binoculars necessary?

plenox

I just ordered these binoculars...thanks for the link. I'll be using them in May as well. Then I'll give them to my daughter who is in the Coast Guard, stationed on Kodiak Island. She tours the Bering Sea every 3 months or so...she'll get alot of use from these as well. I paid 112.00 incl shipping. I got the free monical, strap and case..had to pay shipping tho

Katie

FurryPetMom-Where did you order the harness for your binoculars? I looked on the Zenray website and didn't see them, only the neckstrap that comes with the binoculars. We're going to Alaska in July and just purchased new Zenrays but I'm a little worried about the strain on my neck since I've never used them before. Thanks!

I found some pictures of a binocular harness at mybinocularharness.com and it does look like it would take strain off your neck. Has anyone found these to be useful or are they more trouble than they're worth? I'm particularly interested to know if they would be useful while hiking in Denali or do they interfere too much with a backpack?

we had an 8x42 Rokinon. It gave us cross-eyed view. Haven't figured out where to send in for repair yet

Maybe that is why they are offered at such a cheap price on Overstock.com.LOL If they don't work we just have to ship them back.

I found some pictures of a binocular harness at mybinocularharness.com and it does look like it would take strain off your neck. Has anyone found these to be useful or are they more trouble than they're worth? I'm particularly interested to know if they would be useful while hiking in Denali or do they interfere too much with a backpack?

You put the harness on under your backpack...no interference. They're great for hiking...they keep your binoculars from bouncing around so much.

I recently bought the 2010 Zenray Vista 8 x42. I do not really know what the difference between this model and the older 2009 model.

These binoculars are really great. They are very bright and have little to no shake in them.

I didn't order it from their website but I did order a harness to wear so that I didn't have to worry about my neck hurting. Something to consider if your going to be carrying them around with you most of the day on the ship.

I know that I will be getting my money's use out of these when we go to Alaska in May.

I don't feel much shaking with my 8x and 10x binoculars either. A 16x I had before has too much vibration for me.

Answering myself--and sharing a WOW moment. I found out the problem--I was ordering the refurbed Vista for $104, but when I changed to the new one for $115 it let me add on the free monocular plus the save15 code. And, for the WOW, I wrote Zen Ray about this and within minutes they called me to help me! How many companies do that, let alone immediately and on a Sunday night. Very nice man and if their binoculars are as good as their customer service, they have a very loyal customer!

I can attest to their quality AND their customer service. I've had a few brands in the past and Zen Ray rates right up there at the top!...EXCELLENT QUALITY, you won't be disappointed..

I can attest to their quality AND their customer service. I've had a few brands in the past and Zen Ray rates right up there at the top!...EXCELLENT QUALITY, you won't be disappointed..

I always have good experience with zen-ray. The optical quality is superb for its price.

• 4 weeks later...

Outdoor Life rated 14 models of binoculars. The Zen-Ray ZRS came last. The first place went to Zeiss Victory RS at $2995, but there were some much less costly models which placed close to the top.

Outdoor Life Optics Tests 2009

The models are all roof prism type and I would recommend a good porro prism instead. They offer as good or better optical performance at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. The Bushnell Legend Porro 8x42 or 10x50 are very good at close to $100. Check Amazon, and make sure they are the Porro models and not roof prism.

Binocular Basics

The best review of ZRS was put togther by some astronomers.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3203819/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1

I have owned a pair of summit 10x42. It's about the same quality as Bushnell Elite2 I have. Both are excellent binoculars. Another one will be Nikon Monarch. They just came out with new Monarch III, presumably much better than the older Monarch.

No, usually terrible except for the very expensive Leica Duovids

2nd that opinion. Most cheap zoom binoculars are essentially useless. The only high quality ones that I have tried are Duovids and Leupold switchpower. They are expensive. Just stick to basics. For easy packing, I always take more compact roofprism binoculars to the road. I also have a pair of Nikon Action Extreme. Excellent binoculars, not too expensive. I use it for my backyard very often. But I rarely took it for vacation. The Porro size is little too bulky to fit in my camera bag with other camera gears.

Some thoughts about Zen-Ray.

I've been a hunter and outdoors man for nearly 50 years now. Until I signed into this forum, I have never ever heard of the brand Zen-Ray. Perhaps a little known secret?

On doing a little research, it seems that Zen-Ray is a direct marketing company, kind of like Amway. I have seen some indication that they ship review samples of their product out to members of internet forums, who review them, and post their reviews on these forums.

While I would not suggest or have any evidence to suggest that these reviews are bogus, I would make the following observations:

They are made in China. While this is not condemning, it is not a good start. China does produce some very good product (if the company putting their name on it demands it), and also some very bad. Zen-Ray seems to focus on roof prism models and discount them to very low prices. Roof prism models are quite expensive to make with quality. Combined with country of origin, price, and roof prism design, I would have to conclude that they represent the bottom end of the quality range. I'm afraid I just don't believe in a free lunch. If you want quality optics at a low price avoid roof prism and go for porro prism.

Buyer beware.

