As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

I am sorry, I can't search all the pages of this sticky. Can anyone tell me how you handle tipping with anytime dining?

We've had anytime dining once so far. We were lucky to get a great team on the second night of the cruise so we requested a table in their station every night after that. It worked out wonderfully. In our case we gave them each an envelope with our tips the last night. Others here have said that they've left a few $$ on the table if they haven't gotten the same stewards each night. We found it very easy to call each morning and we always were able to get a table in their station at a time we wanted.

We've had anytime dining once so far. We were lucky to get a great team on the second night of the cruise so we requested a table in their station every night after that. It worked out wonderfully. In our case we gave them each an envelope with our tips the last night. Others here have said that they've left a few $$ on the table if they haven't gotten the same stewards each night. We found it very easy to call each morning and we always were able to get a table in their station at a time we wanted.

So who would receive your "auto tips"?

So who would receive your "auto tips"?

The "auto tips", which we leave on, would be spread among the staff, same as usual. The extra we give is just that, "extra", for extraordinary service. You aren't required to leave extra, but we did because our waitstaff was fantastic.

Same as with traditional dining, no difference. :)

First time on HAL, despite requesting traditional late dining, got "assigned" any time dining. Fortunately, we like dining late. Again, fortunately, we sat with a person that we liked the first night, so we decided to eat with her during the rest of the cruise. We decided to meet at the dining room at 8:45PM every night.

We were "lucky" that we met up with someone we liked the first night. However, if I had to deal with new people every night I think I would have found the experience much less pleasuarable.

Our dining arrangements we wanted have been confirmed. As we are travelling with another couple we really enjoy dining together as a social setting for us. We had table 83 upper on the Oosterdam a few years ago and enjoyed this table....we had requested to get this table for early sitting traditional and our TA had no luck with it.... after discussing this with his supervisor and getting a few tips on how to handle HAL on this, I contacted ship services by phone and talked to a very helpful lady.... I mentioned all the concern that was being expressed on cruise critic regarding waitlisting and the confusion / complications that AYW dining seemed to be creating and she said she has been following this.... she gave me the e-mail of the ship co-ordinator for the Zuiderdam and I e-mailed her a nice note identifying us as Mariners and gave her our booking numbers and asked if she could arrange for us to have table 83 upper for early traditional dining..... she forwarded this request to the dining room manager on-board and he confirmed within 24 hours.

This is consistent with the way our request was handled two years ago and I am very grateful for HAL to confirm these arrangements....it still raises the question why they didn't accommodate the same request from my TA but maybe it was just a timing thing....I don't know....I just know we are happy campers and now looking forward to having our time to dine....well done HAL!

I have just read this entire thread! Whew....quite a bit going on here.

I am booked for Amsterdam South Pacific/Australia/NewZealand in September 2009. I booked 18 months in advance........my TA didn't ask me about dining and I forgot to mention it.....but my papers say Early Seating.

I am thinking I would rather try the 'anytime'.......I am traveling alone and thought I could meet more people this way. This makes sense doesn't it? But I certainly don't want to end up eating alone either.

It sounds as though I should hang onto my fixed time......and that it would be easier to change to 'anytime' when I can make up my mind for sure.

Oh such decisions.........and my trip still 372 days away!!!

Karen,

As a solo cruiser, I've always enjoyed having the same dining companions each night. That was until my last cruise when I got stuck at a table of putzheads :D . I was seriously considering asking to be put in AYW dining, or just go to the Lido.

Have you ever been on a cruise? If so, what kind of dining arrangements were there, and how to feel about your experience?

Roz

Hi Roz,

Yes I have been on 4 cruises...................on 3 I had the late seating and on 1 the early seating. I have always enjoyed my table partners (well once they were friends and once it was a group). I also enjoyed the personal relationship with the wait staff. BUT I have never cruised alone before.

Of the fixed times I found the late one to be a little too late and the early one to be a little too early...................I like to be outside watching the ship sail away as much as possible or spend the most time available on shore.

This is a very long cruise (my others were 7 days and one 18 day). 67 days might be a little long with the same people and the same schedule.........unless maybe I was at a bigger table.

Gosh...........I am just having a difficult time deciding. I do appreciate input.

This is a very long cruise . 67 days might be a little long with the same people and the same schedule..........

Does your cruise even have the option of open seating? The Grand Voyages tend to keep to fixed seating.

This may not end up being a decision you can make.

I just got off the Oosterdam yesterday after a 7 day Alaska cruise. When I reserved in May I requested late fixed seating but was given open seating instead.

The first night we were given a great table by the aft window. It was only a table for 3 but we made friends with the couple next to us. Afterwards we became friends with a waiter named John Wayne in the Lido who asked us to sit at his station. We had no problem getting the same table every night no matter what time we ate because we made a reservation in the morning. It was a table for 3. It was painless and very nice. We loved our waitstaff and wine steward.

As for the friends we made the first night, we spent lots of time with them throughout the week.

