New York For A First Timer...

josephml1

I just returned from 3 nights at the Holiday Inn Express, Union & 4th Ave in Brooklyn. Near to Park Slope and in the midst of a resurgence. Close to the R line and lots of cute, restaurants that won't break the bank.

This is a very good neighborhood and close to and easy to get to Manhattan.

Long Island City is one of those neighborhoods that is really being built up nicely. It is very convenient to Manhattan. If the price is comporable to the one in Brooklyn that AuntieBon stayed at, I would stay in Brooklyn. Both areas are fine but the Brooklyn one is in a "hipper" neighborhood.

Long Island City is one of those neighborhoods that is really being built up nicely. It is very convenient to Manhattan. If the price is comporable to the one in Brooklyn that AuntieBon stayed at, I would stay in Brooklyn. Both areas are fine but the Brooklyn one is in a "hipper" neighborhood.

The one that AuntieBon stay for my dates in October is 324 plus taxes...similar prices than Manhattan.

I find the Quality Inn (the address i post before) in Long island city at 116.9 plus taxes,:eek: is a new hotel open in 2007.

I think that is a nonexpensive hotel near Manhattan...but as always i whant to know more about the area.

Thank you for your comments.:)

joseph- Did you try the add a night feature on the room you won on Priceline??

Yes, but i recive a message that said the hotel is not available for that extra nights...:( I think not at that price.

But i have the said thank you for the counseling and the advice.:)

Long Island City is absolutely fine. It's safe, there are things to do and it's very easy to get into Manhattan.

Well i am calm now i have a nonexpensive hotel in a fine area near Manhattan...Now i can expend the extra money in shopping, opera, theather and of course food.

Thank you very much for your help.:) :) :) :)

Let’s return to the original idea of this thread...

Any NY traveler or NYer, please post your comments, or reviews related NY City...

What do you recommend for future travelers to NY it could be a sight or a restaurant or where to have a picnic in central park... ;)

Please feel free to post or your opinions what do you like and dislike, what is a most or what to skip, etc.

And of course Photos.:D

All opinions are welcome I am sure all this information is going to be very useful for future NY travelers.

:) :)

Let’s return to the original idea of this thread...

Any NY traveler or NYer, please post your comments, or reviews related NY City...

What do you recommend for future travelers to NY it could be a sight or a restaurant or where to have a picnic in central park...

Please feel free to post or your opinions what do you like and dislike, what is a most or what to skip, etc.

And of course Photos.

All opinions are welcome I am sure all this information is going to be very useful for future NY travelers.

and the Metropolitan Museum of Art(the Met).....if you love modern art than the new Museum of Modern Art(Moma). New York probably has the greatest collection of Museums in the World along Museum row from the 70- 100 on Fifth Avenue and Central Park with the Guggenheim, the Met, The Museum of the City of NY etc. The Museum of Natural History is across Central Park at 79th Street with the Rose Planetarium attached. The Customs house at Bowling Green has the Native American Museum as well as the Statute of Liberty, Ellis Island etc....Wall Street, etc. DO you have any particular Interest. The Brooklyn Museum and the Cloisters are farther afield but also quite interesting.

and the Metropolitan Museum of Art(the Met).....if you love modern art than the new Museum of Modern Art(Moma). New York probably has the greatest collection of Museums in the World along Museum row from the 70- 100 on Fifth Avenue and Central Park with the Guggenheim, the Met, The Museum of the City of NY etc. The Museum of Natural History is across Central Park at 79th Street with the Rose Planetarium attached. The Customs house at Bowling Green has the Native American Museum as well as the Statute of Liberty, Ellis Island etc....Wall Street, etc. DO you have any particular Interest. The Brooklyn Museum and the Cloisters are farther afield but also quite interesting.

I am thinking in this 4 museums:

1) Museum of Natural History

2) MOMA

3) the Metropolitan Museum of Art

4) the Guggenheim

Is there another??? meaning a most?

Thanks.

:)

I am thinking in this 4 museums:

1) Museum of Natural History

2) MOMA

3) the Metropolitan Museum of Art

4) the Guggenheim

Is there another??? meaning a most?

Thanks.

:)

that is quite enough for three days. They can sometimes be very crowded.

Your four museum choices are fine. You may not be able to fit them all in- I can spend a full day at each of them. If you go to the Museum of Natural History, go to the Rose Planetarium too - it is spectacular.

Are museums all you want to do? I really recommend the Hop on Hop Off buses for a day - you get a great idea of what is in a lot of the city.

As far as restaurants, I can recommend Tony's Dinapoli on 43rd street and Broadway and John's Pizza on 44th.

You might want to check each museums site to see if they have any special exhibits going on during your stay in NYC. That might sway your decision. When we went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art earlier in the year, they were having a Tiffany exhibit that was wonderful so we decided to go there instead of MOMA. They also has a free coupon for families on their website. Maybe there are some October specials that can help your budget some.

Well i am calm now i have a nonexpensive hotel in a fine area near Manhattan...Now i can expend the extra money in shopping, opera, theather and of course food.

Thank you very much for your help.:) :) :) :)

Did you ever look at rates for The Pod Hotel in Midtown?

Your four museum choices are fine. You may not be able to fit them all in- I can spend a full day at each of them. If you go to the Museum of Natural History, go to the Rose Planetarium too - it is spectacular.

Are museums all you want to do? I really recommend the Hop on Hop Off buses for a day - you get a great idea of what is in a lot of the city.

As far as restaurants, I can recommend Tony's Dinapoli on 43rd street and Broadway and John's Pizza on 44th.

The first day i am going to take the hop on and hop off bus, in that night broadway... then other day i will go to the museum of natural history, and MET, one day take lunch in central park, take a tour to the statue of liberty, and so on...

But i am going to decide what else.

About the restautarant i check the Menu of "Tony´s and John´s" It looks delicious i am hungry now:D Thanks for the advice.

Did you ever look at rates for The Pod Hotel in Midtown?

Yes, i check it There is no rooms available for my check in dates with private bath...:(

Right now i have a non expensive hotel in Long Island city its only two subway stations to times square.:)

I second the recommendation about John's Pizza on 44th... good stuff! Convenient to the Broadway/Times Square.

http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/

You can also find some reasonably priced restaurants near Times Square/Broadway shows on Restaurant Row:

http://www.restaurantrownyc.com/

http://darosina.com/

http://capri46.com/