binoculars necessary?

plenox

I got a chance to look through the new zen-ray ZEN binoculars yesterday. All I can say is "wow". My friend has his Leica Ultravid with him too. I brought summit for the trip. It is slightly brighter than my summit. The difference is small, but obvious when they are put together side by side. It is as good as ultravid for clarity. Very ergonomically constructed with thumb recess in the back. It is little heavy, but feels about the same weight as much lighter summit. My friend commented that it is as good, if not better, as his ultravid. That's quite a statement considering their price is off by 6 times. If I don't already have summit, I may just go ahead and get a ZEN. But I am just as happy with half price with summit binoculars.

• 2 months later...
I got a chance to look through the new zen-ray ZEN binoculars yesterday. All I can say is "wow". My friend has his Leica Ultravid with him too. I brought summit for the trip. It is slightly brighter than my summit. The difference is small, but obvious when they are put together side by side. It is as good as ultravid for clarity. Very ergonomically constructed with thumb recess in the back. It is little heavy, but feels about the same weight as much lighter summit. My friend commented that it is as good, if not better, as his ultravid. That's quite a statement considering their price is off by 6 times. If I don't already have summit, I may just go ahead and get a ZEN. But I am just as happy with half price with summit binoculars.

It is probably one of the best binoculars out there. There are some reviews on them already

These have been recommended highly (ZenRay Summit model 10x42) I live in the UK and cannot find them anywhere, any idea what a good comparison inder £100.

We are going on the Rhapsody of the seas on the 8th May from Vancouver to Seattle and supposed be seeing Sawyer Glacier, fingers crossed

Thanks for any help

I am planning our very first Alaska cruise trip for the next year. From some of the extensive trip reports by many cruisers, it seems that almost everyone brought their binoculars with them. We have a very old pair of bushnell that we have for years. My eyes get tired even after a brief moment of usage, which is why it mostly stays in our closest for the past several years. I have been cruising in Hawaii and Caribbean in the past, never thought of having a binoculars for a cruise trip before. Can we still see wild life without it? Do we need one for each person? thanks

IMHO, the wildlife and landscape were impressive enough without binoculars. Every time we used binoculars we ended up missing something else interesting. Ours are staying home this time around. Now a camera with a good zoom is another story. That is a must.

These have been recommended highly (ZenRay Summit model 10x42) I live in the UK and cannot find them anywhere, any idea what a good comparison inder £100.

Zen Ray mostly sells directly; you won't find them in stores, or on many other web sites. One web site which sells the Zen Rays at a slightly lower cost than the Zen Ray site itself is Agena AstroProducts. I recently ordered my Zen Ray Summit binoculars from them, and they shipped directly form Zen Ray within 24 hours. I don't know about shipping to the UK, but I'm sure you could email Zen Ray or Agena AstroProducts to find out if they do.

We are going on the Rhapsody of the seas on the 8th May from Vancouver to Seattle and supposed be seeing Sawyer Glacier, fingers crossed

From everything I've read, it's almost certain that large cruise ships won't make it all the way down Tracy Arm to Sawyer Glacier that early in the year. Enjoy the scenery of Tracy Arm, but don't set your sites on seeing the glacier here.

-- Eric

It is probably one of the best binoculars out there. There are some reviews on them already

Here's another. Do keep in mind that these reviews refer to the ED model, which is currently $449 on the Zen-Ray site. I think for the average person, any binoc over $200 can look pretty darn good.

Keep in mind that porro-prism binoculars, though a bit bulkier get you more bang for the buck.

Roof prism binocs are straight:

venturer_tiny.jpg

Porro prism binocs have a "dog leg" between eyepiece and front:

nikon_superior10x42_82.jpg

Here's another. Do keep in mind that these reviews refer to the ED model, which is currently $449 on the Zen-Ray site. I think for the average person, any binoc over $200 can look pretty darn good.

I got mine for $359 after coupon. It is a pretty good deal. But I agree that mid-priced binoculars should be sufficient for most people.I have their summit for over 2 years and are pretty happy with it.

