binoculars necessary?

plenox

We ordered the binoculars last night using the coupon. The invoice did not mention the monocular though. But I am sure we will be happy with just the binoculars. Thanks for all the help.

Our order placed on 07 Feb didn't show the monocular. We did not receive it with the shipment even though their website showed it was free when we made our choice prior to making the payment. We can live without the $16.95 item. My DW liked their binoculars so much that we're discussing the need for another or go with one of us using the camera and one using binoculars.

We ordered the binoculars last night using the coupon. The invoice did not mention the monocular though. But I am sure we will be happy with just the binoculars. Thanks for all the help.

I added the monocular to my shopping cart. It initially shows up for $16.95. By the time I was ready to pay, there is a credit for $16.95. So my invoice has both VISTA binoculars and monocular. Adding the SAVE15 coupon code, I got both for $100 plus shipping.

I added the monocular to my shopping cart. It initially shows up for $16.95. By the time I was ready to pay, there is a credit for $16.95. So my invoice has both VISTA binoculars and monocular. Adding the SAVE15 coupon code, I got both for $100 plus shipping.

That's how I did when I got a set for my parents. Thanks a lot for the coupon code

First, thanks to all for the great info on binoculars. Having read the threads here and web research, I'm ready to buy my first pair. But I still can't decide: 1) The Summits are not that much more than the Vistas. Is there any significant difference vis a vis the cost? 2) There is relatively little cost difference between the 8x42 and the 10x42. Is one more practical, or easier to use, or more appropriate for various settings? 3) There are now the 2010 Vistas, with "improvements". Again, is there any practical difference between the Vista and the 2010 Vista? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First, thanks to all for the great info on binoculars. Having read the threads here and web research, I'm ready to buy my first pair. But I still can't decide: 1) The Summits are not that much more than the Vistas. Is there any significant difference vis a vis the cost? 2) There is relatively little cost difference between the 8x42 and the 10x42. Is one more practical, or easier to use, or more appropriate for various settings? 3) There are now the 2010 Vistas, with "improvements". Again, is there any practical difference between the Vista and the 2010 Vista? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have both summit and Vista and can tell the summit is definitely better than VISTA. It is tad sharper than VISTA and slightly brighter, especially when I put them side by side to use in the evening. I bought the VISTA for my parents since they probably use the binoculars a couple of times a year when they are on vacation. I use mine almost every week. So summit is what I use the most. I like 8x over 10x. The lower magnification suffers less handshake and gives a wider viewing angle. It is especially suitable for marine use. With that said, some of my friends are perfectly ok with their 10x.

I haven't tried the new 2010 VISTA yet. But the specification looks very impressive. Maybe someones who have that can share their experience.

Thanks; I appreciate your insights. Any way to know if the improved Vistas now equal the older Summits, or will sharpness and brightness not be affected by the changes?

no one would know unless someone has both pairs to compare.

My opinion is it depends. I'm not sure I used my binoculars at all in Alaska.

Every excursion I went on supplied high quality binoculars and none were ZenRay. I made a point of looking at what was supplied for the passengers and what the guides were using. On boat trips would see what the captain was using.

My camera has a high power zoom with image stabilization which outperforms any pair of binoculars without image stabilization.

If on a small tour boat bouncing around, 10x binoculars are going to be difficult to use - I think 8x was the max that I saw.

If you have patience (willing to invest lots of time) and are looking to spot wildlife from the cruise ship, then yes, consider bringing some. If just for shore excursions, unless you are willing to invest a small fortune in some high quality image stabilizing ones, I might skip them.

Of course, as soon as I decide to leave mine at home, I'll find a use for them. :mad:

Thanks; I appreciate your insights. Any way to know if the improved Vistas now equal the older Summits, or will sharpness and brightness not be affected by the changes?

I have the old 10x42 summit. It is an excellent pair of binoculars. Don't know how the 2010 VISTA compares to old SUMMIT. But my guess is that it is probably somewhere between old summit and old vista.

How did you get the free shipping? Did you also get the neck strap and carrying case? I've spent about 2 hours just reading about binoculars. Can't believe I'm doing this instead of looking at the shore excursions, etc., I meant to look at, but now see this is just as important.

And more questions--would I be happy with the 8x26 or 10x26 instead of the 8x42? Do they all come with straps and cases, or just the free ones with the 8/42 Vista?

I think the 8x42 is much, much better than 8x26. The aperture is too small for 26mm binoculars. For extra $30-$40, 8x42mm is at least twice as bright as 8x26. In my book, it is totally worthy it.

Answering myself--and sharing a WOW moment. I found out the problem--I was ordering the refurbed Vista for $104, but when I changed to the new one for $115 it let me add on the free monocular plus the save15 code. And, for the WOW, I wrote Zen Ray about this and within minutes they called me to help me! How many companies do that, let alone immediately and on a Sunday night. Very nice man and if their binoculars are as good as their customer service, they have a very loyal customer!

I recently bought the 2010 Zenray Vista 8 x42. I do not really know what the difference between this model and the older 2009 model.

These binoculars are really great. They are very bright and have little to no shake in them.

I didn't order it from their website but I did order a harness to wear so that I didn't have to worry about my neck hurting. Something to consider if your going to be carrying them around with you most of the day on the ship.

I know that I will be getting my money's use out of these when we go to Alaska in May.

Archived