binoculars necessary?

plenox

You definitely need them and do not count on your wife sharing hers with you when she is looking at something interesting. Bring one for each of you.

Also, don't buy cheap ones. With optics, you get what you pay for. However, do not look at ones that you can not afford. The last time that I bought binoculars, I made the mistake of looking through a pair of $1500 Leitz binoculars. They were definitely worth the money, even though I could not afford them.

DON

Thanks for sharing all your thoughts everyone! I have a pair of Zeiss binoculars that I know DH and I will be fighting over the whole time so I guess we'll be heading out for a second pair! Won't be Zeiss but you have given me ideas for many other brands.

Just got an email that ZEN ED is selling for $290 this week. They typically sell for $400. I had a chance to look through my friend's pair this summer. They are as good as his Swarovski binoculars.

• 3 weeks later...
that was a very good deal. I spent $380 on mine. The ZEN ED is better than my more expensive Bushnell Elite2. For marine life viewing, 8x is better for wider viewing angle

we have both 8x and 10x binoculars. I think we will be covered for our trip.

I already have 12x25 and 8x21 binoculars. Are these good enough? We will be doing Princess' southbound cruise, Eielson shuttle in Denali, Prince William Sound cruise, Yukon railroad, and hopefully Anan Creek bear viewing. I was hoping to save some money by not buying new binoculars.

What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
I already have 12x25 and 8x21 binoculars. Are these good enough? We will be doing Princess' southbound cruise, Eielson shuttle in Denali, Prince William Sound cruise, Yukon railroad, and hopefully Anan Creek bear viewing. I was hoping to save some money by not buying new binoculars.

What do you think?

Having binoculars is better than having none. If that's what you would like to take, they will work.

There are some very reviews on the zen-ray VISTA binoculars. Go for their 8x power, which is perfect for marine life observation. I believe they also come with a 10x25 monocular too. Another consideration is waterproof. Alaska rains a lot. It is inevitable to use binoculars in the rain. I don't like 12x binoculars, too shaky to hold it steady for my aging eyes. The viewing field is also too narrow to use for whale watching.

I just got a pair of 7x35 waterproof binoculars to use for kayaking. They are Tasco in focus. They are older but in mint condition. They are very bright and clear, and I am very pleased with the optics. Will 7x be strong enough for use on my Alaskan cruise?

I just saw there is a $15 off coupon code for VISTA binoculars to make it around $100. That's a very good deal. It should also come with a 10x25 monocular too. Don't know when the coupon will expire.

I have one of these. They are very nice. cannot wait to go back to Alaska.

I just purchased the VISTA using the SAVE15 coupon code. Worked great - thank you!

You get a monocular, neck strap, and carrying case included free with your final purchase price of $100 (plus tax and shipping) - seems like a pretty good deal.

I just purchased the VISTA using the SAVE15 coupon code. Worked great - thank you!

You get a monocular, neck strap, and carrying case included free with your final purchase price of $100 (plus tax and shipping) - seems like a pretty good deal.

wow. that's a great deal. I will get another one for my parents too.

I just saw there is a $15 off coupon code for VISTA binoculars to make it around $100. That's a very good deal. It should also come with a 10x25 monocular too. Don't know when the coupon will expire.

Does anyone have experience with the 2010 VISTA?

Does anyone have experience with the 2010 VISTA?

What caught my eyes first is the new VISTA comes with phase coating and silver coating. I have seen those features on more expensive binoculars. Presumably they must be very good based on my experience with the other models from zenray. I just got my parents the old VISTA 8x42 for $100 after that SAVE15 coupon code. What a deal!

For anyone who has ordered and received the Vista Binoculars recently, did they come by regular mail or was it UPS? Did you have to sign for them? I am leaving on a cruise this week and no one will be home during the day so I did not know whether to wait till I return or go ahead and order them.

Thanks for any help.

For anyone who has ordered and received the Vista Binoculars recently, did they come by regular mail or was it UPS? Did you have to sign for them? I am leaving on a cruise this week and no one will be home during the day so I did not know whether to wait till I return or go ahead and order them.

Thanks for any help.

When I ordered mine a few months ago they came Priority Mail, USPS, and did not have to be signed for.

Thanks for any help.

We ordered the Zen-Rey Vista 8 x 42 last week Sunday (Feb 7th). We went with the $12.00 standard USPS shipping. We got a message Monday morning that said they were shipped that day. When I got home from work on Wednesday the 10th, the box was on our front porch which means it was delivered when the mailman came by that day. We did not have to sign for the delivery. That's three day shipping from Portland, OR to Kansas City (we were impressed). You may want to wait until you get back from your cruise to place the order or you could have the USPS hold your mail while you are gone. Then your Vista Binoculars will be waiting for you when you pick up your mail upon your return.

Archived