• 2 months later...

agree. Although having a binoculars is essential, there is really no need to go over board with expensive ones.

I just got back from Alaska and used the Zen-Ray Vista 8X42:

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=206

Zen-Ray is offering it at a reduced price of $130 (from $199), as well as an additional discount of 20% off the $130 using the code SAVE20, so with shipping, my total was about $116.

I purchased the binoculars just for the trip and agree that it was an extremely worthwhile purchase! :) I used binoculars for whale watching (some companies provide them, but it's nice to have your own, too) and also in Glacier Bay (especially great for seeing waterfalls up close and the calving of a glacier up, up, up close with binoculars). I forgot my binoculars for the Kenai Fjords (6 hour boat trip), as this is where the binoculars would have been most handy. I still had a great time on the boat trip, but the binoculars would have enhanced wildlife viewing. I have a newfound love for binoculars and will be using them on many future trips to come.

Enjoy your trip!

Amazon's pricing on the Nikon Monarchs is very good. If Zen-ray did not offer the "special" on their waterproof/fogproof. I bought the 10x42 monarchs, and ordered the 8x42 Summit's -- Review to follow after our cruise in a couple of weeks.

Gotta say, I was surprised how light the Monarchs were -- I have bad eyes, and without glasses very sharp viewing just at home bird watching.

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive compact pair to stick in a pocket or purse -- any recommendations from this board?? I see tons of review for the other type.

• 2 weeks later...
just saw a comparison between ZRS and Monarch. It is very technical. I got confused sometimes when reading it. But it seems the author likes the ZRS.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3203819/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Thanks. We decided to get two pairs of zenray ZRS for in-laws instead of the more expensive ZEN so they each can have their own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We have ancient Tasco binoculars (one pair each) that are 16x50.

Will these do or should we splurge and buy new ones?

Our budget is already tight but since we're not leaving until May I could tweak the budget if necessary. :o

I am planning our very first Alaska cruise trip for the next year. From some of the extensive trip reports by many cruisers, it seems that almost everyone brought their binoculars with them. We have a very old pair of bushnell that we have for years. My eyes get tired even after a brief moment of usage, which is why it mostly stays in our closest for the past several years. I have been cruising in Hawaii and Caribbean in the past, never thought of having a binoculars for a cruise trip before. Can we still see wild life without it? Do we need one for each person? thanks

My Dh and I had a pair between us. But, very glad we had them. It made wildlife viewing all that much better.;)

We have ancient Tasco binoculars (one pair each) that are 16x50.

Will these do or should we splurge and buy new ones?

Our budget is already tight but since we're not leaving until May I could tweak the budget if necessary. :o

having binoculars with you is better than nothing. The only problems with 16x50 binoculars are (1) too much magnification power that makes it difficult to hold steady on the cruiseship; (2) 50mm binoculars are also much heavier. Most people on this board recommend 8x42 or 10x42 for cruise travel.

The refurbished vista is a very good deal.

having binoculars with you is better than nothing. The only problems with 16x50 binoculars are (1) too much magnification power that makes it difficult to hold steady on the cruiseship; (2) 50mm binoculars are also much heavier. Most people on this board recommend 8x42 or 10x42 for cruise travel.

What are your opinions of these 2 pair?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190337079321&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D190337079321%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150374573473&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Jimbo:)

THANKS for your input. I have thought of the heaviness, especially since the neck straps were lost years ago so we'd need to make/purchase new ones. I'd also wondered about the steadiness since even here at home when watching birds that is a problem.

We do have one pair of smaller binoculars. I'll have to check size so will definitely bring those. Meanwhile I'll watch prices of 8x42 binoculars online. We live 25 miles from nearest town and that Walmart has no binoculars, and there are no dept stores, camera shops, electronic stores so online is where we do must of our purchasing.

The prices I've seen so far, though, are more than we want to pay. But it might be time to buy new binoculars that would also be handy for more easily viewing our desert birds and critters. :D

bushnell has too many models. I will regard Excursion and above as acceptable quality. The Elite2 is an excellent binoculars, which I had for more than 2 years.

Archived