Which airport New York

Thatmom

Hi,

If I was to take a cruise from New York and I'm flying in from Seattle which airport would you recommend?

Plus where would you suggest to stay the night before..

For some reason New York is really out of my comfort zone..

But I would love to See the Statute of Liberty..

Thanks,

Carla

Typically there are more domestic flights into Laguardia than JFK and the airport has less flight delays. So, I would recommend Laguardia first but I would just look for flights and fares and airlines that work best for you.

I would recommend staying in New York City rather than outside the city. There is certainly lots to do there and it is a great city. If you want to be near the ferrys to get out to the Statue of Liberty you could look for a hotel near Battery Park but if you want to see many of the sites in the city I would just look at hotels say in the Midtown East area of Times Square. Taxis are plentiful and of course you can walk to so many places.

Keith

from Seattle you will have a hard time finding non stops to LGA but you will be able to find them for JFK and EWR. If you are leaving from either the Manhattan or Brooklyn Cruise terminals, JFK or LGA are easier(although EWR to Manhattan isn't that bad) but if you are leaving from Port Liberty in Bayonne than EWR is the way to go.

LGA has less delays?....not in my experience.

If your cruise leaves from the Manhattan piers, you will be passing real close to the Statue of Liberty on your ship. (I am not certain about the other NYC area ports) It is one of the highlights of the cruise! I am a NYC girl, and I have never visited the Statue of Liberty, it is good enough for me to see her from a ship or boat.:p That said, there is a ferry to the Statue of Liberty that leaves from the Jersey City area of NJ (which is directly across the Hudson from NY) called Liberty State Park. I am not familiar with the hotels in NJ, but I know that it is always better to stick with a National chain, even if it costs of few bucks more. Before you book anything, ask here, because close to both EWR, JFK, and LGA, there are some questionable areas to stay.

Hi,

If I was to take a cruise from New York and I'm flying in from Seattle which airport would you recommend?

Plus where would you suggest to stay the night before..

For some reason New York is really out of my comfort zone..

But I would love to See the Statute of Liberty..

Thanks,

Carla

from Seattle you will have a hard time finding non stops to LGA but you will be able to find them for JFK and EWR. If you are leaving from either the Manhattan or Brooklyn Cruise terminals, JFK or LGA are easier(although EWR to Manhattan isn't that bad) but if you are leaving from Port Liberty in Bayonne than EWR is the way to go.

LGA has less delays?....not in my experience.

You are correct about flights from Seattle. Non stops are into JFK and EWR

LGA does have less delays. JFK actually had the highest percentage of delays of any large US airport thru the first four months of 2007. Don't get me wrong, LGA is not great but JFK is worse for delays.

Keith

If I have a choice, I always use JFK. More direct flights and longer runways. And I have always had less delays at JFK.

I don't like the short runways at Laguardia. Having been on an ATA flight once that actually touched down at LaGuardia and had to pull back up immediately and circle again - it was too unsettling to me.

(Got2Cruise...you'll be proud of me this time)

Thatmom...price will most likely determine whether you fly into LGA or JFK. if your cruise leaves from NYC or from Red Hook (Brooklyn)...then i'd fly into one of the two NY airports. since you want to see lady liberty...it's not hard to take the bus or subways. but i would stay in a hotel close to the pier. you can find your way to Battery Park to get to the ferry for the statue.

EWR is also a good choice if you are sailing from NYC or the NJ ports.

more later...just had a 10min break from my meeting.

Hi,

I didn't say this right. I want to be able to see the Statue of Liberty from a Ship. So what Ship and What would be the best airport for that Ship? Then what hotel that would be close to the port..Sorry I didn't explain myself very well.

thanks again,

Carla

Hi,

I didn't say this right. I want to be able to see the Statue of Liberty from a Ship. So what Ship and What would be the best airport for that Ship? Then what hotel that would be close to the port..Sorry I didn't explain myself very well.

thanks again,

Carla

Any ship that leaves from the Manhattan Cruise terminal has the best view of the Statue of Liberty. Leaving from brooklyn you get close but don't pass it and Port Liberty Bayonne you see it from about 1 mile away.

