New York For A First Timer...

josephml1

IS THIS A GOOD LOCATION...

2473 Atlantic Ave. , Brooklyn, NY, US, 11207

IS NEAR THE PIER OF BROOKLYN, HOW IS THE PUBLIC TRASPORTATION TO THIS AND FROM THIS PLACE???

this will help you a bit. Google map this....and then zoom in and you will see subway stations indicated by a blue subway icon. point on them and you'll see the subway lines that go there.

you might have to slide the map around to find them. then you can refer those points on the MTA subway map.

Hotel rates in New York are the cheapest from January through March, when it's cold. The rest of the year the weather is good, and the hotels know they can charge more because demand is up. I have had some luck staying at Choice Hotels in the past. You can visit choicehotels.com for rates at several different Manhattan locations. The internet rate for the Comfort Inn at W 36th Street (near the Jacob Javitz Center) is just under $200 per night, I think that is the cheapest you are going to find at a place that is tolerable to stay at for 3 nights. I would also look at both priceline.com and hotels.com for options. It will be much easier to see Manhattan if you are actually staying in Manhattan... easier to walk around and you will save money on transportation.

One of my favorite Broadway shows is SpamALot, but you have to be a Monty Python fan to fully appreciate it... plus I saw it when it first came out with all the original stars who have since left the show. You said you already saw Phantom, and my other favorite (The Producers) is no longer playing.

A great place to have dinner near the theater district is "Restaurant Row"... that's 46th Street between 8th and 9th Avenue. This block has several restaurants, many of them Italian. Many of them have specially priced menus for the theater crowd that include an appetizer, the main course, and a dessert for under $30 per person. There is also a comedy club and a piano bar on that block.

A MUST SEE for your first visit to New York is the Empire State Building. It is located in midtown at 34th Street and 5th Avenue. It costs around $12 to go to the observation deck. You also must visit Times Square at night, to see all the lights. Times Square is where Broadway and 7th Ave meet between 42nd and 47th Streets. Other midtown locations that are easy to walk to include Rockefeller Center (home of the ice rink and the giant Christmas Tree) between 5th and 6th Avenues near 50th Street, and St. Patrick's Cathedral, which is across the street from Rockefeller Center.

Enjoy your trip!

My favourite, if I had to chose one, would be Singing in the Rain.

Why? Because I saw an amatuer show of it, and my son played Don Lockwood. When he started to tap dance I was amazed! I didn't know he could do it. I've since seen him play in Half a Sixpence, Anything Goes and various other musicals, but Singing in the Rain was spectacular. He even got a good luck card from Tommy Steele! (This was all in the UK)

this will help you a bit. Google map this....and then zoom in and you will see subway stations indicated by a blue subway icon. point on them and you'll see the subway lines that go there.

you might have to slide the map around to find them. then you can refer those points on the MTA subway map.

Thanks that was a very good map very clear.

Thank you again.

Hotel rates in New York are the cheapest from January through March, when it's cold. The rest of the year the weather is good, and the hotels know they can charge more because demand is up. I have had some luck staying at Choice Hotels in the past. You can visit choicehotels.com for rates at several different Manhattan locations. The internet rate for the Comfort Inn at W 36th Street (near the Jacob Javitz Center) is just under $200 per night, I think that is the cheapest you are going to find at a place that is tolerable to stay at for 3 nights. I would also look at both priceline.com and hotels.com for options. It will be much easier to see Manhattan if you are actually staying in Manhattan... easier to walk around and you will save money on transportation.

One of my favorite Broadway shows is SpamALot, but you have to be a Monty Python fan to fully appreciate it... plus I saw it when it first came out with all the original stars who have since left the show. You said you already saw Phantom, and my other favorite (The Producers) is no longer playing.

A great place to have dinner near the theater district is "Restaurant Row"... that's 46th Street between 8th and 9th Avenue. This block has several restaurants, many of them Italian. Many of them have specially priced menus for the theater crowd that include an appetizer, the main course, and a dessert for under $30 per person. There is also a comedy club and a piano bar on that block.

A MUST SEE for your first visit to New York is the Empire State Building. It is located in midtown at 34th Street and 5th Avenue. It costs around $12 to go to the observation deck. You also must visit Times Square at night, to see all the lights. Times Square is where Broadway and 7th Ave meet between 42nd and 47th Streets. Other midtown locations that are easy to walk to include Rockefeller Center (home of the ice rink and the giant Christmas Tree) between 5th and 6th Avenues near 50th Street, and St. Patrick's Cathedral, which is across the street from Rockefeller Center.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank You very much for an excelent review and for all the advice.