Ron aka-- until yesterday I thought as you do. I've been wanting another pair of binoculars to replace a really old pair (the first pair we ever bought), though, and didn't want to spend a fortune. But DH and I are both accustomed to excellent optics. I don't know how many pairs of binoculars we own, but included in our optics collection are top of the line Zeiss and Swarovski. We are presently traveling in Washington and Oregon, and as usual have the pair I travel with--the Zeiss. I mentioned to my husband that I wanted a new pair of binoculars to replace the ones we leave at our cabin, and he started giving me recommendations of "reasonably" priced good ones. When I brought up the name Zen-Ray as something I'd heard about, he looked at me as if I'd suddenly sprouted horns. I was using my iPhone to look things up as we traveled in the car, and by the time we arrived in Portland, I had read enough things to get him interested. But then he pointed out the O. L. Tests to me and then I wasn't interested. By the next morning, we had figured out that the company must be in the Portland area; since we were there, we emailed Zen-Ray, and then went to breakfast and went swimming. Upon returning to the room, we found a phone message from Charles, telling us where the office was. Although it was 30 miles the opposite direction we were headed, we went to the office. I have to admit that I was shocked at the quality, as was my husband. Only time will tell how they will hold up, but I have spent the last 36 hours comparing the binoculars with my Zeiss, and they are right up there with them, if not equal. We can hardly wait to compare them to the Swars when we get home.

Forgot-- I purchased the Zen ED2 10x43. I'm sure the Vista and Summit are probably great for the price range, but neither of us is willing to sacrifice the quality for a few hundred dollars when that item will (presumably) last the rest of our lives.

For those of you who have purchased really cheap binocs because "you'll never use them again", you're right--you won't--and a large part of that is because you spent so little that you are missing the joy of seeing things through good binoculars. I'm not saying you have to spend as much as I'm willing to, but do yourself a favor and go to a sporting goods store and try some good ones out. Two days ago we watched the wind ruffling the feathers of a heron. It was probably 20 feet away--without the binocs, it was "oh, there's a heron.". With the optics, it was "Wow! Look at those absolutely gorgeous feathers!"

if you spend any time outdoors and have any interest in nature, you deserve a good pair of binocs.

Ron aka-- until yesterday I thought as you do. I've been wanting another pair of binoculars to replace a really old pair (the first pair we ever bought), though, and didn't want to spend a fortune. But DH and I are both accustomed to excellent optics. I don't know how many pairs of binoculars we own, but included in our optics collection are top of the line Zeiss and Swarovski. We are presently traveling in Washington and Oregon, and as usual have the pair I travel with--the Zeiss. I mentioned to my husband that I wanted a new pair of binoculars to replace the ones we leave at our cabin, and he started giving me recommendations of "reasonably" priced good ones. When I brought up the name Zen-Ray as something I'd heard about, he looked at me as if I'd suddenly sprouted horns. I was using my iPhone to look things up as we traveled in the car, and by the time we arrived in Portland, I had read enough things to get him interested. But then he pointed out the O. L. Tests to me and then I wasn't interested. By the next morning, we had figured out that the company must be in the Portland area; since we were there, we emailed Zen-Ray, and then went to breakfast and went swimming. Upon returning to the room, we found a phone message from Charles, telling us where the office was. Although it was 30 miles the opposite direction we were headed, we went to the office. I have to admit that I was shocked at the quality, as was my husband. Only time will tell how they will hold up, but I have spent the last 36 hours comparing the binoculars with my Zeiss, and they are right up there with them, if not equal. We can hardly wait to compare them to the Swars when we get home.
really interesting to read your review, mytime! We converted from porro prism to roof prism when we bought our first Zeiss Dialyts back in the 80's, and currently the four birding members of our family use later model Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, and Nikon LX (we all have different favorites). We have been looking for a decent but lower priced "extra" pair to keep in one of our vehicles (we never go anywhere without bins...you just never know!) and will have to check out the ZenED model.

Do you recall how the edge-to-edge sharpness is? That is a high priority for me, as it makes to viewing experience so much more pleasant.

I agree about porro's being generally brighter and sharper when equal-priced models are compared, but prefer the ergonomics and true internal focusing (for durability and weather resistance) of roof prisms overall, so I am willing to pay more for these features.

"I agree about porro's being generally brighter and sharper when equal-priced models are compared, but prefer the ergonomics and true internal focusing (for durability and weather resistance) of roof prisms overall, so I am willing to pay more for these features."

You may be interested in the Leupold Cascades Porro that has internal focus. I think they are discontinued now, but you may find a pair at a good price on e-bay or amazon. I recall seeing them for under $200. Good friend has the 10x42 model and they are excellent in clarity. In fact the 3-D imaging, and resulting depth perception of those binoculars was what convinced me of the significant advantage of porro. The only down side of the 10x42 model is the smaller objective and more limited field of view. They also come in a 8x42 which has a wider field of view.

Leupold Cascades 10x42 Internal Focus

Leupold Cascades 8x42 Internal Focus

CascadesInternal10x42.jpg

Forgot-- I purchased the Zen ED2 10x43. I'm sure the Vista and Summit are probably great for the price range, but neither of us is willing to sacrifice the quality for a few hundred dollars when that item will (presumably) last the rest of our lives.

For those of you who have purchased really cheap binocs because "you'll never use them again", you're right--you won't--and a large part of that is because you spent so little that you are missing the joy of seeing things through good binoculars. I'm not saying you have to spend as much as I'm willing to, but do yourself a favor and go to a sporting goods store and try some good ones out. Two days ago we watched the wind ruffling the feathers of a heron. It was probably 20 feet away--without the binocs, it was "oh, there's a heron.". With the optics, it was "Wow! Look at those absolutely gorgeous feathers!"

if you spend any time outdoors and have any interest in nature, you deserve a good pair of binocs.

where can we find the ZEN ED2? We have a pair of Bushnell auto-focus that my wife got from her 20th service anniverary gift. I don't know how the auto focus works since it does not need battery. Every time we took it out and look through it, I always feel watching through a screen door. Just need a little bit to get to sharp focus. But there is no knob to turn.

Archived