NCL, Carnival and HAL leave from Manhattan

Celebrity RC leave from Bayonne.

Cunard and Princess leave from Brooklyn

If I haven't named your cruise line it probably leaves from Manhattan.

If I have a choice, I always use JFK. More direct flights and longer runways. And I have always had less delays at JFK.

I don't like the short runways at Laguardia. Having been on an ATA flight once that actually touched down at LaGuardia and had to pull back up immediately and circle again - it was too unsettling to me.

I once landed at LGA in a horrific thunderstorm (all three airports were closed because of high winds and the storm but we were running out of gas) and when we landed, we hit so hard we blew out the tires on the landing gear and had to be towed in.

Not much scares me any longer.

My choice is LGA because of the short cab ride into Manhattan.

I once landed at LGA in a horrific thunderstorm (all three airports were closed because of high winds and the storm but we were running out of gas) and when we landed, we hit so hard we blew out the tires on the landing gear and had to be towed in.

Not much scares me any longer.

My choice is LGA because of the short cab ride into Manhattan.

Its nothing like bouncing off the berm before the runway(landing east to west) and then landing or taking off from LGA and making an emergency landing in JFK because of a bird strike(not a teamster)....I ve had more than one touch and go landing at LGA because of a runway conflict...

I want to be able to see the Statue of Liberty from a Ship. So what Ship and What would be the best airport for that Ship? Then what hotel that would be close to the port..Carla

As has been explained, there are alot of variables. First you have to pick a ship. Your departure point will then help ID the AP & the best hotel. However, if price is an object, it may effect your choices. Remember, NY is an expensive city. I thought Seattle was downright inexpensive by comparison.

We're flying Jet Blue from JFK to Burbank, Ca. I know, I know, EWR would have been the better choice but the prices were outrageous to LAX. :eek: Question... what do you suggest for transportation from Cape Liberty to JFK, a cab or transfer van service? Would you have any recommendations? Thanks!!!

We're flying Jet Blue from JFK to Burbank, Ca. I know, I know, EWR would have been the better choice but the prices were outrageous to LAX. :eek: Question... what do you suggest for transportation from Cape Liberty to JFK, a cab or transfer van service? Would you have any recommendations? Thanks!!!

Get a car service to pick you up(I use Arecibo 718 7836465).

Cabs do not have to take you and can charge whatever you agree to(http://www.nyc.gov/tlc). I don't think the normal Van services will take you at all(Super shuttle or airlink) and most national car services will be excessive. i.e. Carmel etc....

what was your price difference? you probably just made it up in your can/van service.

Its nothing like bouncing off the berm before the runway(landing east to west) and then landing or taking off from LGA and making an emergency landing in JFK because of a bird strike(not a teamster)....I ve had more than one touch and go landing at LGA because of a runway conflict...

LOL and that runway out over the water is SCARY!

what was your price difference? you probably just made it up in your can/van service.

Jet Blue from JFK to Burbank - 2 people $378.80 total

Out of EWR anywhere from $417 to 589 per person to LAX:eek:

Quite significant...don't you think!!!

Jet Blue from JFK to Burbank - 2 people $378.80 total

Out of EWR anywhere from $417 to 589 per person to LAX:eek:

Quite significant...don't you think!!!

oh heck yeah. my fave to use is Air Brook.

As has been explained, there are alot of variables. First you have to pick a ship. Your departure point will then help ID the AP & the best hotel. However, if price is an object, it may effect your choices. Remember, NY is an expensive city. I thought Seattle was downright inexpensive by comparison.

Hi,

I want to cruise Carnival..I'm shooting for my platinum card ..

Pluse I just plain like carnival..

I"m not sure which Ship..I just want one that takes me by the Statute Of Liberty..I don't care where it goes..