I will check the comfort inn in Manhatan

We are going to buy the City pass card... Is very good the price.

Thank you again.

I assume the smileys mean you are happy? Did you get a hotel in Manhattan? Do explain the smiles please.

Yes, we get only the first night in Manhattan with priceline at the sheraton Times square... thats a start...I will keep looking to get all the nights in Manhattan.

But i am happy i am going to use that night to explore times square at night and go to a broadway show.

:) :) :) :)

You will be much happier if you can stay in Manhattan. The SHertaon Times Square is in a good location. Keep trying, though it will be a pain in the neck going from hotel ot hotel if you win bids in differenthotels instead of being able to bid on the same hotel for all nights.

Ok, I just checked out the Ramada on 31st and Lexington. If you have Triple A, the nightly rate for your dates are $237.49 per night as opposed to $249.99 per night without Triple A. At least it's under $300.

Look how many people are routing for you Joseph. :D

Ok, I just checked out the Ramada on 31st and Lexington. If you have Triple A, the nightly rate for your dates are $237.49 per night as opposed to $249.99 per night without Triple A. At least it's under $300.

Look how many people are routing for you Joseph. :D

omg...just call me and name_game the street team. next time i'm going rounds in manhattan i'll see about other hotels/inns.

you rock, name_game!

omg...just call me and name_game the street team. next time i'm going rounds in manhattan i'll see about other hotels/inns.

you rock, name_game!

We should start our own business as a concierge for out of towners! :D

Name_game, zonehph, willysgrandma and all the people that are helping me with this amazing city, you really rock.

Thank you all for the advice and counseling.

In a near future if you are coming to Mexico or going to Canada around Toronto i can give you lots of advice. (Hotels, sightseeing, food, etc)

If you have any other additional comments or suggestions related NY keep it coming it will help me and other readers of this thread.

:)

Willysgrandma..... we will be in NYC Sept 14-15 stayinig at the Marriott Renassance Times Square... we LOVE Italian... suggestions? We want to see the Statue of Liberty, should we take a taxi to the Ferry to Staten island for that?

Willysgrandma..... we will be in NYC Sept 14-15 stayinig at the Marriott Renassance Times Square... we LOVE Italian... suggestions? We want to see the Statue of Liberty, should we take a taxi to the Ferry to Staten island for that?

ferry to liberty island is located downtown in battery park.

Thanks, ZoneHPH, will we be able to walk from Times Square or should we Taxi to Battery Park? Maybe I should get a map of NYC.

Battery Park is not walkable from Times Square unless you're really up for a long walk. A taxi would be fine but the subway would probably be fastest and cheapest. From Times Square, just take the No. 1 train all the way to "South Ferry" (last stop - can't miss it). Just remember, tho, ride in one of the first 5 cars of the train. The doors of the rear cars won't open in South Ferry station.

Johnql, YOU ARE THE BEST!!! Now where SHALL we dine on Saturday night?? something Italian??

In the Times Square area, you can try either Carmine's (carminesnyc.com, 200 West 44th St) or John's Pizzeria (greatrestaurantsmag.com/NYC/restaurant_view/190, 260 West 44th St). Both pretty good Italian restaurants.

Thanks, ZoneHPH, will we be able to walk from Times Square or should we Taxi to Battery Park? Maybe I should get a map of NYC.

SURE YOU CAN WALK! you can walk anywhere in NYC if you REALLY wanted to.

but johnql has made the best suggestion...subway. it's the best and cheapest way to get around manhattan. those of us who live or work in nyc...will swear by the subway.

occassional cab is useful...but not when it's traffic.

johnql and ZoneHPH, thanks so much. We will be arriving at JFK around noon Saturday and sailing Sunday afternoon, so we don't have much time. We'll take the subway to Battery Park and ferry to the Statue of Liberty, dh wants to do the Empire State Building, and I think dinner at Carmine's is in order. There are 10 of us going and most of us doing our own thing. Just not enough time to really really enjoy the city, but we can hit the highlights! Thanks so much for your help. If you're ever in Oklahoma, I know the BEST places!!