new friends,the time ended up being extended. Now she needs to start another job and prefer. to do outside of CA as then different tax laws come into play with state of residency etc.

She only had ID for her nursing license and a few credit card bills. (and paycheck stubs) My daughter was to be the resident way back when we booked. At the time we booked my TA was to send all docs for her, to her parents address in Indiana.

We should be able to use her paycheck stub for proof, unless RCI decides to play hardball and only use drivers license for proof. I can't believe they would do that.

Cruisin Kay D ... I would make sure you have a notorized letter of consent from the parents stating it's ok for you to travel with the kids and authorized to give medical attention. There are standard forms on the internet or I just make up my own stating childrens name, who will have guardianship, length of trip, location etc. I have this since I am divorced and it states to be able to take kids out of the country. I don't think I ever had to show it, but it is better to be prepared. All it takes is one kidnapping case and then they will reallly be cracking down on it.

"Domestic Travel

For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended.

In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or certified copy), plus a laminated picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required. Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth (except for new borns) are not acceptable.

For U.S. Naturalized citizens, in the absence of a passport, Naturalization papers (either original or notarized copy) plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required.

A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship.

Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID.

That's from (the path I took to that page):

Before You Board > What to Know Before You Go > Travel Documentation

This is simply the requirements for travel, NOT as proof of residency to qualify for the resident's rate. If you like quoting Royal Caribbean, try this one taken directly from the note that pops up when you select your state/province at time of booking:

Please Note: A valid driver's license, state-issued ID, or proper military identification will be required for validation at the pier. If age, state of residency, or military participation cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding.

Clearly, when the only "resident" in the kid's cabin will be our 12 year old who does not have a Driver's Licence and cannot get Provincial ID, this is a real concern.

I have the passports for entry, it is proof of state residency for the reduced room rate. I can try for a state card but that guy said that may not even be accepted - only a drivers license.

If all else, I will have my niece bring a bill - she has been living with me for the last year and should be considered a resident! But then her drivers licenses does not show the state of Calif., which seems to be the only thing RCI is sayin they will accept.

The person you spoke to is incorrect. A state ID card from a government agency (DMV) is sufficient proof that your daughter is a resident of CA. This could also be a state-issued junior or high-school ID card. My daughter was 17 on our last cruise this past March, and does not have a DL yet (she will next week tho - yeah!). She had to provide a STATE-issued ID card (as she is over 16) and her birth certificate in order to cruise.

You will be fine with a CA ID card, and only one person in the cabin must show proof of residency, so it doesn't matter if your niece has one as well (unless she is over 16).

Hope this helps!!!

The person you spoke to is incorrect. A state ID card from a government agency (DMV) is sufficient proof that your daughter is a resident of CA. This could also be a state-issued junior or high-school ID card. My daughter was 17 on our last cruise this past March, and does not have a DL yet (she will next week tho - yeah!). She had to provide a STATE-issued ID card (as she is over 16) and her birth certificate in order to cruise.

You will be fine with a CA ID card, and only one person in the cabin must show proof of residency, so it doesn't matter if your niece has one as well (unless she is over 16).

Hope this helps!!!

I also would suggest a state issued ID for your daughter. I really don't see how they can fight that. The cruiselines are getting tougher on residency discounts, but you should be fine with that. How old is your son? Is he older?

This is simply the requirements for travel, NOT as proof of residency to qualify for the resident's rate. If you like quoting Royal Caribbean, try this one taken directly from the note that pops up when you select your state/province at time of booking:

Please Note: A valid driver's license, state-issued ID, or proper military identification will be required for validation at the pier. If age, state of residency, or military participation cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding.

Clearly, when the only "resident" in the kid's cabin will be our 12 year old who does not have a Driver's Licence and cannot get Provincial ID, this is a real concern.

Yes, I know that there's a blurb about state residency. They show it everywhere. However, since a 12 year old is not going be booking a cruise on her own, that doesn't apply, and one must look elsewhere for the info. And the ONLY info they are asking for from a 12 year old is what I quoted.

It really seems that the agents like freaking people out (insisting to another person that a passport is required right now for cruising into Mexico, for one example) when it just doesn't seem the reality is going to be that difficult.

I also stand by my suggestion to have the niece get a CA license, since she's been there for a year. :)

1) My niece is leaving California as of July 9th - won't need a drivers license for California as well as it takes time to physically have one.

2) I have already booked my DMV appt. for my daughters ID card. Problem ... she left yesterday with her dad for 2 weeks in Italy - got her the first appt. I could for when she returns. The TA said to use the passport for the photo ID and the receipt from the ID card for proof. (She has had a couple of calls with RCI.)

3) My son is 14 and also does not have an ID card.

Bottom line ... I am taking copies of my daughters savings bank statement and a tax document that has the address with her name on it. I will have a receipt for the ID card (since I'm guessing it takes a bit to have one made unless they make them there now.) My niece will also take a paycheck stub and a copy of her CA nursing license. Depending on how tough they want to be, all this should be sufficient. (As well as my CDL)

I am just hoping to have a nice agent and have no checking done whatsoever! :)

Archived