Thanks. We'll be on the Veendam next Feb. so maybe it'll be available there by then. We've gotten used to it on Princess and like it, as we often just want a table for two.

Having just returned from a Princess cruise I found out that even with the anytime dining I was told about 3 times that no tables for two were available and I had to sit with other people. Actually though, I enjoyed it for a change of pace.

Having just returned from a Princess cruise I found out that even with the anytime dining I was told about 3 times that no tables for two were available and I had to sit with other people. Actually though, I enjoyed it for a change of pace.

It always depends on how many others want what you want, when you want it. Experiences vary cruise to cruise.

Dining on mass marketed ships is dependent upon the majority opting to share dining tables. There is not sufficient space to accommodate a majority of two-tops.

A sailing with lots of relatively small groups and extended families often means it will be easy to snag a table for two. If the majority are couples, it might be a problem. You never know.

Those passengers who pay more to sail in Deluxe Suites usually get what they want, regardless of what other passengers want/when. Others who prefer to not leave it to chance, can also opt for a luxury cruise line where dining space ratios enable more two tops.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked our cruise in March to sail in November. At the time I requested early dining. Every time I looked on line it stated I had requested early dining. We just got our documents and it said open dining. I was a little upset until I found out that friends we are sailing with are also open dining. She calmed me down by saying we will love it. That is yet to be seen. My problem with this is there was no communication that we would get anything but early assigned dining. I know there are HAL loyalists on this site and probably with reason. From my perspective I see the cruise ship as a means to an end. I have sailed on RCCL and Princess. Both were great. Frankly I think you would have to be pretty grumpy not to enjoy a cruise. With that said I think other cruise lines would be just as accommodating as HAL and if I don't like the service I receive and I don't care for the AYWD then I'll go elsewhere. Simple but true. There are many fish in the sea and I can't see being loyal to an entity that would not be a "service first" agency. I almost sound grumpy myself but I am trying to be more matter-of-fact. I am sure that I will enjoy our cruise.

Don't let anyone steal your Joy!

We booked our cruise in March to sail in November. At the time I requested early dining. Every time I looked on line it stated I had requested early dining. We just got our documents and it said open dining. I was a little upset until I found out that friends we are sailing with are also open dining. She calmed me down by saying we will love it. That is yet to be seen. My problem with this is there was no communication that we would get anything but early assigned dining. I know there are HAL loyalists on this site and probably with reason. From my perspective I see the cruise ship as a means to an end. I have sailed on RCCL and Princess. Both were great. Frankly I think you would have to be pretty grumpy not to enjoy a cruise. With that said I think other cruise lines would be just as accommodating as HAL and if I don't like the service I receive and I don't care for the AYWD then I'll go elsewhere. Simple but true. There are many fish in the sea and I can't see being loyal to an entity that would not be a "service first" agency. I almost sound grumpy myself but I am trying to be more matter-of-fact. I am sure that I will enjoy our cruise.

Don't let anyone steal your Joy!

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. After having the best cruise experience we have ever had last year on the Volendam, my DW and I decided to try the other side with Celebrity on the Century for a 10 day Mediterranean cruise. We chose this cruise basically because of all the great things we had heard about Celebrity's food and service and that the itinerary was more to our liking than what HAL had this year. This ended up being one of the most disappointing cruises so far, the main DR food quality, service and variety did not come close to what we enjoyed on the Volendam last year with AYWD. On our first formal night the chef's featured entree was roast turkey and dressing, what a gourmet delight!!:eek: Turkey was also served one other night in the MDR. On the second formal night the traditional lobster tail was a Medley of Lobster seafood which was 1/2 of a small lobster tail with 2 small shrimp and one scallop:eek: I will have to say that the one night we ate in the Century Specialty restaurant, Muranos, we had the best meal on any cruise ship to date and it was 200% better than what we had last year in the Volendam's PG.

This cruise was so port intensive with three 9 -10 hour shore tours that caused us to miss our 6pm early seating 3 nights in a row so we had to eat in their casual dinning venue on the lido deck. For this reason I wish we had HAL's AYWD as it would have been perfect for this cruise. You will see that we are booked on the Equinox for 2010 but we are considering cancelling this and booking on the Eurodam, but I have read a lot on this forum about disappointments with this new ship.

This has sure become and "entertaining" thread in a hurry. Can't find this much bickering, oops sorry, "differences of opinion" at your average hockey game:rolleyes:

I think I'm just going to wait until I experience "AYW dining" before making any more comments. That way I can speak from "experience" instead of from "speculation" and "hear say"

In the mean time, some questions to ponder, perhaps?

Why do you have to "put your two cents in".. but it's only

a "penny for your thoughts"? Where's that extra penny

going to?

Once you're in heaven, do you get stuck wearing the clothes you were buried in for eternity?

Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured

out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when

babies wake up like every two hours?

If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?

Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put

money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?

Why do doctors leave the room while you change? They're going to see you naked anyway.

Why is "bra" singular and "panties" plural?

Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast to a horrible crisp, which no decent human being would eat?

