binoculars necessary?

plenox

THANKS for your input. I have thought of the heaviness, especially since the neck straps were lost years ago so we'd need to make/purchase new ones. I'd also wondered about the steadiness since even here at home when watching birds that is a problem.

We do have one pair of smaller binoculars. I'll have to check size so will definitely bring those. Meanwhile I'll watch prices of 8x42 binoculars online. We live 25 miles from nearest town and that Walmart has no binoculars, and there are no dept stores, camera shops, electronic stores so online is where we do must of our purchasing.

The prices I've seen so far, though, are more than we want to pay. But it might be time to buy new binoculars that would also be handy for more easily viewing our desert birds and critters. :D

I attempted to use a 15x spotting scope during our recent cruise without success. My favorite is 8x. But many people find 10x work for them too.

THANKS for your input. I have thought of the heaviness, especially since the neck straps were lost years ago so we'd need to make/purchase new ones. I'd also wondered about the steadiness since even here at home when watching birds that is a problem.

We do have one pair of smaller binoculars. I'll have to check size so will definitely bring those. Meanwhile I'll watch prices of 8x42 binoculars online. We live 25 miles from nearest town and that Walmart has no binoculars, and there are no dept stores, camera shops, electronic stores so online is where we do must of our purchasing.

The prices I've seen so far, though, are more than we want to pay. But it might be time to buy new binoculars that would also be handy for more easily viewing our desert birds and critters. :D

we brought a couple of pairs of ZR summit binoculars. They are 10x power and worked just fine for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you decide on style and magnification-wise (we had 8x42 water/fogproof binocs that were perfect) buy one pair for each. By the time you hand off the binoculars so your partner can see that whale in the distance, it'll be gone. We bought two pair and were SO glad we did. We kept one pair and sold the second pair upon return.

Whatever you decide on style and magnification-wise (we had 8x42 water/fogproof binocs that were perfect) buy one pair for each. By the time you hand off the binoculars so your partner can see that whale in the distance, it'll be gone. We bought two pair and were SO glad we did. We kept one pair and sold the second pair upon return.

We always brought one pair for each person in the group. Still, we managed to miss some opportunities when some strangers wanted to peek through the binoculars. Sometimes, it is hard to say no. ;)

Looking thru binoculars can be headache induce because of shake. Especially mine cost $10 from RiteAid. There is a trick which you use your hand as a virtual cam against your forehead. This really eliminate most of the shaking thus allow for longer comfortable viewing.

I can buy Bushnell waterproof/fogproof 8x42 for $65 or

Bushnell waterproof/fogproof 10x42 for $75.

Is the latter worth the $10 difference ($20 if I buy two)?

What is the difference between 8x42 and 10x42 for from-the-ship viewing? :confused:

I can buy Bushnell waterproof/fogproof 8x42 for $65 or

Bushnell waterproof/fogproof 10x42 for $75.

Is the latter worth the $10 difference ($20 if I buy two)?

What is the difference between 8x42 and 10x42 for from-the-ship viewing? :confused:

Just my personal preference, I like 8x better. The image is stable with less power. For marine use, the lower magnification power of 8x gives larger field of view.

I have Bushnell E2, which is a great binoculars. But anything below their Trophy is not good.

The VISTA has a refurbished model for $105, which is far superior than Bushnell.

Just my personal preference, I like 8x better. The image is stable with less power. For marine use, the lower magnification power of 8x gives larger field of view.

I have Bushnell E2, which is a great binoculars. But anything below their Trophy is not good.

The VISTA has a refurbished model for $105, which is far superior than Bushnell.

Thank you for your answer and for the link to the refurbished VISTA.

I'll have to give the matter some more thought -- and take another look at our budget.

Thank you for the information.

I would go with 8X, you will be able to use them with much less hand shake never mind ship movement. 8X tends to be a popular marine standard, for how you are likely going to use them waterproof is nice but not a huge issue.

Thank you for your input. That helps. :)

So, after reading through all 7 pages, I'm not sure what the consensus is as far as the Zen-Rays. Which is better -- the Vista or the Summit? The ZEN ED are out of my price range.

I'm looking for a pair to use on safari in South Africa and on our next Alaska cruise. DH has a new paid of Bushnells that he is happy with, but the whole sharing thing didn't work out too well. He was super-nice about sharing them, but I always felt guilty taking them away from him when he was in the middle of watching something. Even though he insisted that it was ok, I want my own pair for our next trip.

So, after reading through all 7 pages, I'm not sure what the consensus is as far as the Zen-Rays. Which is better -- the Vista or the Summit? The ZEN ED are out of my price range.

I'm looking for a pair to use on safari in South Africa and on our next Alaska cruise. DH has a new paid of Bushnells that he is happy with, but the whole sharing thing didn't work out too well. He was super-nice about sharing them, but I always felt guilty taking them away from him when he was in the middle of watching something. Even though he insisted that it was ok, I want my own pair for our next trip.

SUMMIT is significantly better than VISTA, but also more expensive. If you use VISTA, I would choose 8x over 10x for wider viewing angle.

After mulling it over for more than a week I decided to get the refurbished 8x42 VISTA since in so many binocular threads I've read, the VISTA and the more expensive SUMMIT seem to be the most widely recommended.

When I ordered today the neckstrap and carrying case were both included in the $105 price.

THANK YOU for your help.

After mulling it over for more than a week I decided to get the refurbished 8x42 VISTA since in so many binocular threads I've read, the VISTA and the more expensive SUMMIT seem to be the most widely recommended.

When I ordered today the neckstrap and carrying case were both included in the $105 price.

THANK YOU for your help.

congratulations! We have both summit and vista for ourselves and in-laws. I am sure you will be pleased with either one. Happy cruising.

congratulations! We have both summit and vista for ourselves and in-laws. I am sure you will be pleased with either one. Happy cruising.

The Vista binoculars arrived today and I hadn't even had them half an hour when hubby decided he also wanted a pair since they're so awesome. So, despite the fact we already have old binoculars and one pair of sport binoculars, none of which would be as good for AK cruise as these, he had me order a pair for him as well. I've just finished doing that.

I know we'll be glad on the cruise that we each have a pair of VISTA.:)

[i had told him I wasn't sharing MY binoculars.]

The Vista binoculars arrived today and I hadn't even had them half an hour when hubby decided he also wanted a pair since they're so awesome. So, despite the fact we already have old binoculars and one pair of sport binoculars, none of which would be as good for AK cruise as these, he had me order a pair for him as well. I've just finished doing that.

I know we'll be glad on the cruise that we each have a pair of VISTA.:)

[i had told him I wasn't sharing MY binoculars.]

we took the same advice and got a pair for each person. I could not imagine to switching binoculars in the middle of whale watching.

we took the same advice and got a pair for each person. I could not imagine to switching binoculars in the middle of whale watching.

If this cruise is like so many of our others, Hubby and I won't even be anywhere near each other when we're on the ship. We don't like the same things and don't operate on the same schedule. Even when going through the Panama Canal we didn't seem to stick together, so I can't imagine us being together for Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier or sea days. There'd be no way to share binoculars then. :rolleyes:

Since we both wear glasses (mine are bifocals, his are trifocals), I can't imagine sharing binoculars on land either. I would have been selfish and not shared! :eek: So I'm delighted that he decided to get a pair.

THANK YOU for your help.

You are welcome. Congratulations. They are really a bargain for its view.

• 1 month later...

Archived