I would like to do a non-stop from Seattle On Alaska airlines. I have miles..Thanks for any help you can give,

Carla

Hi,

I want to cruise Carnival..I'm shooting for my platinum card ..

Pluse I just plain like carnival..

I"m not sure which Ship..I just want one that takes me by the Statute Of Liberty..I don't care where it goes..

I would like to do a non-stop from Seattle On Alaska airlines. I have miles..Thanks for any help you can give,

Carla

Alaska does not fly nonstop from Seattle to the NYC airport. You would have to fly into Newark if you want a nonstop from Seattle on Alaska. Otherwise, you can use your Alaska miles to book a nonstop on AA into JFK. All other flights have at least one stop. The best option is take Alaska to LAX, then the nonstop on AA into JFK-bigger plane, better service.

You would probably be happiest taking one of the NCL cruises to New England/Canada. 6 days, reasonably priced-leaves from the Manhattan cruise terminal, sails right by the Statue of Liberty twice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

As it is my 1st time coming to NY city for a cruise leaving Brooklyn terminal in August, and we intend to spend 2 nights prior to the cruise, could someone please help me to answers a few questions:

1) We will be flying into Newark (EWR) airport and don't know if it is better to spend 2 nights in NJ or NY

2) Which areas are suitable for family with young child

3) How long is the cab ride from Brookyn Terminal back to EWR because our flight is at 1:10pm. Can we make it?

4) How much is the cost for a cab ride from EWR to Mahattan Midtown or from Brooklyn terminal to EWR.

Any answers or insight info are greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone,

As it is my 1st time coming to NY city for a cruise leaving Brooklyn terminal in August, and we intend to spend 2 nights prior to the cruise, could someone please help me to answers a few questions:

1) We will be flying into Newark (EWR) airport and don't know if it is better to spend 2 nights in NJ or NY

NY City is always easier for public transport

2) Which areas are suitable for family with young child

Pretty much every where in Manhattan. If you want to be near central Park pick a hotel on Central Park south.... or along 6th Avenue near 57th street

3) How long is the cab ride from Brookyn Terminal back to EWR because our flight is at 1:10pm. Can we make it?

Its a 40 minute ride most of the time you'll be off by 10 am which will give you plenty of time.

4) How much is the cost for a cab ride from EWR to Mahattan Midtown or from Brooklyn terminal to EWR.

A cab from EWR costs about $60.00 to Manhattan(west side) slightly more to east side. From the Brooklyn terminal is meter plus $15.00 plus roundtrip tolls(about 8.00) plus tip---around $70.00 a car service will be less about $50.00 I use Arecibo 718 7836465...Carmel has a website that people on the boards have talked about(both positively and negatively)...

Any answers or insight info are greatly appreciated.

see answers above

Many thanks for your answers, Smeyer418. BTW, what is Car service? Is this some kind of service offered by some private car owners? furthermore, can I get it from the airport or Cruise terminal or I have to reserve it in advance.

Thanks again!

Many thanks for your answers, Smeyer418. BTW, what is Car service? Is this some kind of service offered by some private car owners? furthermore, can I get it from the airport or Cruise terminal or I have to reserve it in advance.

Thanks again!

a car service is a company that runs a service that provides cars or limo to the general public and on call or in advance arranges to meet a fare(you the person being transported). In NY a taxi is car that is waiting for you to hail them either in a line or on a street corner(or is driving by). In NY City all taxis are yellow are licensed to pick up street hails(without calling or in advance). A car service(generally but not always a black car) responds to a telephone call or a prearranged service. Arecibo generally wants you to call when you are ready and will be there in a short time. Carmel will make advanced arrangements. Arecibo is generally cheaper. Car services in NY are also licensed but the number of them is not controlled. Taxis in NY(called medallion cabs) are strictly controlled and the medallion when sold goes for close to $500,000...there is a lot of money in street hails. At the Brooklyn Cruise terminal, the terminal has a contract with a car service so they are waiting there for you as well and they generally charge twice what a private car service will do if you make the arrangement yourself.

Archived