If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a

stupid song about him?

Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the carpool lane?

If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains on all

fours? They're both dogs!

If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that ACME crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made

from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come

from morons?

Why do they call it an asteroid when it's outside the hemisphere, but call it a hemorrhoid when it's in your butt?

Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog's face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him for a car ride, he sticks his head out the window?

Do the Alphabet song and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

have the same tune?

Why did you just try singing the two songs above?;)

OMIGOSH! I just started reading this message board today and I had to skip most of the pages 'cause it is just TOO big. Copper, I think you hit the nail on the head. There are just too many unanswered questions in this life. Unassigned vs assigned seating is just one of them. : )

I tried NCL's Free-style Cruising and I hated it. I usually travel solo, so I like assigned seating. My mother and I will be on HAL next month, so I guess we'll see how we like the hybrid. I'm reserving judgment until then.

Stephanie, my wife and I loved your post. Funny stuff!!

Also to clarify I have eaten at many eateries from low class to high class and I am almost sure that I will enjoy our cruise. I fish on boats where they have bunks to sleep in and the best fair is with cheese or without. I have eaten meals cooked in fires(Boy scouts), cheese and bread in France(etc.) and fine eateries in many cities. I have lived in the four corners of our wonderful country (excluding Alaska)(We settled in California).

I assure you I would and will enjoy a cheese sandwich on board if that is all they serve. Cruising is a great experience and I can't wait to get back on board. 39 days and counting.

Next great experience is just around the corner. Gotta love the sea!

Stephanie, my wife and I loved your post. Funny stuff!!

Also to clarify I have eaten at many eateries from low class to high class and I am almost sure that I will enjoy our cruise. I fish on boats where they have bunks to sleep in and the best fair is with cheese or without. I have eaten meals cooked in fires(Boy scouts), cheese and bread in France(etc.) and fine eateries in many cities. I have lived in the four corners of our wonderful country (excluding Alaska)(We settled in California).

I assure you I would and will enjoy a cheese sandwich on board if that is all they serve. Cruising is a great experience and I can't wait to get back on board. 39 days and counting.

Next great experience is just around the corner. Gotta love the sea!

I'm witcha. A bad day at sea beats a good day at work - anytime!

When we booked or 11/08/08 voyage last year, Oosterdam was not yet doing "As You Wish" dining. At the time we requested 6:15pm dining - lower level. It was waitlisted. TA called HAL a few weeks ago when we asked about whether we would have "Traditional" dining, which is what we definitely wanted, and was told by HAL that we were confirmed for Traditional dining at the 6:15pm seating on the lower level.

Everything I have seen on these boards and in the trip documents I picked up today reflects that the fixed Traditional dining times are at 5:45 and 8:00pm on the upper level. When I pointed this out, TA called HAL again and confirmed that we are definitely scheduled for 6:15pm, lower level, Traditional dining.

I wonder if there were more Traditional diners than they could accommodate on the upper level and they decided to expand the Traditional dining to some tables on the lower level, too. It will be interesting to see how it all works out!

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

• 2 weeks later...

We are considering sailing on the Rotterdam, a 12-day Scandinavia & Russia itinerary in June or July, 2009. I'd love to hear your experiences on the Rotterdam ........... any and all info will be wonderful! We have enjoyed traditional dining and would want to go that route. We tried anytime dining on NCL and didn't enjoy it as much as traditional.

Thanks for suggestions and hints and tips and ideas!

We are considering sailing on the Rotterdam, a 12-day Scandinavia & Russia itinerary in June or July, 2009. I'd love to hear your experiences on the Rotterdam ........... any and all info will be wonderful! We have enjoyed traditional dining and would want to go that route. We tried anytime dining on NCL and didn't enjoy it as much as traditional.

Thanks for suggestions and hints and tips and ideas!

Hi deezeee2,

We were on the Rotterdam for 15 days this past May and had AYW dining. We loved it. We were 2 couples, and sat at a table for 4 most nights. On our second night we had the dream team of Tommy and Dadang as our servers, and so we requested a table for 4 in their station every night.

We called for a reservation each morning, no problem to do this before breakfast and leaving for long days in port. On the few occasions we forgot to make a reservation, we just showed up and asked for a table in their station and never had to wait longer than 5 minutes at the most.

I wish now we'd asked if we could have a "standing reservation" as others have mentioned doing -- but still it was no trouble to us to make the reservation, there was always time in the mornings. Hope this helps some. :)

well,well,well i am going on my second hal cruise dec.7 20 days of bliss.my first was in feb last second booking.travelling solo i chose trad late seating,didn't want to eat alone,but was given open seating instead turned out to be great met more people,gave me more choices,had no problem getting seated.ate were i wanted thought food was great!!this time chose open seating,if given trad will have just as good as time,i booked 4 cruise,and will enjoy it no matter when i eat.looking 4 problems before you leave,will only cause problems once you leave. enjoy your cruise,and don't sweat the small stuff!! life is what you make it:)